Alaris' Comment - Brotherly Love

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Alaris' Comment - Brotherly Love

Post by Thinker »

brlenox wrote: September 11th, 2017, 12:55 pm You are not driven by a need to know correctly you simply are subjective as you have observed. So what I provided was from my perspective a non-response. Something benign, of no particular significance and that's the kind of interaction that you would rather have...something that does not challenge you or make you think in the least. Also, just as polite suggestion, look up ad hominin and get a full sense of what it means. Anyway, I'm glad you felt my approach was more respectful but all of my posts tend to be about the same level of respectful based on my intent.
Maybe I spoke too soon.
How do you know what I'm driven by? You don't. You engage in a lot of cognitive distortions and logical fallacies, especially ad hominem attack...

"Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is where an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself."

When you engage in that - to me, it's like you saying, "I have nothing better to contribute to this conversation, and I feel threatened so I will try to make you look bad." And as a result, it's childish name-calling, rather than productive conversation.

I love to debate, though I'd never want to be a lawyer or anything. I do love for my thoughts to be challenged - but only when it's logical. When someone repeatedly engages in logical fallacy - and doesn't even realize or acknowledge it - it's not fun - it's annoying and counter-productive. Yet, when someone points out any flaws logically, it helps me get closer to truth, so I really appreciate it when that happens.