Priesthoods Taken Away Top Reasons?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Priesthoods Taken Away Top Reasons?

Post by brianj »

Welcome to the board.

I am not aware of any doctrine teaching the priesthood is regularly taken away from people in the afterlife.

In this life one can lose the ability to exercise the priesthood though sin, but the priesthood is only taken away through excommunication. We have been warned that our ability to use and rely on the priesthood in the future will depend on our paying the price now through study, faithfulness, and growing our faith, but I don't recall any warning that we will lose our ordinations if we don't do these things now.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Priesthoods Taken Away Top Reasons?

Post by gardener4life »

There are a few snippets that hint it can be taken away for bad behavior but they are rare exceptions and not examples happening to a lot of people.

I was thinking recently in book of mormon study recently that one of the reasons of the downfall of the Nephite and Jaredite nations was failure to honor and revere the priesthood as sacred, among their other reasons. It is true that rejection of the truth as a society was a main point, and loving wickedness more than loving God, and corruption from Gadianton robbers ruining the government from within (this is even quoted in either Helaman or 3rd Nephi...). You can also go into several other reasons.

But failure to honor the priesthood and see it as sacred and the other things of God as sacred is a key issue.

Helaman 2:13 And behold, in the end of this book ye shall see that this Gadianton did prove the overthrow, yea, almost the entire destruction of the people of Nephi. 14 Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi, from which I have taken all the account which I have written.