[Deleted]

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Re: Your best predictions on the Remnant Sects

Post by Seek the Truth »

Slow growth, ending when Snuffer dies. What are the different sects?

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Fade away into obscurity.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

My uninspired predictions:

I predict slow or negative growth, at least for the next 10 years or so.

Polygamy: no

Becoming atheists: some already have

Will it last if Snuffer dies? Depends on how independent the fellowships can become. If people can get their own revelations, it will endure past Snuffer (who's in his 60s) if we can't, it won't. Some might go back to mainstream LDS, most can't unsee what's been seen and will do something else. It really is very decentralized in my experience. Zion (not that we're anywhere near zion) will be full of prophets. If that doesn't materialize, then it will fail.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I have a friend who once predicted that Denver Snuffer would die an "ignominious death". I wouldn't hope that on anybody, but who knows?

What I hope and think may happen?:
35 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.(2 Nephi 27)
I think it's already failing and everyone outside seems to perceive the same. I think the movement will start shrinking. They will start seeing Denver really is not who he claims sooner or later. Maybe a leadership takeover (although they claim none)?

Okay, you're turn!

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Perhaps the strangest thing about Snufferism is on one hand rejecting the arm of flesh (prophets) and then looking for true messengers at the same time, when we have already have them.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Possibly they will fade into obscurity once they realize they have created more doctrinal and organizational problems than they had pronounced as present in the LDS church. I think Underdog and Thomas will still be HERE though.

silk
captain of 50

Post by silk »

I think some followers will leave when Denver starts asking more difficult things of them. From my understanding (which might be wrong), it seems that they believe the Melchizedek Priesthood was lost from the church in 1844, so they will need a new dispensation to bring about Zion. From what we learn in the New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Church History, that means a lot will be asked of those who have accepted their covenant.

They will need to start aggressive missionary work to spread the news (after all, time is running out). In the early church days, they even asked men to go on missions who already had wives and children. If they are going to truly be Zion, that means living the law of consecration with its attendant sacrifices. And they need to work to build a temple quickly, so as not to face the rejection they believe the Lord gave the church in Nauvoo. If they are intending to use the same/similar ordinances as in LDS temples, that also means a return to the modest dress standards some of the remnant seemed glad to eschew.

On the other hand, I believe that some of the hard-core followers will relish those challenges. It's after Snuffer dies and they face a succession challenge that I can see things fading away. Groups will splinter, but maybe some of the strongest fellowships will survive in some form. But since they seem to have a hard time deciding what they collectively believe right now, I'm not too optimistic.

I've found great interest in watching the group from outside, though. Researching some of their concerns has helped me to understand better the vital importance of things such as keys and priesthood authority, and have given me a greater appreciation for the current church as well as early church members.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 6:09 pm
Seek the Truth wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 6:08 pm Slow growth, ending when Snuffer dies. What are the different sects?
I heard that there were two sects now. One Who Is Watching claims that there are two main groups.
Who is the one who is watching?

I have heard someone reference that name before. Who is it?

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

All LDS splinter groups and good people of all faiths will be gathered into one.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm So, let's have all the prophets, seers, revelators, predictors, prognosticators and guessers take their best shot and say what they think is going to happen with the (now supposedly two) Remnant Sects.

Will it grow? Will it shrink? Will it adopt polygamy? Will it fracture into three, four or more factions? Will it end Heaven's Gate style? (Btw, there IS a super bright comet that has just entered the solar system!) Will it end by all these people coming back into the church? Will they become atheists? Will they become agnostics? Will they end up cursed? Will they convert to Christianity? Will they get converts from Christianity? Will they convert the LDS church? Will they become Buddhists?

There's no need to answer all those questions. Those are just to stimulate the brain. Have at it.
It matters not to me. I have no intention of following what they are doing. Instead, I intend to continue to follow Christ and help build up Zion. Let the dead bury the dead, and all that.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

I think we will see the prophecies of Isaiah come true in many of our lifetimes. I think we will see the love of men grow cold. We are already seeing it right now. Last March, Snuffer said, that the movement will be whittled down, like Gideon's army. If you are looking for big growth, I don't think you will find it. But God will work with those few that remain. So will the population of the earth be whittled down as well.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

As it was in the days of Noah . . .

Prediction: the Lord returns and decides to spare 8 people; the Remnant sects are reincarnated as prophets of the Neo-Mormon faith thousands of years later, as the Lord wants to see how their souls receive the stones they once cast.

Am I doing this right? :shock:

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

They will go the way of all flesh.

silk
captain of 50

Post by silk »

The following is part of one of the principles they are working toward accepting as a group. It's not authoritative, but it does, I think, show some of the mindset that will make it easy for them to splinter.
Sovereignty resides with the individuals. Any rights, principles, powers, or doctrinal interpretations are retained by the individuals. Everyone maintains the right to freely associate according to the dictates of their own conscience. God commands each person to discern and judge for themselves what is in accordance with their own conscience.

People have the right to not be trammeled, but they also must not trammel others. In any conflict, let the Lord decide who has done right. Judgment is the Lord’s role. He is the great judge. He has asked us to forgive everyone.
In summary, it seems to say that:
1. Individuals make their own doctrinal interpretations, not subjected to any earthly authority.
2. Judgment is based on individual conscience, and I suppose would be reflected in their actions.
3. "Let the Lord decide who has done right". But that's a problem in itself, because who speaks for the Lord if everyone is sovereign and they don't recognize a higher earthly authority?

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

silk wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 10:33 am The following is part of one of the principles they are working toward accepting as a group. It's not authoritative, but it does, I think, show some of the mindset that will make it easy for them to splinter.
Sovereignty resides with the individuals. Any rights, principles, powers, or doctrinal interpretations are retained by the individuals. Everyone maintains the right to freely associate according to the dictates of their own conscience. God commands each person to discern and judge for themselves what is in accordance with their own conscience.

People have the right to not be trammeled, but they also must not trammel others. In any conflict, let the Lord decide who has done right. Judgment is the Lord’s role. He is the great judge. He has asked us to forgive everyone.
1. Individuals make their own doctrinal interpretations, not subjected to any earthly authority.
2. Judgment is based on individual conscience, and I suppose would be reflected in their actions.
3. "Let the Lord decide who has done right". But that's a problem in itself, because who speaks for the Lord if everyone is sovereign and they don't recognize a higher earthly authority?
Without those principles, you cannot have Zion. Zion is prophesied to come. It must be on the earth to fulfill the prophesies.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Thomas wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 11:18 pm I think we will see the prophecies of Isaiah come true in many of our lifetimes. I think we will see the love of men grow cold. We are already seeing it right now. Last March, Snuffer said, that the movement will be whittled down, like Gideon's army. If you are looking for big growth, I don't think you will find it. But God will work with those few that remain. So will the population of the earth be whittled down as well.
Well, you have a lot to do so hopefully it's not too small.

Preach the gospel to all the world - basically you are starting over here and you need to fill the earth. I don't think you have even filled Utah. Can't piggy back off other church's on this one.

I guess which brings up another question knowing that the new Jerusalem needs to be built, gospel taught in all the world in the nations given tongue, temple work needs to be done, etc. etc. along with Denver proclaiming that all things would be done in this generation (next 20-30 years) Does Denver think he will take over the leadership of the LDS church or does he believe that despite the dwindling he will eventually take the gospel to all the world in the next few decades?

silk
captain of 50

Post by silk »

Thomas wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 12:23 pm
silk wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 10:33 am The following is part of one of the principles they are working toward accepting as a group. It's not authoritative, but it does, I think, show some of the mindset that will make it easy for them to splinter.

Without those principles, you cannot have Zion. Zion is prophesied to come. It must be on the earth to fulfill the prophesies.
I agree that Zion will come. Absolutely. And if it comes like in 4 Nephi, then it will come from an organized church structure. (Of course, if you don't believe that 4 Nephi 1 talks about a Zion people, then the rest of my comment will be meaningless for you.)

In 4 Nephi 1, the Lord's 12 disciples organized a church, everyone was converted to it, and then they were able to dispense with contentions, disputations, and bring all things in common.

And then, once they reached this pinnacle, did the church go away? Nope. In verse 14 we find some of the disciples dying, and "other disciples ordained in their stead." So apparently the organization was important not just for the establishment of a Zion people, but for the maintaining of it.

What happened to destroy it? In verse 20 it says that people had revolted "from the church", and that was more than 150 years later. So there was still a church. In fact, one of the main indictments against some of the break-off churches was that they did "administer that which was sacred until him to whom it had been forbidden because of unworthiness" (verse 27). In other words, not only was the true church organized, but it had the authority to pass judgment on its members, even to forbidding them from taking the sacrament if they were unworthy.

It seems plain that it wasn't every man deciding/interpreting his own doctrine, but there were those in authority making judgments. In essence, they were speaking for the Lord. Remember that in 3Nephi 27:27, Jesus specifically said that the disciples "shall be judges of this people", according to the judgment that Christ gave unto them.

In summation, I find it very difficult to imagine Zion coming without an organized church structure in place first. Thus, I believe that doctrinal differences and practices will eventually divide the people of the Remnant, especially once Denver Snuffer dies and the people try to decide what to do at that point.

jim
captain of 10

Post by jim »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm So, let's have all the prophets, seers, revelators, predictors, prognosticators and guessers take their best shot and say what they think is going to happen with the (now supposedly two) Remnant Sects.

Will it grow? Will it shrink? Will it adopt polygamy? Will it fracture into three, four or more factions? Will it end Heaven's Gate style? (Btw, there IS a super bright comet that has just entered the solar system!) Will it end by all these people coming back into the church? Will they become atheists? Will they become agnostics? Will they end up cursed? Will they convert to Christianity? Will they get converts from Christianity? Will they convert the LDS church? Will they become Buddhists?

There's no need to answer all those questions. Those are just to stimulate the brain. Have at it.
Depends. Do you have enough love for them to leave the 99 and seek them and bring them back to the fold, or would you rather spurn and make a game of them?

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

silk wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

I agree that Zion will come. Absolutely. And if it comes like in 4 Nephi, then it will come from an organized church structure. (Of course, if you don't believe that 4 Nephi 1 talks about a Zion people, then the rest of my comment will be meaningless for you.)

In 4 Nephi 1, the Lord's 12 disciples organized a church, everyone was converted to it, and then they were able to dispense with contentions, disputations, and bring all things in common.

And then, once they reached this pinnacle, did the church go away? Nope. In verse 14 we find some of the disciples dying, and "other disciples ordained in their stead." So apparently the organization was important not just for the establishment of a Zion people, but for the maintaining of it.

What happened to destroy it? In verse 20 it says that people had revolted "from the church", and that was more than 150 years later. So there was still a church. In fact, one of the main indictments against some of the break-off churches was that they did "administer that which was sacred until him to whom it had been forbidden because of unworthiness" (verse 27). In other words, not only was the true church organized, but it had the authority to pass judgment on its members, even to forbidding them from taking the sacrament if they were unworthy.

It seems plain that it wasn't every man deciding/interpreting his own doctrine, but there were those in authority making judgments. In essence, they were speaking for the Lord. Remember that in 3Nephi 27:27, Jesus specifically said that the disciples "shall be judges of this people", according to the judgment that Christ gave unto them.

In summation, I find it very difficult to imagine Zion coming without an organized church structure in place first. Thus, I believe that doctrinal differences and practices will eventually divide the people of the Remnant, especially once Denver Snuffer dies and the people try to decide what to do at that point.
I think you are bringing some traditions of men with you as far as definitions.

Lets start with church. Most LDS think of the "church" as the institution legally called the Corporation of the President of the Church of Latter Days of Jesus Christ, or as some people call it, the Mormon church.

I prefer Christ's definition:
D&C 10: 67 Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.

68 Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me; therefore he is not of my church.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I know that we are all very concerned about people "Getting it right." Yeah, this is important, it is important to God. However, consider Alma 29 where Alma wishes that he could "speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!" While that sounds like a genuine desire from a pure heart, he admits that such a wish is a sin. Why?

Such a desire ignores the fact that God is just. The "we gotta save these people or they are all going to hell" mentality assumes that if you don't convert someone, then they are doomed. This is both arrogant and false. Alma realizes that:
"the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true." (Alma 29:8)
This is very similar to a verse from the Koran that states:
“We believe in what was revealed to us and in what was revealed to you; our God and your God are one and the same” (29:46)
In a verse where God is speaking to Muslims, Jews, and Christians he says:
We have assigned a law and a path to each of you. If God had so willed, He would have made you one community, but He wanted to test you through that which He has given you, so race to do good: you will all return to God and He will make clear to you the matters you differed about” (5:48)
This doesn't mean that we shouldn't preach the gospel, we should and we must, but while doing so remembering that this is God's work and not ours. All he asks is that we live his gospel and let our light shine, not stand on the street corner screaming at people to be seen of men or to visualize ourselves as some great prophet and savior of men. Most if not all of us will lead simple lives, we will not convert thousands of people. We will however influence this one and that one and have an effect that will bless thousands over time. Abinadi perished not knowing if all his preaching had any effect (except for maybe Alma who he may have seen defend him at the end).

This life is to see what each of us will do with what we have. The justice of God allows for billions of his children to be born outside of the covenant and live their entire lives without knowing of his Son and still be saved in his kingdom. Compare Alma 29:1-8 with those verses in the Koran and the following quote from Joseph Smith:
“But while one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the Great Parent of the universe looks upon the whole of the human family with a fatherly care and paternal regard; He views them as His offspring, and without any of those contracted feelings that influence the children of men, causes “His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” He holds the reins of judgment in His hands; He is a wise Lawgiver, and will judge all men, not according to the narrow, contracted notions of men, but, “according to the deeds done in the body whether they be good or evil,” or whether these deeds were done in England, America, Spain, Turkey, or India. He will judge them, “not according to what they have not, but according to what they have,” those who have lived without law, will be judged without law, and those who have a law, will be judged by that law. We need not doubt the wisdom and intelligence of the Great Jehovah; He will award judgment or mercy to all nations according to their several deserts, their means of obtaining intelligence, the laws by which they are governed, the facilities afforded them of obtaining correct information, and His inscrutable designs in relation to the human family; and when the designs of God shall be made manifest, and the curtain of futurity be withdrawn, we shall all of us eventually have to confess that the Judge of all the earth has done right.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 218)
Inasmuch as any of these splinter groups are inspired by a desire to serve God and keep his commandments, even if they are flawed in their reasoning, logic, and practice, if their hearts are pure then perhaps they will be blessed. I am an active Latter-day Saint and I understand that what we have as LDS people is not Zion, we are not living the law of consecration, we are not living as one with no poor among us, we do not have all the promised scripture, and we teach and believe many things that are false:
Not only are there apostates within our midst, but there are also apostate doctrines that are sometimes taught in our classes and from our pulpits and that appear in our publications. And these apostate precepts of men cause our people to stumble. As the Book of Mormon, speaking of our day, states: “They have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men” (2 Nephi 28:14). (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, Pg.89 90)
We should preach the gospel and we should identify and call out wickedness, but more importantly, we should focus on "worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." (Article of Faith 11)

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

The LDSFF and Remnant cross again. No PTHG forum?

jwbohrer
Hi, I'm new.

Post by jwbohrer »

You could even distill it down further by saying, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law", with the sometimes unspoken qualification that personal actions shouldn't harm others. "Do what you will, so long as it harms none"

silk
captain of 50

Post by silk »

Thomas wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 3:56 pm
silk wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

I think you are bringing some traditions of men with you as far as definitions.

Lets start with church. Most LDS think of the "church" as the institution legally called the Corporation of the President of the Church of Latter Days of Jesus Christ, or as some people call it, the Mormon church.

I prefer Christ's definition:
D&C 10: 67 Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.

68 Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me; therefore he is not of my church.
Thank you for sharing that definition of church. It is a good one, and is most applicable here. I thought from the context it was plain that I was referring to the way Christ organized his church in the Americas -- with disciples set to teach, minister, baptize, serve, (3Nephi 12:1), judge, forbid taking of the sacrament, and ultimately excommunicate members if necessary (although continuing to do everything to reclaim them) (3Nephi 18:28-32).

I think we were using different definitions of Zion as well. I was using the scriptural one in Moses 7:18:
8 And the Lord called his people Zion , because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them.
Sorry about that. If I'd stated that initially, it probably would have been plainer that the people in the Americas applied. But in pondering on your expanded definition, I also wonder if the Nephites had more personal knowledge of the Lord than we might think. I have a hard time understanding how they could maintain such an economy for that long without individual knowledge of the Savior.

4Nephi has always been a frustrating book to me, because it doesn't really tell how they formed Zion, nor how they maintained it. But in 3Nephi 26:13, Mormon gives us a hint that I have wondered about.
13 Therefore, I would that ye should behold that the Lord truly did teach the people, for the space of three days; and after that he did show himself unto them oft, and did break bread oft, and bless it, and give it unto them.
I've wondered how often that was, and for how long his visits continued. Could he have been visiting them often for several years? I suppose I'll just have to keep wondering.

As I was thinking about why there was a church organization among the Americas, I received a strong prompting that, "It's important to learn how to be a good leader as well as a good follower." Maybe that's one reason why it continued -- to give the people certain experiences they needed to grow in mortality.

Anyway, I think my point was to show an example of how a people formed a Zion community. I wish we knew more about how the people in Enoch's time established Zion, and what their church structure was like, but we don't. However, even in Zion I think we'll always need missionaries and people to give the Holy Ghost, unless there is no rising generation. Even if it's just their parents.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 4th, 2017, 4:19 pm
SpeedRacer wrote: October 4th, 2017, 4:02 pm The LDSFF and Remnant cross again. No PTHG forum?
My bad. I apologize for feeding the birds. I suppose we ought not to encourage them.
True story. Whenever the TBMs on this forum get bored, they antagonize Snufferites.

Kinda pathetic really. Like two groups fighting tooth and nail over whether James T. Kirk captained the USS Enterprise better than Jean Luc Picard.

It seems nobody actually wants the homogeneous echo chamber they claim to desire.

Every group needs a boogey man to unite them.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

So it boils down to who pulls more tail?

This should get interesting.