Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: What are your favorite video games of all time?

Post by gardener4life »

You know we had this gospel principles teacher in our ward last year who always went off on how bad video games were. She'd especially shoot off her mouth about the young men playing video games. I kind of wonder if other church members feel the same or if that is the sentiment of others too? Do others feel this way? They eventually released her but...still. People heard that several times before it happened.

I have a few health problems and quit playing video games a few years ago but I found that I would still be cooped up as much inside as I was before even if I wasn't playing because of the same issues keeping me home more than other people.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Time is precious. Wasting time is not only foolish, unproductive,and stupid, but also a betrayal of the allotment of time given for our mortality.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Warcraft 2 & 3

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Mmmmmmmmm...I go wayyyyy back. I literally remember the original PONG. I won't put these in any particular order:

Activision Pitfall
ZORK (pdp-11 version I played in the early 80s)
Asteroids
Pac-Man
Space Invaders
Gorf
Mrs. Pac-Man
Commodore 64 Archon
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Frogger
Ultima
QUAKE 1 & 2
Ghosts and Goblins
Castlevania

ASHERON'S CALL (my gosh this was a great game)
World of Warcraft (still play here and there)
DOTA 2 (frustrates my pants off)

That should do it, until I hit "submit" and then I'll remember more...
Last edited by LDS Physician on September 16th, 2017, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Commodore 64 Alice in Wonderland Game

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I had a voice synthesizer, connected to a CB radio, all mounted in a wheeled contraption, affectionately known as R2D2.

ImageImage

The cheap cabinet was like the one on the left, but with flat shelves, like the one on the right. That was when I lived on first ave.; it was great fun having R2D2 talk to the truckers, and some strange individual that said he talking on the skip from Louisiana.

When PCs came out, you could get great games and stuff really cheap. Another good one was like pacman, but fast paced where you shot arrow at the enemies, but it had a bug that would surface just as it was getting to be a challenge.
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on September 16th, 2017, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Re: Commodore 64 Alice in Wonderland Game

Post by LDS Physician »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 16th, 2017, 5:45 pm
LOVE IT!

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Elizabeth wrote: September 16th, 2017, 5:17 pm Time is precious. Wasting time is not only foolish, unproductive,and stupid, but also a betrayal of the allotment of time given for our mortality.
Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

LDS Physician wrote: September 16th, 2017, 5:31 pm Mmmmmmmmm...I go wayyyyy back. I literally remember the original PONG. I won't put these in any particular order:

Activision Pitfall
Asteroids
Pac-Man
Space Invaders
Gorf
Mrs. Pac-Man
Commodore 64 Archon
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Frogger
Ultima
QUAKE 1 & 2
Ghosts and Goblins
Castlevania

Frogger. *head nod* ;)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Red wrote: September 16th, 2017, 7:41 pm
LDS Physician wrote: September 16th, 2017, 5:31 pm Mmmmmmmmm...I go wayyyyy back. I literally remember the original PONG. I won't put these in any particular order:

Activision Pitfall
Asteroids
Pac-Man
Space Invaders
Gorf
Mrs. Pac-Man
Commodore 64 Archon
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Frogger
Ultima
QUAKE 1 & 2
Ghosts and Goblins
Castlevania

Frogger. *head nod* ;)
Yep. Probably my first favorite game.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

IMG_1020.PNG
IMG_1020.PNG (5.27 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

LucianAMD wrote: September 15th, 2017, 10:10 pm Portal and portal 2
Excellent taste! Nothing like endless problem solving and some solid humor. 8-)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Ya gozta sort a lot of dirt to find a few gems

Post by BeNotDeceived »

SmallFarm wrote: September 16th, 2017, 7:35 pm
Elizabeth wrote: September 16th, 2017, 5:17 pm Time is precious. Wasting time is not only foolish, unproductive,and stupid, but also a betrayal of the allotment of time given for our mortality.
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm Oh, No, not another experiment. :mrgreen:

There's a capture of two screens together, that correlates with those below.

ImageImage

Coincidentally, I may have unconsciously, built upon the answer to a silly riddle, without seeing the connection, until now. :mrgreen:

Think today I'm experiencing to much winning, just as President Trump said would happen. But ya gozta sort a lot of dirt to find a few gems.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

SmallFarm wrote: September 16th, 2017, 7:35 pm
Well said - the work and productivity is all ultimately for our joy, and it's easy to forget to enjoy life a bit. I like to think we tend to take ourselves too seriously, and the Lord not seriously enough. In fairness though, I'm certain the joy I came to earth for goes just a bit beyond what I typically feel while playing games. ;)

More directly to the original point being addressed: wasting time is all of those things, but what would you say counts as "wasting time", Elizabeth? Certainly excessive entertainment isn't good. It's true that it's an all-to-frequent problem in our day. But a carefully measured amount of wholesome recreation time is helpful and in line with our purpose in mortality, is it not? Maybe it's just my imperfection, but I find that I'm more productive overall if I take time to relax on occasion. I have neither read nor received any revelation that said the Lord expects me never to take a break, or that all my break activities must also be directly productive in and of themselves. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Or were you trying to say that there's something about video games in particular that make them inherently more wasteful or less wholesome than other forms of recreation? So far I haven't discovered any evidence, argument, or revelation to support that notion. I've felt that it's more or less on the same level as reading a novel, watching the big game, or playing a board game or solitaire. But if I'm missing something, I'm open to hear about it and be convinced of new truth.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Dancing, walking, swimming, productive reading and writing, apppreciating and enjoying nature, sustaining and improving ones habitat / living environment, growing food, raising chooks / collecting eggs, caring for family, pets, animals etc etc etc. So many things to occupy ones time ... without time wasting nonproductive detrimental mindless games.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Anyway,... there was a Mickey Mouse haunted mansion game that I used to play when I was very small. Does anyone remember that one? I think it was for NES or SNES. Not all that sophisticated or challenging, but I have feelings of nostalgia when I think about it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Red wrote: September 17th, 2017, 7:30 am Anyway,... there was a Mickey Mouse haunted mansion game that I used to play when I was very small. Does anyone remember that one? I think it was for NES or SNES. Not all that sophisticated or challenging, but I have feelings of nostalgia when I think about it.

Is that it :?:

I hope so; does any one remember playing "Scripture Chase" :?:

It was a game I played with my sister a few times, she was 5 years older than me then, technically she still is, but 5 years is a huge difference when our average age was 12; do the math :geek:

Games is what my family did; it was time well spent :mrgreen:

Seems the seminary students competed in that stuff; I only took new-testament, and remember there was like 40 flash cards.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Anybody play "The Oregon Trail"? When I was young teen we inherited an old computer (green screen!) in addition to that game. Although it was ancient at that point, I had fun playing, even when seeing "you have died of dysentery" on the monitor, haha :lol:
rs_560x415-150107143918-1024.Oregon-Trail-Game-MS-Dos.jl.010715.jpg
rs_560x415-150107143918-1024.Oregon-Trail-Game-MS-Dos.jl.010715.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 17th, 2017, 8:50 am
Red wrote: September 17th, 2017, 7:30 am Anyway,... there was a Mickey Mouse haunted mansion game that I used to play when I was very small. Does anyone remember that one? I think it was for NES or SNES. Not all that sophisticated or challenging, but I have feelings of nostalgia when I think about it.

Is that it :?:

I hope so; does any one remember playing "Scripture Chase" :?:

It was a game I played with my sister a few times, she was 5 years older than me then, technically she still is, but 5 years is a huge difference when our average age was 12; do the math :geek:

Games is what my family did; it was time well spent :mrgreen:

Seems the seminary students competed in that stuff; I only took new-testament, and remember there was like 40 flash cards.
No that's not it. I'll google it to see if I can figure it out. But thanks for looking!

I remember scripture chase. No one does that anymore?

I used to also play the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites board games. I loved the books as a kid. We've got a version of Settlers of Catan called Settlers of Zarahemla. Thats newer, of course, but a fun board game that inspires the kids to find interest in the BoM.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

WhereCanITurn4Peace wrote: September 17th, 2017, 11:57 am Anybody play "The Oregon Trail"? When I was young teen we inherited an old computer (green screen!) in addition to that game. Although it was ancient at that point, I had fun playing, even when seeing "you have died of dysentery" on the monitor, haha :lol:

rs_560x415-150107143918-1024.Oregon-Trail-Game-MS-Dos.jl.010715.jpg
I LOVED that one! Lol

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

Elizabeth wrote: September 17th, 2017, 1:27 am Dancing, walking, swimming, productive reading and writing, apppreciating and enjoying nature, sustaining and improving ones habitat / living environment, growing food, raising chooks / collecting eggs, caring for family, pets, animals etc etc etc. So many things to occupy ones time ... without time wasting nonproductive detrimental mindless games.
An excellent point. I would still submit that not all games are nonproductive, detrimental, or mindless. Many are, but some are quite thought provoking, enlightening, and even uplifting. Even so, the principle you're pointing out certainly rings true and is critical to understand. There is much good to be done, and idling away our time without purpose has consequences. As I consider your comment, Elder Oaks' words come to mind as good guiding principles to be pondered and prayed about as we choose our goals and activities of any kind. Most directly relevant, this:
Consider how we use our time in the choices we make in viewing television, playing video games, surfing the Internet, or reading books or magazines. Of course it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it. Some things are better, and others are best.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

WhereCanITurn4Peace wrote: September 17th, 2017, 11:57 am Anybody play "The Oregon Trail"? When I was young teen we inherited an old computer (green screen!) in addition to that game. Although it was ancient at that point, I had fun playing, even when seeing "you have died of dysentery" on the monitor, haha :lol:
Oh, those were good times! So many deaths...thanks for reminding me. :roll:

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

Now here's a thread I can get behind.

Right now I currently enjoy World of Tanks and Fifa 17. I've always enjoyed the NHL and Fifa EA lines.

My first console was the Intellivision, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... le-Set.jpg this was always better than the Atari IMO. I loved B-17 Bomber, Pitfall, and Night Stalker on it, just to name a few. Although I really enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari.

My favorite Nintendo game was always Metroid and Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

I even had a Coleco Vision and couldn't get enough of Frontline on that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQW_whY6eQ

My all time favorite arcade games were track and field and dragon's lair. I celebrated big time when I conquered Dragon's Lair.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Pretty much all the classic NES and SNES games already mentioned.

Some throwback PC games I still like to play once in a while, X-Com, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, and Monkey Island.

I liked WOW for a few years, but don't have time for it anymore. I still play Diablo 3 every once in a while though. Overwatch is still good too, but I am mining crypto on my PCs now so mainly have to play console now.

A few random games I've liked over the past couple years are Banner Saga, Civilization 5, Dragon Age, Banished, State of Decay, and This War of Mine.

Probably my favorite game out of everything would be the Walking Dead series by Telltale, the story mainly focuses on a girl named Clementine, and it is an amazing story to see develop over the several years they keep producing.

Although my favorite non video game would be Magic the Gathering.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

When I was in the 5th grade we had an Apple II in the back of the classroom with that green monochrome monitor, loaded with Oregon Trail. We'd get turns to play on it in pairs. At some point one of us figured out the keyboard shortcut to interrupt the program and it would dump you into the source code. So naturally, being immature boys, we changed all the game dialogue to say stupid things, mostly about the girls in the class. Nothing too mean, just enough to get a rise out of them when it was their turn to play. Good times.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

lemuel wrote: September 15th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Gage wrote: September 15th, 2017, 12:56 pm Mike Tyson Punch-Out
007 373 5963
JUSTIN BAILEY