Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: What are your favorite video games of all time?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Mine was one where you were Alice in Wonderland for the Commodore 64.

Had to figure your way outa there, with the Cheshire Cat, magic tea and marzipan. :D

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Atari - Pole Position
Nintendo - Techmo Bowl, others I enjoyed - rad racer, metroid, paper boy,
Super Nintendo - Mario Cart also enjoyed NBA Jam

Took a jump and didn't play games for a long time. Played for a few years with the xbox360 and xbox one - enjoyed playing with my friends first person shooter games mostly just black ops series.

Have not played for a couple years but my boys love minecraft and never get sick of it.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Mike Tyson Punch-Out

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

As Young Neil says on Scott Pilgrim, "That's kind of a big question..."

Video games have loomed large in my life narrative. For some reason, I have a better recollection of what games I played, and where, and with whom, throughout my childhood and teenage years than things like books or toys or music or television.

I think my favorite era of video gaming was when the original Nintendo console was released in the US in the mid 1980s. I have fond memories of all my friends at school excitedly discussing all the hidden secrets in the headline titles—Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Punch-Out. (I remember it took a while before I finally got a chance to play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and once I did I already knew how to defeat every character just having heard all about them from friends.) That NES was such a big step up from the previous generation of video games (like the Atari 2600) that everyone was just blown away by the quality and depth of the games.

Our family never owned an NES, but that didn't matter, we got our fill at friends' houses (same with MTV). One particular friend of mine (an only child, natch) had a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine, which regularly featured articles detailing every inch of popular games. That stuff was such a blast in the pre-Internet world.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Okay I'll bite as a female. As a mother of all boys, we've seemed to have had all the different consoles throughout the years. Mind you as parents we only bought the original Nintendo system and then the NES. After that we made the boys save their own money and buy consequent systems. I LOVED playing with my older boys Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. I was awesome. Once they got 3-D ish I just couldn't catch on so I quit playing. (Plus more boys, and busier life put a halt to things)

Now I wish we could toss all thing video game related.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 15th, 2017, 12:40 pm Mine was one where you were Alice in Wonderland for the Commodore 64.
I had a friend with a Commodore 64. I don't remember any of the games (beyond a general recollection that they were mostly crap) but if you could get your hands on an issue of Compute! Magazine, there were always pages of code that you could enter on your C64 and theoretically run a game. We spent hours painstakingly typing in code, but I don't know if we ever got a game to run successfully.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

The original X-Com. The remakes are horrendous in comparison to the original.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Super metroid Nintendo 64. Hands down.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

captainfearnot wrote: September 15th, 2017, 1:27 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 15th, 2017, 12:40 pm Mine was one where you were Alice in Wonderland for the Commodore 64.
I had a friend with a Commodore 64. I don't remember any of the games (beyond a general recollection that they were mostly crap) but if you could get your hands on an issue of Compute! Magazine, there were always pages of code that you could enter on your C64 and theoretically run a game. We spent hours painstakingly typing in code, but I don't know if we ever got a game to run successfully.
There was store in SLC where you could get good stuff cheap. I started with a Vic 20, then CoCo and the 64. Made battle ship game, and one where you tried to shoot a bird as he flew over your head and tried to drop stuff on your head. The wings were parentheses (). Made battleship with diagonal ships and cribbage, but it was too slow for that. Lately wrote app at [email protected] where @ = o.

Swift is latest awesome language, and it's free for macs. :mrgreen:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Tetris and Myst.

I also loved a Winnie the Pooh game when I was a kid. My friend and I would play for hours together.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of Time.
Banjo Kazooie
MarioKart Double-Dash
Pikmin

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Mousetrap
Frenzy
Ladybug
Burgertime

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

World of Warcraft
Minecraft
Any pbbg (playing Shintolin and Urban Dead currently).

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Meili wrote: September 15th, 2017, 2:04 pm Tetris and Myst.

I also loved a Winnie the Pooh game when I was a kid. My friend and I would play for hours together.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tao_of_Pooh wrote:
The book starts with a description of the vinegar tasters, which is a painting portraying the three great eastern thinkers, Confucius, the Buddha, and Laozi over a vat of vinegar. Each tasting the vinegar of "life," Confucius finds it sour, the Buddha finds it bitter, but Laozi, the traditional founder of Taoism, finds it satisfying. Then the story unfolds backing up this analogy.
This is a great book. Image

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

This is the best. thread. ever.

I loved all the Zeldas, but A Link to the Past was my favorite, followed by Twilight Princess. I LOVED the SNES and Wii platforms. I'm kinda hacked bc I got on a list to pre-order the SNES mini and the darn scalpers got to the pre-orders before I even had a chance! But I heard that Nintendo is going to do another run of the classic mini. Here's hoping!

Stourme
captain of 100

Post by Stourme »

Doom
Doom 2
Half life 2 (greatest game of all time)
Duke Nukem
MechWarrior 1 - 4
Everquest
Battlefield 2 (pretty amazing)

Today when I'm not out in my garden I play:
Skyrim
Fallout 4
WarThunder

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Ultima
Wasteland
Doom
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Medal of Honor
Delta Force
Delta Force 2
Delta Force Blackhawk Down
Battlefield 4
Fallout
Fallout2
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Maximo
Gauntlet

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Red wrote: September 15th, 2017, 2:53 pm This is the best. thread. ever.

I loved all the Zeldas, but A Link to the Past was my favorite, followed by Twilight Princess. I LOVED the SNES and Wii platforms. I'm kinda hacked bc I got on a list to pre-order the SNES mini and the darn scalpers got to the pre-orders before I even had a chance! But I heard that Nintendo is going to do another run of the classic mini. Here's hoping!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are so many geeks here. Navigating forums is not for the lay user. :)

Original Zelda by the way. The sound effects make great ring tones.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Perfect Dark
Counterstrike: Source
Mercenaries of Astonia

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Although I was only a couple years old when these came out, I have a love for the classics...

Pac-Man
Centipede
Galaga

Shimdidly
captain of 100

Post by Shimdidly »

-The original DOOM
-Zelda: OOT
-Runescape
-Starcraft 1 and 2.
-Halo 3
-Parallel Kingdom

All of the above get strong nostalgia points.

-Kerbal Space Program is an amazing new-ish game
-I used to waste many hours playing Minecraft. It finally got old though.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Gage wrote: September 15th, 2017, 12:56 pm Mike Tyson Punch-Out
007 373 5963

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

Portal and portal 2

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

alaris wrote: September 15th, 2017, 1:41 pm The original X-Com. The remakes are horrendous in comparison to the original.
That game was immersive. Excellent choice. I enjoyed most of the Ultima series starting with II and going up to about VI. The later Wizardy games, esp 8 was very good. Might and Magic III was really good for it's time. The original Elite game was a fun little sandbox in space. Online I have enjoyed way too much Everquest and later Everquest II. Somehow I never got into WoW. Nowdays I play some HearthStone. EVE Online is another quite good space game, but it was too expensive in the past, and I'm not interested in jumping back in now that they offer play for free. But they had some innovative ideas.

Those are all PC games. I enjoyed a few PS2 titles. Our entire family got into the snowboarding game, SSX, even my wife. My boys and I put many hours into Guitar Hero and sequels. and the original Klonoa was a good time that we all got thru except my wife, lol

pollibird
captain of 100

Post by pollibird »

For me the Starfox, Ace Combat and X Plane.