The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

For discussion of political issues in general.

What do the scriptures teach us about the earth?

The Earth is a globe.
60
68%
The Earth is Flat like a terrarium (a dome).
12
14%
The Earth is a globe and hollow.
13
15%
The Earth is Flat and hollow.
3
3%
 
Total votes: 88

michaelhord
captain of 10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby michaelhord » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am

Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 am

michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am
Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?
Unbelievable. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or stomp on your opinions, which are obviously strongly held. However, you're wrong. You're just wrong. So give it up. That's the only answer. Just like crackheads have to give up crack.

I lived in Houston near NASA. I knew a Mormon astronaut. His son and I served in the same mission. Brother Lind ain't keeping some deep, dark secret about the shape of the world. It's a sphere. Get over it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... i_12868837
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9728
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby shadow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 am

michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am
Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?
The flat earth theory has been exposed and there are some good people here trying to help you get out of the clutches of this philosophy of man you seem to be grasping. You're fooled, yet again. God created this earth in its sphere and all things on it. Your wild ideas are simply wrong.
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever...

michaelhord
captain of 10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby michaelhord » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:48 am

Proverbs 18:3
Second hand hear say is no reason to give up a matter before searching it out yourself.

It is not wrong to investigate but it is wrong not to if you are going to judge it.

NASA is lying. You can see plenty of very short videos on my YouTube channel.
A favorite of mine is ' liars and wires' where you can plainly see one astronaut tugging on another astroNOTs wires.
Astronauts know and admit that we can't leave earth orbit.
Have you bothered to look into the matter yourself before you judged it?

braingrunt
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:47 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby braingrunt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:54 am

Absolutely I've looked into it myself. Nasa can't disprove globe earth.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am

michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:48 am
Proverbs 18:3
Second hand hear say is no reason to give up a matter before searching it out yourself.

It is not wrong to investigate but it is wrong not to if you are going to judge it.

NASA is lying. You can see plenty of very short videos on my YouTube channel.
A favorite of mine is ' liars and wires' where you can plainly see one astronaut tugging on another astroNOTs wires.
Astronauts know and admit that we can't leave earth orbit.
Have you bothered to look into the matter yourself before you judged it?
May God have mercy on your soul.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am

Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 am
michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am
Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?
Unbelievable. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or stomp on your opinions, which are obviously strongly held. However, you're wrong. You're just wrong. So give it up. That's the only answer. Just like crackheads have to give up crack.

I lived in Houston near NASA. I knew a Mormon astronaut. His son and I served in the same mission. Brother Lind ain't keeping some deep, dark secret about the shape of the world. It's a sphere. Get over it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... i_12868837
There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 am
michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am
Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?
Unbelievable. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or stomp on your opinions, which are obviously strongly held. However, you're wrong. You're just wrong. So give it up. That's the only answer. Just like crackheads have to give up crack.

I lived in Houston near NASA. I knew a Mormon astronaut. His son and I served in the same mission. Brother Lind ain't keeping some deep, dark secret about the shape of the world. It's a sphere. Get over it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... i_12868837
There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.
Oh, for heaven's sakes! RH, on this issue, you're bonkers.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

michaelhord
captain of 10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby michaelhord » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

Moses 1:27
Moses saw the whole earth. You can't do that if it's a globe. A globe would have to turn.

Flat Earthers have some things in common with Mormons. No body takes them seriously. Nobody wants to see their evidence. People are mean to them and think they are crazy. They say they have the truth.
Mormons are half way prepared to be flat earthers. There is actually more evidence for flat earth. I have 50 mostly short videos ( around 2 minutes avg) debunking NASA .
The fool says in his heart there is no God.
Fools believe in NASA.

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am

Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 am
michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 am
Do you not see that this is a chance to expose evil?
Everyone was fooled. The first to realize it and fix it will get the rewards.

All we have to do is undo the work of evil.
Do you really want Satan to go unchallenged when we have the power of truth literally dropped in our laps.

What's the saying we always hear " all evil needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing.

Are you a good person that is willing to do nothing?
Unbelievable. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or stomp on your opinions, which are obviously strongly held. However, you're wrong. You're just wrong. So give it up. That's the only answer. Just like crackheads have to give up crack.

I lived in Houston near NASA. I knew a Mormon astronaut. His son and I served in the same mission. Brother Lind ain't keeping some deep, dark secret about the shape of the world. It's a sphere. Get over it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... i_12868837
There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.
Oh, for heaven's sakes! RH, on this issue, you're bonkers.
Seriously?
You think that the fact that you knew a relative of a person (not the person themselves, mind you) who is a Mormon, constitutes proof?
You have obviously set the bar very low my friend.

Brigham Young taught that the Moon was inhabited by people who dressed like Quakers. He was a Mormon... right? Not only that, but he was the president of the church!

Like I said, if your burden of proof is religious credentials, you are batting on a very sticky wicket.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9728
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby shadow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am

NASA isn't the author of a spherical earth. It was proven centuries prior to even the existence of the USA.
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever...

User avatar
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth
Posts: 3552
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am
Location: Sinope

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby iWriteStuff » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am

shadow wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am
NASA isn't the author of a spherical earth. It was proven centuries prior to even the existence of the USA.
Were they scheming Mormons too? Or just Jews? I'm getting confused on who the enemy is these days. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
"Every step in the direction of increasing one's personal holdings is a step away from Zion."

Hugh Nibley

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9728
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby shadow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am
(Utah is the fraud capital of the US)
Is it?
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever...

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9728
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby shadow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am

iWriteStuff wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am
shadow wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am
NASA isn't the author of a spherical earth. It was proven centuries prior to even the existence of the USA.
Were they scheming Mormons too? Or just Jews? I'm getting confused on who the enemy is these days. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
They were pre-mormons.
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever...

Finrock
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2422
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Finrock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am

michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am
Moses 1:27
Moses saw the whole earth. You can't do that if it's a globe. A globe would have to turn.

Flat Earthers have some things in common with Mormons. No body takes them seriously. Nobody wants to see their evidence. People are mean to them and think they are crazy. They say they have the truth.
Mormons are half way prepared to be flat earthers. There is actually more evidence for flat earth. I have 50 mostly short videos ( around 2 minutes avg) debunking NASA .
The fool says in his heart there is no God.
Fools believe in NASA.
May some Flat-Earthers also have a victimization complex? I've seriously looked at the evidence, I've viewed many videos, I've listened, I've considered, I've pondered, I don't think anyone here is crazy, and I want to see the evidence. And yet, all of the evidences and attempts to debunk NASA or to explain a flat-earth that I have seen, heard, or listened to, after having carefully considered it as fairly and with as little bias as I possibly can, in my opinion, are based on fallacious reasoning, they violate Occam's Razor, require extreme assumptions, and most importantly to me, they are rooted in fear and paranoia.


In addition to all of the above, putting aside my rational thinking, and focusing on what the Spirit says to me, the flat-earth theory "feels" wrong to my spirit. I feel no light there.

-Finrock
"You can't reason with a wolf" -rewcox

User avatar
gclayjr
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2509
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby gclayjr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 am

Robin Hood,
There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.
Lying Mormon Scriptures, Lying Mormon Prophets, Lying Mormon conference talks, lying Mormon temple videos...etc ?

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 am


Unbelievable. I don't intend to hurt your feelings or stomp on your opinions, which are obviously strongly held. However, you're wrong. You're just wrong. So give it up. That's the only answer. Just like crackheads have to give up crack.

I lived in Houston near NASA. I knew a Mormon astronaut. His son and I served in the same mission. Brother Lind ain't keeping some deep, dark secret about the shape of the world. It's a sphere. Get over it.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... i_12868837
There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.
Oh, for heaven's sakes! RH, on this issue, you're bonkers.
Seriously?
You think that the fact that you knew a relative of a person (not the person themselves, mind you) who is a Mormon, constitutes proof?
You have obviously set the bar very low my friend.

Brigham Young taught that the Moon was inhabited by people who dressed like Quakers. He was a Mormon... right? Not only that, but he was the president of the church!

Like I said, if your burden of proof is religious credentials, you are batting on a very sticky wicket.
See what you're doing? You're assuming that I base my whole spheroid conviction on one single post. What I am really doing is calling you out for undeniable silliness across dozens of your posts on the subject. Grow up. You're wrong.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

michaelhord
captain of 10
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby michaelhord » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks everyone for your input.
We can close my thread now.
I found what I was looking for.
Moses chapter 1 from a flat earth perspective solves my delema. 27-33 If you're wondering.
I don't know how to up load the picture but Moses saw the other Earths. Worlds without number.

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am


There are lying Mormon politicians, Mormon porn actors, Mormon fraudsters (Utah is the fraud capital of the US).... and so on. Why on earth would the religion of an astronaut make any difference to anything?
Believe the conventional wisdom regarding the earth if you like, but it is very unwise to support this view using anyone's Mormon credentials.
Oh, for heaven's sakes! RH, on this issue, you're bonkers.
Seriously?
You think that the fact that you knew a relative of a person (not the person themselves, mind you) who is a Mormon, constitutes proof?
You have obviously set the bar very low my friend.

Brigham Young taught that the Moon was inhabited by people who dressed like Quakers. He was a Mormon... right? Not only that, but he was the president of the church!

Like I said, if your burden of proof is religious credentials, you are batting on a very sticky wicket.
See what you're doing? You're assuming that I base my whole spheroid conviction on one single post. What I am really doing is calling you out for undeniable silliness across dozens of your posts on the subject. Grow up. You're wrong.
Sheeple.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am


Oh, for heaven's sakes! RH, on this issue, you're bonkers.
Seriously?
You think that the fact that you knew a relative of a person (not the person themselves, mind you) who is a Mormon, constitutes proof?
You have obviously set the bar very low my friend.

Brigham Young taught that the Moon was inhabited by people who dressed like Quakers. He was a Mormon... right? Not only that, but he was the president of the church!

Like I said, if your burden of proof is religious credentials, you are batting on a very sticky wicket.
See what you're doing? You're assuming that I base my whole spheroid conviction on one single post. What I am really doing is calling you out for undeniable silliness across dozens of your posts on the subject. Grow up. You're wrong.
Sheeple.
English bed-wetting type.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am

Ugh?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am
Ugh?
Does that mean you've surrendered your silly flat earth ideas?
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9728
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby shadow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:51 am

michaelhord wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 am

We can close my thread now.
This is your wife's thread.
images (4).jpg
images (4).jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever...

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am
Ugh?
Does that mean you've surrendered your silly flat earth ideas?
I can't surrender something I don't have.
You have clearly taken the blue pill. Enjoy your sleepwalk.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5054
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am
Ugh?
Does that mean you've surrendered your silly flat earth ideas?
I can't surrender something I don't have.
You have clearly taken the blue pill. Enjoy your sleepwalk.
RH, please note that I said you're wrong, not that you're bad. So to stop being wrong, what should you do?
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
captainfearnot
captain of 100
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:20 am

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby captainfearnot » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Never thought I would agree with RH on anything pertaining to this issue, but he's right about one thing. That an astronaut happens to be LDS is about the dumbest reason to conclude that the earth is a globe that I can imagine.

I actually do think that RH is on the right track with his position that how we arrive at our conclusions is just as important as the conclusions themselves, if not more so. You can make blind guesses and be right sometimes, but that's not a vindication of blind guessing as valid epistemology.

I just think he's picked the wrong issue to demonstrate this point. The size and shape of our home planet is as well established as anything in science, and these discoveries are actually a triumph of the scientific method—and a fascinating story (pick up Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything sometime).

There are lots of other scientific "facts" and theories that are getting corrected (by other scientists, natch) all the time. Something like that would better make the case that even science textbooks are not above skepticism. What you should be learning in science class is not a list of established scientific facts and natural laws, but the methods employed by scientists to find stuff out.

So sure, be skeptical of the shape of the earth. Science welcomes your skepticism. But on this particular issue, if your questions don't eventually lead you to the overwhelming mountain of evidence in favor of a spherical (I know, oblate ellipsoid) planet that weighs six sextillion metric tons, you're probably doing something wrong.

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 pm

Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm
Silver wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am
Robin Hood wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am
Ugh?
Does that mean you've surrendered your silly flat earth ideas?
I can't surrender something I don't have.
You have clearly taken the blue pill. Enjoy your sleepwalk.
RH, please note that I said you're wrong, not that you're bad. So to stop being wrong, what should you do?
Not listen to you.
There, problem solved.

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

captainfearnot wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm
Never thought I would agree with RH on anything pertaining to this issue, but he's right about one thing. That an astronaut happens to be LDS is about the dumbest reason to conclude that the earth is a globe that I can imagine.

I actually do think that RH is on the right track with his position that how we arrive at our conclusions is just as important as the conclusions themselves, if not more so. You can make blind guesses and be right sometimes, but that's not a vindication of blind guessing as valid epistemology.

I just think he's picked the wrong issue to demonstrate this point. The size and shape of our home planet is as well established as anything in science, and these discoveries are actually a triumph of the scientific method—and a fascinating story (pick up Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything sometime).

There are lots of other scientific "facts" and theories that are getting corrected (by other scientists, natch) all the time. Something like that would better make the case that even science textbooks are not above skepticism. What you should be learning in science class is not a list of established scientific facts and natural laws, but the methods employed by scientists to find stuff out.

So sure, be skeptical of the shape of the earth. Science welcomes your skepticism. But on this particular issue, if your questions don't eventually lead you to the overwhelming mountain of evidence in favor of a spherical (I know, oblate ellipsoid) planet that weighs six sextillion metric tons, you're probably doing something wrong.
Bill Bryson is one of my favourites.
Notes From A Small Island was my introduction to his books, and I have read a number of them since. I avoided the one you recommend though. I didn't really feel he was qualified to write authoritatively on such matters.

All I am doing is starting with a blank canvas. Just like everyone else I have been fed a diet of "science" from a very early age. This includes "facts" about our existence and the world we live in. Your comment right at the end of your contribution encapsulates, for me at least, the problem. The assumption is that certain issues have already been answered accurately and comprehensively, and to question them and find something different is impossible, therefore "you're probably doing something wrong".

I'm quite sure the scientists of 1000 years ago had exactly the same attitude.
It worries me because it smacks of pride and arrogance on the part of the human race. We need more humility.

With regards to my position on the flat earth question, I have already stated that I believe both sides are talking past each other. The real attributes of the place we call home right now are probably impossible for us to entirely understand in our current mindset. The best I can do is to draw parallels with the Matrix. We are in some kind of simulation in my view. The "solid" universe we see is only our perception. We see so little of what there is that to state anything wth the degree of certainty demonstrated by some contributors here is foolish beyond measure.

I am very grateful for my university education, where I studied environmental science, because it taught me to question and examine everything, irrespective of the perceived wisdom or the acknowledged concensus.

To summarise, I am really very uncomfortable with dogmatism, especially when demonstrated by people who simply spout the party line, regurgitating what they were fed from their very earliest years, never really questioning it, and shouting down or labelling as idiots or worse, anyone who does.

User avatar
gclayjr
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2509
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby gclayjr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 am

Robin Hood,
am very grateful for my university education, where I studied environmental science, because it taught me to question and examine everything, irrespective of the perceived wisdom or the acknowledged concensus.
Do you have as many doubts about "man made" Global warming as you do about a spherical earth?

Do you reject the conclusions of the faked data from the University of East Angiia, as readily as you expect those of us who have looked people in the eyes, who have become good friends and personally know people (me with the nephew of Auguste Piccard, and Silver with his friend the Astronaut in his ward) who are being smeared here in order to promote a completely false narrative of liars and conspiracy in NASA and among explorers and scientists, which is the only way to even make a ridiculous case for a flat earth?

So let me get this straight Environmental Science... Solid science by honorable scientists with no agenda, NASA a lying corrupt organization... Right

Regards,

George Clay

User avatar
gclayjr
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2509
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The Earth is Not a Globe!?! Is God literal, water above and below the firmament?

Postby gclayjr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 am

Robin Hood,

I want to thank you.
So when it comes to the shape of the earth I am not so proud and puffed up as to believe I have all of the answers. There certainly exists evidence that the earth is a sphere, but this is not my evidence. This is evidence that is presented to me by others. There is also contrary evidence that the earth is a flat plane. Again most of this is presented by others.
However, I have been able to conduct my own experiments in this regard. So far the results of these are consistent with a flat immovable plane rather than with a spinning ball.
They are, however, far from conclusive.

So, something's up. I have become suspicious that both camps are talking past each other and that both are missing the whole truth. I was interested in an article I recently read in a scientific journal where scientific thinkers were seriously hypothosising that we "live" in a Matrix type reality, and that this whole experience we call life is a simulation. Apparently, they have stumbled across evidence which leads them to this train of thought.

Now, I don't know if this is true because I can't investigate it for myself. But I feel it could be. I have always felt that this whole adventure isn't real. Our perception of reality is so limited, our view of the universe so restricted, and our understanding of ourselves and our purpose so inhibited, that to be dogmatic about anything, especially something we can't see (eg. the curvature of the earth) is foolish beyond words.
So, if we do exist in some kind of simulation, then the earth and it's shape is whatever our perspective and perception is within the Matrix. The possibilities are endless.

In other words, truth could very well be stranger than fiction.
When I have my conversations with global warming freaks who like to say that it is "settled science", and that anybody who denies this just doesn't believe in science, I will use your statement to show just how scientific British environmental engineers are!

So again thank you for helping me by supplying data to support my argument!

Regards,

George Clay


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5tev3, BeNotDeceived, CelestialAngel, Col. Flagg, Google Adsense [Bot], lundbaek, MikeSimons, Sarah, Tbone and 143 guests