Flat Earth

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Flat Earth

Post by A Random Phrase »

It could be.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Ungläubige wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:How about the earth doesn't spin?

"200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball Videobook"

How about the sun is thousands of miles away (not millions)?
I didn't make it thru the whole video - but there were some glaring flaws in just the first several several arguments? Were you convinced? and if so, which arguments did you find most compelling?
I watched some of the other one (Lie). There were lots of things: satellites, vacuums in space and rockets, nothing past LEO, etc.

a_member
captain of 100

Post by a_member »

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

A few days ago, I saw a bright full moon right above the mountains.

On the other side of me (and the world), still behind the mountains, the sun was about to come up.

Huh? If the moon only reflects the sun's light, how did this happen? The sun wasn't up, meaning the earth was between the sun and the moon.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

JohnnyL wrote:A few days ago, I saw a bright full moon right above the mountains.

On the other side of me (and the world), still behind the mountains, the sun was about to come up.

Huh? If the moon only reflects the sun's light, how did this happen? The sun wasn't up, meaning the earth was between the sun and the moon.
What you just said is false, the earth was not between the sun and the moon. If so, you would not have seen the moon either. From where you were the sun was not up, but from where the moon was the sun was up. Does someone need to post another diagram to show you the geometric of this?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

JohnnyL wrote:A few days ago, I saw a bright full moon right above the mountains.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

LDScop wrote:

What you just said is false, the earth was not between the sun and the moon. If so, you would not have seen the moon either. From where you were the sun was not up, but from where the moon was the sun was up. Does someone need to post another diagram to show you the geometric of this?
The sun was still far under the mountains, moon was very near top of mountains.
Which brings up another point. If the sun is below the mountains, and the sun rays are straight, why can I see light?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

JohnnyL wrote:
LDScop wrote:

The sun was still far under the mountains, moon was very near top of mountains.
Which brings up another point. If the sun is below the mountains, and the sun rays are straight, why can I see light?
Think about what you're saying. By your line of reasoning, how can you ever see the moon's light at any time during the night? And light can and does bend. It doesn't apply in your situation here, but yeah. If you want I can draw you a diagram of how the moon can have the sun shining on it and you are able to see that while not actually having the sun shine on you. I'm sure you could also find a diagram online.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Just curious as to why a deception would be perpetrated , why the expense, the reason? What am I missing...is there a great prize going to NASA or any other organization that can keep us in the dark ... would we all go running , pulling our hair out leaping of the edge.. Maybe some would not me, I'd get up and have breakfast tomorrow just like today.. of course that's just me...

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Older/wiser? wrote:Just curious as to why a deception would be perpetrated , why the expense, the reason? What am I missing...is there a great prize going to NASA or any other organization that can keep us in the dark ... would we all go running , pulling our hair out leaping of the edge.. Maybe some would not me, I'd get up and have breakfast tomorrow just like today.. of course that's just me...
NASA--how about billions of dollars that can then be used for other purposes?

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Older/wiser? wrote:Just curious as to why a deception would be perpetrated , why the expense, the reason? What am I missing...is there a great prize going to NASA or any other organization that can keep us in the dark ... would we all go running , pulling our hair out leaping of the edge.. Maybe some would not me, I'd get up and have breakfast tomorrow just like today.. of course that's just me...
I agree, it's baffling. Most of the time with conspiracy theories I get the draw. It's more comforting to think that there are forces in control, pulling the strings, even if the forces are sinister. Even an evil plan is preferable to chaos and random chance.

But what is comforting about a flat earth? Or rather, what is threatening about a spherical earth? Is it the implication that if our planet is just a planet like so many other billions of planets, all orbiting stars like our own sun, then we're not so special?

I guess I can see that. The flat earth theory demands that we are unique. It demands that earth is the center of the universe, created specifically for us, and that everything else is as insignificant as it appears from our perspective. Maybe that's what it offers, the comforting thought that our perspective is the truth. The earth looks flat because it's flat. The sun looks like it moves from east to west because it does. We wouldn't have to confront the discomforting idea that the world might be different than we perceive it.
Last edited by captainfearnot on March 3rd, 2016, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Flat earth sounds nice. No hills to climb. Better fuel mileage .

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I would say that you were in the shadow of the earth, but the moon was not.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Ezra wrote:Flat earth sounds nice. No hills to climb. Better fuel mileage .
:))

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Has anybody ever thought of the symbolism of the sun and the moon D&C 5 verse 14 where the the Lord say ,the beginning of the rising up and the coming forth of my church out of the wilderness clear as the moon and fair as the sun . Think about it if the sun symbolizes Jesus Christ ware in all power lies. The Moon reflects the light of the sun . And in the creation story rules over the night , which is where we all abide. Just saying symbolism is pretty interesting .

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

It's too weird. The moon should be in the shadow of the earth, yet it's brilliantly bright.
"Light bends", they say.
At night, I see a full moon, yet there is no sunlight whatsoever. Not even bent light.
How does that work again?
I imagine that light that passes through the earth's atmosphere is bent, not because of gravity as the church of science preaches.
I found some fun stuff about the moon I'll put up...

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

captainfearnot wrote:
I agree, it's baffling. Most of the time with conspiracy theories I get the draw. It's more comforting to think that there are forces in control, pulling the strings, even if the forces are sinister. Even an evil plan is preferable to chaos and random chance.

But what is comforting about a flat earth? Or rather, what is threatening about a spherical earth? Is it the implication that if our planet is just a planet like so many other billions of planets, all orbiting stars like our own sun, then we're not so special?

I guess I can see that. The flat earth theory demands that we are unique. It demands that earth is the center of the universe, created specifically for us, and that everything else is as insignificant as it appears from our perspective. Maybe that's what it offers, the comforting thought that our perspective is the truth. The earth looks flat because it's flat. The sun looks like it moves from east to west because it does. We wouldn't have to confront the discomforting idea that the world might be different than we perceive it.

People fear the idea of not being special because it forces one to confront the fact one day they will die, and if we're not special then the afterlife might not exist.
That you could die and that's it. No other animal really has the knowledge of death like we do.
One day I will die.
There will be no more me, everything I was, will be gone in a flash, and then I will be a name and a corpse...
So many things threaten our idea that we are so special, when we ourselves are just barely out of animal status.
The idea too we could be the random accident of nature or the unknown makings of some higher race, that don't care about us or reward us when we die...
I'll leave you with this;

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I think it has been proven that light bends. I don't know if it would be a factor, but light can also be split with a prism, showing a rainbow of colors, then brought back together with another prism.

I look forward to your post about the moon.
JohnnyL wrote:It's too weird. The moon should be in the shadow of the earth, yet it's brilliantly bright.
"Light bends", they say.
At night, I see a full moon, yet there is no sunlight whatsoever. Not even bent light.
How does that work again?
I imagine that light that passes through the earth's atmosphere is bent, not because of gravity as the church of science preaches.
I found some fun stuff about the moon I'll put up...

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Good thoughts, Sirocco, except what if only the body dies? What if our spirit (the thing inside of us that makes us us) still lives? What will you think, then, I wonder?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Flat earth laser experiment video, fake NASA photos video (til 4:23) (with words in the "natural" photos)...

http://www.keelynet.com/news/071216t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JohnnyL on July 15th, 2016, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

A Random Phrase wrote:Good thoughts, Sirocco, except what if only the body dies? What if our spirit (the thing inside of us that makes us us) still lives? What will you think, then, I wonder?
My whole point was that I don't believe in a spirit, not in the sense you think, when I die what makes me-me is dead, my brain is dead.
I always thought the idea of a spirit, an afterlife, all that, is just something to offer someone to be a part of a faith, to follow the rules, to have something to look forwards to and feel special about.
I believe in a creator in some capacity, I don't pretend to have any answers, just my beliefs. The BoM to me is a book of things here to offer me wisdom, to offer me positive things should I need to turn to it.
Church, to me, was to be beneficial to me, in the I attend to be uplifted not shamed or told this or that I am doing wrong.
I guess I am selfish when it comes to religion.
But life is depressing enough without waking up early and being told I sucked, I mean I got up to go there and don't need that, I mean I wanted to be uplifted and taken away from my occasionally sub par life lol.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

You definitely have to follow your own path. No one can walk it but you.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JohnnyL wrote:Flat earth laser experiment video, fake NASA photos video (til 4:23) (with words in the "natural" photos)...

http://www.keelynet.com/news/071216t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's no doubt things are not as they are supposed to be.
I live on the coast and recently watched a ship disappear below the horizon. Then I got out my binoculars and scanned the horizon and hey presto, the ship was visible again.
This doesn't fit with the sperical earth.

I'm not saying the earth is flat. What I am saying is there is some strange stuff going on and all is not as it seems.

pattiposa
Hi, I'm new.

Post by pattiposa »

I want to thank you Curtis99 for having the courage to ask the question you did. I too was introduced to this subject and have spent a lot of time searching scriptures and analyzing the evidence that has been put forward which includes source works from the disciplines of geometry, astronomy, history, documentaries, and scriptures, etc. I find many of the arguments compelling even though my own father worked on the apollo 11 moon mission when I was a young girl.

I am saddened that so many in the LDS community are so close minded and guarded. Are we not to be truth seekers? When did follow dogma because it's been preached for a long time become our mantra?

And as far as the integrity of the current scientific community is concerned, yes there are some honest truth seekers in this arena, but they are not the power brokers. Nope, the norm is for anyone with new ideas to be squashed like a bug if they are preaching anything contrary to current accepted truths.

Meanwhile we are being over vaccinated, poisoned with GMO's, pesticides, plastic residues, toxic cleaning chemicals, deodorants with heavy metals, make up with heavy metals, artificial colors. We have nitrites in our meats, hydrogenated fats in our baked goods and msg in our soups . We have been told to consume such foreign fats as soy and canola oil - - things that never entered the human body until the last 40 years -- while discarding fats like butter that has been part of the human diet for millennia. We are spraying all our cereal and legume crops with round up 2 weeks before harvesting, a very toxic chemical that can't be washed off because the plant actually drinks it in through it's roots and incorporated it into it's structure. The incidences of diabetes, Autism, ADHD in children and adults, dementia, heart disease, obesity, depression, Crohn's disease, IBS and host of other conditions have sky rocketed and yet we look to the very scientists that caused this to fix it.

Wake up!!!

The earth just might be flat with a protective dome (firmament) spread over it. Can't we at least discuss it without ridicule. You are the very type of people that would have burned me at the stake as a witch.

Isaiah 40
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Does this not describe a flat earth with a dome over it like a tent. Maybe, maybe not but can't we honestly discuss it. Come on!

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

pattiposa wrote: Nope, the norm is for anyone with new ideas to be squashed like a bug if they are preaching anything contrary to current accepted truths.
It is funny that you are talking about new ideas in this thread, since Flat Earth is not a new idea. It is an old discarded idea. When Pythagoreans proposed approximately 400 BC that Earth is spherical, they were the brave ones with new ideas. At that time, the idea must have seemed ridiculous to most people.