In Defense of Lee And Jackson

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: In Defense of Lee And Jackson

Post by David13 »

gclayjr wrote: August 30th, 2017, 8:19 am David13,
George has been led to water (facts). He just doesn't want to drink it (knowledge).
I guess when you ignore facts, what you drink is Kool-Aid

Regards,

George Clay
George
This one is quite long. But it will give you a bit of an education, both as to the obvious truth, and to where we are coming from.
dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOnL-P ... annel=null

George
If you will be so open minded as to watch this video, I would like you to rebut anything in the video AND to tell me what was Jefferson Davis sentence after he was tried and found guilty of treason for having fought in the war? That is the question. What was his sentence?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

David13,

I'm sorry that I trusted you and fell for a typical tactic that all of you radical revisionists try to throw out there. I should have known better. Thanks for wasting a half hour of my time. I have much to do and should not fall for you guys puking stuff trying to convince me (or others that there is some great insight in it rather than the same ole BS, and we should only read this special insightful link.

So let me ask you a question. You and your buddies have been puking a lot of crap from historical revisionists both on this thread and others, stating that if we would only read this one or view that one we would see the insight that we obviously have missed. You assume that I and people like me are uninformed and do not know abut your arguments, so if only we actually heard (or read them) we would understand this revisionist crap. So my question; what did I miss in this video that presents something that is different or better explains this Lincoln hating revisionist crap that I wouldn't have found in all the other crap that you guys post thinking that it shows some brilliant insight?

I have a life and I would gain nothing by debating all of this familiar crap with you guys, because I know your minds are closed and you want the story that proves your prejudices so much that you cannot recognize truth. The fact of the matter is that as I have mentioned before, I don't really respond believing any of you closed mined bigots will change your mind, I respond for those many readers who usually don't post anything to make sure they at least get the truth.

While I have asserted that this video is a bunch of crap, mostly Lincoln hating crap and , while I don't have the time nor the inclination to try and go through this point by point, I will pick one of the more common slimy assertions and show how misdirection is used to promote a falsehood.

Let's say the "Emancipation proclamation"; I could buy a new car, if I had a nickel for every time a Lincoln hating revisionist stated this did not free a single slave. Then followed with the "coup de gras" that he opposed freeing slaves that existed in border states that were fighting on the Union side of the wart. QED, this proves that the war was not about slavery. What Bull crap!

While the jots and tittles of those statements may be true, the so called conclusion is ridiculous... except to Lincoln haters looking for something to prove their case. Actually the emancipation proclamation freed many slaves, just not at the time it was given. Since it freed slaves in states in rebellion, those states had to be defeated before those slaves could be freed. However, many slaves were really freed by the emancipation proclamation in the areas traveled by General Sherman as he marched through Georgia and the Carolinas. So in actuality that assertion is false.

The problem with the statement regarding his not freeing the slaves in border states is the same slimy deception as all of the slander about his not wanting to fight a war to free the slaves. I have addressed this before, and your video has done nothing to either refute or add any context to what I said before. Lincoln was elected president from the new Republican party whose very existence was to oppose slavery. Lincoln, knowing how those Fire eating southerners were just looking for an excuse to secede, and start a war, was trying to hold out olive branches to them to try and preserve this union. He tried to reassure them that he wasn't going to come after their slaves. (He didn't tell them that he wouldn't oppose slavery in new states). SO your revisionist friends jump upon his efforts to reach out and prevent this violent rebellion as evidence that he wasn't fighting over slavery. Actually that is true. The SOUTH was. He was just responding. SO the South secedes, starts a war by attacking an American fort,and Lincoln responds, and you say that it wasn't about Slavery, because Lincoln was more interested in keeping the Union together than immediately disbanding slavery, QED it has been proven that the war wasn't about slavery. You miss the fact that it wasn't Lincoln who started the war, it was the south and they were fighting FOR slavery.

Again I could go on and on point by point how these historical revisionists have taken facts and statements out of context and revised history, to fit their own agenda, but that won't convince you or your other Lincoln hating, America Hating brothers. So why bother?

Again. I know you live in a fantasy where you think I disagree because I haven't read or heard some particularly insightful analysis or another, but you just vomit the same old Bull Crap. So please show me where I am wrong. What in this video is different form the bull crap all of your buddies have been linking to previously that I missed?

Regards,

George Clay

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

gclayjr wrote: August 30th, 2017, 8:35 pm David13,

George Clay
A. The civil war was not fought to free the slaves.

B. I didn't read your entire rant. I stopped when I saw inappropriate language in it.

C. I don't believe you watched it at all as you, for all your time spent posting a long and self serving post, DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION. Which has to indicate to you what it was all about.

D. You have it backward. Revisionist history says the civil war was fought to free the slaves. Traditional history, and history of the era from about the end of the war to about 1920 or so says it wasn't.

dc

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

George you say you admire jacksons and lee. I'm curious why you admire them?

In my mind knowing some of your past posts I would guess its due to their military leadership skills or something military related. Am I right?

Do you believe that we the people had more rights and more freedoms befor or after the civil war and why?

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

gclayjr wrote: August 30th, 2017, 6:32 am I'm glad that most of you are starting to admit that slavery was the main issue, while slandering me! It is funny that nobody recognizes my multiple statements of Admiration of both Lee and Jackson as individuals, and the many good southerners who fought for what they perceived as defense against a Northern invasion of their states.

However, like any revisionists, when backed in a corner, instead of recognizing your own excesses, you blame the truth telling messenger. If you go back to the Original Article that started this thread, You will see that it WAS trying to blame Lincoln and deny that the War of the Rebellion was about Slaver ( Not just SIMPLY about Slavery). Although their wording included a lot of slimy deniability like
Think, folks: Why would the Southern states secede from the Union over slavery when President Abraham Lincoln had offered an amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing the PRESERVATION of slavery? That makes no sense. If the issue was predominantly slavery, all the South needed to do was to go along with Lincoln, and his proposed 13th Amendment would have permanently preserved slavery among the Southern (and Northern) states. Does that sound like a body of people who were willing to lose hundreds of thousands of men on the battlefield over saving slavery--especially considering that the vast majority of Southerners did not own a single slave? What nonsense!

The problem was, Lincoln wanted the Southern states to pay the Union a 40% tariff on their exports. The South considered this outrageous and refused to pay. By the time hostilities broke out in 1861, the South was paying up to, and perhaps exceeding, 70% of the nation’s taxes. Before the war, the South was very prosperous and productive. And Washington, D.C., kept raising the taxes and tariffs on them. You know, the way Washington, D.C., keeps raising the taxes on prosperous American citizens today.
Now if you self denying revisionists want to move from 1st Grade original American history to 2nd grade Original American history, maybe you should Learn about why the Whig party fell apart to be replaced by the newly formed Republican Party. Then maybe you should study such things as the Missouri compromise and the Pro Slavery southern terrorists that caused "Bleeding Kansas".

Maybe then you will get a better understanding of what was really going on when you smear Lincoln for NOT going after Slavery in the south.

The REAL fact of the matter is that the Secession was NOT only about Slavery, which as so many southern apologists like to use to smear the truth, was not in immediate danger of being restricted or stopped in the south, but about the EXPANSION of Slavery. The south was really fighting to EXPAND slavery into new states, and the fact that the newly elected Republican president was from a party whose main platform was to STOP THE EXPANSION of slavery sent them into secession and war!

It is sad to see the evil and hatred that leads those who twist Abraham Lincoln's efforts to keep the "Fire-Eaters" of the south from seceding and STARTING a war, as evidence that he didn't care about slavery!

I suppose that with the extreme level in which you guys mis-characterize Lincoln to promote your lying version of history, I should feel honored at your mis-characterization of me also, in responding to another article that lies about the reason for the American Civil war. I will consider it an honor to be lied about similarly as Lincoln!

Not all Southern Sympathizers are from the South. It seems to me that these lies about Lincoln and the causes of the War of the Rebellion feed into 2 basic desires that are so prevalent here on this board.

1) With the growth of Federal power and the twisting of the American Constitution by politicians today, it makes a nice fairy tale to believe that the South was fighting against the expansion of federal power just like maybe more people should do today

2) Blame American hegemony and imperialism for all of the world's problems. Hey It was Lincoln's fault and if he wasn't such an SOB, then the bloodiest war in American History would never have been fought by a bunch of guys who just wanted the federal government to leave them alone to chase after Life, Liberty and Happiness, then Hey if we left those Muslim terrorists alone, then they would leave us alone too.

It's NOT their Fault... It's ours

And that is why so many Libertarians fall for this false narrative. It fulfills their wish for a world view

Regards,

George Clay
The issue was not slavery. If Southerners could have had the same lifestyle without slavery, they would never have talked about it. The issue was about the North telling the South it could not have slaves. The issue was about whether it was an empire run from the North, or a republic where states rights were valued. Slavery happened to be the most talked about issue, but it was just a pawn on the chessboard of states' rights. I do agree for some people it was about slavery, but not many.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Ezra,
George you say you admire jacksons and lee. I'm curious why you admire them?
Lee Struggled about whether to fight for the South or the North. He was actually offered a better position in the North. He decided that he owed his allegiance more to his state than to the country. and Yes he was a good general. As I mentioned before, Thomas Jackson, while quirky, also, tried to live by what he perceived to be good Christian values, and moral principles, and yes he was a good general also.

Regards,

George Clay

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

David13,
A. The civil war was not fought to free the slaves.

B. I didn't read your entire rant. I stopped when I saw inappropriate language in it.

C. I don't believe you watched it at all as you, for all your time spent posting a long and self serving post, DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION. Which has to indicate to you what it was all about.

D. You have it backward. Revisionist history says the civil war was fought to free the slaves. Traditional history, and history of the era from about the end of the war to about 1920 or so says it wasn't.
Thanks for completing the loop and proving your complete lack of character! I wasted a half hour of my time believing you when you said that there was something special in that video, rather than it being just a puking out of the same ole BS. Unlike you, I took what you said at face value, instead of accusing you of lying, like you did to me. and look what it got me!

So you lied, I believed it, and I tell the truth and you accuse me of lying,.,, figures

I shouldn't be surprised, unlike you guys, I make an effort to clearly and concisely write down my thoughts and supporting references. I usually put in links, not to be lazy and waste peoples time expecting them to some how be magically amazed by reading reams and reams of puke, but to to give them the chance to check my statements and quotes in context if they should so desire.

Now as a courtesy to you, I did make my post a bit longer than I usually do to selectively point out and analyze in one of the most common lies and distortions, in that video, that I see made by you guys (The Emancipation Proclamation lie. Just ask the descendants of the tens of thousands of slaves who were freed by the Emancipation proclamation in Georgia and the Carolinas after General Sherman brought that message to them :)..),

I should not have expected anything more from you, because like your brotheren, you have no more intellectual depth (as demonstrated above) than to endlessly assert the same things over and over and over again with no real substance hoping that people will be either over whelmed or amazed by your links, copy pastes or whatever into actually believing this stuff.

Luckily, as I stated above, (which you probably didn't read), I don't post expecting to change your closed mind, I post for those who read the crap you guys vomit, and let them see the distortions in your arguments. Maybe one of them had an aha moment regarding your oft repeated lie about the Emancipation Proclamation. If so, it was worth it!

Regards,

George Clay

PS: Sorry for the rough language, but I am a former Marine who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, and I also don't drink my hot chocolate in little delicate china cups, with my little pinky sticky out, or get the vapors if someone doesn't lisp and speak softly.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Well, fellas, I guess them Yanks done whipped us again. We best tuck tail and run.

Hey, George, for or against, Brexit?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Silver,

For! Even though Southern Apologists see the Civil war as kicking back against an overbearing Federal Government (and of course that is not my vision), I really do oppose Centralizing power into a central Oligarchy, like the EU. However, like Venezuela, the other alternative isn't all that great. I would even be more for Brexit, if I believed that the British government would reduce the government burden, and leave their own citizen's more freedom to seek out Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness, than the EU does.

By the way, I will agree, that the necessities of fighting the Civil war, may have given excuses for politicians of the future to seize more power and dilute the intent of the American Constitution. However, Like Venezuela, the other alternative was not good..actually much worse.

Everything opposing something bad is not necessarily good, and is often worse.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 6:42 am Silver,

For! Even though Southern Apologists see the Civil war as kicking back against an overbearing Federal Government (and of course that is not my vision), I really do oppose Centralizing power into a central Oligarchy, like the EU. However, like Venezuela, the other alternative isn't all that great. I would even be more for Brexit, if I believed that the British government would reduce the government burden, and leave their own citizen's more freedom to seek out Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness, than the EU does.

By the way, I will agree, that the necessities of fighting the Civil war, may have given excuses for politicians of the future to seize more power and dilute the intent of the American Constitution. However, Like Venezuela, the other alternative was not good..actually much worse.

Everything opposing something bad is not necessarily good, and is often worse.

Regards,

George Clay
Then you are a hypocrite, George, plain and simple. The right of people to determine their own destiny should not be trampled upon by do-gooders. I suppose you also approve of West Virginia being unconstitutionally stolen from the Commonwealth of Virginia. I pity you.

On a personal level, there are bound to be people (including me) with whom you do not want to associate. If I made you hang out with me, in spite of your feelings towards me, that would be unrighteous dominion. That principle applies at every level. City...state...national.

The Declaration plainly states:
When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

The War of Northern Aggression trashed that great declaration and made the South stay in the Union. I'll be praying for you to repent of your hypocrisy, George.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

The Civil War was about whether or not states have the right to secede.

Voluntary union vs compulsory union.

Lincoln fought against states seceding. Pure and simple.

Jeffersonians say yes. Lincolnians say no.

One side is "think locally, act locally, govern locally". The other side believe in greater centralization of decision making.

Reasons or causes are actually a moot point. The real question is can political societies, which in this case have existed long before "Union", retain and exercise original sovereignty and self-determination. If not, why not?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Donald Livingston (in the first youtube above) is coming out with a book early next year:

It Wasn't about Slavery: The Great Lie of the Civil War
https://www.amazon.com/Wasnt-about-Slav ... 669&sr=1-1

Please note the cover. Lincoln and Jefferson. It was the clashing to two ideas, centralization vs decentralization, voluntary vs compulsory, self determination vs subjugation. Pre-order you copy now. :)

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Ajax,
True, but what was the reason that they tried to secede?

S-L-A-V-E-R-Y pure and simple

Regards,

George Clay

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Among many other things. Like I said, moot point George. The reasons the South wanted to is irrelevant. You say only slavery, I say many other things.

The question is, why did Lincoln not allow secession?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Silver,
When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
Yea, then we started a war to make it happen. I don't blame the British for for fighting to keep us as a colony. I don't claim that the British started the revolutionary war!

And the South fought to separate themselves.... because they wanted to maintain slavery which they thought was great and benevolent, and they started a war and LOST.

So I am the one who is consistent, not you!

Regards,

George Clay

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 9:04 am Ajax,
True

Regards,

George Clay
Game. Set. Match. ;)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 9:12 am Silver,
Yea, then we started a war to make it happen. I don't blame the British for for fighting to keep us as a colony. I don't claim that the British started the revolutionary war!

And the South fought to separate themselves.... because they wanted to maintain slavery which they thought was great and benevolent, and they started a war and LOST.

So I am the one who is consistent, not you!

Regards,

George Clay
I thanked you, George, because you have clearly shown how misguided your pet opinion is. The South started the war, you wrote. Guffaw.

Madeleine Albright declared that the death of 500,000 Iraqi children was a fair price to pay for the sanctions. You and she are attached at the hip. 600,000 people died because Lincoln and his generals tried to make the South stay in the Union. That's unrighteousness dominion.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Ajax,
why did Lincoln not allow secession?
Because he, like many others, did not agree with the fire eaters and you, that one could just quit the Union any time they wanted to.

Regards,

George Clay

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Silver,
I thanked you, George, because you have clearly shown how misguided your pet opinion is. The South started the war, you wrote. Guffaw.
I am sure that your beloved, Southern, Fire eating Edmund Ruffin would feel cheated by by your claim, since he took great pride in firing the first shot at Ft. Sumter and starting the war!

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 10:05 am Silver,
I am sure that your beloved, Southern, Fire eating Edmund Ruffin would feel cheated by by your claim, since he took great pride in firing the first shot at Ft. Sumter and starting the war!

Regards,

George Clay
That nonsense you're spewing has already been asked and answered. Too bad you can't open your eyes. You should ask yourself exactly how it hurts you to stop believing in unrighteous dominion.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 10:00 am Ajax,
why did Lincoln not allow secession?
Because he, like many others, did not agree with the fire eaters and you, that one could just quit the Union any time they wanted to.

Regards,

George Clay
Boo-hoo. Poor Lincoln. Somebody else wants to do something different. This is self-righteous do-gooder-ism, in other words, The Yankee Problem.

btw, the South didn't want to quit on a whim, it was 70 yrs in the making. Some states in the North however were reading to quit within the first few 20-30 years. Jefferson's response? God bless, go in peace.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Silver,

I 'm sorry. I am naive., I always assume people are asking honest questions, not trying to set traps, so I honesty answered your question
Because it was a stupid irrational non trap, I didn't get why you were high fiving yourself about my answer. I just realized why you irrationally thought you actually made some point, so I will point out why your "trap" was not a trap.

1) The EU is not a country any more than the British Commonwealth is a country and Canada can leave it, if if they so desire.

2) There is an actual clause (50) in the EU constitution providing detailed procedures nations will take should they desire to leave, and Britain exercised that clause. There is no such clause in the American Constitution.

I'm sorry for not catching on to your "trap" before; my only excuse is that it was so stupid and illogical that I didn't recognize it.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

gclayjr wrote: August 31st, 2017, 10:53 am Silver,

I 'm sorry. I am naive., I always assume people are asking honest questions, not trying to set traps, so I honesty answered your question
Because it was a stupid irrational non trap, I didn't get why you were high fiving yourself about my answer. I just realized why you irrationally thought you actually made some point, so I will point out why your "trap" was not a trap.

1) The EU is not a country any more than the British Commonwealth is a country and Canada can leave it, if if they so desire.

2) There is an actual clause (50) in the EU constitution providing detailed procedures nations will take should they desire to leave, and Britain exercised that clause. There is no such clause in the American Constitution.

I'm sorry for not catching on to your "trap" before; my only excuse is that it was so stupid and illogical that I didn't recognize it.

Regards,

George Clay
Thanks for showing again how desperate you are to defend an indefensible position. You support unrighteous dominion.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Sunday in GD a lady described her husband as a "stubborn old coot who won't go to the doctor".
Sometimes there is a stubborn old coot who won't admit that he is wrong, has swallowed the PC Kool-Aid and has things backwards.
dc

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

David13 wrote: August 31st, 2017, 1:04 pm Sunday in GD a lady described her husband as a "stubborn old coot who won't go to the doctor".
Sometimes there is a stubborn old coot who won't admit that he is wrong, has swallowed the PC Kool-Aid and has things backwards.
dc
George is a solid guy. We have more in common than not. Someday...