Serious replies only, please

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Serious replies only, please

Post by Obrien »

So, the wife and I are sorting out end of year giving. I'm soliciting the names of known, bona fide charities that help real people in the real world.

I'm donating some to ldsco, to support the activities my kids are in. I'm looking for a good place or places to sow the rest of my contributions. The Lord has been good to us, and I want to fulfill His mandate from Matt 25 with these donations.

I don't need a stern lecture from the TBMs about tithing - Thanks in advance for your concern regarding my fire insurance. I'd like info from ldsffers who know good charities from first hand experience.

Liahona children's foundation is already on the list, along with a local non denominational food bank. Any other suggestions / recommendations? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Serious replies only, please

Post by shadow »

The shadow fund is always looking for wonderful contributions and they even accept honey.

I typically don't donate to charities other than the church and the local food bank. With the work my wife is involved with, there's no shortage of knowing who needs help with temporal things. Helping families at Christmas is also great. It's more personal (I'm not saying it's better) for me than donating to a charity so they can do the work. Oh, we've also donated to an abused women and children shelter also.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Obrien,
Are you talking about drilling a well in Africa for a thirsty village kind of a charity? Or would an anonymous gift to a family in your neighborhood where the breadwinner is unable to find work be more in line with what you're thinking?

Lots of opportunities here, too: https://www.gofundme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Shadow - if you're in serious need, brother, let me know. Seriously. Short of that, please give me the name of the shelter, even by private message. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Thanks, and merry Christmas to ya.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Silver wrote:Obrien,
Are you talking about drilling a well in Africa for a thirsty village kind of a charity? Or would an anonymous gift to a family in your neighborhood where the breadwinner is unable to find work be more in line with what you're thinking?

Lots of opportunities here, too: https://www.gofundme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver - Thanks for your question. I'm looking more to help with food, clothing, shelter, support etc for local people. I'm not opposed to helping a village in Africa, but I'm more prone to give locally.

Sorry, I don't do go fund me things. I've got a pretty small digital footprint and prefer to keep it that way. The reason I prefer local giving is that I can do it with cash

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

I have heard of folks that scan newspapers and other online venues for those that may be down on their luck, like a fire destroyed their home, robbed, car destroyed in a crash, etc... and then they give directly to the people. I tend to like this method as you skip any middle men pulling their share of the pie out. It can be a bit tedious to do the research and ensure the people are in real need, but I have read some wonderful stories on both sides of these types of giving situations.

I have a dear friend who lost almost everything in a fire a few years back. They had 6 or 7 kids living in the home at the time and everyone needed something, especially given it was winter and cold out. The community, and friend from afar, rallied around this wonderful family. They are a farm family and love the company that I work for so I bought several of my company shirts and sent them to them. They so much more appreciated this type of giving than a charity handing them a check.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Just drop off Christmas cards with donations to the poor people in your ward. It isn't too hard to figure out who is really struggling financially. Families with chronic illness, unemployed, single income, etc.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Obrien wrote:Shadow - if you're in serious need, brother, let me know. Seriously. Short of that, please give me the name of the shelter, even by private message. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Thanks, and merry Christmas to ya.
The shadow household is doing fine. I was just kidding with my shadow fund comment, but thank you for offering.

The shelter we used to donate to now gets grants so while they still accept donations, I don't feel that they really need them. But seriously, we donate to local families who we know are in need. I bet there are plenty in your own 'hood who could use a helping hand to pay bills or provide a Christmas for their kids.

Great work Obrien.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Sometimes miracles come with feathers. Chickens and their eggs are a beautiful gift of nutritious food for a hungry family. They are easy to breed--so your gift can grow and multiply...

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Obrien wrote:So, the wife and I are sorting out end of year giving. I'm soliciting the names of known, bona fide charities that help real people in the real world.

I'm donating some to ldsco, to support the activities my kids are in. I'm looking for a good place or places to sow the rest of my contributions. The Lord has been good to us, and I want to fulfill His mandate from Matt 25 with these donations.

I don't need a stern lecture from the TBMs about tithing - Thanks in advance for your concern regarding my fire insurance. I'd like info from ldsffers who know good charities from first hand experience.

Liahona children's foundation is already on the list, along with a local non denominational food bank. Any other suggestions / recommendations? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

What is "ldsco"?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I have a personal one. This year I lost to death one of the closest friends I have ever had. The death was sudden and unexpected. Working with her friends and family we established a fund to pay for private piano lessons for needy students in her name in a small town academy in her hometown. The needs are very modest, $1500 funds the scholarship for a full year so even the most modest contributions can go a long way. It would mean a great deal to me personally if some of you would consider a contribution to this effort. Information can be obtained from the following URLs:

Erskine Academy http://www.erskineacademy.org/wp-conten ... arship.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or my personal website: http://www.gkearney.org/pinette/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gifts made to the scholarship are tax deductible and should be indicated as to be directed to the Pinette Piano Scholarship.

Thank you.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

passionflower wrote:
Obrien wrote:So, the wife and I are sorting out end of year giving. I'm soliciting the names of known, bona fide charities that help real people in the real world.

What is "ldsco"?
LDSCo, also known as the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Shriners Childrens Hospitals are a great charity. I know from first hand experience. They take kids from any background with burns or other injuries that will cause disfigurement. The care is top notch and they provide it free of charge to the patient's family.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Serragon wrote:Shriners Childrens Hospitals are a great charity. I know from first hand experience. They take kids from any background with burns or other injuries that will cause disfigurement. The care is top notch and they provide it free of charge to the patient's family.
Thanks for the input, serragon. I like to support smaller charities that are more local. I'm not dissing the shriners, they're just not my cup of postum.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Serragon wrote:Shriners Childrens Hospitals are a great charity. I know from first hand experience. They take kids from any background with burns or other injuries that will cause disfigurement. The care is top notch and they provide it free of charge to the patient's family.
We have an organization like that over here.
It's called the National Health Service. ;)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Robin Hood wrote:
We're saddled with a similar monstrosity - it's called Obamacare. It's funded by overt theft and compulsion. I do not like entities that operate on these principles.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Obrien wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
We're saddled with a similar monstrosity - it's called Obamacare. It's funded by overt theft and compulsion. I do not like entities that operate on these principles.
Therein lies the difference.
We genuinely like the NHS and wouldn't swap it for anything else.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Find a foster child to sponsor for Christmas who won't otherwise have presents and make it a merry Christmas. While I limit gifts in my own family because the true meaning of Christmas is not consumerism, I have recently realized how stark some lives of foster children really are. Socks, shoes, clothing of any nature and maybe a nice toy or game would be nice. Call you local children administration office and I'm sure they can hook you up..... Seriously......

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

farmerchick wrote:Find a foster child to sponsor for Christmas who won't otherwise have presents and make it a merry Christmas. While I limit gifts in my own family because the true meaning of Christmas is not consumerism, I have recently realize how stark some lives of foster children really are. Socks, shoes, clothing of any nature and maybe a nice toy or game would be nice. Call you local children administration office and I'm sure they can hook you up..... Seriously......
Great idea farmer chick. Thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Merry Christmas.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

And A Merry Christmas to you!!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I'm resurrecting an old thread to prompt the recalcitrant and miserly among us to loosen up the purse strings here at the end of the year. I appreciate the several comments from last year.

Liahona Children's Foundation still has many stakes worldwide in need of sponsors. Last year were also able to also find a couple of local food-based charities, a woman's shelter, a pregnancy crisis center, and a ministry to help inmates, victims of crime and inmate families. We're helping these people again, and a couple of other organizations.

Please accept this challenge to fulfill the mandate of Matthew 25.

Peace be into you all.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Nancy Brown, American Heart Association CEO, provided the following comments on the report findings:

“This year, local governments across the country proved that taxes on sugary drinks have public support and are a smart way to increase revenue for health-promoting programs. ... http://newsroom.heart.org/news/support- ... ar-content

I gave to help counter the conspiracy of mis-information. Image

The tide is beginning to turn. :!:

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Lexew1899 wrote: December 5th, 2016, 8:47 pm Just drop off Christmas cards with donations to the poor people in your ward. It isn't too hard to figure out who is really struggling financially. Families with chronic illness, unemployed, single income, etc.
If you need any help, ask the bishop who could use it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Excellent suggestion, Johnny. Also, you might pass the donation on through the bishop in order to give anonymously and/or honor the privacy of those in need.

The remnant groups have formed tithing groups which donate to the needy and they also might be a resource for passing funds to those in need. There are several in Utah and Arizona, as well as scattered around other areas.

I just talked to a woman last night who is a single mom leaving an abusive marriage. She has been given a 4 month notice that she needs to move out of the place she's staying. She's been living there rent free and so now she will need to figure out how to make rent. Her car needs a $400 repair. If there is anyone who wants to help out, let me know.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

If I had money I know certain struggling individuals I would give it to. The more personal it is the more it blesses people's lives directly, and it inspires gratitude not entitlement.