Boy Scouts panel approves allowing gay adults to serve as leaders

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Bgood
captain of 1,000

Boy Scouts panel approves allowing gay adults to serve as leaders

Post by Bgood »

What the Hell is going happen next?????????

Posted July 13, 2015, at 6:38 p.m. DALLAS, Texas — The Boy Scouts of America Executive Committee unanimously approved allowing gay adults to serve as leaders, a major step toward dismantling a policy that has caused deep rifts in the 105-year-old organization, officials said on Monday.
Last edited by Bgood on July 13th, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Boy Scouts panel approves allowing gay adults to serve as leaders

Post by Elizabeth »

:( :(

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

President Monson is a member of the Boy Scouts of America executive committee which also includes the General Young Men's president and the General Primary president as well as a number of other LDS members.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

The church can still decide who ITS Scout leaders are:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/boy- ... y-32423347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...In a memo sent Monday to local Scout officials nationwide, the BSA's top leaders said they had consulted their religious partners before acting on the resolution, and they pledged to defend the right of any church-sponsored units to continue excluding gay adults from leadership posts.

The BSA "rejects any interference with or condemnation of the diverse beliefs of chartering organizations on matters of marriage, family, and sexuality," the memo said.

The Mormon church, in a statement, indicated that this stance was crucial to its continued role as a leading sponsor of Boy Scout units.

"As a chartering organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has always had the right to select Scout leaders who adhere to moral and religious principles that are consistent with our doctrines and beliefs," the church said. "Any resolution adopted by the Boy Scouts of America regarding leadership in Scouting must continue to affirm that right."

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Are their votes a deciding number?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Why does the Church need the Boy Scouts? I agree the program of the boy scouts turns boys into men, and there is purpose in that. However... just do a program like the young women do, all on their own.

Where is this going? When President Monson passes (he's a BIG advocate for the Boy Scouts)... you will see the Church pull its support. Watch it.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Elizabeth wrote:Are their votes a deciding number?
No, none of the groups have a deciding number of members on the committee. Largest groups are LDS, Catholics and United Methodists but many other faiths and groups that sponsor scouts such as the VFW, American Legion and the AFL-CIO and Teamsters also have members on the executive. In this case however the vote was unanimous so the numbers of the various groups did not really matter.

In any even every scout group selects its own leaders using it's own standard so it really isn't much of an issue.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

This is going to a softening of "policy" and eventual acceptance of homosexuality as a valid lifestyle among the LDS. It is sad, but look how quickly it is happening. I think I must send my Eagle Scout award back to the scouts. :(

On the bright side, they can continue to roll with the BSA as their initials ... Boy Sodomites of America :(

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

And if you don't believe the Church will be softening their stance on gays and gay marriage, read this conversation that was published in BYU's campus newspaper. Btw, it's gone down the memory hole, but not before being published on this blog. The comments also show the thoughts of a segment of members.

http://www.wheatandtares.org/17864/a-re ... st-sunday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

From all reports not everyone at BYU are LDS members.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Elizabeth wrote:From all reports not everyone at BYU are LDS members.
There you go...deny, deny, deny. Are you SERIOUS? Technically, you're correct of course, but it is a staggeringly high percentage of the students. According to the google, 98.5% of the student body is LDS.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Read the discussion. The gay man teaches Elders Quorum in his Salt Lake ward, and graduated from BYU. The others in the discussion are obviously Mormons.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Perhaps Public Affairs need to read this site.
Last edited by Elizabeth on July 13th, 2015, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I mean the EQ teacher who says the policy in the letter (the one read in Sac Mtgs the past two weeks) is WRONG, and fully expects that gay marriage will be accepted in the church, and he will be able to experience the kind of romantic love that God created him to experience.

I do NOT agree with him, I agree with the letter written by our leaders, I'm just saying that more and more members, in good standing, believe the leaders are behind the times, and that God will have them change things as soon as more people become enlightened. I'm with you on this issue, Elizabeth, in that I believe that this sin of homosexuality is capable of destroying anything that embraces it -- the nation, or the Church. I sincerely hope the church does not cave on their stance. However, members who believe differently already think that important concessions have been made.

Elizabeth wrote:Do you mean the Elders Quorum teacher has same sex attraction orientation, which he controls, and who is living a celibate lifestyle?
Lizzy60 wrote:Read the discussion. The gay man teaches Elders Quorum in his Salt Lake ward, and graduated from BYU. The others in the discussion are obviously Mormons.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

+1
Lizzy60 wrote:I mean the EQ teacher who says the policy in the letter (the one read in Sac Mtgs the past two weeks) is WRONG, and fully expects that gay marriage will be accepted in the church, and he will be able to experience the kind of romantic love that God created him to experience.

I do NOT agree with him, I agree with the letter written by our leaders, I'm just saying that more and more members, in good standing, believe the leaders are behind the times, and that God will have them change things as soon as more people become enlightened. I'm with you on this issue, Elizabeth, in that I believe that this sin of homosexuality is capable of destroying anything that embraces it -- the nation, or the Church. I sincerely hope the church does not cave on their stance. However, members who believe differently already think that important concessions have been made.

Elizabeth wrote:Do you mean the Elders Quorum teacher has same sex attraction orientation, which he controls, and who is living a celibate lifestyle?
Lizzy60 wrote:Read the discussion. The gay man teaches Elders Quorum in his Salt Lake ward, and graduated from BYU. The others in the discussion are obviously Mormons.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

The letter they read in church states that Gay marriages are not allowed to be preformed in the churches. Mormon Bishops are not allowed to preform the marriages.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

If I were el presidente I'd be releasing this person as EQ teacher asap.

His belief and faith and the apparent answers to his prayers are that gay marriage is a-ok with God. We sure see a lot of deceived people, people who are on the wrong side of the Lord and His Prophets, yet claim to be God inspired.
Once they die, old Bob with his healed feet will set them straight, pun intended.

I worry for this nation, starting in Utah, with regard to the disregard of Gods Laws. I have card carrying family members who support gay marriage and who criticize the Prophet and the church for its stance. I agree with Lizzy that BYU is probably full of gay marriage supporters just like every other college in the nation. BYU is no different than the rest IMO. That's why I cheer USU! The younger generation has embraced what the older generation rejected. A sure sign of the times.

The ward heretic
captain of 100

Post by The ward heretic »

Bgood wrote:What the Hell is going happen next?????????

Posted July 13, 2015, at 6:38 p.m. DALLAS, Texas — The Boy Scouts of America Executive Committee unanimously approved allowing gay adults to serve as leaders, a major step toward dismantling a policy that has caused deep rifts in the 105-year-old organization, officials said on Monday.
Hey, on the bright side, arts and crafts, skits, and basket weaving are going to get a hell of a lot better!

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

The ward heretic wrote:

Hey, on the bright side, arts and crafts, skits, and basket weaving are going to get a hell of a lot better!
Okay, that is funny.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

most of my arts and crafts involved bones

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Obrien wrote:This is going to a softening of "policy" and eventual acceptance of homosexuality as a valid lifestyle among the LDS. It is sad, but look how quickly it is happening. I think I must send my Eagle Scout award back to the scouts. :(

On the bright side, they can continue to roll with the BSA as their initials ... Boy Sodomites of America :(
My boys said the exact same thing when they read the news. They've lost all respect for the organization, as have I. Just read a few articles on the Girl Scouts - they now allow boys in their groups, but the boys have to "act" like girls (no, really; that's what they said). /:)

The Church may get away with denying adult gay leaders in their groups for awhile - until it becomes a "hate crime" to do so (don't think for a second they're stopping with marriage. The "hate crime" laws will also by applied to Bishops who refuse to marry same-sex couples, IMO) - but by then, who knows what will be going on, in the nation - and in the Church. :-s

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Tabula Rasa wrote:
Obrien wrote:This is going to a softening of "policy" and eventual acceptance of homosexuality as a valid lifestyle among the LDS. It is sad, but look how quickly it is happening. I think I must send my Eagle Scout award back to the scouts. :(

My boys said the exact same thing when they read the news. They've lost all respect for the organization, as have I. Just read a few articles on the Girl Scouts - they now allow boys in their groups, but the boys have to "act" like girls (no, really; that's what they said). /:)

The Church may get away with denying adult gay leaders in their groups for awhile - until it becomes a "hate crime" to do so (don't think for a second they're stopping with marriage. The "hate crime" laws will also by applied to Bishops who refuse to marry same-sex couples, IMO) - but by then, who knows what will be going on, in the nation - and in the Church. :-s
I don't see that happening, I mean it's not happened in other, more liberal countries. Why would it happen in the US?

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Lizzy60 wrote: I believe that this sin of homosexuality is capable of destroying anything that embraces it -- the nation, or the Church.
Out of curiosity, what makes you (and many others) believe that? I must have missed something.

I can't wrap my head around how it could possibly destroy an entire nation, especially if not everybody in the nation participates in homosexuality. (Men are punished for their own sins, God would have saved Sodom for the sake of 5 righteous people, not everybody was born/or wants to be gay, etc..)

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

The ward heretic wrote:

In my ward, and every ward I have ever been to, Boy Scouts pretty much compares with Relief Society. (Complete with several fancy dinners and elaborate center pieces.)

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Oh come on, what good is learning to set up a tent when you can all sit and watch one of those shows where women choose wedding dresses or maybe guys can learn what methods are best for body hair removal - not to mention how to choose the best moisturizers? :D