panem et circenses

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Irrelevant
captain of 100

panem et circenses

Post by Irrelevant »

We are in a burning building and all I hear about is the NFL.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: panem et circenses

Post by iWriteStuff »

Irrelevant wrote: September 26th, 2017, 5:35 am We are in a burning building and all I hear about is the NFL.
What a coincidence! My little brother asked me this morning whether I thought the NFL kerfuffle was a distraction from the North Korea "You declared war on us" statement or the failure (again) to pass the ObamaCare repeal. My response was "panem et circenses".

He agreed.

This is all a "Quick! Look at my left hand while my right is busy screwing something up!" maneuver.

cappaccio
captain of 100

Post by cappaccio »

This is how I have felt for a while, but especially now with Trump. I believe he uses twitter to deflect the masses into yelling and screaming at each other.

The "2 minutes hate" is really a hourly/daily thing.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

iWriteStuff wrote: September 26th, 2017, 7:34 am
Irrelevant wrote: September 26th, 2017, 5:35 am We are in a burning building and all I hear about is the NFL.
What a coincidence! My little brother asked me this morning whether I thought the NFL kerfuffle was a distraction from the North Korea "You declared war on us" statement or the failure (again) to pass the ObamaCare repeal. My response was "panem et circenses".

He agreed.

This is all a "Quick! Look at my left hand while my right is busy screwing something up!" maneuver.
No such thing as coincidence! ;) I had a very similar email conversation with one of my sisters this morning, as well. My reply to her was, "All this nonsense about the sports people kneeling, etc. is nothing more than a distraction - the 'bread and circuses' of our day - something to keep our eyes off what's REALLY going on - the things that will indeed affect EVERY single one of us in VERY real and negative ways, such as the insurance debacle (do you know how much your premiums are going up in 2018?!?), and North Korea/WWIII."

Her reply back, "Amen and amen."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Beyond the meaning of the Latin words panem et circenses, the similarities of the fall of the Roman Empire to our own day are striking. Just two:
1. Money supply inflated through the debauchment of the currency
2. Long-term and continuous wars of conquest and empire-building in the name of the republic and all the deleterious effects

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

The Book of Mornom very plainly teaches the irrevocable law of cause and effect:
Keep the commandments and ye shall be prospered in the land.

The other side of the coin is also promised..... wickedness will cause society to be swept off the land.

"Prospered" is not just a financial item. It encompasses liberty, freedom, health, well being, hope, stability, and willingness to contribute to something greater than oneself.... a whole myriad of positive traits come into play.

Take stock of how far our society now occupying the promised land have strayed from righteousness.

As the pendulum of society swings deeper into the dark side of things, there is less ability for Prosperity to re-surface on account of righteousness.

(Look at the Great Depression.... What preceded it?.... The roaring '20's with it's liberal raucous lifestyle).

Seems to me in spite of anything anyone can do (President Trump, including his Cabinet members) there is nothing except pure repentance on the part of our society that will turn the course of events from the future catastrophy to any other benign circumstance.

I just finished reading about Abinadi preaching to the people immediately before he was caught and presented to King Noah.
True consequences for our society today.

There seems to be a multi step process in destroying a society as explained in the Book of Mormon. Famine would hurt everyone at once but not collapse society. Wars and occupation always took the next generation out in bloody conflicts; but didn't collapse the whole country. What causes the whole country to collapse and break into seperate "tribes", - territorial gangs who rule and reign with fear and terror? It is very plainly demonstrated in the Book of Mormon. Both before Christ's visit and 4 generations after.

It all comes down to a very clear individual choice that every man, woman and child will need to make in their life: "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve". Clear as a bell. Choose Jesus Christ the Savior, or not. Those are the two choices. It feels to me that a very large percentage of our current society has not made the choice to believe and follow Jesus Christ. Floating along in life not making the choice, is picking the wrong side of the equation.

Since the Gospel was restored on the earth, we have had the clarion calls of famine, pestulance, wars and economic events to call us to repentance.

Yet society has marched along with the parade headed away from the saving gift of repentance and righteouness.
We now have wicked judges, reprehensable laws, bad being called good, unseemily relationships, exceeding anger with dependence and selfisness.

I believe the scriptures and that when the tipping point is reached, the great and spacious will collapse and great will be the fall of it.
Babylon will fall. Of that be certain.

Everything in the media and politics and in our face is just a mask over the rotten underbelly of society and provides only the illusion of all is well.
All is not well, so Awake from the stupor, and actively do more to demonstrate your personal choice to follow the Savior.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

JK4Woods wrote: September 27th, 2017, 11:41 am The Book of Mornom very plainly teaches the irrevocable law of cause and effect:
Keep the commandments and ye shall be prospered in the land.

The other side of the coin is also promised..... wickedness will cause society to be swept off the land.

"Prospered" is not just a financial item. It encompasses liberty, freedom, health, well being, hope, stability, and willingness to contribute to something greater than oneself.... a whole myriad of positive traits come into play.

Take stock of how far our society now occupying the promised land have strayed from righteousness.

As the pendulum of society swings deeper into the dark side of things, there is less ability for Prosperity to re-surface on account of righteousness.

(Look at the Great Depression.... What preceded it?.... The roaring '20's with it's liberal raucous lifestyle).

Seems to me in spite of anything anyone can do (President Trump, including his Cabinet members) there is nothing except pure repentance on the part of our society that will turn the course of events from the future catastrophy to any other benign circumstance.

I just finished reading about Abinadi preaching to the people immediately before he was caught and presented to King Noah.
True consequences for our society today.

There seems to be a multi step process in destroying a society as explained in the Book of Mormon. Famine would hurt everyone at once but not collapse society. Wars and occupation always took the next generation out in bloody conflicts; but didn't collapse the whole country. What causes the whole country to collapse and break into seperate "tribes", - territorial gangs who rule and reign with fear and terror? It is very plainly demonstrated in the Book of Mormon. Both before Christ's visit and 4 generations after.

It all comes down to a very clear individual choice that every man, woman and child will need to make in their life: "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve". Clear as a bell. Choose Jesus Christ the Savior, or not. Those are the two choices. It feels to me that a very large percentage of our current society has not made the choice to believe and follow Jesus Christ. Floating along in life not making the choice, is picking the wrong side of the equation.

Since the Gospel was restored on the earth, we have had the clarion calls of famine, pestulance, wars and economic events to call us to repentance.

Yet society has marched along with the parade headed away from the saving gift of repentance and righteouness.
We now have wicked judges, reprehensable laws, bad being called good, unseemily relationships, exceeding anger with dependence and selfisness.

I believe the scriptures and that when the tipping point is reached, the great and spacious will collapse and great will be the fall of it.
Babylon will fall. Of that be certain.

Everything in the media and politics and in our face is just a mask over the rotten underbelly of society and provides only the illusion of all is well.
All is not well, so Awake from the stupor, and actively do more to demonstrate your personal choice to follow the Savior.
So well-said. Thank you. I've been studying the final writings of Moroni, which remind me of Ether. Part of me feels like I'm already a third party observer, helplessly watching the self destruction of a great people. Kind of disheartening. What can we do but ensure that we are as righteous as possible individually? I almost feel like I am not even on the same planet anymore.

James-T-Prout
captain of 50

Post by James-T-Prout »

This National Football League player protest issue is interesting.

These are just people who think there is something wrong with their perception of the country. This would be no different than flying the U.S. flag upside down. Which is done by patriots to signal something is wrong in the country.

In the land of the free, under the Founding Father's guidance, anyone can protest about anything.

But, what does this say about who is putting this material on the airwaves?

In July 2017, I believe, President Donald Trump got involved with the situation and has been promoting that the people should boycott Football games where the players are allowed to do this. The seats have been getting very empty at the stadiums ever since. It's at crisis levels for most ball clubs. Yet, college football seating is up.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10 ... h-spreads/

The NFL said in late October 2017 that they would continue to broadcast the opening National Anthem and the protesting players. So, the NFL and the broadcast stations want this to continue.

Overall, this NFL player National Anthem protest has MORPHED into a Democrat voter protest against President Trump. It feels that way to me.

Also, the broadcast stations, that are owned by the 3 Eagle Heads pulling the strings in the background; seem also to want to keep the protests going as a way to publicly shame Donald Trump.

See more of what the 3 Eagle Heads are doing in the book: The "Last Days" Timeline
https://www.lastdaystimeline.com/

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

Just do everything in your power to stay away from their circus's and off the dole.
Last edited by moving2zion on November 14th, 2017, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

We are just finishing Ether with our kids. This topic has generated some great thoughts in our home.