BSA announces it is now allowing girls

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

BSA announces it is now allowing girls

Post by Col. Flagg »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... ut-n809836
The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.
Um... isn't that why there's this?

http://www.girlscouts.org/

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: BSA announces it is now allowing girls

Post by kittycat51 »

So glad my boys are done with scouting. Please Church leaders, just pull the plug already.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

This was very predictable.

The BSA no longer has any real purpose. They are no longer any different than the Boys and Girls Club. Maybe even less effective.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Think they'll at least change the name to something other than "Boy Scouts" now? I'm thinking BGSA, or even more accurately: BGTQA.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Twilight Zone. Let's just call it the They Scouts. Gender-neutral.

I just checked the Church's Newsroom link online, but didn't see an announcement. As active as the Church is in Scouting, I doubt leadership was unaware that this was coming.

EdGoble
captain of 1,000

Post by EdGoble »

Col. Flagg wrote: October 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... ut-n809836
The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

It's always been a different organization, so now they have competition.
I doubt this will affect the Church's program, since the Church isn't forced to change its charter.
But just one more reason for the Church to analyze whether the BSA fits its needs.
And now the BSA will probably have to change its name, no longer being for just "boys."
But with the Church leaving behind the various programs that they are already withdrawing from, and perhaps if they withdraw altogether, the BSA has to think about self preservation.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Having had many years experience in all levels of scouting up to and including international level with the Asia/Pacific Scouting Area. I welcome this development. It is about time the BSA joined the 20th century. I have seen coed scouting and I know that it can work, and work well.

However I give this dual program model about two years to work before the Packs and Troop start to become fully coed. The problem is what do you do when there is only a handful of girls in say some rural community that want to do scouting? Do you tell them, sorry no scouting for you or do you just put them into the program with the boys. I think the latter is the choice that is going to get made.

This doesn't really impact the LDS troops in any direct way as the option to maintain a single gender troop is always there, as it is in most other countries. If this follow the trend in Australia, Canada and other national scouting programs over the years, the troops will become fully coed and then the patrols as well. How are you going to run a girls only patrol if you only have a couple of girls in your troop at first? By the time you get enough girls to have female only patrols they will be so incorporated into the program female patrols will be unnecessary.

All this drama wasn't really needed or very helpful. They should have just done this quietly by sending a letter to the various units telling them it was their option to admit girl or not as they see fit. Scouts Australia did it this way and now nearly 30 years on everyone has come to just think that is the way it always has been.

If this follows the pattern seen in Australia, New Zealand and Canada, and there is no reason to suspect it will not this will be real trouble for the Girl Scouts. Their program will likely contract as it has in those other countries. They really should have found a way to merge the two programs.

With this action by the BSA and a similar announcement by the two scouting programs in Saudi Arabia, this leave only one country, the Philippines, with single gender scouting.

DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Post by DEEPER storm »

Boy Scouts vs. Girl Scouts: All is not well in the world of Scouting

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... d_the.html

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

You know what? I actually kinda welcome this development. Change the name of the organization from Boy Scouts of America to something like American Scouting Assoiation, and you are good to go.

Part of the point of Scouting was to teach essential survival skills, how to develop a good work ethic, how to integrate successfully into society, how to have fun in ways besides playing video games, etc. That is something that can apply to both girls and boys... and frankly, the world need this nowadays. Too many kids are being raised as spoiled brats... and Scouting would be a good way to teach them essential things in a fun and positive manner, regardless of sex or orientation (provided it is run well of course).

Just make sure you add merit badges for caring for kids, painting your nails, as well... etc. XD. Of course, there are downsides to it as well... such as going camping with a mixed sex group, which may prove to be a big thorn in the side given the conditions of morality in the world nowadays.

Ultimately though, I think that this change might very well prove to be a blessing in disguise.
Last edited by Durzan on October 11th, 2017, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Silver wrote: October 11th, 2017, 2:08 pm Twilight Zone. Let's just call it the They Scouts. Gender-neutral.

I just checked the Church's Newsroom link online, but didn't see an announcement. As active as the Church is in Scouting, I doubt leadership was unaware that this was coming.
I don't see anything official on the Church's website either, but our local news station reported some statement from the Church about how our YW programs work well and there would be no need for the Church to sponser the Scouting program for girls. (something to that effect)

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

The announcement said the board unanimously voted. Isn't one of the board members a general authority who would have been part of the unanimous decision?

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

h_p wrote: October 11th, 2017, 2:00 pm Think they'll at least change the name to something other than "Boy Scouts" now? I'm thinking BGSA, or even more accurately: BGTQA.
You win the day.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Durzan wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:02 pm You know what? I actually kinda welcome this development. Change the name of the organization from Boy Scouts of America to something like American Scouting Assoiation, and you are good to go.

Part of the point of Scouting was to teach essential survival skills, how to develop a good work ethic, how to integrate successfully into society, how to have fun in ways besides playing video games, etc. That is something that can apply to both girls and boys... and frankly, the world need this nowadays. Too many kids are being raised as spoiled brats... and Scouting would be a good way to teach them essential things in a fun and positive manner, regardless of sex or orientation (provided it is run well of course).

Just make sure you add merit badges for caring for kids, painting your nails, as well... etc. XD. Of course, there are downsides to it as well... such as going camping with a mixed sex group, which may prove to be a big thorn in the side given the conditions of morality in the world nowadays.

Ultimately though, I think that this change might very well prove to be a blessing in disguise.
Well, that's why they have this other thing called GIRL scouts. The whole point of Boy Scouts was to provide a program specifically geared towards boys. There are reasons that you don't take hormonally charged boys and girls and have them sleep in close proximity out in the wilderness. Boys and girls that age are interested in one another, that's just nature. It makes it harder to focus and introduces a whole new dynamic that frankly isn't needed for the activities at hand.

I'm saying this as an Eagle Scout, former scoutmaster, and daughter of four girls (no boys). I love the fact that the girls at church do girls camp (not real camping mind you) but they just aren't interested on the whole about going out into the woods and doing fire and knife stuff. Some are, like my girls, and we do that kind of stuff when we go camping and around the house. We live in a rural area so I take them hiking and don't treat them any different than how I'd treat boys when it comes to various skills.

I think it is just as important for a girl to know those things as a boy, but where it gets problematic is that many girls just don't like that stuff. Mixing them with boys introduces issues for both of them and I personally think it is a horrible idea. If boys just want to be boys and focus on boy stuff, where can they go nowadays? Same for girls. If I wanted all four of my girls to do all the stuff the Boy Scouts did, I'd put them in Girl Scouts, problem solved.

Girl Scouts will probably start allowing boys and then you'll just have two competing organizations that offer roughly the same thing instead of two different options that cater to the needs of each child.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

kgrigio wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:48 pm The announcement said the board unanimously voted. Isn't one of the board members a general authority who would have been part of the unanimous decision?
Yeah... I thought Elder Holland was on the board.
On May 20, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was elected as a member of the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board during the BSA’s National Annual Meeting.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/elder-h ... t?lang=eng
I also believe it's time to distance the church youth program from scouting. Enough posturing and delaying.
gkearney wrote: October 11th, 2017, 3:16 pm If this follows the pattern seen in Australia, New Zealand and Canada, and there is no reason to suspect it will not this will be real trouble for the Girl Scouts. Their program will likely contract as it has in those other countries. They really should have found a way to merge the two programs.
The scouting program here in Canada more matches the BSA than Australia or New Zealand, especially for the LDS troops. I know when I was a part of scouting, most LDS troops here only interacted with other LDS troops from Canada and the USA. The church even held LDS jamborees that were male only. I haven't heard that this had changed in either country.
Last edited by Sunain on October 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Who is going to send a 16 year old girl camping with 16 year old boys.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Seek the Truth wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm Who is going to send a 16 year old girl camping with 16 year old boys.
Yeah, even if they segregate them to different areas of the camp, issues are going to arise. I can't see the church staying in the scouting program much longer. They've had plenty of time to make a very good alternative. If they don't have a really good program already done, they are solely responsible for letting down the youth.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Sunain wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:50 pm
Seek the Truth wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm Who is going to send a 16 year old girl camping with 16 year old boys.
Yeah, even if they segregate them to different areas of the camp, issues are going to arise. I can't see the church staying in the scouting program much longer. They've had plenty of time to make a very good alternative. If they don't have a really good program already done, they are solely responsible for letting down the youth.

Coed camping happens all the time on those pioneer treks.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Never sent your youth on a pioneer trek I guess.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Sunain wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:41 pm
kgrigio wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:48 pm The announcement said the board unanimously voted. Isn't one of the board members a general authority who would have been part of the unanimous decision?
Yeah... I thought Elder Holland was on the board.
On May 20, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was elected as a member of the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board during the BSA’s National Annual Meeting.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/elder-h ... t?lang=eng
I also believe it's time to distance the church youth program from scouting. Enough posturing and delaying.
gkearney wrote: October 11th, 2017, 3:16 pm If this follows the pattern seen in Australia, New Zealand and Canada, and there is no reason to suspect it will not this will be real trouble for the Girl Scouts. Their program will likely contract as it has in those other countries. They really should have found a way to merge the two programs.
The scouting program here in Canada more matches the BSA than Australia or New Zealand, especially for the LDS troops. I know when I was a part of scouting, most LDS troops here only interacted with other LDS troops from Canada and the USA. The church even held LDS jamborees that were male only. I haven't heard that this had changed in either country.
LDS Scouts go to National and international jamborees all the time and they are coed.

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

The Church's youth organization is already co-ed in a sense. Young men and young women typically have separate activities, but do have combined activities and events on a regular basis. Of course, it's nonsensical for the BOY Scouts of America to admit girls unless they're planning a name change. Honestly, rather than have girls in the Boy Scouts, I think it would make more sense for the BSA and Girl Scouts to merge and continue to exist as separate branches (retaining their names) under an organization called Scouts USA.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

5tev3 wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:15 pm I think it is just as important for a girl to know those things as a boy, but where it gets problematic is that many girls just don't like that stuff. Mixing them with boys introduces issues for both of them and I personally think it is a horrible idea. If boys just want to be boys and focus on boy stuff, where can they go nowadays? Same for girls. If I wanted all four of my girls to do all the stuff the Boy Scouts did, I'd put them in Girl Scouts, problem solved.
This is exactly my problem with it. For a lot of, if not practically all, boys, transitioning from ages 11 through 13 or 14 is a huge change. Going through puberty, finding their place in the pack, and becoming comfortable with who they are is all happening at this age. I was a scoutmaster for many years, and saw it with nearly every boy that came through my troop. It's a difficult and awkward age, and I've always felt that scouting was a great safe-space for the boys to stretch and transition into manhood. Throwing a bunch of girls into the mix on campouts and other activities at this age I think would take away that safe zone for boys to just explore what it means to be a boy. As they get older, I don't think segregating them is as big a deal, and teen boys are more interested in the girls anyway, but still, it's always good to have times where they can just get away from the pressure of being on their best behavior for the girls' sakes.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Brothers and sisters, we are seeing the fruits of prophecy. Earlier this year, likely with no knowledge of this eventual decision from mortal sources, the church leadership changed policies for boys so they still participate in Scouting but stop when they turn 14, around the time they begin to figure out what their new hormones are for. If not for prophecy we would have seen the church caught entirely off guard and unprepared for this change. But, thanks to prophetic revelation, the church was able to change policies before this change came about.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

gkearney wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:59 pm
Never sent your youth on a pioneer trek I guess.
Levels of adult supervision not even close to the same.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

Girls could already join as Venture scouts when they were 14. As long as the chartered organization had a crew, it was already co-ed. All this does is make it so girls can join a troop. My son is in our community troop (way better than our LDS program) so this could affect us, but I'm not overly bothered by it. We'll see how I feel about troop camps if/when some girls join though.
I still think the church needs to drop scouting though.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

EdGoble wrote: October 11th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: October 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... ut-n809836

It's always been a different organization, so now they have competition.
I doubt this will affect the Church's program, since the Church isn't forced to change its charter.
But just one more reason for the Church to analyze whether the BSA fits its needs.
And now the BSA will probably have to change its name, no longer being for just "boys."
But with the Church leaving behind the various programs that they are already withdrawing from, and perhaps if they withdraw altogether, the BSA has to think about self preservation.
I think your wording is a bit upsetting no offense. You said they have to think about self preservation. But it's their selfishness that got them into this mess on their own. They shat in the nest, and have to live with it. If you say self preservation it makes it sound like someone did that to them.

I hope I didn't make you feel upset but I had to make a point. The BSA chose to go downhill by throwing away and sacrificing family values to cater to money and special interest groups. That's what started this. And people full of indulgence also were coming along wanting to be paid to be pro scouters and at the same time prey on little kids.

'Self indulgence = not self preservation or self respect'