Elder Ballard spoke against Julie Rowe and Denver Snuffer

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Elder Ballard spoke against Julie Rowe and Denver Snuffer

Post by Silver »

He did so in his general conference talk this afternoon. Go listen to it.

He also blasted racism, sexism and nationalism.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Re: Elder Ballard just mercifully killed Julie Rowe and Denver Snuffer

Post by Thomas »

And Joseph Smith as well it seems

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Thomas wrote: October 1st, 2017, 2:30 pm And Joseph Smith as well it seems
Kiss off. You apostates are quite predictable. Will you continue to weary us and the Lord with your ragged arguments with more holes than swiss cheese?

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

I'm no longer a member of AVOW, but I can already see in my mind's eye the firestorm his talk is causing on that site, and the inevitable apologists who will make excuses and justify why his talk doesn't apply to them, to energy healing, and everything else he literally just spoke against.

God bless Elder Ballard. God bless living Prophets, Apostles, Seers, Revelators, and continuing revelation to guide us through these last days. And God bless Truth.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Nationalism?

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Finally, that talk has been needed for a while. All in the Lord's due time I guess. :)

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I enjoyed that talk a lot.

Tbmbro
captain of 10

Post by Tbmbro »

It felt like Elder Ballard was out with a weedwacker clearing out a ton of various corrupt plants. He went after racism, sexism, multilevels, essential oils, the pay for faith healing people, false prophets, those claiming that you need secret knowledge for salvation. It was much needed.

"Keep the Doctrine of Christ pure and do not go to those who have not been set apart"

I hope that we can all be humble and not say "oh he wasn't talking about me", but rather see how we need to repent and return to the pure doctrine of Jesus Christ.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

And he condemned trifling with scripture.

That made me think about how Jacob 2:30 has been made to look like an escape-valve for polygamy, when, read in context, it only further seals God's condemnation of all whoredoms.

I strongly believe this is the crux issue that plagues the church, and it culminates in our feverish compulsion to say things like, "I know the church is true" and repeat mantras like, "prophets seers and revelators". But, what could I possibly know?

By the way, I'm no Julie Rowe supporter or Denver Snuffer follower. I do believe the Book of Mormon is everything the church claims it is, but they maybe take their association with it a little too far.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

If the church is or were to be under condemnation for not taking it seriously I think these talks are necessary. I would say though from personal experience that reading it is as important spiritually as food and water are temporally. I a, shocked how many don't read it daily.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Tbmbro wrote: October 1st, 2017, 2:52 pm It felt like Elder Ballard was out with a weedwacker clearing out a ton of various corrupt plants. He went after racism, sexism, multilevels, essential oils, the pay for faith healing people, false prophets, those claiming that you need secret knowledge for salvation. It was much needed.

"Keep the Doctrine of Christ pure and do not go to those who have not been set apart"

I hope that we can all be humble and not say "oh he wasn't talking about me", but rather see how we need to repent and return to the pure doctrine of Jesus Christ.
No secret knowledge for salvation? What about the temple?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Wow, the Sunday afternoon session is full of gems with regard to remaining true to truth. Listening now to a Seventy from New Zealand, Elder Ian S. Ardern. Powerful. "Nothing to be gained from listening to the...disenchanted."
Ardern-Ian-S-large.jpg
Ardern-Ian-S-large.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Meili wrote: October 1st, 2017, 3:14 pm
Tbmbro wrote: October 1st, 2017, 2:52 pm It felt like Elder Ballard was out with a weedwacker clearing out a ton of various corrupt plants. He went after racism, sexism, multilevels, essential oils, the pay for faith healing people, false prophets, those claiming that you need secret knowledge for salvation. It was much needed.

It's not secret. If God's will were perfectly applied, all would receive it eliminating any hint of secrecy. It is sacred and thus guarded and given only to those who have a certain level of maturity.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Meili wrote: October 1st, 2017, 3:14 pm

Haters gonna hate no matter what is said.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

I missed the part about MLMs and EOs. What did he say?

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Sacred not secret. Are you looking for motes? A reason to leave?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Deseret News: Elder M. Russell Ballard: 'The Trek Continues!'
Warning listeners of some of the dangers of today, Elder Ballard encouraged individuals to keep the doctrine of Christ pure and to not be deceived by those who tamper with the doctrine.

“Do not listen to those who have not been ordained or set apart to their Church calling and are acknowledged by common consent of the members of the Church,” he said. “Be aware of organizations, or groups, or individuals claiming secret answers to doctrinal questions that they say today’s apostles and prophets do not have or understand.”

He also encouraged individuals to not listen to those who entice with “get-rich schemes” or “miraculous healings or claims” that are done with special methods for accessing healing power outside of properly ordained priesthood holders.

“In some places, too many of our people are looking beyond the mark and seeking secret knowledge in expensive and questionable practices to provide healing and support. … Be wise and aware that such practices may be emotionally appealing but may ultimately prove to be spiritually and physically harmful,” he said.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

And he did kill Joseph Smith and killed Mormonism.

Looks like Elder Ballard has violated the first and fundamental principle of our religion. So who is the apostate?
One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may.” (Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 199)
“I cannot believe in any of the creeds of the different denominations, because they all have some things in them I cannot subscribe to, though all of them have some truth. I want to come up into the presence of God, and learn all things; but the creeds set up stakes [limits], and say, ‘Hitherto shalt thou come, and no further’ [Job 38:11]; which I cannot subscribe to.” (History of the Church, 6:57; punctuation modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Oct. 15, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Willard Richards.)
We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 316)
“Mormonism is truth; and every man who embraces it feels himself at liberty to embrace every truth: consequently the shackles of superstition, bigotry, ignorance, and priestcraft, fall at once from his neck; and his eyes are opened to see the truth, and truth greatly prevails over priestcraft… Mormonism is truth, in other words the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or without being circumscribed or prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men, or by the dominations of one another, when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, and we have the highest degree of evidence of the same.” (Letter from Joseph Smith to Isaac Galland, Mar. 22, 1839, Liberty Jail, Liberty, Missouri, published in Times and Seasons, Feb. 1840, pp. 53–54; spelling and grammar modernized.)
“I cannot believe in any of the creeds of the different denominations, because they all have some things in them I cannot subscribe to, though all of them have some truth. I want to come up into the presence of God, and learn all things; but the creeds set up stakes [limits], and say, ‘Hitherto shalt thou come, and no further’ [Job 38:11]; which I cannot subscribe to.” (History of the Church, 6:57; punctuation modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Oct. 15, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Willard Richards.)
Last edited by Thomas on October 1st, 2017, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Deseret News:
Eliminate racism, sexism, nationalism, LDS leader says Sunday afternoon
Holding up black Mormon pioneer Jane Manning James as an example of "a remarkable disciple," Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles invited listeners "to welcome and embrace anyone who is making his or her own trek today, no matter where they are in their journey."

Then he called for compassion and an end to all bigotry.

"We need to embrace God’s children compassionately and eliminate any prejudice, including racism, sexism, and nationalism," Elder Ballard said. "Let it be said that we truly believe — and truly live — the words of the Book of Mormon prophet Nephi: '(The Lord) inviteth ... all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female ... and all are alike unto God.'"

His condemnation of racism was the second by a senior church leaders in two days. On Saturday, Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Twelve called racism morally wrong.
Elder Ballard also warned Mormons against deception by those who tamper with church doctrine.

"Do not listen to those who have not been ordained and/or set apart to their church calling and are acknowledged by common consent of the members of the church," he said. "Be aware of organizations, groups, or individuals claiming secret answers to doctrinal questions that they say today’s apostles and prophets do not have or understand. Do not listen to those who entice you with get-rich schemes. Our members have lost far too much money, so be careful."

Some people have offered expensive healing and support. A year ago, church leaders issued a statement against those practices.

"We urge church members," Elder Ballard said, "to be cautious about participating in any group that promises — in exchange for money — miraculous healings or that claims to have special methods for accessing healing power outside of properly ordained priesthood holders."

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Silver wrote: October 1st, 2017, 3:16 pm Wow, the Sunday afternoon session is full of gems with regard to remaining true to truth. Listening now to a Seventy from New Zealand, Elder Ian S. Ardern. Powerful. "Nothing to be gained from listening to the...disenchanted."

Ardern-Ian-S-large.jpg
“Questions about our Church history and beliefs do arise,” he said. “Where we turn to find the correct answers requires great care. There is nothing to be gained in exploring the views and opinions of the less informed or disenchanted. The best counsel was given by the Apostle James: ‘If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God.’”

Elder Ian S. Ardern: 'Seek Ye Out of the Best Books' (Deseret News)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Thomas wrote: October 1st, 2017, 4:19 pm And he did kill Joseph Smith and killed Mormonism.

Looks like Elder Ballard has violated the first and fundamental principle of our religion. So who is the apostate?
One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may.” (Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 199)
We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons.”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 316)
“Mormonism is truth; and every man who embraces it feels himself at liberty to embrace every truth: consequently the shackles of superstition, bigotry, ignorance, and priestcraft, fall at once from his neck; and his eyes are opened to see the truth, and truth greatly prevails over priestcraft… Mormonism is truth, in other words the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or without being circumscribed or prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men, or by the dominations of one another, when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, and we have the highest degree of evidence of the same.” (Letter from Joseph Smith to Isaac Galland, Mar. 22, 1839, Liberty Jail, Liberty, Missouri, published in Times and Seasons, Feb. 1840, pp. 53–54; spelling and grammar modernized.)
How many converts to your particular flavor of dissatisfaction with the Lord's true church do you seek? Have you ever noticed that there are more Hindus, Catholics or Muslims than there are faithful Latter Day Saints? Perhaps you would have more success if you proselyted among a bigger flock. Why limit yourself to a few million members of the Church of Jesus Christ when there are billions out there who could hear your perverted ideas?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Crackers wrote: October 1st, 2017, 3:56 pm

I caught the reference to MLMs, but I think saying he spoke about essential oils, I believe someone heard something that wasn't said. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Original_Intent wrote: October 1st, 2017, 5:41 pm
Crackers wrote: October 1st, 2017, 3:56 pm

I caught the reference to MLMs, but I think saying he spoke about essential oils, I believe someone heard something that wasn't said. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.
I suspect the same might be said for MLMs, though, like you, I might have just missed it. I remember hearing about get rich quick schemes and losing money on such, but I think that that describes ponzi schemes and investment fraud more than MLMs. Not that I'm trying to defend MLMs; I just think maybe that wasn't what he was referring to.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Same with EOs. Not sure how they were referenced. 😕

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

mirkwood wrote: October 1st, 2017, 4:03 pm Sacred not secret. Are you looking for motes? A reason to leave?
I'm assuming this is directed at me?

I'm not looking for a reason to leave. I was just stuck by the idea that one of the apostles would say no secret knowledge was needed for salvation when it's a basic belief that temple attendance is required for salvation. I thought maybe the quote was being skewed a bit (like what seems to be the case about EO's.) I can't watch the talk because I'm on my phone and it would eat the data. I was hoping someone would elaborate.