Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Try the LDSFF 2018 Beta.. (new design, more mobile-friendly)

Post by Elizabeth »

Me too :)
marc wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 11:37 am I'm sticking to the 2015 design. I hope it remains an option.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Maybe it's just my screen, but there is no login or out on my page. I like the old version better

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

logout.JPG
logout.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Does anyone have additional comments / feedback / suggestions after using the new design for a few months?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Sorry, Brian. I haven't stopped using the 2015 design. I hope it remains an option.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

marc wrote: February 10th, 2018, 11:54 am Sorry, Brian. I haven't stopped using the 2015 design. I hope it remains an option.
I hope you'll give the new one a try. I found that it just took a bit to get used to and then I liked the new design a lot more (especially on mobile).

The main problem with the old 2015 design is a technical issue. This forum is built on a platform called phpBB and they occasionally release software updates. That older design is not fully compatible with the latest version of phpBB and eventually I might have to remove the old design as an option.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I tried the new one and did not like it at all.
Right now I'm having problems.
I got logged out and switched to the new one.
I then went out and reconnected, logged in and was back to the old version, which I like. Love. Have great affinity for.

The problem is that it keeps showing that there are new posts when there aren't. So I click on the go to latest post button and it goes to the start of the thread or the middle of a thread.

Agency means that we always have a choice. If we have no choice then we have no agency. Our agency has been taken from us.

I'm scheduled to start work on Monday. Thereafter, I would even be happy to pay a fee to be able to keep my agency, my choice.
Amen
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Brian if/when you do switch permanently I will adjust and get use to it; life will go on. But for now I still like the old version.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

kittycat51 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 12:53 pm Brian if/when you do switch permanently I will adjust and get use to it; life will go on. But for now I still like the old version.
Ditto.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

David13 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 12:19 pm The problem is that it keeps showing that there are new posts when there aren't. So I click on the go to latest post button and it goes to the start of the thread or the middle of a thread.
I think something happened today. When I logged in today (I use the new design), it showed all posts as unread.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

inho wrote: February 10th, 2018, 1:26 pmI think something happened today. When I logged in today (I use the new design), it showed all posts as unread.
Probably related to the server updates I was doing last night.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

kittycat51 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 12:53 pm Brian if/when you do switch permanently I will adjust and get use to it; life will go on. But for now I still like the old version.
Life would never be the same.
dc

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Those who like the old design better, is there anything more specific you can say about why? and what would be so horrible about being forced to use the new design? If I can understand your perspective better there is a potential I can improve what you don't like about the new design. If it's a user-friendliness / user-experience issue, I would want to correct that. But also it could just be preference and just that you never got use to the new design.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The "go to first unread post" button doesn't work.
The new design doesn't seem to have one. The new design is way too big. The old had almost the whole forum on one page. I'm on a number of other forums, one with over 150,00 members, some or many paying members.
They have used the same format for years.
I never understand the need to redo just for the sake of redoing.
If a thing works good, just keep it.
It currently (the old format) is just set out nicely. The new is like concentrating on each item individually. The old format let me decide if I saw anything interesting on it in minutes.
With the new I have to scroll all over to see that.

What is the interest in the new format? I just see no need for it. I don't see how it can benefit anyone.
dc

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

David13 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 1:54 pm The "go to first unread post" button doesn't work.
The new design doesn't seem to have one.
The computer version of the new design has the blue dot after the last post "by [user name]". That takes you to the first unread post. (The grey dot with a triangle after the blue dot takes you to the last post).

But if you are using a mobile device, then I do not know if there is any "go to first unread post" button. If there is, I would very much like to know. That is indeed one thing that was better in the old design. Otherwise, I have already gotten used to the new design.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

is there a way to enable a dark mode?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

@ David13, marc, kittycat51, elizabeth, and others who still use/like the old design, are you primarily viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Joel wrote: February 10th, 2018, 3:44 pm is there a way to enable a dark mode?
I'll keep that in mind as a possibility for the future (if there is enough interest).

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Lap top computer.
BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm @ David13, marc, kittycat51, elizabeth, and others who still use/like the old design, are you primarily viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Desktop.
dc

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 11:50 am Does anyone have additional comments / feedback / suggestions after using the new design for a few months?
Sometimes scrolling quotes get stuck on my iPad. (May be browser dependent) Refresh to reset.

The side menu pops in and out with reply text box using Safari on iPad. Doesn’t do it with Brave browser and text selection automatically scrolls. Brave blocks ads, but provisions a way to pay sites, each user may choose. Has anyone tried doing that?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm @ David13, marc, kittycat51, elizabeth, and others who still use/like the old design, are you primarily viewing the forum on a desktop/laptop computer or a mobile device?
Laptop only.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Joel wrote: February 10th, 2018, 3:44 pm is there a way to enable a dark mode?
I'll keep that in mind as a possibility for the future (if there is enough interest).
I want a dark theme.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

BrianM wrote: February 10th, 2018, 1:46 pm Those who like the old design better, is there anything more specific you can say about why? and what would be so horrible about being forced to use the new design? If I can understand your perspective better there is a potential I can improve what you don't like about the new design. If it's a user-friendliness / user-experience issue, I would want to correct that. But also it could just be preference and just that you never got use to the new design.
I do consider myself computer literate, but I'm a creature of habit...old habits die hard. I use a laptop.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I am giving this theme another shot since the other one might go away. I've been using it mostly on my phone. I'm still annoyed by the fact that I can't skip directly to the first unread post on a thread. Also, it is buggy. It does weird things a lot and tends to jump around more than the old one. I will probably go back to the old one again when I get fed up with it again. Honestly, I think the old one was better, even for mobile.