Garments/Temple Robes Shown in new Church Video

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Garments/Temple Robes Shown in new Church Video

Post by jdawg1012 »

I didn't see this posted previously.
LDS Church releases video, topic page discussing temple garments
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7656 ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I dunno how to embed the video, but someone else can if they want to.

I have mixed feelings about the video, but I'll leave that alone until I decide what I think. But I can say, it's out of the ordinary, to me. I remember when I received my endowment, a non-endowed friend came with me to the distribution center when I went to buy my temple clothing, and they were NOT permitted to come to the area with me when I was shown the temple clothing/tried it on. I had always been instructed not to show anyone my temple clothing, and everyone I knew over the years would keep their robes, etc. hidden when laundering/washing/drying them.

I'm curious as to what you think. One of the comments on the article stuck out to me:
UT Brit
London, England

The video clearly violates the church handbook of instructions book 1.If I had made a video a few weeks ago showing the same things I would have been excommunicated. These things are supposed to be sacred!

8:29 a.m. Oct. 20, 2014

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Garments/Temple Robes Shown in new Church Video

Post by ajax »

Keys.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

FTP

Just watched the video. LDS are just like everyone else, seems to be the message. I think with some creative editing and a musical score, this could become the next full length feature film!
Last edited by Obrien on October 20th, 2014, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

ajax wrote:Keys.
I started thinking a whole lot of things when I read that single word, but would you care to elaborate as to what you meant?

The thought that came to my mind is that the GA's have the keys to reveal these things to the world. Is that what you meant?

I've never understood the secrecy about most of the temple process. I think people are afraid to talk about a lot of things that they're free to discuss. Not the signs and tokens, for example, but I really wish they'd at least release the creation videos to the general public. They're so good and artful, I think others would really benefit from them. As far as the clothing, I've never understood the secrecy behind it either. But what do I know?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

WTFTP?!?!?!?!?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

jdawg1012 wrote:
ajax wrote:Keys.
I started thinking a whole lot of things when I read that single word, but would you care to elaborate as to what you meant?

The thought that came to my mind is that the GA's have the keys to reveal these things to the world. Is that what you meant?
Only someone with keys can okay the production of such a video. Not a regular joe-sixpack.

jdawg1012
captain of 1,000

Post by jdawg1012 »

P.S., what is "the highest apostle?" Freudian slip? Or was that meant to be "most Senior apostle"? Plus new members don't wear temple clothing, and are thus not dressed in the same way. So the video is weird when saying, "the highest apostle, and the newest member are indistinguishable when dressed in the same way." (02:10-02:25). This wouldn't happen in real life. This necessarily refers to the temple clothing by context and stating that men and women are dressed in similar clothing, so the implication is that new members get to go to the temple, but the "newest members" don't. I don't understand...I don't think it's quibbling to note the discrepancy, because this is supposed to teach non-members, but seems either accidentally inaccurate or intentionally misleading.

adventeon
captain of 10

Post by adventeon »

highest apostle = accidentally accurate
newest member = intentionally misleading

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

adventeon wrote:highest apostle = accidentally accurate
newest member = intentionally misleading
:ymapplause: a "thank" was inadequate.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

It's not weird at all to record images of your underwear to share with others who might be interested in it.
Victoria Secret does it all the time. :-BD

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

As a temple ordinance worker, I often heard newly endowed people told that they should launder their temple robes at home, and not send them out to the cleaners, even if they wanted to have a professional job done on ironing the pleated robe. It was totally stressed that they should not allow any non-member, or unendowed member, to see them. I would be interested to see if that advice is changed soon, since the video of the temple clothing is publicly available now, on the MormonNewroom site.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Yeah I'm not sure what the point is now of cutting out the marks and cutting up the fabric so they are unrecognizable when we dispose of them - if the church is just going to splash them ask over the internet. But hey, maybe this means that I won't have to worry about babysitters soon, and I can just pick up the temple movie from RedBox! :-BD

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

I walked in on my Mom folding hers after washing them when I was young, and she couldn't get me out of the room fast enough.
Now they're on the internet... :-??

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

I showed the video to my husband last night. The moment it began he said "This is not done by our church."

"Yes it is."

(Movie is still playing.)

"No, it is NOT. There is NO WAY."

"Yes, honey, it is."

(Movie now showing temple clothing as my husband frowns at the screen.)

"No it's NOT. It doesn't even feel right."

Church logo appears at the end of the movie and the silence in our home was laced with such shock it was eerie.

I remember being in high school, around 1997 or so, when I saw an AT&T commercial with 'www.att.com' across the bottom of the blue screen with the company logo shown very last. I recall pausing as a gentle realization hit me that I had just witnessed the whole world change from now on into the future, right in front of my very eyes. Web addresses were appearing in commercials and they would continue to do so from now on. Watching that movie last night had the same feel: Something has changed.

Is there persecution coming and the church is trying to educate the public to prevent misconceptions in order to protect members?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

OnGoing wrote:I showed the video to my husband last night. The moment it began he said "This is not done by our church."

"Yes it is."

(Movie is still playing.)

"No, it is NOT. There is NO WAY."

"Yes, honey, it is."

(Movie now showing temple clothing as my husband frowns at the screen.)

"No it's NOT. It doesn't even feel right."

Church logo appears at the end of the movie and the silence in our home was laced with such shock it was eerie.

I remember being in high school, around 1997 or so, when I saw an AT&T commercial with 'www.att.com' across the bottom of the blue screen with the company logo shown very last. I recall pausing as a gentle realization hit me that I had just witnessed the whole world change from now on into the future, right in front of my very eyes. Web addresses were appearing in commercials and they would continue to do so from now on. Watching that movie last night had the same feel: Something has changed.

Is there persecution coming and the church is trying to educate the public to prevent misconceptions in order to protect members?
I think persecution is coming and there's no point in hiding anymore.

rootbeer
captain of 10

Post by rootbeer »

So what's the purpose of the video? Can I now show my temple robes to my kids? neighbors? strangers? Don't you think it must have been approved from the top?

Guess I can now send my temple clothing over to Chong's Dry Cleaning.

The article says temple robes are similar to a "nun's habit, the Jewish prayer shawl, the Muslim's skullcap, and the saffron robes of the Buddhist monk" Must be the church's way of attempting to make itself appear less weird to the rest of the world or something.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Saw the film posted on Facebook.

I knew a couple a few years back who were active and sometimes liked to spend the weekend at a local nudist resort or nude beach. They confided to me that they always removed their garments and put on regular underwear because it was wrong to show the garments because they had symbolic significance. Also recall a talk years ago chastising members who had their garments on outside clotheslines for all the neighbors to see.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Folks, this much ado about nothing. There are you tube videos all over the place that show these things. This was done very respectfully and tastefully by the Church to explain why we wear garments, and shows that people have worn religious vestments for thousands of years. They did not show the marks or explain them or why any of the other temple clothes are worn. They stressed that this is not "magic underwear". I have no problem with it. The clothes were not modeled so people really don't know how they are worn.

rootbeer
captain of 10

Post by rootbeer »

rootbeer wrote:Guess I can now send my temple clothing over to Chong's Dry Cleaning
I just read my post.

Sorry, not trying to be racist or stereotyping, this is where I actually do my dry cleaning.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

My wife reminded me that the deceased wear temple robes in open casket funerals where they are visible to the public.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

kathyn wrote:Folks, this much ado about nothing. There are you tube videos all over the place that show these things. This was done very respectfully and tastefully by the Church to explain why we wear garments, and shows that people have worn religious vestments for thousands of years. They did not show the marks or explain them or why any of the other temple clothes are worn.
You might want to watch it again.... I can see the marks in the bit that begins at 2:49, and definitely can see them at 3:22.

They stressed that this is not "magic underwear". I have no problem with it. The clothes were not modeled so people really don't know how they are worn.
How do YOU wear a shirt and boxers? @-)

How is this any different than what the anti-mormons have posted online for years? How come last year, this would have been considered abominable and violating sacred things which should be kept private - where now we can make movies about it - but it's OK because.... [insert various excuses here]?

It seems to me that the church is trying more and more to make sure that NOBODY views Mormons as a "peculiar people" - to the point that they slowly and subtly change policies, mold and compromise scripture and doctrine, and violate the things LDS have held most sacred - to "fit in" with the crowd. (Who knows where that prophecy is that when the church is no longer viewed as different from others, that we're toast??) The church is doing a dang good job of fulfilling that prophecy - among others. :|

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

kathyn wrote:Folks, this much ado about nothing. There are you tube videos all over the place that show these things. This was done very respectfully and tastefully by the Church to explain why we wear garments, and shows that people have worn religious vestments for thousands of years. They did not show the marks or explain them or why any of the other temple clothes are worn. They stressed that this is not "magic underwear". I have no problem with it. The clothes were not modeled so people really don't know how they are worn.
I kinda like the magic underwear concept. :)

sam_d
captain of 10

Post by sam_d »

rewcox wrote:
kathyn wrote:Folks, this much ado about nothing. There are you tube videos all over the place that show these things. This was done very respectfully and tastefully by the Church to explain why we wear garments, and shows that people have worn religious vestments for thousands of years. They did not show the marks or explain them or why any of the other temple clothes are worn. They stressed that this is not "magic underwear". I have no problem with it. The clothes were not modeled so people really don't know how they are worn.
I kinda like the magic underwear concept. :)
I agree. I miss the days when my underwear gave me a resistance to fire. It was like a value-added bonus.

Now I'm just left with a reminder of my covenants.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Random thoughts after watching the video again:

Jules - I looked, maybe my eyes are old, but I can't see any of the marks. Not that that really changes much.

I am not offended by the term magic underwear. My favorite colloquialism for garments is "angel chaps".

The juxtaposition of "newest" as the opposite of "highest" was the biggest non-sequitur in the whole video. Someone should get a copy of that before it goes down the Poelman Hole and is changed to "most senior".

K - if you want to be fireproof, just keep that tithing rolling in...:)

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Obrien wrote:Random thoughts after watching the video again:

Jules - I looked, maybe my eyes are old, but I can't see any of the marks. Not that that really changes much.

I am not offended by the term magic underwear. My favorite colloquialism for garments is "angel chaps".

The juxtaposition of "newest" as the opposite of "highest" was the biggest non-sequitur in the whole video. Someone should get a copy of that before it goes down the Poelman Hole and is changed to "most senior".

K - if you want to be fireproof, just keep that tithing rolling in...:)
Fullscreen on a 22" monitor. I'm sure it's not that visible on a little square embedded in the news article, but if someone wants to see them, they'll open up the video like I did.