Garments/Temple Robes Shown in new Church Video

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Garments/Temple Robes Shown in new Church Video

Post by Obrien »

jbalm wrote:I'm sure someone would step up and give/lend the money.

Mormons are very nice when they want to be.

If you're asking if there is some "official" answer, then I don't know.
Unofficially, I've done this ^^^. It was on a nice day, not a negative, ignorant, twisted, darkened heart day.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Obrien wrote:
jbalm wrote:I'm sure someone would step up and give/lend the money.

Mormons are very nice when they want to be.

If you're asking if there is some "official" answer, then I don't know.
Unofficially, I've done this ^^^. It was on a nice day, not a negative, ignorant, twisted, darkened heart day.
Hey, Obrien, we are like-minded, as I have also done this a few times, totally unofficially. I have a nice day now and then too.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Bananikka wrote:I've asked this before and didn't get a response... (and s sorry if it's off topic) But what if a member doesn't have $ for garments or temple clothing?
I was in this position and went to the bishop a couple years ago (2 bishops ago). THAT bishop was a great guy, and he had an envelope of money the ward had acquired from a couple of private donations outside of tithing or fast offerings. He decided to use the funds for "weird" circumstances that the church would not cover. He gave me the envelope and told me to go buy temple clothes (the ones I had were ruined in the washer when it broke and leaked oil all over my whites).

I'm not sure why providing temple clothes for the poor was an "unusual circumstance" and if that cool bishop didn't happen to have those funds, I'm not sure what would have happened. Knowing HIM, he probably would have bought them for me out of his own pocket.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Jules wrote:
Bananikka wrote:I've asked this before and didn't get a response... (and s sorry if it's off topic) But what if a member doesn't have $ for garments or temple clothing?
I was in this position and went to the bishop a couple years ago (2 bishops ago). THAT bishop was a great guy, and he had an envelope of money the ward had acquired from a couple of private donations outside of tithing or fast offerings. He decided to use the funds for "weird" circumstances that the church would not cover. He gave me the envelope and told me to go buy temple clothes (the ones I had were ruined in the washer when it broke and leaked oil all over my whites).

I'm not sure why providing temple clothes for the poor was an "unusual circumstance" and if that cool bishop didn't happen to have those funds, I'm not sure what would have happened. Knowing HIM, he probably would have bought them for me out of his own pocket.
I just hope the guy in brick pants wears garments...

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

rewcox wrote:
Jules wrote:

Not sure, I didn't feel around and do a G-check ;)

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Jules wrote:
rewcox wrote:
Usually you just glance, and see if you can see the outline.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

rewcox wrote:
Jules wrote:
rewcox wrote:I just hope the guy in brick pants wears garments...
Usually you just glance, and see if you can see the outline.
Actually that's a statue of an LDS dude who had received his Calling and Election. Not sure if he wore G's or not - that kind of thing doesn't concern me. I look for where a man's heart is, what his relationship with the Savior is, and how he treats others - rather than focusing on an outward symbol that can be used to pretend righteousness. BUT, this man happens to be dead, and he also has a wife. So while I LOVE his brick pants, I'm not sure he and I would be a good match... :D.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

tonight I was talking to my friend in the ward ( yes, my 1 friend). he was concerned about a video he heard the church had made. he had not seen it. when I described it for him, he was blown away. he thought it must be anti-mormon. when I told him no, it's from the church, he was dumbstruck. he told me back when he went on a mission ( late 80's), if they had to change in a group setting with other missionaries, they had been advised to cover the marks with their hands until they could get dressed...?!? that's the culture he accepts about garments. he's deeply disturbed, but he's also a TBM, so I get it.

ps - I don't want to sound whiney - 1 friend is plenty for me. probably him, too. :)

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

Jules wrote: This isn't about garments, it's about the nosedive the church is taking into the volcano - backpedaling on everything they used to hold sacred to "fit in". The church wants to be one of the popular kids. People of God are NOT the popular kids. They do what God directs and what the Savior asks - regardless of how un-cool it makes them look. The church seems very hypocritical every time they come out and do something that utterly violates things that were once important and things that they used to punish members for doing.
No Jules, I think it is something else. Do a search on youtube for lds garments. It is all there done by anti mormons. I think we have reached a point at which sacred things are treated with mockery throughout the internet. I have seen pictures of the temple garments on the internet for a long time. The fact is it is all out there. I think the video is about asking people to respect us in the same way as they expect us to respect them.

There is nothing sinister about it and I think you are drawing too many conclusions that do not reflect the reality of the situation.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

perhaps it's not a big deal to you, but it is to others who have had a lifetime of teaching and belief pushed aside in 4 minutes. my TBM friend was really upset last night, despite your cute little annoying video snippet proclaiming " oh brother". HE sees it as a sort of betrayal by the church. I'm pretty agnostic about it - if someone were curious they can find lots of "stuff" about the temple online.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Hopefully, since the Gs aren't "Top Sacred," as many of us were led to believe, the church will lighten up on telling everyone they should be worn all the time, like when doing yard work in the summer, or when it's just too darn hot in general.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

jbalm wrote:Hopefully, since the Gs aren't "Top Sacred," as many of us were led to believe, the church will lighten up on telling everyone they should be worn all the time, like when doing yard work in the summer, or when it's just too darn hot in general.
Or during any month that has a vowel in its name.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sen6b wrote:The thing is...its the tokens and signs that are what's truly sacred , and not to be spoken of. Now if the church came out with a video showing the endowment ceremony, THAT i would worry about. The purpose of this video isn't to show that we are " just like everyone else" either. It's to show the truth and that some of the things we do aren't really as unusual as some people think. I mean it wasn't until about 6 months ago that i understood the relation of the temple clothes to the book of exodus. I really liked that they showed that part in there to.
My opinion is that some people just go out of their way to be offended by things. I trust the church leaders and their judgement on things....and i believe that there is probably a reason that "we" are unaware of at the time that this needs to come out.
They've come out with several. They just limit the venue... :D

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

A very good essay and interesting comments on the subject:

http://bycommonconsent.com/2014/10/22/i ... more-52838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

sen6b wrote:You guys do realize nobody is being forced to wear them right? You don't die and go to hell if you take them off.
Yep, neither would you...

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

sen6b wrote:You guys do realize nobody is being forced to wear them right? You don't die and go to hell if you take them off.
=)) Tell that to 90% of the members of the church including leadership who think otherwise.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

It seems to me that the church is trying more and more to make sure that NOBODY views Mormons as a "peculiar people" - to the point that they slowly and subtly change policies, mold and compromise scripture and doctrine, and violate the things LDS have held most sacred - to "fit in" with the crowd.
So maybe soon, you Utah Latter-day Saint Sisters will be able to purchase your garments at Victoria's Secret? All the better to reveal your latest plastic surgery 'nips-tucks-uplifts-enhancements'. Soooo awesome!

Oh, wait! No Victoria's Secret at City Creek....yet!

Brethren, where will you purchase your mithril?

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

sen6b wrote:The thing is...its the tokens and signs that are what's truly sacred , and not to be spoken of. Now if the church came out with a video showing the endowment ceremony, THAT i would worry about.

Look, even that is on youtube. I think, there was one where someone took a secret video camera through. I have seen it, so even that is on the net.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

It doesn't really matter what is online. I know that anyone can see/read everything we do in the temple if they wish. That doesn't change the fact that I made a covenant not to disclose those things. I felt that the video was inappropriate.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

One would think that plastic surgery is at least as bad as tattoos, or too many piercings in your ears.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Hmm. Do the plastics get restored in the resurrection?

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

sen6b wrote:So if i have tattoos does that make me bad? I know Jules has at least one. ;) i think this is one of those things that God has to judge by a person's intent.
In my opinion...no. I have several tattoos, in fact.

But people keep telling me I'm supposed to feel guilty about them. But I don't. So, sometimes, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty about them.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

A temple-Pharisee-tattoo-story:
One of my fellow sister temple workers, a young woman, had a very small butterfly tat just above her ankle. One day, when it was visible just below her temple dress hemline, the Temple Matron whispered in my ear -- she's such a lovely girl, it's too bad she had to go and do that to her body.

I was very close to getting a tat of my own just to spite Sister Matron. So unkind. So judgmental.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

But people keep telling me I'm supposed to feel guilty about them. But I don't. So, sometimes, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty about them.

I sometimes wonder what became of a young man who was turned away from donating blood at an LDS blood drive in Seattle because of a recent tattoo. Our RS President - who had a kind of modified 'punk' haircut - asked him what he had had tattooed. He unbuttoned his shirt and showed us a beautifully wrought, large CTR emblem over his heart.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

You cannot donate blood or plasma within 12 months of receiving a tattoo or piercing no matter who is doing it.

No kidding?!

This was in the early 90's. Imagine that!