Does this sound like -

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Does this sound like -

Post by Arenera »

Snuffer and the Remnants or not?!
One month later, on September 8, Rigdon was excommunicated from the church by a Common Council of the Church which had been convened by Presiding Bishop Newel K. Whitney. Rigdon refused to attend this trial after which he, in turn, likewise excommunicated the members of the Twelve. Rigdon fled Nauvoo, claiming that he felt threatened by Young's supporters.

After the succession schism, Rigdon solidified and led an independent faction of Latter Day Saints, originally called the "Church of Christ", but at one point was called as the Church of Jesus Christ of the Children of Zion. This sect is often referred to as the Rigdonites. The Latter Day Saints who followed Rigdon separated themselves and settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. On April 6, 1845, Rigdon presided over a conference of the Church of Christ, which he claimed was the rightful continuation of the church founded by Smith. He then reorganized the First Presidency and called his own Quorum of Twelve Apostles.

Although Rigdon's church briefly flourished through the publication of his periodical, The Messenger and Advocate, quarrels among the Rigdonites led most members of the church to desert the senior leader by 1847. A few loyalists, notably William Bickerton, eventually reorganized the church in 1862 under the name The Church of Jesus Christ.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Does this sound like -

Post by gkearney »

The Church of Jesus Christ (Rigdon) still exist to this day. The are the third largest of the six founding restorationist faiths, after the LDS and RLDS, with about 20,000 members.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

gkearney wrote: October 7th, 2017, 7:45 pm The Church of Jesus Christ (Rigdon) still exist to this day. The are the third largest of the six founding restorationist faiths, after the LDS and RLDS, with about 20,000 members.
Interesting, I didn’t know that.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

But in the time and attention you took and SPENT to learn about an apostate, you could have instead been reading about Jesus and in the Book of Mormon.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

gardener4life wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:01 pm But in the time and attention you took and SPENT to learn about an apostate, you could have instead been reading about Jesus and in the Book of Mormon.
I suppose the same could be said to you for reading this.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

It's believed that Sidney Rigdon suffered a traumatic brain injury. From Wikipedia below,
In March 1832 they were brutally attacked by a mob and tarred and feathered. Sidney received head injuries that occasionally affected his emotional stability for the rest of his life. His friend Newel K. Whitney said that thereafter he was "either in the bottom of the cellar or up in the garrett window
Sidney Rigdon experienced many things most people can't even imagine. Also, The Lord said this about him,
4 Thou art blessed, for thou shalt do great things. Behold thou wast sent forth, even as John, to prepare the way before me, and before Elijah which should come, and thou knewest it not.
I work regularly with people who have TBI's, which has increased my appreciation for Sidney and what he went through. He certainly had his shortcomings, however, I believe he's very misunderstood and we don't have any idea what he's fully accomplished during the restoration's early days and since.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

dewajack wrote: October 7th, 2017, 11:24 pm It's believed that Sidney Rigdon suffered a traumatic brain injury. From Wikipedia below,
In March 1832 they were brutally attacked by a mob and tarred and feathered. Sidney received head injuries that occasionally affected his emotional stability for the rest of his life. His friend Newel K. Whitney said that thereafter he was "either in the bottom of the cellar or up in the garrett window
Sidney Rigdon experienced many things most people can't even imagine. Also, The Lord said this about him,
4 Thou art blessed, for thou shalt do great things. Behold thou wast sent forth, even as John, to prepare the way before me, and before Elijah which should come, and thou knewest it not.
I work regularly with people who have TBI's, which has increased my appreciation for Sidney and what he went through. He certainly had his shortcomings, however, I believe he's very misunderstood and we don't have any idea what he's fully accomplished during the restoration's early days and since.
There were some issues though:
D&C 63:55 And now behold, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, am not pleased with my servant Sidney Rigdon; he exalted himself in his heart, and received not counsel, but grieved the Spirit;
56 Wherefore his writing is not acceptable unto the Lord, and he shall make another; and if the Lord receive it not, behold he standeth no longer in the office to which I have appointed him.

Joseph lost confidence in Sidney. Maybe it was due to the brain injury.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

setyourselffree wrote: October 7th, 2017, 10:01 pm
gardener4life wrote: October 7th, 2017, 9:01 pm But in the time and attention you took and SPENT to learn about an apostate, you could have instead been reading about Jesus and in the Book of Mormon.
I suppose the same could be said to you for reading this.
AOF#13