The Role of The LDS Church in Utah's Politics

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Role of The LDS Church in Utah's Politics

Post by Joel »

Lawmakers OK LDS church's top lobbyist to run Legislature office

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) A panel of Utah lawmakers is recommending the Mormon church's top lobbyist take a new job overseeing the Legislature's office that drafts laws, gives legal advice and staffs committees.

A bipartisan group of a dozen lawmakers unanimously approved John Q. Cannon to take over the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel in September.

The appointment illustrates what's sometimes seen as a thin line between Utah's government and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a faith to which most lawmakers and a majority of Utah residents belong.

Cannon's appointment is subject to approval from the full Legislature early next year.

Lawmakers say they picked John Q. Cannon to take over the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel because he spent two decades working there before leaving to work for the church in 2012. He says he'll answer to and be completely loyal to the Legislature and the people they represent.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

You know I had to comment on this post. The writer clearly has anti-Mormon themes. His other posts have had the same. Other posters in this thread, some of them do too. I want to tell you that there are people that lie and manipulate people to try to believe this stuff. This type of post is meant to sow distrust. This post and all throughout each page segment ( 5 pages up so far ), I've found full of many lies. I encourage people to try to 'build people up' in other ways. It won't do any good to listen to this kind of talk.

Maybe you can look for something positive to do together instead like some service projects? If this guy who put up the post, really has good intentions let him show it with some service project together without any doctrine fault finding or other bashing.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Gardener4life, would you mind identifying the many lies you have found.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

jwharton wrote: March 27th, 2015, 5:54 pm
Obrien wrote:
jwharton wrote:
Obrien wrote:If you're sitting on millions of oz of Au and Ag, pm me...we should team up and extract some of it. :D
It is currently leased out to a mining company and I am receiving royalties. It will be a LONG time before they mine it all out.
So, I'm semi-retired. That's how I have so much time on my hands to do things like talk to people about Zion on the internet.
Sweet...can I be jealous?
ETA - I read that after I posted it and it could be misconstrued. I am actually happy for you and I am jealous. I wish I had your kind of problems.
A word of advice - take some of the royalty in metals :)
No need to be jealous.
I am very small potatoes in the mining realm.
The royalties cover very basic needs of my family only.
The greatest value is that it gives me my time to myself.
And, to think, I'm spending it here.... Hmmmmm....
To be able to have a living, even a very basic one, without needing to work is something that the vase majority of people would find enviable. :)

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

3 Questions with Bob Evans: Former State Senator Steve Urquhart talks LDS Church lobbying tactics

SALT LAKE CITY -- He served in the Utah legislature for 16 years and stepped down last year to become the global ambassador for the University of Utah.

But in his years on Utah’s Capitol Hill, State Senator Steve Urquhart found himself at odds with the way the church he belongs to deals with lawmakers.

Urquhart sat down for 3 Questions with Bob Evans:

1.You recently posted two posts on Facebook, talking about the LDS Church and its tactics in lobbying the Utah legislature. And you complain that they don’t ‘come in the front door’ like all the other lobbyists: What exactly do you mean by that?

2.When you say that the LDS Church is whispering in the ears of the leadership of the legislature, can you be specific? I mean, are they really pulling them aside and saying, ‘Hey, listen. This is what we really want to do.’ And have you seen that happen up there?

3.Section Four of the Utah Constitution declares in part that: “there shall be no union of Church or State, nor shall any church dominate the State or interfere with its functions.” Is that section of the Utah Constitution being adequately observed, and, if not: who is at fault?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Statement made by Utah Senator Madsen on the subject of SB296. Madsen observes that the church is endorsing a senate bill which would make discrimination illegal for businesses in Utah, while giving the church itself an exemption from those requirements. In the close of his comments he pulls back the curtain behind Utah politics by stating that even though he is against the bill, because the church supports it - he is compelled to support the bill.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The church endorsing a senate bill which would make discrimination illegal for businesses in Utah strikes me as supporting government infringement on the right to control one's private property. This is not new per my observations. I'm glad that Senator revealed that the Church prevailed upon him to support legislation that he personally disapproved of.

"We believe that no government can exist in peace except such laws are framed as will secure to each individual....the right and control of property...." I think I understand the importance of the Church making exception to this tenet. I find it sad that this has to be.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Striker
captain of 50

Post by Striker »

EPH wrote: March 20th, 2015, 8:44 am My husband was selected by the church to be part of opinion polling surveys. His last one he submitted was just after Kate Kelly's excommunication. I assume they are done with him since it has been awhile since they've sent him a survey. One of the surveys was quite focused on this issue. I don't remember the questions exactly but mostly were about how one felt about the church getting involved in Utah politics. Other surveys focused on gay marriage. Feelings about recent excommunications and feelings about moving to a 2 hour block. I get frustrated when opinion polling is used or pilot programs and we all jump and call changes revelation.
Not from U.S. so don't have the feel for some of these issues in the way that you guys do.
But I would say this:
What on earth would the point be in canvassing opinion or doing surveys if you're not going to act on the outcomes? That is to say...the Church is clearly doing this. They are clearly reacting to the changing times and attempting to make our whole culture relevant to the 21st century. Whilst trying to appear unmoved by any pressure groups.
So much for the unchanging everlasting restored church honestly........

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I hadn't thought the Church is taking surveys with a eye toward changing doctrine and/or policy, but rather to help in better education of Church members and to help determine what gospel principles need special attention.

I wish one of the senior apostles were studying the LDSFF. There is a lot to be seen here Re. major concerns of members.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »