Who would want to visit western Europe anymore?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Who would want to visit western Europe anymore?

Post by Fiannan »

And since this video came out the situation has only deteriorated. I have been to Paris. It was dirty, smelly and you had to keep your money close to you at all times. I was not unhappy to leave. I have been to cities like Caracas in the daytime - no problems. Been throughout Moscow late at night on foot. No problems. Would never do the same in Paris.

And now the leader of the French police is offering this warning:

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Head_of_ ... 8/Y/M.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We know that the USA will have a civil war in the future and that the only place that will not be a nightmare will be the Rocky Mountain region. Will Europe also have this fate?
Last edited by Fiannan on July 25th, 2016, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Who would want to visit Paris anymore?

Post by Robin Hood »

Europe can't have a civil war because it isn't a country.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

What I have noticed over the years is that almost anywhere is nice if you have a lot of money and can eat, shop, and sleep among the rich. If you are like the rest of us who don't have enough money to travel first class everywhere or stay in 5 star hotels, life is a bit more dangerous and a lot less glamorous.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

I grew up in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. My parents thought that I should take a language in HS. I decided that since French Canada was pretty close, that I would take French. I expected to learn vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure. I was surprised that I had to learn French culture, and was a bit shocked at being presented with French snobbery. One of the things I had to do was memorize the street map of Paris. I asked my teacher why I had to waste my time memorizing this map. She told me that this would be valuable when I visited Paris. I told her that I had no desire to see Paris. She couldn’t have been more shocked and horrified, if I had broken wind in her face.

Before I retired, I traveled to Europe a number of times. Sometimes I pose a question to see if people understand how things work in Europe. I state that I have several French stamps on my Passport, but as far as I’m concerned, I have never been to France. The Answer is that in Europe, unlike here in the Americas, that if you arrive in one country, even if just to change planes, you are passed through immigration, and then you can go on to any other country without ever having to check with immigration again. Charles De Gaulle air port is a hub in Europe, like O’hara, here in Chicago. I have also noted that if I had desired to schedule my trip so that I did not just change planes at Charles De Gaulle, but that I might get a 1 or 2 day layover, my company would have not complained. But then I state, “But what’s the point, there is nothing there I want to see”.

If that was my attitude before, I guess now there is even less reason to ever go to Paris. So I probably won’t.

Regards,

George Clay

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote:Europe can't have a civil war because it isn't a country.
Well, Europe has long had uncivil war over soccer so call it uncivil war if it makes you feel better.
dc

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

gclayjr wrote:I grew up in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. My parents thought that I should take a language in HS. I decided that since French Canada was pretty close, that I would take French. I expected to learn vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure. I was surprised that I had to learn French culture, and was a bit shocked at being presented with French snobbery. One of the things I had to do was memorize the street map of Paris. I asked my teacher why I had to waste my time memorizing this map. She told me that this would be valuable when I visited Paris. I told her that I had no desire to see Paris. She couldn’t have been more shocked and horrified, if I had broken wind in her face.

Before I retired, I traveled to Europe a number of times. Sometimes I pose a question to see if people understand how things work in Europe. I state that I have several French stamps on my Passport, but as far as I’m concerned, I have never been to France. The Answer is that in Europe, unlike here in the Americas, that if you arrive in one country, even if just to change planes, you are passed through immigration, and then you can go on to any other country without ever having to check with immigration again. Charles De Gaulle air port is a hub in Europe, like O’hara, here in Chicago. I have also noted that if I had desired to schedule my trip so that I did not just change planes at Charles De Gaulle, but that I might get a 1 or 2 day layover, my company would have not complained. But then I state, “But what’s the point, there is nothing there I want to see”.

If that was my attitude before, I guess now there is even less reason to ever go to Paris. So I probably won’t.

Regards,

George Clay
Montreal is as French as I want to see, it's close enough that it's no more then 3 hours to escape it and go home.
Europe is an utter mess and I have no desire to go anywhere near any of it.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I have not been to Europe and have no intention of doing so. Go to Japan, things there are cheaper than you might think, the service is the best in the world, the people are reserved but friendly and helpful, the food is great, and it is probably the safest destination in the developed world. Besides if you happen to live in Australia or New Zealand there is no jet-lag!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gclayjr wrote:I grew up in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. My parents thought that I should take a language in HS. I decided that since French Canada was pretty close, that I would take French. I expected to learn vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure. I was surprised that I had to learn French culture, and was a bit shocked at being presented with French snobbery. One of the things I had to do was memorize the street map of Paris. I asked my teacher why I had to waste my time memorizing this map. She told me that this would be valuable when I visited Paris. I told her that I had no desire to see Paris. She couldn’t have been more shocked and horrified, if I had broken wind in her face.

Regards,

George Clay
This isn't entirely accurate George.
If, after landing in France, you had then flown on to the UK you would certainly have needed your passport. Only the so-called Schengen Agreement countries operate the system you describe. A number of countries are involved (3 are not in the EU), but some are not. So it depends on where you're headed.
The Schengen Agreement was suspended last year in order to cope with the migrant crisis, so if you went now it would be different.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Sirocco,
Montreal is as French as I want to see, it's close enough that it's no more then 3 hours to escape it and go home.
Amen, although I only got to go to Montreal 1 time that wasn't in the dead of winter. Business trips are when the business needs it, not when it is pleasant. I do agree that Montreal in May was very nice.

Robin Hood,
If, after landing in France, you had then flown on to the UK you would certainly have needed your passport. Only the so-called Schengen Agreement countries operate the system you describe. A number of countries are involved (3 are not in the EU), but some are not. So it depends on where you're headed.
The Schengen Agreement was suspended last year in order to cope with the migrant crisis, so if you went now it would be different.
Thank you. I always enjoy getting a more complete picture. However, your correction has revealed another secret of mine. I have never been to Great Britain, although I would rather go there than France. I would especially be interested in sights related to the history of Steam Engines. Let's hear it for James Watt!

Regards,

George Clay

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gclayjr wrote:Sirocco,
Amen, although I only got to go to Montreal 1 time that wasn't in the dead of winter. Business trips are when the business needs it, not when it is pleasant. I do agree that Montreal in May was very nice.

Robin Hood,
Thank you. I always enjoy getting a more complete picture. However, your correction has revealed another secret of mine. I have never been to Great Britain, although I would rather go there than France. I would especially be interested in sights related to the history of Steam Engines. Let's hear it for James Watt!

Regards,

George Clay

Let me know when you're coming and you can stay with us.
The National Railway Museum is 40 minutes away.
I saw the Flying Scotsman the other day!

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Robin Hood,

Thank you for your offer. If I ever go out your way, I'll take you up on it. However, I have been retired for almost 2 years, so I'll have to pay for it myself. So may not happen soon.

Regards,

George Clay

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I really liked the Highlander movie and the Highlander TV Series even more. I remember one of the lines from an episode, where Adam (Methos) was talking about places he'd visited, and it's stuck with me ever since. It sums up my thoughts about Paris:
Paris is too full of Parisians. Even the French don't like Paris.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gclayjr wrote:Robin Hood,

Thank you for your offer. If I ever go out your way, I'll take you up on it. However, I have been retired for almost 2 years, so I'll have to pay for it myself. So may not happen soon.

Regards,

George Clay
It's probably now or never George.
Sterling is at a very favourable rate for you following Brexit.
More £'s for your $'s.

Also, the sun is shining right now ;)

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I have heard that Britain has some nice scenery. Of course if you want to meet up with British people London might not be the place to go.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Fiannan wrote:I have heard that Britain has some nice scenery. Of course if you want to meet up with British people London might not be the place to go.

Of course it isn't!
Americans often make the mistake of thinking they've seen England because they went to London.
London is unique. It has it's attractions. But it is nothing like the rest of the country.
Presumably Washington DC is not representative of America either.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

gclayjr wrote:Sirocco,

Robin Hood,

Regards,

George Clay
Ahh the steam engine conspiracy....

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I have been fortunate to have spent ten years of my life travelling, and have explored everywhere in the world I wanted to. Everywhere was beautiful in its own way, Australia is best though.
Just a few short years and the world today is obviously no longer as it was.
Robin Hood wrote:
Fiannan wrote:I have heard that Britain has some nice scenery. Of course if you want to meet up with British people London might not be the place to go.
Of course it isn't!
Americans often make the mistake of thinking they've seen England because they went to London.
London is unique. It has it's attractions. But it is nothing like the rest of the country.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Robin Hood wrote:

Of course it isn't!
Are you saying the people in Washington DC are not American in some sort of way?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:

Of course it isn't!
Are you saying the people in Washington DC are not American in some sort of way?
I guess it depends on which people.Those who live there or those who are sent there.
According to some (!) they're nearly all reptilian shapeshifters.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

According to some (!) they're nearly all reptilian shapeshifters.
Hahaha - you know, I have always had a thing for lizards. ;)

You know, the worse you generally had to worry about in Paris used to be trying to find a place to eat that had no smoking. Now you have violence and terrorism. The press tried to keep what the terrorists did at that rock concert last year hushed up. Now we get reports that these jihadists went after the wounded victims and raped the women with knives, gouged their eyes out and castrated the men. I have studied serial killers quite a bit and many do not actually torture before killing a victim. Psychopaths don't get the thrill of such acts - murderers who are high in empathy do. So I doubt these guys trying to be close to Allah were psychopaths, rather they were just brainwashed killers who justified their getting off on pain and fear by thinking they were doing God's will in teaching the infidels and heathen a lesson. These people were similar to those guys who tortured young women hundreds of years ago that were accused of being witches. Psychopaths tend to gravitate to the top of religions, but often their low-ranking enforcers are just proto-psychopaths with repressed sexual issues.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Well, seems Germany is also having problems. Not sure the motive for this savage attack yet:

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-axe-at ... -reported/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Fiannan wrote:Well, seems Germany is also having problems. Not sure the motive for this savage attack yet:

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-axe-at ... -reported/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Islam, ISIS, etc

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Not sure what was going through his mind as he was hacking people with an ax and yelling, "Allah Akbar."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... an-8445784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have any insights?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Fiannan wrote:Not sure what was going through his mind as he was hacking people with an ax and yelling, "Allah Akbar."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... an-8445784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have any insights?
I'm stumped.
70 virgins maybe?