Creation/Evolution

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Where do you stand?

Earth/Universe was organized 6,000-10,000 years old
16%
Big bang
15%
Somewhere in between
19%
Other
15%
Dinosaurs turned into chickens
14%
Dinosaurs did not turn into chickens
22%

Total votes: 74
larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Creation/Evolution

Post by larsenb »

Spaced_Out wrote: September 9th, 2017, 10:51 pm
larsenb wrote: September 9th, 2017, 10:34 pm
Source for your claims that "DNS in dinosaurs have now been found all over the world." This is the 2nd time you've made this claim, citing no evidence for it.

And your conflating anthropogenic global warming with dating of dinosaurs, now? Quite the jump. And if you don't believe in C-14 dating, how can you presume to use it to say anything intelligent about the age of a 'Mosasaur'? Bit of a contradiction, wouldn't you say??
Climate change is evidence of political silence that is incorrect.
To me the scriptures are clear and that is all I need,a discussion on dinosaur soft tissue is neither here nor there. For your curiosity, some articles of finds in China, Canada, UK and previously the US. A 2 min google search, evolutionist wont accept the data anyway as it does not fit their political correctness.

"Amazing" Dino Fossil Found With Skin, Tissue in China
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -skin.html

A brown, pebble-sized object found in a rock pool on a beach near Bexhill, Sussex bears the first evidence of fossilised dinosaur brain tissue, scientists say.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ain-tissue

http://technology.inquirer.net/62706/di ... n-and-more

Scientists accidentally discover what appear to be red blood cells and collagen fibres during analysis of ‘crap’ fossils dug up in Canada 100 years ago
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... -fragments

CHINA - Dna Discovered In Dinosaur Egg
That dinosaur collagen and blood cells have been preserved to some degree is not in dispute. Your dinosaur DNA video doesn't say much, and certainly is not an official report of such a find. That was what I was looking for, and specifically that relatively viable dinosaur DNA has been reported.

Not sure what you mean by "Climate change is evidence of political silence that is incorrect", but you seem to want to hold on to your conflation of "climate change" somehow equating with your view on dinosaurs. Oh well.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 9th, 2017, 11:53 pm Adam brought all the plants and animals here, the earth may be 63M, but it didn't take that long to arrange transport from another planet. And Adam was not in the garden that long.
Well, hbmh, it appears you are at least very comfortable with your rather amazing assertions and assumptions. I assume they 'feel good' to you. Great.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

larsenb wrote: September 9th, 2017, 11:58 pm That dinosaur collagen and blood cells have been preserved to some degree is not in dispute. Your dinosaur DNA video doesn't say much, and certainly is not an official report of such a find. That was what I was looking for, and specifically that relatively viable dinosaur DNA has been reported.

Not sure what you mean by "Climate change is evidence of political silence that is incorrect", but you seem to want to hold on to your conflation of "climate change" somehow equating with your view on dinosaurs. Oh well.
It is has become impossible for people to publish good climate science as no publishers will publish it due to the political connotations, likewise if one publisher on dinosaurs soft tissue finds people get fired it is a suppression of truth and science. Do your own research and you will find these things are true.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Spaced_Out wrote: September 10th, 2017, 1:49 am
larsenb wrote: September 9th, 2017, 11:58 pm That dinosaur collagen and blood cells have been preserved to some degree is not in dispute. Your dinosaur DNA video doesn't say much, and certainly is not an official report of such a find. That was what I was looking for, and specifically that relatively viable dinosaur DNA has been reported.

It is has become impossible for people to publish good climate science as no publishers will publish it due to the political connotations, likewise if one publisher on dinosaurs soft tissue finds people get fired it is a suppression of truth and science. Do your own research and you will find these things are true.
... We are acidifying the ocean and fundamentally changing its remarkably delicate geochemical balance. Scientists are only beginning to investigate the consequences, but comparable natural changes in our geologic history have caused several mass extinctions throughout the earth’s waters. ... https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-ocean/

It may happen quickly and we may not be able to correct before it's too late; IAW with prophecy, but still a very sad sad situation. :(

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Spaced_Out wrote: September 10th, 2017, 1:49 am

I researched your so-called scientist, Mark Armitage. He was hired as a temporary microscope tech. His degrees are from unaccredited 'creation-related' schools. He is not a PhD. Someone who looked into the theses from the school from where he received an alleged advanced degree said they were glorified book reports, reporting on what others had done in the arena of primary research.

Got any more examples?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Seek the Truth wrote: September 1st, 2017, 11:22 pm
Thinker wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:27 pm I think it's ok to believe in both some type of evolution in which God ("prime mover" which Aristotle termed, and we biblically adopted) started.

As you mentioned, the time period is measured differently. IE: Noah is said to have lived like 900+ years - but they used to measure years differently back then. And of course, there is no time with God. And what is time - if you took out the sun and our earth - some would say it's measured by change.

Anyway - I don't believe in a big bang - but I do believe in some type of evolution since it is still ongoing - as is creation.
God went to some length to discuss the creation of everything, but really, really, really left out anything that sounds like biological evolution.
Creation itself is part of biology - that's how we and so much life exist.
We are evolving constantly. Every 7 years or so, all our cells have recycled themselves.

I really don't know what the problem is in accepting both intelligent design/creation... AND... that God intelligently designed us to evolve and eternally progress. I think the problem is when people take the Adam and Eve PARABLE as if it was not a spiritual lesson to be likened to us symbolically, but rather historical and scientific. Of all people, we who have been through the temple should understand this is to be likened to us symbolically rather than be taken literally, because we have seen, heard and sometimes acted out how Adam represents all men, and Eve represents all women.

It's really a beautiful parable, which shows us the cycle of life and spirituality we go through. At first, we are born under our parents' care - and have this illusion that the world is all for us and that all our needs are taken care of without us having to do much "gardening." Then, we grow up and move out... and learn a bit, yet still turn to parental authorities for a sense of everything being taken care of for us, and then we again learn and may question that after again realizing a new ability to discern good from evil... So we don't fall for any guru or false prophet. Then, we may question everything - be skeptical - which some may switch prophets to someone like Stephen Hawking (Fowler's faith stage 4)... and then again, we realize there are limits to logic and again, we take of the symbolic fruit to realize we have more to learn in discerning and we come to see that there is truth in both logic and spiritual traditions (Fowler's faith stage 5)... http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-f ... faith.html

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

captainfearnot wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 8:28 am
Thinker wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:27 pmAs you mentioned, the time period is measured differently. IE: Noah is said to have lived like 900+ years - but they used to measure years differently back then.
I've never heard this explanation for why the old patriarchs lived nearly 1,000 years. How did they measure years back then?
It is believed (by some) that they measured years by lunar months. So, ie: 950 lunar month-years= about 77-79 of our currently measured years.
There are some who argue that the bible repeatedly confirms people living crazy long lives, but it just doesn't make sense logically to me.
Back in the cave-man day when there were more threats to life, people (as wild animals) likely lived shorter lives.
We know in our own history that life-span is continually increasing, not decreasing, because of medical advances etc.

Also, if you think about God and time... well eternal is "beyond time", which I believe God is - and change (ie creation) is used as a measurement.
And if you consider the periods of change representing "days" of creation - you realize the biblical authors took symbolic license - and so it should not be taken literally - especially considering how words can mean different things in different cultures and through many warped translations and tweekings.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Another way to look at the alleged longevity of Adam and his prosperity, is that when Adam and Eve were cast out "into the lone and dreary world", they were introduced into this telestial world . . . . where death WOULD happen to them . . . yet retained the ability to live very long lives . . . which dwindled with successive generations due to their intermingling w/former inhabitants, etc. (e.g., possibly Neanderthal . . . which, if you do a current autosomal DNA analysis, you will be told what percentage of Neanderthal DNA you possess, if any).

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Creation/Evolution: Yom & The Age of the Earth

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Yom & The Age of the Earth 

If the earth was created in six 24-hour days, and if the chronologies in the Bible are correct, then earth would be about 6,000 years old. However, numerous scientific methods of estimating the age of the earth, of fossils, and of various geologic structures all point to an earth that is much, much older--even billions of years old. Today, I believe that most Christians who are scientists have little difficulty in accepting the idea that the earth is very old. See, for example, the Affiliation of Christian Geologists. One of several helpful articles there is "I was first convinced . . ." (of the old age of the earth) by C. Gordon Winder.

Should we be surprised if Church leaders in New Testament times probably relied on a literal interpretation of Genesis and thought the earth was young? In the absence of scientific information, it may have been a natural conclusion. Peter did write that a day with the Lord is like a thousand years to man (2 Peter 3:8), and may have reflected his understanding that longer times were involved in the Creation--but could he have entertained the notion of an earth many billions of years old?. In the absence of specific revelation and scientific information on the matter, we should not dismiss the witness of the Apostles if they failed to understand the true age of the earth.

On the other hand, it is wrong to think that "historic Christianity" has always taught a young earth based on Creation over six 24-hour days. A useful discussion comes from a page of quotes compiled by Stephen Jones of Australia (not the LDS Steven Jones of BYU):

From the outset, we note that at least some of the acrimony over the interpretation of the Genesis days arises from language differences. Turning biblical Hebrew into English prose and poetry presents some enormous difficulties. Whereas biblical Hebrew has a vocabulary of under 3,100 words (not including proper nouns), English words number over 4,000,000. The disparity is even greater for nouns. Therefore, we should not be surprised that Hebrew nouns have multiple literal definitions. The English word day most often refers either to the daylight hours or to a period of 24 hours. As in "the day of the Romans," it is also used for a longer time period.

English speakers and writers, however, have many words for an extended period--age, era, epoch, and eon, just to name a few. The Hebrew word yom similarly refers to daylight hours, 24 hours, and a long (but finite) time period. Unlike English, however, biblical Hebrew has no word other than yom to denote a long timespan. The word yom appears repeatedly in the Hebrew Scriptures with reference to a period longer than 12 or 24 hours. The Hebrew terms yom (singular) and yamin (plural) often refer to an extended time frame. Perhaps the most familiar passages are those referring to God's "day of wrath."

Before English translations were available, animosity over the length of the Genesis days did not exist, at least not as far as anyone can tell from the extant theological literature. Prior to the Nicene Council, the early Church fathers wrote two thousand pages of commentary on the Genesis creation days, yet did not devote a word to disparaging each other's viewpoints on the creation time scale. All these early scholars accepted that yom could mean "a long time period." The majority explicitly taught that the Genesis creation days were extended time periods (something like a thousand years per yom). Not one Ante-Nicene Father explicitly endorsed the 24-hour interpretation. Ambrose, who came the closest to doing so, apparently vacillated on the issue.

We certainly cannot charge the Church fathers with "scientific bias" in their interpretations. They wrote long before astronomical, geological, and paleontological evidences for the antiquity of the universe, the earth, and life became available. Nor had biological evolution yet been proposed. Lamarck, Darwin, and Huxley came along some 1,400 years later."

In recent decades, many ministers have taught that the earth was created in six 24-hour periods, and many may have believed it earlier, though it was in response to Darwinian theories that young earth theories became solidified. It is still taught widely today. Some have even taught that the whole universe is no older than 6,000 years. But modern scientific advances now call for a revision to once-popular "young-earth" interpretations of Genesis. It's important to note that this view is an interpretation, particularly in light of the variety of meanings possible for the Hebrew word yom. (As examples to supplement the above discussion of its meanings, note that in Genesis 40:4, the word for day is translated as "a season"; in Judges 11:4 a form of the word is translated as "in the process of time.") In fact, one part of the LDS canon, the Book of Abraham, repeats the creation story much as found in Genesis, but uses the term "time" instead of "day," opening the possibility for lengthy periods being used instead of single days (e.g., see Abraham 4:13). -http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/science.shtml#age

Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught that a day, in the Creation accounts, “is a specified time period; it is an age, an eon, a division of eternity; it is the time between two identifiable events. And each day, of whatever length, has the duration needed for its purposes. . . . :-?

“There is no revealed recitation specifying that each of the ‘six days’ involved in the Creation was of the same duration” (“Christ and the Creation,” Ensign, June 1982, 11). -http://www.schoolofabraham.com/ageofearth.htm

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:56 pm Yom & The Age of the Earth . . . .
This is an excellent article. Thanks for posting. But too many times on this forum, people post articles without the link to the source up front. I don't know how many times, I have delved into a given post, not knowing for sure where it came from or whether the poster was trying to take credit for someone else's work.

You do have some links, but could you identify where you got this article in a way that doesn't force people to click on your links? I also believe that quoted articles should be put in the quotes Brian provides for them.

Thanks

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

larsenb wrote: September 11th, 2017, 2:13 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 11th, 2017, 1:56 pm Yom & The Age of the Earth . . . .
This is an excellent article. Thanks for posting. But too many times on this forum, people post articles without the link to the source up front. I don't know how many times, I have delved into a given post, not knowing for sure where it came from or whether the poster was trying to take credit for someone else's work.

You do have some links, but could you identify where you got this article in a way that doesn't force people to click on your links? I also believe that quoted articles should be put in the quotes Brian provides for them.

Thanks
Every word was from the cited articles.

Copyright laws must be followed, and not doing so may create a liability for our dear Creator of The Forum.

There is something called the "50% rule", that sets a maximum percentage of what may be copied for "fair use".

Many LDS sites place multiple articles on the same web page; the 50% rule may be why. Anything that is not your original words must cite the source. I actually composed if for another forum, where they award members Karma Points for reporting copyright violations. This one has survived a few years in that environment, because presumably, it does conform to the rules.

Block quotes aren't required, but are a good idea when your mixing in original words, and often words such as "emphasis mine" in cases such as this, where I bolded certain text, etc. Copying the plain text removes the fancy fonts, etc. I think it's best not to set limits any tighter than those required by law to keep posting as simple as possible.

Maybe somebody could make a tutorial; I've found the Reminders App on Apple products works great for saving snippets of code. Here is one example where I replaced [square} with {squiggly} to expose the code, and inserted periods, because the reminders app makes it difficult to select the last line of text.

The trick is to place the quote and url portion, all on the same line. :D

{quote="{url=https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/32.27}Alma 32:27{/url}"}

But behold, ...
{/quote}

Alma 32:27 wrote:
But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on September 14th, 2017, 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Maybe adding more fonts would help differentiate sources of text, without needing the block quotes, for easy reading. :-\

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Thanks

Copyright laws must be followed, and not doing so may create a liability for our dear Creator of The Forum.

There is something called the "50% rule", that sets a maximum percentage of what may be copied for "fair use".

Many LDS sites place multiple articles on the same web page; the 50% rule may be why. Anything that is not your original words must cite the source. I actually composed if for another forum, where they award members Karma Points for reporting copyright violations. This one has survived a few years in that environment, because presumably, it does conform to the rules.

Block quotes aren't required, but are a good idea when your mixing in original words, and often words such as "emphasis mine" in cases such as this, where I bolded certain text, etc. Copying the plain text removes the fancy fonts, etc. I think it's best not to set limits any tighter than those required by law to keep posting as simple as possible.

Maybe somebody could make a tutorial; I've found the Reminders App on Apple products works great for saving snippets of code. Here is one example where I replaced [square} with {squiggly} to expose the code, and inserted periods, because the reminders app makes it difficult to select the last line of text.

{quote="{url=https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/32.21}Alma 32:27{/url}"}

But behold, ...
{/quote}

But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
I think you're complicating the issue, but just my opinion. I just look for clarity indicating who is responsible for what I'm reading. Even something like: the following is from XXXXX, making sure you differentiate where the XXXX stops and starts . . . at least some way. And I thought the 'fair use' rule on this forum was set much higher than a mere 50%. But again, notice: the article was excellent. Good post.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Thinker wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm Creation itself is part of biology - that's how we and so much life exist.
We are evolving constantly. Every 7 years or so, all our cells have recycled themselves.
That is not what evolution is. Evolution would be if our bodies changed into another species every 7 years.
I really don't know what the problem is in accepting both intelligent design/creation... AND... that God intelligently designed us to evolve and eternally progress. I think the problem is when people take the Adam and Eve PARABLE as if it was not a spiritual lesson to be likened to us symbolically, but rather historical and scientific. Of all people, we who have been through the temple should understand this is to be likened to us symbolically rather than be taken literally, because we have seen, heard and sometimes acted out how Adam represents all men, and Eve represents all women.
The problem is God said animals reproduce after their own kind. Evolution says we change into other species. That human beings will someday no longer be human beings. Will those new beings be children of God? If we are made in God's image, in whose image are our replacements made in?

The teachings are directly at odds.
It's really a beautiful parable, which shows us the cycle of life and spirituality we go through.
If you understand it correctly, yes.
Last edited by Seek the Truth on September 12th, 2017, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

Lyrics Hie to Kolob

1. If you could hie to Kolob
In the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward
With that same speed to fly,
Do you think that you could ever,
Through all eternity,
Find out the generation
Where Gods began to be?

2. Or see the grand beginning,
Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation,
Where Gods and matter end?
Methinks the Spirit whispers,
“No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains,
Where nothing has a place.”

3. The works of God continue,
And worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression
Have one eternal round.
There is no end to matter;
There is no end to space;
There is no end to spirit;
There is no end to race.

4. There is no end to virtue;
There is no end to might;
There is no end to wisdom;
There is no end to light.
There is no end to union;
There is no end to youth;
There is no end to priesthood;
There is no end to truth.

5. There is no end to glory;
There is no end to love;
There is no end to being;
There is no death above.
There is no end to glory;
There is no end to love;
There is no end to being;
There is no death above.

Text: William W. Phelps, 1792–1872
Music: English melody, arr. Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872–1958, from the English Hymnal. Used by permission of the Oxford University Press. Making copies without written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Seek the Truth wrote: September 11th, 2017, 10:22 pm
Thinker wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm Creation itself is part of biology - that's how we and so much life exist.
That is not what evolution is. Evolution would be if our bodies changed into another species every 7 years.
The problem is God said animals reproduce after their own kind. Evolution says we change into other species. That human beings will someday no longer be human beings. Will those new beings be children of God?

The teachings are directly at odds.
It's really a beautiful parable, which shows us the cycle of life and spirituality we go through.
If you understand it correctly, yes.
Long ago my high school chemistry told me that rattle snakes were loosing their rattles, because those that rattled got shot.

Anyone familiar?

Is a rattle snake really a rattle snake, if it doesn't rattle?

admissionbangalore
Hi, I'm new.

Post by admissionbangalore »

Today, many religious denominations accept that biological evolution has produced the diversity of living things over billions of years of Earth's history. Many have issued statements observing that evolution and the tenets of their faiths are compatible. ...

BMS College of Engineering AdmissionBMS Institute of Technology Admission
CMR Institute of Technology Admission
Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering Admission MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology Admission MVJ Medical College Admission
New Horizon College of Engineering Admission
Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology Admission
PES School of Engineering Admission
Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences Admission
SJB Institute of Technology Admission
MS Ramaiah Medical College Admission
MVJ College of Engineering Admission
Rajarajeswari Medical College Admission
Sapthagiri college of Engineering Admission
Vydehi Institute Of Medical Sciences Admission
MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology Admission
PES Institute of Technology Admission
Reva Institute of Technology Admission
RV College of Engineering Admission
Sir M Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology Admission A J Institute of Medical Science Admission
Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Science Admission
Dr. BR Ambedkar Medical College Admission
Father Muller Medical College Admission
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Admission
JJM Medical College Admission
JSS Medical College Admission
K S Hegde Medical Academy Admission
Kasturba Medical College Admission
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences Admission
Sri Siddhartha Medical College Admission
St .Johns Medical College Admission
Yenepoya Medical College Admission
Last edited by admissionbangalore on February 1st, 2018, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Long ago my high school chemistry told me that rattle snakes were loosing their rattles, because those that rattled got shot.[/quote

But the ones that didn't rattle never lived long enough to get shot, or reproduce.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

It's really a beautiful parable, which shows us the cycle of life and spirituality we go through. At first, we are born under our parents' care - and have this illusion that the world is all for us and that all our needs are taken care of without us having to do much "gardening." Then, we grow up and move out... and learn a bit, yet still turn to parental authorities for a sense of everything being taken care of for us, and then we again learn and may question that after again realizing a new ability to discern good from evil... So we don't fall for any guru or false prophet. Then, we may question everything - be skeptical - which some may switch prophets to someone like Stephen Hawking (Fowler's faith stage 4)... and then again, we realize there are limits to logic and again, we take of the symbolic fruit to realize we have more to learn in discerning and we come to see that there is truth in both logic and spiritual traditions (Fowler's faith stage 5)... http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-f ... faith.html
False the scriptures teach the first 6 creative periods were spiritual creation. That Adam the first flesh on the earth his physical body was created in the 7th period then the garden of Eden created where Adam and Eve were placed. The animals only came after and the earth was in a terrestrial state of no death. Only since Adam was thrown out of the earth changed to a telestrial state. Animal life and man has only been in our current state for less than 6,000y, I see nothing in geology or any other science that contradicts this - note the discussion on soft tissue found on dinosaurs that are supposedly 130million years old..

God is a perfect manger and set the bounds, times and seasons for all his creations down to the millisecond. The pattern has been repeated with world without number. No need for evolution and a lesser intelligence cant create a body for a higher intelligence,... God also commanded all animal life to only multiply in their respective orders. To claim evolution is to make a mockery of the entire plan of salvation, and deny the Scriptures and teachings of the prophets.
Last edited by Spaced_Out on September 12th, 2017, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 7:39 am The group I think that has this best explained are the Intelligent design people who show that there is ample scientific evidence that the world and the universe was built following the design of an intelligent being, just as there is ample evidence that a Pontiac Trans AM wasn't built by a tornado blowing through a junk yard.
The group that actually does best explain are the prophets of t he restoration, but they don't seem to get any traction here.
Probably, the name of the topic is why, Creation/Evolution, no one really wants to know what the truth is, thy just want to argue their side of Creation/Evolution.

And the truth is so simple that it leaves nothing to argue about, and we just can't have that can we.
What I am now going to tell you, will no doubt astonish the whole of you.
When Yahovah Michael had organized the world, and brought from another kingdom the beasts, fish, fowl, and insects, and every tree, and plant with which we are acquainted, and thousands that we never saw, when He had filled the Earth with animal and vegetable life, Michael or Adam goes down to the new made world, and there he stays.”
(Brigham Young Oct.8, 1854 General Conference Report, Church Archives. Also see the Essential Brigham Young pg. 94)
There is no life on this planet that did not come from another planet, including Adam and Eve.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Thinker wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:44 pm It is believed (by some) that they measured years by lunar months. So, ie: 950 lunar month-years= about 77-79 of our currently measured years.
There are some who argue that the bible repeatedly confirms people living crazy long lives, but it just doesn't make sense logically to me.
Back in the cave-man day when there were more threats to life, people (as wild animals) likely lived shorter lives.
We know in our own history that life-span is continually increasing, not decreasing, because of medical advances etc.
I think you're right, it's just that I'm used to hearing this described as a translation error rather than a different way of measuring time.

So if you asked Methuselah how old he was when he died, and he said "969 years," you would naturally clarify by asking, "You mean you lived through 969 winters?"

And he'd respond, "What? No. I mean I've seen 969 full moons." And the miscommunication would be resolved.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Thanks

{quote="{url=https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/32.21}Alma 32:27{/url}"}

But behold, ...
{/quote}

In my dreary days, I will pray that God will somehow give me something to read or hear that will lift me up and carry me through my day. Many times I wonder how it will even happen
Or if it will happen at all. I wonder how He will lift me up. Today he did it through you with that scripture in Alma. Thank you. We can all be the light of Christ.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Thinker wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:44 pm
captainfearnot wrote: September 2nd, 2017, 8:28 am
Thinker wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:27 pmAs you mentioned, the time period is measured differently. IE: Noah is said to have lived like 900+ years - but they used to measure years differently back then.
I've never heard this explanation for why the old patriarchs lived nearly 1,000 years. How did they measure years back then?
It is believed (by some) that they measured years by lunar months. So, ie: 950 lunar month-years= about 77-79 of our currently measured years.

Also, if you think about God and time... well eternal is "beyond time", which I believe God is - and change (ie creation) is used as a measurement.
And if you consider the periods of change representing "days" of creation - you realize the biblical authors took symbolic license - and so it should not be taken literally - especially considering how words can mean different things in different cultures and through many warped translations and tweekings.
Lots of supporting evidence that Adam lived that long, and that years were not measured in lunar months. Look at the genealogies and ages. Look at Adam-ondi-Ahman. Look at the astronomy.

Yes, about every Adam and Eve depicted are close to cavepeople, but... Adam and Eve were not cavepeople. Great advanced civilizations existed near the beginning. That would be near impossible to accomplish in 1,000 years, starting from cavepeople.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Seek the Truth wrote: September 11th, 2017, 10:22 pmThat is not what evolution is. Evolution would be if our bodies changed into another species every 7 years.
The problem is God said animals reproduce after their own kind. Evolution says we change into other species. That human beings will someday no longer be human beings. Will those new beings be children of God? If we are made in God's image, in whose image are our replacements made in?
Evolution is defined as "the process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth; the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form."

Evolution is NOT "our bodies changing into another species every 7 years" as you mistakenly wrote. Evolution is not about such drastic rapid change - but gradual - with the patience of God - we're talking millions of years sometimes - for changes.

Evolution is proof of intelligent design! Intelligence has been defined as "the ability to adapt to change." Evolution is adaptation. Science looks for and tests habits - consistencies. Evolution is breaking out of those habits to try something new - something better!

Some obvious evidences that we have evolved is our resilience to disease compared to years ago... and we live longer lives than we used to. We're evolving to adapt in better ways. Another proof of diversification & increasingly adaptability is how bi-racial offspring are genetically better off than those who are "in-breeds." ;)

Spirituality is all about evolution - eternal progress! Damnation is as a damn - holds us back from progressing. Everything was created spiritually before materialized, so again, a type of evolution is universal truth. That doesn't mean to imply that we were monkeys or that we'll evolve into some weird creature - but that we are spiritually & physically programmed by God (intelligent design) to become the best we can become - eternal progress!

If you want to explore this further... Consider who/what God is. If God is truly infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent etc... how could God be limited to a human body? I believe, though I don't understand the details, that God is much more than my finite mind can comprehend.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Spaced_Out wrote: September 12th, 2017, 4:45 am False the scriptures teach the first 6 creative periods were spiritual creation.
Interesting point - spiritual creation precedes material/physical creation. Makes sense.
That Adam the first flesh on the earth his physical body was created in the 7th period then the garden of Eden created where Adam and Eve were placed. The animals only came after and the earth was in a terrestrial state of no death. Only since Adam was thrown out of the earth changed to a telestrial state. Animal life and man has only been in our current state for less than 6,000y, I see nothing in geology or any other science that contradicts this - note the discussion on soft tissue found on dinosaurs that are supposedly 130million years old..
Years ago, even when I took things literally in symbolic scripture stories, I questioned the math.
How could Adam and Eve have lived about 6,000 years ago, and we are supposed to be in the "last days" and yet Jesus came in the "meridian of time"?
That would mean that Jesus would have had to come much earlier than he did.
Anyway - that and other problems - reminded me that the scriptures are not intended for science or history class - but for spiritual learning - to be likened to us symbolically. When we get caught up in taking things literally, we miss the mark - the whole point of the intended teaching.
God also commanded all animal life to only multiply in their respective orders. To claim evolution is to make a mockery of the entire plan of salvation, and deny the Scriptures and teachings of the prophets.
God (actually imperfect writers of canonized, cherry picked work) - also suggested that skin color was comparable to worthiness - and other racial prejudice like people should not marry other races. But do you know what happens when people don't mix genetically? Genetic flaws are more likely. That's why in our country it's illegal to marry your sibling or even cousin. So on one hand, you have writing encouraging prejudice and in-bread sickness. On the other hand you have scriptures like, "God is no respector of persons" and "love one another as I have loved you" - even if they're a hated Samaritan or other race. The more genetically diverse we are - the better chance of healthier genes.

Moral: Nobody (not even scripture writers) is perfect. Study, ponder & pray - to discern truth and goodness - & take the best, leave the rest.
Last edited by Thinker on September 14th, 2017, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.