Your Body, or Not--Sex vs. Substance vs. ?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Your Body, or Not--Sex vs. Substance vs. ?

Post by JohnnyL »

Why is it ok for a person to do as they please with their body in some circumstances, but not in others?

Homosexuality, abortion, marijuana?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Re: Your Body, or Not--Sex vs. Substance vs. ?

Post by cyclOps »

Are you asking in a Gospel/spiritual sense or in a legal/law-of-the-land sense?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Feminists: "It's my choice if I say it is. I make the exceptions as I please."

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

JohnnyL wrote: September 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm Why is it ok for a person to do as they please with their body in some circumstances, but not in others?

Homosexuality, abortion, marijuana?
"The body supposed to be a temple? - but the temple needs to be worshipped every now and again". A line out of a low budget move I saw many years ago, where the woman was justifying her sexual indiscretions. :shock:

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

JohnnyL wrote: September 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm Why is it ok for a person to do as they please with their body in some circumstances, but not in others?
People may always choose to do what they please with their bodies, but there are also always consequences. If a person chooses to follow God's commandments, their bodies won't be subjected to addiction, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, or unwanted pregnancy. If you don't follow the commandments you may or may not experience some of these consequences, but you'll always experience guilt. Maybe not today. Maybe not next month. However, we all agreed to do our best to obey commandments before we came here. Eventually things will catch up with us.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Remember that the way you look at life gets down to whether you believe you have a body or you are your body.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

skmo wrote: September 17th, 2017, 5:50 am
People may always choose to do what they please with their bodies, but there are also always consequences. If a person chooses to follow God's commandments, their bodies won't be subjected to addiction, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, or unwanted pregnancy. If you don't follow the commandments you may or may not experience some of these consequences, but you'll always experience guilt. Maybe not today. Maybe not next month. However, we all agreed to do our best to obey commandments before we came here. Eventually things will catch up with us.

Well Said :!:

The same concept applies to all sin, including Sins of Omission to care for the Earth. :(

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

cyclOps wrote: September 16th, 2017, 10:59 pm Are you asking in a Gospel/spiritual sense or in a legal/law-of-the-land sense?
Sorry about that, in a legal sense.

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

As regards abortion, this whole "its my body" thing never made sense to me. Obviously twisting things to satisfy self-interest.

First, if the fetus is part of your body, why is the DNA different than yours? If it is just part of the woman's body, but not the dad, then he shouldn't be responsible for child support, right?

But if he does share responsibility for the baby, why does the dad not have a say in whether it is aborted?

And why are doctors held liable if they harm the fetus before birth? Wouldn't it be like removing a tumor from the woman's body?

If the mother wants the baby, and it is harmed, it is considered a separate life and therefore malpractice. If the mother doesn't want the baby, it is considered part of her and an abortion is performed.

And if it's part of your body because it is dependent on you while pregnant, wouldn't that apply after birth also when nursing? So can you dispose of the baby after birth if it is inconvenient?