Carbon Dating Questions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Carbon Dating Questions

Post by BeNotDeceived »

davedan wrote: September 12th, 2017, 6:45 pm C14 is created all the time by neutrinos from the sun. The rate of neutrinos from the sun varies.

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress ... image7.png
That's only one of many assumptions made that are only approximations.
Wikipedia wrote: ...Radiocarbon dating is generally limited to dating samples no more than 50,000 years old, as samples older than that have insufficient 14C to be measurable. Older dates have been obtained by using special sample preparation techniques, large samples, and very long measurement times. These techniques can allow measurement of dates up to 60,000 and in some cases up to 75,000 years before the present.

Radiocarbon dates are generally presented with a range of one standard deviation (usually represented by the Greek letter sigma as 1σ) on either side of the mean. However, a date range of 1σ represents only 68% confidence level, so the true age of the object being measured may lie outside the range of dates quoted.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

stillwater wrote: September 13th, 2017, 8:20 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 12th, 2017, 10:56 pm older stars make heavier elements, as they become red giants or white dwarfs.
I think you mean more massive, which actually means the stars die and explode before they can get very old at all.
It depends on how big the star is; our sun is the size that becomes a red-giant.
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast122/lectures/lec18.html wrote:
End of a Star's Life:

... For stars less than about 25 solar masses the end of their lives is to evolve to white dwarfs after substantial mass loss. Due to atomic structure limits, all white dwarfs must mass less than the Chandrasekhar limit. If their initial mass is more than the Chandrasekhar limit, then they must lose their envelopes during their planetary nebula phase till they are below this mass limit. An example of this is the Cat's Eye Nebula shown below:

At what stage a star leaves the AGB (Asymptotic Giant Branch) and becomes a white dwarf depends on how fast it runs out of fuel in its core. Higher mass stars will switch from helium to carbon burning and extend their lifetimes. Even higher mass stars will burn neon after carbon is used up. However, once iron is reached, fusion is halted since iron is so tightly bound that no energy can be extracted by fusion. Iron can fuse, but it absorbs energy in the process and the core temperature drops.

After evolving to white dwarfs, stars with original masses less than 25 solar masses slowly cool to become black dwarfs and suffer heat death. Stars greater than 25 solar masses undergo a more violent end to their lives. Carbon core burning lasts for 600 years for a star of this size. Neon burning for 1 year, oxygen burning about 6 months (i.e. very fast on astronomical timescales). At 3 billion degrees, the core can fuse silicon nuclei into iron and the entire core supply is used up in one day. ...

An inert iron core builds up at this time where successive layers above the core consume the remaining fuel of lighter nuclei in the core. The core is about the size of the Earth, compressed to extreme densities and near the Chandrasekhar limit. The outer regions of the star have expanded to fill a volume as large as Jupiter's orbit from the Sun. Since iron does not act as a fuel, the burning stops.

The sudden stoppage of energy generation causes the core to collapse and the outer layers of the star to fall onto the core. The infalling layers collapse so fast that they `bounce' off the iron core at close to the speed of light. The rebound causes the star to explode as a supernova.

The energy released during this explosion is so immense that the star will out shine an entire galaxy for a few days. ...

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

brlenox wrote: September 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm I have long felt that plasma theory made more sense to me.
I read quite a lot about plasma theory and the electric universe.
It makes more sense to me than Eisensteinian/Newtonian physics.

It also agrees with what Abraham said about Greater Star governing/feeding lesser stars.

It never made much sense to me that if all the heat was generated in the core of the sun
that the corona would be so, so much hotter.

The plasma model that says a Birkland current feeds the sun and the heat is released
in the corona where the plasma becomes atoms just feels right to me.

Plasma physics has also explained some phenomena that Newtonian Physics
has not been able.