Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

Post by BeNotDeceived »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 11:50 am Does anyone have additional comments / feedback / suggestions after using the new design for a few months?
Sometimes scrolling quotes get stuck on my iPad. (May be browser dependent) Refresh to reset.

The side menu pops in and out with reply text box using Safari on iPad. Doesn’t do it with Brave browser and text selection automatically scrolls. Brave blocks ads, but provisions a way to pay sites, each user may choose. Has anyone tried doing that?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm @ David13, marc, kittycat51, elizabeth, and others who still use/like the old design, are you primarily viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device?
Laptop only.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Joel wrote: February 10th, 2018, 3:44 pm is there a way to enable a dark mode?
I'll keep that in mind as a possibility for the future (if there is enough interest).
I want a dark theme.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 1:46 pm Those who like the old design better, is there anything more specific you can say about why? and what would be so horrible about being forced to use the new design? If I can understand your perspective better there is a potential I can improve what you don't like about the new design. If it's a user-friendliness / user-experience issue, I would want to correct that. But also it could just be preference and just that you never got use to the new design.
I do consider myself computer literate, but I'm a creature of habit...old habits die hard. I use a laptop.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I am giving this theme another shot since the other one might go away. I've been using it mostly on my phone. I'm still annoyed by the fact that I can't skip directly to the first unread post on a thread. Also, it is buggy. It does weird things a lot and tends to jump around more than the old one. I will probably go back to the old one again when I get fed up with it again. Honestly, I think the old one was better, even for mobile.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I should also mention that on desktop, I actually really like this design. It's just a pain to use on mobile.

And by the way, where did all the cool emojis go?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I haven't noticed anything buggy on mobile.. I'll have to use it a bit more on mobile to see what happens.

I changed the emojis to a more modern design not long ago.. and yeah, there are a lot less of them know.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

On mobile, the bar on the top with the site icon won't stay put. It will move down the screen while I'm scrolling. Sometimes it pops back up when I stop, sometimes it doesn't.

The window that you type text in doesn't center itself when I tap it. I have to pull it down to fit into my screen, while the top bar is sliding around to boot.

The screen jumps all over the place. On the old design there was one jump right after you navigated somewhere. That could be annoying because it would jump just as you were about to hit another link and you'd end up somewhere totally different than you intended. But now the screen will randomly jump frequently. I'll be in the middle of reading something and it will disappear. Most of the jumps are minor but sometimes they are big.

Those are the main things that I've had issues with. There have been a couple of other oddities but they have been isolated. But those things I can pretty much count on everyone I use the mobile site.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Thanks for the feedback. I've made some additional changes on mobile. Some things might require you to reload the page a few times or delete your browser cache to reload everything.
- The top bar scrolling issue should be resolved.
- "The screen jumps all over the place" seems to be resolved.
I'll be reviewing the comments on this thread again to see if anything important was missed.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

At first blush, they do seem to be working just fine.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Are we not going to have the feature for jumping to the first unread post returned? That's the other thing that is frustrating.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Are we not going to have the feature for jumping to the first unread post returned? That's the other thing that is frustrating.
Agreed. That is the most disappointing change, by far, IMO. :?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I can bring that back..

Have been trying to minimalize and simplify the mobile experience as much as possible.. but would want to include features that get used a lot.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

That one is vital for me.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Ok, it's there now.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BrianM wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 3:17 pm Ok, it's there now.
Are you referring to the "Unread posts" link? The link is there, but it still doesn't take me to the first unread post, but to the first post in the thread. I've done everything I can think of to clear it up and nothing has worked. There are only a very few threads I even bother to pull up now, because of this. I use a laptop, if that matters. Thanks.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

That could happen if you have cookies disabled or for some reason your browser isn't saving the LDSFF cookies.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BrianM wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 3:43 pm That could happen if you have cookies disabled or for some reason your browser isn't saving the LDSFF cookies.
Well, I've made no changes on my laptop at all in recent months. As to LDSFF, my cookies (most specifically Oreos - see other thread) have not been disabled - so I'm baffled as to how to remedy this. :?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I made a change to the site somewhat recently (to reduce the load on the server) that makes it so that particular data is stored via cookies in your browser instead of the database.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I'm being taken to the first post of every thread, too. Even when I clicked on the same thread twice. I haven't disabled cookies.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Meili wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 5:29 pm I'm being taken to the first post of every thread, too. Even when I clicked on the same thread twice. I haven't disabled cookies.
Same ^

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Today I was taken to a post on page 4 of this thread when I clicked the link. Maybe it will start working as history is built up?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Okay, So I'm trying to get used to the new mobile style, and there was a button I used when I'm looking at posts in a thread, to go back out of the thread; it was the 'jump to' button at the bottom of the thread, but now I can't find it. It seems to have disappeared. Now, I have to use the main logo button at the top which takes me out of the subforum, to the main menu and then I have to go back in to the subforum to see the titles of the threads--it's a pain. There has to be an easier way, but I can't see any button that will take me out to the subforum from inside a thread I'm reading. Does this make sense?

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm @ David13, marc, kittycat51, elizabeth, and others who still use/like the old design, are you primarily viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device?
Desktop/laptop.

Would it be helpful to make this question a poll?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

The jump to first unread post button appears to be working just fine now.

Thanks, Brian!