Anyone need a job?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Anyone need a job?

Post by brianj »

gclayjr wrote: February 26th, 2013, 7:54 am Good Luck Strawberry. I think one of the most common fictions believed by almost everybody in our society is that the econmy is only hitting those with few skills and that the reason that engineering and computer jobs are going overseas is that we have s shortage of trained engineers , scientists and computer people.

Hogwash!

I have a son who has a degree in Computer science and works a GIant supermarkets as a clerk. My company has been regularly laying of skilled engineers and computer professionals for the past 5+ years and transferring their work to consulting firms in India and China to reduce "costs".

One can argue the value of using "Low cost" skilled labor force in 3rd world countries vs more expensive local talent, but the idea there isn't enough "local talent" is hogwash. Just ask all of the engineers and programmers who are either looking for work or working at unsilled jobs to keep themselves employed.

Again I wish the best for you and your husband.

Regards,

George Clay
Thanks to Julia for resurrecting this dead thread or I would never have seen it. And a special thanks to George for what he wrote.

I was a 'late bloomer' who started at a university about a decade after most and earned a computer science degree three years later. I graduated in 2001, after the Y2K issue had been resolved and the dot com bubble popped and was either unemployed or underemployed for several years. Finally I took a good job, but in Obama's first year I was laid off. Since then I endured unemployment and severe underemployment until this last spring.

I know a lot of very good people with good skills who can't get a good job because we lack the background that appeals to employers. When I was an undergraduate student I went to school year round to graduate more quickly, and when I did graduate the fact that I hadn't taken summer internships was held against me. Later my unemployment was held against me, and when I got involved in open source software projects or took contract jobs I was rejected because I hadn't been working as a regular employee. Go figure.

The worst part of my struggles was church members who misread the Book of Mormon and then tell me that if I am not prospering it's because I'm not righteous. I do believe that I didn't prosper for several reasons including preventing me from becoming prideful, helping me to become the person I need to be, and so that those who are bringing about this economic situation can be held accountable for how they hurt others.

anhelv
Hi, I'm new.

Re: Anyone need a job?

Post by anhelv »

You can find a Job http://bolsa.visitcolima.mx/ if you are in Mexico.