Outer darkness forever?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Outer darkness forever?

Post by Obrien »

Will the Creator (of the forum) keep those banished to Outer Darkness there forever, or will he show mercy and forgiveness to those poor souls, once they have paid the price for their various forum transgressions?

Having been banished before makes me sensitive to these people's plight. They need a voice on the general discussion area to advocate for their release from forum prison.
Last edited by Obrien on July 6th, 2016, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Outer darkness forever?

Post by shadow »

If Obrien is pleading for their release then that means they should still be locked away Indefinitely ;)

When I was banned it was for over a year and that was before there was an outer darkness. Back in the day if you were banned it meant you no longer existed. Ah, the good ole days.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I'm not pleading for anyone in particular - just a gentle reminder of the plight of these lost souls.

How did you like being banned? How does the golden rule apply to banning and shunning?

PS - I have heard from several people that the time of your banishment was indeed "the good old days". I tend to disagree - it takes all kinds to make a forum go around. You can be the shadow, I'll represent light :)
Last edited by Obrien on July 2nd, 2016, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

I feel sorry that there is a need for those whom profess to love the Lord, to be banned. It harms both parties! The people who looses a place to voice their feelings on faith, and the banner who being an imperfect being must judge the intent and hearts of others. Yes, there are people who come here wanting to just sow discord because of a love for contention. That is something most people would want to resist and withdraw from. And yes it is clear in such situations, who should be compelled to withdraw, over the need for peace. It still is quite sad!

Shalom

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Maybe the banning will have an unintended consequence of making OD getting more traffic? Maybe like a spin-off like Mamma's Family to the Carroll Brunette show.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I'm all for showing charity and forgiveness.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Obrien wrote:I'm not pleading for anyone in particular - just a gentle reminder of the plight of these lost souls.

How did you like being banned? How does the golden rule apply to banning and shunning?

PS - I have heard from several people that the time of your banishment was indeed "the good old days". I tend to disagree - it takes all kinds to make a forum go around. You can be the shadow, I'll represent light :)
My banning was obviously unjustified and occurred back in the day when the site boss was a Snufferite and his posse cohorts were hardcore Snuffers. The site was ruled and reigned by anti LDS zombies. I didn't survive and yet I'm here to tell the tales.

Thanks for allowing me to bask in your light. I'll let some of that light sneak past me and warm the souls of all those behind me. I wouldn't want to hog all of your brightness ^:)^

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

shadow wrote:If Obrien is pleading for their release then that means they should still be locked away Indefinitely ;)

When I was banned it was for over a year and that was before there was an outer darkness. Back in the day if you were banned it meant you no longer existed. Ah, the good ole days.
:)) And throw away the key.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

There have been others released from Out Darkness. It starts by asking..

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

shadow wrote:My banning was obviously unjustified and occurred back in the day when the site boss was a Snufferite and his posse cohorts were hardcore Snuffers. The site was ruled and reigned by anti LDS zombies. I didn't survive and yet I'm here to tell the tales.
That's not exactly how it was but you are allowed your opinion and perspective. There were definitely some differences back then but I was never a Snufferite.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

BrianM wrote:There have been others released from Out Darkness. It starts by asking..
Tru dat. :)

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

I will show mercy and send you outter darkness people some games and treats, how's that?

Happy 4th of July to all of you!

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

BrianM wrote:
shadow wrote:My banning was obviously unjustified and occurred back in the day when the site boss was a Snufferite and his posse cohorts were hardcore Snuffers. The site was ruled and reigned by anti LDS zombies. I didn't survive and yet I'm here to tell the tales.
That's not exactly how it was but you are allowed your opinion and perspective. There were definitely some differences back then but I was never a Snufferite.
I vaguely remember that, and you are correct Brian, he insinuated that you were a snufferite.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

I don't understand why LDS forum members choose to act like tattletales and report so many insignificant matters. I know the U.S. is encouraging neighbors to spy and complain about each other- programs like "if you see something, say something" and other agencies that will take anonymous phone calls and then go after the accused.

I much prefer a neighbor or forum member getting in touch with me directly and discussing the issue like a mature adult. Or at the very least make it so that there is no anonymous reporting- if you've got a complaint and you want a moderator to get involved, then let the accused know your name.
I think if people were accountable for the posts they reported, there'd be a lot less complaining to a moderator and more adult- like resolutions.
The only need I can see to report things to a moderator is if someone is threatening to harm you.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

butterfly wrote:I don't understand why LDS forum members choose to act like tattletales and report so many insignificant matters. I know the U.S. is encouraging neighbors to spy and complain about each other- programs like "if you see something, say something" and other agencies that will take anonymous phone calls and then go after the accused.

I much prefer a neighbor or forum member getting in touch with me directly and discussing the issue like a mature adult. Or at the very least make it so that there is no anonymous reporting- if you've got a complaint and you want a moderator to get involved, then let the accused know your name.
I think if people were accountable for the posts they reported, there'd be a lot less complaining to a moderator and more adult- like resolutions.
The only need I can see to report things to a moderator is if someone is threatening to harm you.
It's all a joke butterfly, one of the things I like the most about it forum is the humor. Shadow knows what I was doing, lighten up!

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

kennyhs wrote:
butterfly wrote:I don't understand why LDS forum members choose to act like tattletales and report so many insignificant matters. I know the U.S. is encouraging neighbors to spy and complain about each other- programs like "if you see something, say something" and other agencies that will take anonymous phone calls and then go after the accused.

It's all a joke butterfly, one of the things I like the most about it forum is the humor. Shadow knows what I was doing, lighten up!
I'm not talking about you joking around with shadow or anyone else :) of course humor is great!
I'm referring to people reporting to a moderator that they disagree with someone's viewpoint. It seems like there is a real fear of someone having a different perspective.

In order to build Zion, one aspect is that we allow others to believe according to the dictates of their own conscience. Some people feel that anonymously reporting a difference in belief and thereby getting another person's posts deleted and them sent to outer darkness is the appropriate way to resolve an issue.

But silencing those who think differently than you actually hurts everyone. I believe I can learn something from everyone on this forum, so I would not resort to banning them or their posts. If I can't handle what they say, then the problem rests with me.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

STCMC...

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

butterfly wrote:
kennyhs wrote:

I'm not talking about you joking around with shadow or anyone else :) of course humor is great!
I'm referring to people reporting to a moderator that they disagree with someone's viewpoint. It seems like there is a real fear of someone having a different perspective.

In order to build Zion, one aspect is that we allow others to believe according to the dictates of their own conscience. Some people feel that anonymously reporting a difference in belief and thereby getting another person's posts deleted and them sent to outer darkness is the appropriate way to resolve an issue.

But silencing those who think differently than you actually hurts everyone. I believe I can learn something from everyone on this forum, so I would not resort to banning them or their posts. If I can't handle what they say, then the problem rests with me.
I agree, but the forum has rules, they should have known that coming in, and then measure up. When people start posting Mr. Rogers flipping the bird, ( still makes me laugh) and even though they are not having a good day in the neighborhood, they are breaking the rules. Its rude and unnecessary. Sorry if I took you wrong, my apologies.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

BrianM wrote:
Oh, uh, Brian, hi. I didn't know you were still hanging around #-o

So since you're reading this thread I'll have to fess up and completely admit that I broke the rules multiple times. Although it was nothing different than what a few of the moderators were doing to me and other so called TBM's. That was the frustrating part. The site cops were above the law, flagrantly. But you've been kind in allowing me back and I try to watch myself more carefully. Lesson learned....usually :ymcowboy:

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Well, I think this calls for a Brigham Young moment....

"...Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father’s heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children..."

I would say that there is still hope for those in outer darkness.

Yes, there is even hope for that black sheep, brotherofmahonri ;)

janderich
captain of 100

Post by janderich »

Obrien wrote:Will the Creator (of the forum) keep those banished to Outer Darkness there forever, it will he show mercy and forgiveness to those poor souls, once they have paid the price for their various forum transgressions?

Having been banished before makes me sensitive to these people's plight. They need a voice on the general discussion area to advocate for their release from forum prison.
Just as it is with the Lord, it is not about paying a price but about changing. When a person has changed they are freed from their own prison. Now, since we don't know a persons heart like the Lord does, I would advocate some limited probationary period which would allow them to return, but if they break form rules they would again be banished.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

janderich wrote:
Obrien wrote:Will the Creator (of the forum) keep those banished to Outer Darkness there forever, it will he show mercy and forgiveness to those poor souls, once they have paid the price for their various forum transgressions?

Just as it is with the Lord, it is not about paying a price but about changing. When a person has changed they are freed from their own prison. Now, since we don't know a persons heart like the Lord does, I would advocate some limited probationary period which would allow them to return, but if they break form rules they would again be banished.
Check out DC 19 and tell me that hell is not about paying a price.
Please return and report.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

shadow wrote:Thanks for allowing me to bask in your light. I'll let some of that light sneak past me and warm the souls of all those behind me. I wouldn't want to hog all of your brightness ^:)^
:)) :))

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Rachael wrote:STCMC...
What does this mean in English? #-o

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

butterfly wrote: