How Cults Work

For discussion of political issues in general.
User avatar
Jim Kelley
captain of 100
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:49 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Jim Kelley » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:02 pm

May I present two dictionary definitions and then some personal observations?

In my 1953 large edition (takes two large books) dictionary the definition for cult is; “Extravagant devotion to a person, cause, or thing.” Wouldn’t that fit a religion that whole heartily worships Jesus Christ?

Now my 2000 college edition dictionary. Third definition; “A religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist.” Notice anything added here?

Just a side note: I looked up gay in the 1953 dictionary and the definition is; “Merry, sportive, brilliant, showy, loving pleasure, happy, cheerful.” Any changes since 1953?

Here are my observations:

Starting way back there were movies (and I suppose books too) depicting “satanic cults.” This depiction was done quite well to paint the term “cult” as anything but righteous but only had to do with Satan and evil.

One of the later movies I am aware of depicting satanic cults for public consumption is the 1975 movie, Race With The Devil. Here is a link to a promo. I don’t think You Tube has this movie for free but for rent. Any way you can get the idea what this movie was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqv6PIH_ymY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would seem Satan did his homework well in brainwashing the public to be conditioned to think any religion that can be labeled as a cult is satanic.

Look at what is being said right on this thread. We are discussing all the anti-Mormon definitions for cult as if they really meant something when we should be exposing the anti-Mormon folly that changed the definition for the word cult to fit their anti-Mormon purposes. Obviously the anti-Mormons have succeeded judging from the newer dictionary definitions and many of today's conversations even on this thread.

It seems Satan wants to corrupt languages to fit his purposes. That is exactly why the words gay and queer have been destroyed today. Those were two perfectly good words that used to be used in everyday conversation. I personally think gay has been corrupted and adopted by the homosexual community to give the suggestion homosexuality is a merry way of life. I personally use the term homosexual instead of gay and queer.

Even the Nephite’s language was corrupted after a time (Moroni 10:32-33) so the end result was the BofM was harder to write and translate. But the Lord God knows all things and He provided a way for the BofM to be translated correctly for our day in English.

Satan isn’t doing anything on this earth that hasn’t already been done on other worlds before (Temple Endowment) so the corruptions of the word cult is only a part of Satan’s tried and proven plan to attack The True Church and should not be considered any more than that.

Bro. Jim

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

User avatar
Thinker
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: The Universe - wherever that is.

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Thinker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 am

Jim,
I agree that evil influences can be subtle - as slowly increasing the temperature of water until boiled to (spiritual) death.

When I think about cult mentality (religious, atheist, political, cultural...) I get a little nervous for myself and others - as if watching my kid try riding a bike for the first time.
To maintain a balance - you gotta keep going - but ideally avoiding crashing into thorny rose bushes. :D

Doubt is necessary for humble reliance on God and for progressing and realizing we don't know it all. Faith is also important - we literally walk and do everything by faith - belief we can do it with God's help. To lean too much on skeptical doubt - or blind faith - we're likely to lose balance and/or "crash" - miss the mark.

Each cult mentality may offer truth mixed with deceptive philosophies of men. So, it's important to maintain constant vigilence in studying, pondering and praying to discern what is good and true and to do God's will - to the best of our ability.

User avatar
Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Benjamin_LK » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:27 pm

Jim Kelley wrote:May I present two dictionary definitions and then some personal observations?

In my 1953 large edition (takes two large books) dictionary the definition for cult is; “Extravagant devotion to a person, cause, or thing.” Wouldn’t that fit a religion that whole heartily worships Jesus Christ?

Now my 2000 college edition dictionary. Third definition; “A religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist.” Notice anything added here?

Just a side note: I looked up gay in the 1953 dictionary and the definition is; “Merry, sportive, brilliant, showy, loving pleasure, happy, cheerful.” Any changes since 1953?

Here are my observations:

Starting way back there were movies (and I suppose books too) depicting “satanic cults.” This depiction was done quite well to paint the term “cult” as anything but righteous but only had to do with Satan and evil.

One of the later movies I am aware of depicting satanic cults for public consumption is the 1975 movie, Race With The Devil. Here is a link to a promo. I don’t think You Tube has this movie for free but for rent. Any way you can get the idea what this movie was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqv6PIH_ymY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would seem Satan did his homework well in brainwashing the public to be conditioned to think any religion that can be labeled as a cult is satanic.

Look at what is being said right on this thread. We are discussing all the anti-Mormon definitions for cult as if they really meant something when we should be exposing the anti-Mormon folly that changed the definition for the word cult to fit their anti-Mormon purposes. Obviously the anti-Mormons have succeeded judging from the newer dictionary definitions and many of today's conversations even on this thread.

It seems Satan wants to corrupt languages to fit his purposes. That is exactly why the words gay and queer have been destroyed today. Those were two perfectly good words that used to be used in everyday conversation. I personally think gay has been corrupted and adopted by the homosexual community to give the suggestion homosexuality is a merry way of life. I personally use the term homosexual instead of gay and queer.

Even the Nephite’s language was corrupted after a time (Moroni 10:32-33) so the end result was the BofM was harder to write and translate. But the Lord God knows all things and He provided a way for the BofM to be translated correctly for our day in English.

Satan isn’t doing anything on this earth that hasn’t already been done on other worlds before (Temple Endowment) so the corruptions of the word cult is only a part of Satan’s tried and proven plan to attack The True Church and should not be considered any more than that.

Bro. Jim
Good points. But being called something awful is what has always been the case. Opposition to the Israelites, Abraham, the Jews, Jesus, and then his disciples, something evil along the same lines as people describe the church today. The actual persecution is not the same, although the character assassination technique is always about the same. And I will note, calling the Mormons a threat to civilization was more of the same. But understanding the use of cult to selectively place outrage out there is completely understandable.
Hebrews 11:1

User avatar
Jim Kelley
captain of 100
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:49 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Jim Kelley » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Thinker wrote:Jim,
I agree that evil influences can be subtle - as slowly increasing the temperature of water until boiled to (spiritual) death.

When I think about cult mentality (religious, atheist, political, cultural...) I get a little nervous for myself and others - as if watching my kid try riding a bike for the first time.
To maintain a balance - you gotta keep going - but ideally avoiding crashing into thorny rose bushes. :D

Doubt is necessary for humble reliance on God and for progressing and realizing we don't know it all. Faith is also important - we literally walk and do everything by faith - belief we can do it with God's help. To lean too much on skeptical doubt - or blind faith - we're likely to lose balance and/or "crash" - miss the mark.

Each cult mentality may offer truth mixed with deceptive philosophies of men. So, it's important to maintain constant vigilence in studying, pondering and praying to discern what is good and true and to do God's will - to the best of our ability.
I am responding to your post because of your illustration about riding a bike into the rosebushes.

When I was a boy, in about 1955, a neighbor boy was riding my bicycle which was really to big for either one of us. David was riding my bike, pumping side to side, lost control and went into the rosebushes. Your illustration put a smile on my face and brought back a funny childhood memory.

Thanks,

Bro. Jim

User avatar
Thinker
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: The Universe - wherever that is.

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Thinker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Ouch! But I'm glad that brought back a fun memory.
One of my kids did that too.
I always thought the saying "life is roses" is accurate as long as you take them in their natural state - thorns and all. :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
gtoda
captain of 50
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:25 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby gtoda » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:29 pm

Thinker wrote:A respected friend told me I was in a cult and at first I was defensive, but then I began looking into it and sure enough, our church fits many characteristics.

Still, I see cult qualities in any group - and often those who come to hate the Mormon "cult" just move to another cult, adopting even more dysfunctional ideologies, like killing children as birth control, calling those who don't support legal "rights" based on sexual substitutes, "homophobes" or "bigots" (cult-like shunning), or making fun of "climate deniers" who object to spending billion$ on "climate change" bs.

You can take a person out of a cult, but it's tough to take the cult out of the person.
Very good points.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9086
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Fiannan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:29 am

Speaking of cults. Image
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:10 am

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
gruden2.0
captain of 100
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby gruden2.0 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:40 pm

ajax wrote:http://www.howcultswork.com/

• Instant friends.
This reminds me how in the last ward we were in, shortly after we arrived the bishop there assigned a woman to be my wife's friend, thus an 'instant friend'. I never figured that one out. Strange times.
The time will come when this people will be led onto the very brink of hell by their leaders, then the one mighty and strong will come to set the house of God in order. Brigham Young, Mosiah Hancock journal, pg. 19

User avatar
Sirocco
Praise Me!
Posts: 3542
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Sirocco » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:41 pm

gruden2.0 wrote:
ajax wrote:http://www.howcultswork.com/

• Instant friends.
This reminds me how in the last ward we were in, shortly after we arrived the bishop there assigned a woman to be my wife's friend, thus an 'instant friend'. I never figured that one out. Strange times.
no assigned friend would last long with me...
besides I have friends, friends as odd as I who enjoy and share my love of collecting rocks and lovecraftian horror and steven universe.
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9086
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Fiannan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Sirocco wrote:
gruden2.0 wrote:
ajax wrote:http://www.howcultswork.com/

• Instant friends.
This reminds me how in the last ward we were in, shortly after we arrived the bishop there assigned a woman to be my wife's friend, thus an 'instant friend'. I never figured that one out. Strange times.
no assigned friend would last long with me...
besides I have friends, friends as odd as I who enjoy and share my love of collecting rocks and lovecraftian horror and steven universe.
That's not odd. :)
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
Sirocco
Praise Me!
Posts: 3542
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Sirocco » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:44 am

Well I am very picky about who I spend my time with, I can't imagine some random "assigned" person would gel well with me.
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Sun May 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Before the photoshop job :)

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1881
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby BrotherOfMahonri » Mon May 25, 2015 4:24 am

something to consider watching, i do not agree with entirely but appreciate the efforts made...

https://www.youtube.com/user/askreality/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We ought to obey God rather than men." -the Apostle Peter, Acts 5:29

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 am

BrotherOfMahonri wrote:something to consider watching, i do not agree with entirely but appreciate the efforts made...

https://www.youtube.com/user/askreality/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Before the photoshop job :)

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1881
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby BrotherOfMahonri » Tue May 26, 2015 5:25 am

Joel wrote:
BrotherOfMahonri wrote:something to consider watching, i do not agree with entirely but appreciate the efforts made...

https://www.youtube.com/user/askreality/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Where did you get that graphic? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
"We ought to obey God rather than men." -the Apostle Peter, Acts 5:29

User avatar
Obrien
Up, up and away.
Posts: 4930
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Obrien » Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 am

Joel has a Urim and Thummim, thus allowing him to find all kinds of digital hilarity.
Peace be unto you...

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Tue May 26, 2015 8:19 am

Obrien wrote:Joel has a Urim and Thummim, thus allowing him to find all kinds of digital hilarity.
BrotherOfMahonri wrote:Where did you get that graphic? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
:D Imgur!
Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Cult Leader, Sun Myung Moon: Emperor of the Universe
Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Sirocco
Praise Me!
Posts: 3542
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Sirocco » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Screw him, I'm the Emperor of the Universe!
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Sirocco wrote:Screw him, I'm the Emperor of the Universe!

:))
Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Sirocco
Praise Me!
Posts: 3542
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Sirocco » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Joel wrote:
Sirocco wrote:Screw him, I'm the Emperor of the Universe!

:))

*possible rendering*

Image
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Joel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Looking powerful!
Before the photoshop job :)

User avatar
Sirocco
Praise Me!
Posts: 3542
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: How Cults Work

Postby Sirocco » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Need to be, I am the Emperor of the Universe!

Emperor Sirocco Jai-Li Shura Jasper Herculies-Rockefeller
Super Inpachi Sardonyx Shura Sirocco;
Specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!
Adonai wrote:[Arrr, matey] my feet be dusted for now no more pearls be given.

User avatar
KMCopeland
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2284
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The American South

Re: How Cults Work

Postby KMCopeland » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 am

Jim Kelley wrote:May I present two dictionary definitions and then some personal observations?

In my 1953 large edition (takes two large books) dictionary the definition for cult is; “Extravagant devotion to a person, cause, or thing.” Wouldn’t that fit a religion that whole heartily worships Jesus Christ?

Now my 2000 college edition dictionary. Third definition; “A religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist.” Notice anything added here?
What I notice is that your 1953 dictionary isn't describing a cult, but someone who belongs to one. Looks to me like your 2000 dictionary is the better quality one.
Jim Kelley wrote:Just a side note: I looked up gay in the 1953 dictionary and the definition is; “Merry, sportive, brilliant, showy, loving pleasure, happy, cheerful.” Any changes since 1953?
I'm annoyed that we can't use the word gay the way we once could too. It's meaning has been sharply curtailed now. But there are still lots of others to choose from. We'll be all right.
Jim Kelley wrote:Here are my observations:

Starting way back there were movies (and I suppose books too) depicting “satanic cults.” This depiction was done quite well to paint the term “cult” as anything but righteous but only had to do with Satan and evil.

One of the later movies I am aware of depicting satanic cults for public consumption is the 1975 movie, Race With The Devil. Here is a link to a promo. I don’t think You Tube has this movie for free but for rent. Any way you can get the idea what this movie was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqv6PIH_ymY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would seem Satan did his homework well in brainwashing the public to be conditioned to think any religion that can be labeled as a cult is satanic.

Look at what is being said right on this thread. We are discussing all the anti-Mormon definitions for cult as if they really meant something when we should be exposing the anti-Mormon folly that changed the definition for the word cult to fit their anti-Mormon purposes. Obviously the anti-Mormons have succeeded judging from the newer dictionary definitions and many of today's conversations even on this thread.

It seems Satan wants to corrupt languages to fit his purposes. That is exactly why the words gay and queer have been destroyed today. Those were two perfectly good words that used to be used in everyday conversation. I personally think gay has been corrupted and adopted by the homosexual community to give the suggestion homosexuality is a merry way of life. I personally use the term homosexual instead of gay and queer.

Even the Nephite’s language was corrupted after a time (Moroni 10:32-33) so the end result was the BofM was harder to write and translate. But the Lord God knows all things and He provided a way for the BofM to be translated correctly for our day in English.

Satan isn’t doing anything on this earth that hasn’t already been done on other worlds before (Temple Endowment) so the corruptions of the word cult is only a part of Satan’s tried and proven plan to attack The True Church and should not be considered any more than that.

Bro. Jim
Jim, if you insist on ascribing demonic motives to changes in word usage, you've got your work cut out for you.

Nice: This word used to mean “silly, foolish, simple.” Far from the compliment it is today.

Silly: Meanwhile, silly went in the opposite direction: in its earliest uses, it referred to things worthy or blessed; from there it came to refer to the weak and vulnerable, and now it just means foolish.

Awful: Awful things used to be “worthy of awe," which is how we get expressions like “the awful majesty of God.”

Wench: A shortened form of the Old English word wenchel (which referred to children of either sex), the word wench used to mean “female child” before it came to be used to refer to female servants -- and more pejoratively to wanton women.

Fathom: It can be hard to fathom how this verb moved from meaning “to encircle with one’s arms” to meaning “to understand after much thought.” One’s outstretched arms can be used as a measurement (a fathom), and once you have fathoms, you can use a fathom line to measure the depth of water. Think metaphorically and fathoming becomes about getting to the bottom of things.

Clue: Centuries ago, a clue (or clew) was a ball of yarn. Think about threading your way through a maze and you’ll see how we got from yarn to key bits of evidence that help us solve things.

Myriad: If you had a myriad of things 600 years ago, it meant that you specifically had 10,000 of them -- not just a lot.

Naughty: Long ago, if you were naughty, you had naught or nothing. Then it came to mean evil or immoral, and now it mostly just means badly behaved.

Eerie: Before the word eerie described things that inspire fear, it used to describe how people feel when they're afraid fear -- as in one could feel faint and eerie.

Spinster: As it sounds, spinsters used to be women who spun. It referred to a legal occupation before it came to mean “unmarried woman” -- and often not in the most positive ways, as opposed to a bachelor …

Bachelor: A bachelor was a young knight before the word came to refer to someone who had achieved the lowest rank at a university. It lives on in that meaning in today’s B.A. and B.S degrees.

Flirt: Some 500 years ago, flirting was flicking something away or flicking open a fan or otherwise making a brisk or jerky motion. Now it means something else altogether.

Guy: This comes from the name of Guy Fawkes, who was part of a failed attempt to blow up Parliament in 1605. Folks used to burn his effigy, a “Guy Fawkes” or a “guy,” and from there it came to refer to a frightful figure. Now, in the U.S. mostly, it has come to refer to men in general.

Hussy: Believe it or not, hussy comes from the word housewife, and used to refer to the mistress of a household, not the disreputable woman it refers to today.

Egregious: It used to be possible for it to be a good thing to be egregious: it meant distinguished or eminent. Now it means that someone or something is conspicuously bad.

Quell: Quelling something or someone used to mean killing it, not just subduing it.

Divest: 300 years ago, divesting could involve undressing as well as depriving others of their rights or possessions. It has only recently come to refer to selling off investments.

Senile: Senile used to refer simply to anything related to old age. Now it refers specifically to senile dementia.

Meat: Have you ever wondered about the expression “meat and drink”? It comes from an older meaning of the word meat that refers to food in general -- not just animal flesh.

I think we give Satan far too much credit for things he probably didn't have a hand in. Seems to me he's probably got bigger fish to fry than to spend a lot of time changing the meanings of words.
“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth; only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.” C.S. Lewis


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: awaketozion, Baidu [Spider], Dave62, davedan, Fiannan, Google Adsense [Bot], moving2zion, PressingForward, Son of Liberty, zionbuilder and 131 guests