Trump's Wall

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Trump's Wall

Post by ajax »

Mexican President Says in Video Message Tonight His Country Will Not Pay for Wall
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/01/me ... ssage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOT Mexican President Has Canceled Trip to Washington D.C.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... -trip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. The wars of our age are not at variance with popular economic doctrines; they are, on the contrary, the inescapable result of a consistent application of these doctrines.” - Ludwig von Mises, Human Action

Curious Workman
captain of 100

Re: Trump's Wall

Post by Curious Workman »

The amazing thing is that if Trump just keeps saying that Mexico will pay for the wall, often enough and loudly enough (never exceeding 140 characters, of course), eventually IT WILL BE SO. Am I wrong?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Are the detention centers just the FEMA camps that people claimed Obama supposedly had or are they something separate?
Trump's Order Means Border Wall, More Immigrant Detention In Texas

Five days after his swearing in as president, Donald Trump signed executive orders on immigration that seem to follow through with some of his bleakest campaign promises — from strong-arming Mexico into paying for a border wall to banning Muslim immigrants from entering the country (including refugees of Syria's brutal civil war) and building up a deportation force to remove some of the country's estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants.

What the Trump White House announced on Wednesday is expected to have an enormous impact on Texas, which over the past decade has already seen a buildup of federal agents, state police, fencing and walls and other barriers along its 1,250 mile border with Mexico. In addition to expediting the buildup of a border wall (which Texas members of Congress don't even really want), the Trump administration hinted at how it might try to force Mexico to chip in on its construction; one executive order Trump signed Wednesday directs agency heads to "identify and quantify" the amount of foreign aid Mexico has received over the past five years, which the Trump administration could threaten to withhold if Mexico won't play ball.

What's also notable, but not surprising, about Trump's executive action on immigration is that it expands the massive detention complex that has thrived in South Texas — and enriched private prison corporations that secured lucrative federal contracts to jail everyone from immigrants convicted of crimes to asylum-seeking women and children. Here's what White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters on Wednesday, according to the Texas Tribune: "We’re going to create more detention space for illegal immigrants along the southern border to make it easier and cheaper to detain them and return them to their country of origin. We’re going to end the last administration’s dangerous catch-and-release policy, which has led to the deaths of many Americans.”

Cristina Parker with Grassroots Leadership, a Texas-based nonprofit that's pushed against the buildup of private-prison run immigrant detention centers in Texas (and even went to court when state health officials tried to give one such facility a child care license last year), said this of Wednesday's executive action: "This will almost certainly mean more immigrant detention in Texas, and if the past is any indicator, we'll be putting even more people in the hands of for-profit prison companies."

Trump's orders also call for resuscitating old federal programs that many, including in law enforcement, criticized for effectively turning local police into a wing of federal immigration enforcement. Much like Texas Gov. Greg Abbott earlier this week, Trump vowed to crack down on and threatened to strip funding from any so-called "sanctuary cities" that refuse to participate in his new deportation force (his orders also call for 5,000 more border patrol officers and a tripling of immigration agents).

As Joanne Lin, who works immigration issues at the ACLU, put it to the New York Times, “They’re setting out to unleash this deportation force on steroids, and local police will be able to run wild, so we’re tremendously concerned about the impact that could have on immigrants and families across the country."

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

This video was from a few years ago but it is a good warning to brown people, more deportations happened in the Obama years than any other president, Trump will carrying on the tradition. If you are legal and brown you might want to start carrying your birth certificate

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

We need that wall 10 ft higher now

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

BREAKING: Trump Will Call for 20 Percent Tax on Imports from Mexico to Pay for Border Wall
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/20 ... rcent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump spokesman Sean Spicer said this afternoon that new President Donald Trump intends to pay for for the wall he is planning to build between the United States and Mexico by imposing a 20-percent tax on all imports from Mexico.

It was not clear exactly how the Trump administration would impose the new tax on Mexican exports. But Spicer said it would be part of a broader plan to tax imports from countries with which the United States has a trade deficit, like Mexico.

“If you tax that $50 billion at 20 percent of imports – which is by the way a practice that 160 other countries do – right now our country’s policy is to tax exports and let imports flow freely in, which is ridiculous,” Spicer told reporters. “By doing it that we can do $10 billion a year and easily pay for the wall just through that mechanism alone. That’s really going to provide the funding.”

(via The Washington Post)

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Banging My Head Against a Wall
http://cafehayek.com/2017/01/banging-head-wall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here’s a letter to the Washington Post:
The Trump administration now says that the border wall will be paid for by a 20 percent tax on Mexican imports (“White House press secretary says border wall will be funded by 20 percent import tax on Mexican goods,” Jan. 26).

Because only people, not imports, pay taxes on imports – and because the people who pay the bulk of the taxes on imports are the people who buy the imports – and because the people who will buy the Mexican imports that the Trump administration will tax are Americans – the Trump administration’s plan will result in the bulk of the bill for the border wall being paid by Americans.

It’s true, of course, that this tariff will also harm Mexican producers by reducing their market share; many might go out of business as a result. But make no mistake: if this scheme does manage to raise the billions of dollars necessary to pay for this wall, those dollars will overwhelmingly be extracted from the purses and pockets of Americans.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux
Professor of Economics
and
Martha and Nelson Getchell Chair for the Study of Free Market Capitalism at the Mercatus Center
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030

time4175
Hi, I'm new.

Post by time4175 »

I had posted a something on this topic before but I messed up on sending because I see no evidence that I posted anything.

Trump's wall is a ridiculous waste of tax payers money. The wall solves no problems which caused the idea to come about to begin with.

Does anyone know why people desire to come to the United States? Illegal immigrants come from all over the world. The thought that a wall will stop illegal immigrants from coming to the United States is silly I think. Let's take the great wall of China, that great wall did not stop people from getting in completely. If a wall was to be seen as an obstacle to be put in place to limit people from entering in the United States then the Pacific and atlantic oceans would be the biggest obstacle I could think of yet we get illegal immigrants from Europe.

I am not a fan of Trump but because of media's control over the people we were led to believe hillary and trump were the only ones worth time.

Now we have trump and many who feel a wall will solve a problem.

Questions I have are these. If companies did not pay illegal immigrants money for work. Would illegal immigrants continue to enter in the United States?

As far as I know there is no such thing as being loyal to 2 countries. I do not understand how an American can call themselves Irish, African, Mexican, Chinese ect. If they live in the United States. I mean the whole premise of coming to the United States is the leave the country they were in originally. It is also required to denounce the government in which they were ruled.

So if you call believe your Mexican, Irish, African, and others. Then go and live in those countries you specify you have loyalty with in you heart.

If we did not have social security and forced insurance would people still want to illegally enter United States? Why? Do they know they are breaking United law?

If there were 7 different languages taught in United States would that increase or decrease unity? I refer to the confounding of the languages in old testament.

What benefits come of building a wall on boarder to and from Mexico? Is it difficult to get a visa in mexico? Are the prices appopriate for value of the Mexican people? If you like the United States and wish to live here why knowingly choose to break United States law as a first impression?

This I am sure will be one of the many topics pushed by media and those that watch the media.

Not many seem to have much respect for the United States any more due to our choices for government officials. First it was the League of Nations created by who? Then the United Nations created by who?

If we do not stop this contending one with another. This country will not be. This countries constitution will be hanging by a thread! What will we as latter-day saints choose? Can we avoid the examples shown in the book of Mormon when governments became corrupt and collapsed? We have more missionaries then ever teaching and proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Only through Jesus Christ will this country succeed.

My best to the poster. I hope we can all conquer our pride before it's to late?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

this would have triggered people
The full, uncut 84 Lumber Super Bowl promotional film. See a mother and daughter’s symbolic migrant journey towards becoming legal American citizens. Contains content deemed too controversial for the original ad and banned from broadcast.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Joel wrote: February 5th, 2017, 9:45 pm this would have triggered people
The full, uncut 84 Lumber Super Bowl promotional film. See a mother and daughter’s symbolic migrant journey towards becoming legal American citizens. Contains content deemed too controversial for the original ad and banned from broadcast.
So I would imagine that construction company will be sued for not doing their job. And why such a large door, talk about waist.

And that was not a journey for legal citizenship. But illegal.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Ezra wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:10 am
So I would imagine that construction company will be sued for not doing their job. And why such a large door, talk about waist.

Perhaps when people have a large waist they need a large door.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Silver wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:55 am

Lazy fat Mexicans wanting to live off wealfare would need a large door.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Different wrote: January 26th, 2017, 11:22 am We need that wall 10 ft higher now
I like you, you're different. :D

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Trump's "High-Tech Wall" Means "Not Actual Wall"

Post by Joel »

A Full Border Wall With Mexico? ‘Unlikely,’ Homeland Security Chief Says

WASHINGTON — John F. Kelly, the homeland security secretary, said Wednesday that it was doubtful that a wall along the full border with Mexico would ever be built, despite an oft-repeated campaign promise by President Trump.

“It is unlikely that we will build a wall from sea to shining sea,” Mr. Kelly told senators on the Homeland Security Committee.

Instead, Mr. Kelly said, the department will look to build physical barriers — including fencing and concrete walls — in places that make sense. He said that the department was still studying the best places to construct such barriers, and that he could not give an estimate of the cost.

The first bids for prototypes of the border wall were due Tuesday. According to people briefed on the agency’s plan, the first new section of the wall will be built on a short strip of federally owned land in San Diego, where there is already fencing.

Continue reading the main story
Congress has not yet acted on the funding request for the wall, and it faces considerable opposition from Democrats and even some Republicans.

Speaker Paul D. Ryan said Congress probably would not grant the Trump administration’s request for additional money for the border wall this year, adding that it would most likely be included in the next fiscal year’s appropriation.

In his budget released this month, Mr. Trump asked for $1.4 billion to pay for the initial development of the wall. The Department of Homeland Security said enough funding had been moved from other programs to begin construction.

Democrats have vowed to block Mr. Trump’s budget proposals to build the wall and add Border Patrol and deportation agents.

Mr. Kelly’s department has begun implementing key features of Mr. Trump’s executive orders to increase border security and crack down on illegal immigration. Federal judges have blocked the department from carrying out the president’s executive orders seeking to ban travel to the United States by citizens of six mostly Muslim countries.

Nevertheless, Mr. Kelly said the department was proceeding with other efforts to strengthen border security and was starting to see some results. For example, he noted that apprehensions along the southwestern border had declined. Border Patrol agents caught almost 17,000 people trying to cross the border illegally last month, down from nearly 60,000 people in December.

Mr. Kelly said stepped-up enforcement had forced smugglers to raise their prices, which most likely contributed to the decline in crossings.

Under questioning by senators on Wednesday, Mr. Kelly defended several Trump administration policies, including what the Homeland Security Department calls “extreme vetting” of international travelers, the searching of electronic devices at the border, and the possible separation of mothers and children at the border to discourage immigration.

Mr. Kelly told senators that children would not be routinely separated from their families unless the “situation at the time requires it,” such as when the mother is sick or addicted to drugs.

Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri, the ranking Democrat on the committee, raised concerns that the Homeland Security Department and the State Department were considering asking visitors applying for a visa to the United States for access to their cellphones, financial records and passwords to social media accounts.

Ms. McCaskill called the proposal “un-American” and said it could set off a diplomatic row with other countries.

“I’m worried that if we apply ‘extreme vetting’ procedures like this, American travelers will be forced to undergo the same scrutiny if these countries decide to reciprocate,” she said. “We are doing things that in no way trips up the bad guys.”

Mr. Kelly said that the visa-vetting procedures built on polices that had been in place for years and that foreign visitors could choose not to share their personal details.

“If they don’t cooperate, they can go back,” he said.

Asked about searching electronic devices at the border, Mr. Kelly said that just a small number of people had had their phones or computers searched. And he said the searches had yielded results, catching pedophiles and other criminals.

But that failed to persuade Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky, who called the policy “obscene” because it also affected citizens and green card holders.

“There is a difference between searching my bags and searching my phones,” said Mr. Paul, who added that he was worried that customs agents were downloading contacts and other information from cellphones.

Mr. Kelly got into a heated exchange with Senator Kamala Harris, Democrat of California, who pressed him to put his policy on separating families into writing for the sake of border agents. Mr. Kelly said he had done so orally and did not need to put it in writing.

Ms. Harris also questioned the use of more intense enforcement efforts to round up undocumented immigrants, including by sending agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement into courthouses to arrest witnesses and victims.

“They are now allowed to do their jobs,” Mr. Kelly replied.

same idea just a different administration....

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Silver wrote: March 6th, 2017, 8:55 am

Having a large waist can knock years off your life - even if your body mass index is healthy, scientists have warned.
A study found that men and women with large waist circumferences are more likely to die young than those with small waists.
:))

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Did someone say tunnels and ladders?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Why Arizona border wall will rely on tech more than cement

Post by Joel »

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

HEROIC Private Property Owners May be the Biggest Obstacle to Trump’s Wall
http://www.targetliberty.com/2017/04/he ... ay-be.html
The Austin-American Statesman reports:

If it is built, Trump’s wall will have to cross miles of roadless mountains, traverse expansive deserts and parallel a serpentine river. But the biggest hurdle to building a coast-to-coast border barrier may not be the terrain but its inhabitants, especially those in Texas, where property rights are second to none.

There is little question the federal government has the legal justification to use its eminent domain power to build a wall. Condemnation proceedings, however, could nonetheless present a major obstacle because they can drag on for years, drive up the project’s price tag and create sympathetic victims.

“It could potentially be the nail in the coffin because the problem that the Trump administration is going to come across is the potential for public opinion backlash,” said Gerald Dickinson, a University of Pittsburgh law professor who studies federal eminent domain law...

Thanks to Texas’ unique history as an independent nation, a vast majority of land in Texas is privately held. In other western states, all unclaimed land was turned over to the federal government when the states joined the union. Under the terms of Texas’ admittance, the state retained the land and, over time, doled it out to private owners....

There are thousands of parcels of Texas land that touch the Rio Grande, county appraisal district data show. In [Dob]Cunningham’s sparsely populated Maverick County alone, there are 209 parcels on the river, including land owned by a Native American reservation, a church, prominent Texas families such as the Basses and the Briscoes, and by a deep-pocketed Democratic state representative who would relish a showdown with the Trump administration.

“I’m somebody who can muster a lot of resources to try to make sure that that doesn’t happen,” state Rep. Poncho Nevárez, D-Eagle Pass, said while sitting in his living room, about 200 yards from the river. “I’m not going to go quietly into that good night.”..

Other land owners in the area are wealthier and more influential than him, he said. “I’d be very surprised if part of that wall was ever built through that property,” he said of the Indio Faith Ranch owned by the Fort Worth-based Bass family...

The Trump administration is readying for the fight. The president’s budget blueprint requested funding for 20 new Department of Justice lawyers “to pursue federal efforts to obtain the land and holdings necessary to secure the Southwest border.”

U.S. Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, said last week that he has counseled White House officials about the challenges they face in building the wall, which he supports “where barriers will work.”

“I’ve been trying to preach — and I’ve kind of got the White House and the Justice Department and other people to realize — that Texas is a very peculiar state, a very blessed state. … All that land along the river, along the border down there are owned by people and corporations. It’s private property,” said Carter, who chairs a budget-writing subcommittee that oversees the Department of Homeland Security and will play a key role in determining congressional support for the wall. “If they’re building a wall in Texas, it means they are building on private land, which means it’s harder, a lot harder.”

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Thanks for that post, ajax. And we're supposed to believe that Trump is conservative and that he wants to abide by the Constitution. LULZ.

Unfortunately, things are not really all that rosy for property rights in Texas. There are multiple jurisdictions where asset forfeiture is common.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote: April 10th, 2017, 7:48 am Thanks for that post, ajax. And we're supposed to believe that Trump is conservative and that he wants to abide by the Constitution. LULZ.

Unfortunately, things are not really all that rosy for property rights in Texas. There are multiple jurisdictions where asset forfeiture is common.
No doubt. But it has been my understanding, private landowners have been a big obstacle to a Texas wall in the past. Here's hoping they continue.