Printing My Own Standard Works

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Printing My Own Standard Works

Post by mes5464 »

I am working on a project that will allow me to print my own standard works with footnotes of my own making. It will allow me to include images, quotes, adjust the font size (as my eye sigh gets worse), etc. I am sure that printing it will be a chore (not to mention expensive) but I am excited to have scriptures that include all of the notes I have made over the course of the years.

What do you do to mark your scriptures and make them easier to use for study purposes/speaking in church?

Crackers
captain of 100

Re: Printing My Own Standard Works

Post by Crackers »

Interesting idea. I bought new scriptures a couple of years ago, and find that I don't use them because I like my notes in my old set and the pages fall open where I expect them to. I also wanted to start afresh in my notations and markings, but I have been too scared to do it wrong- start one way and decide I don't like it- and haven't done much. I would love to hear some ideas on marking that people have had success with!

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Crackers wrote: September 8th, 2017, 4:19 pm Interesting idea. I bought new scriptures a couple of years ago, and find that I don't use them because I like my notes in my old set and the pages fall open where I expect them to. I also wanted to start afresh in my notations and markings, but I have been too scared to do it wrong- start one way and decide I don't like it- and haven't done much. I would love to hear some ideas on marking that people have had success with!
This is exactly the reason why I went with printing my own. I want to be able to make changes to my notes and reprint the pages that have changed. I am excited for when I get to the point of making my first print.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Crackers wrote: September 8th, 2017, 4:19 pm Interesting idea. I bought new scriptures a couple of years ago, and find that I don't use them because I like my notes in my old set and the pages fall open where I expect them to. I also wanted to start afresh in my notations and markings, but I have been too scared to do it wrong- start one way and decide I don't like it- and haven't done much. I would love to hear some ideas on marking that people have had success with!

Beware of friction pens. Image

Also heat will destroy many photo albums. X(

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Post-its. If I change books, I pull them off, then stick them in the new one.

And then I just write in the footnotes in the footnote area.

If verses on the same page correlate, I note it right after the verse.

I hope one day I can put them all in electronic format. Which you could do, make it a doc or pdf, and put it on a tablet or phone--no printing costs! And you can size it, too. :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I don't know what happened; several posts I made yesterday aren't here.

You don't need to print your own standard works; there's no point in reinventing the wheel. You can log in to the church website, mark scriptures and make notes, and they will be available any time you open scriptures on the church website.
If you download the church's mobile app, you can mark scriptures in there as well. You can also enter your lds.org credentials to sync these marks and notations with the church website so your comments and highlights are available everywhere.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I have finished the BOM, D&C, PGP, and NT. I haven't had the motivation to start the OT yet.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I just found the ePub format of the Standard Works on lds.org. I have been exploring using the Calibre editor. This might be a great alternative to what I was doing. I will return and report.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I have been working with Calibre now for a few days and I recommend it to anyone who wants to make their own customizable electronic scriptures. I saved the epub to my Google Drive. On my phone I used a free app called Calibre-go to download it to my phone. Then I use an app called Lithium with which to read the epub book.

The beauty of doing it this way, I can still print it if I choose to do so later.

I am very excited.

Note: I tried to start with the church's epub version but it was poorly formatted for the current epub standards. The church's epub must be very old. I have been copy and pasting the scriptures into a new epub of my own creation so I am essentially starting from scratch.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I am happy to report that I have finally finished my ePub book of the standard works, and I have started using it for my scripture study. Today I was focusing on Genesis 1:22, 28; Genesis 9:1-7; Abraham 4: 1-7; Moses 2:22, 28.