Gallatin MO, what's the story

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
DrJay
captain of 100

Re: Gallatin MO, what's the story

Post by DrJay »

Many LDS moved to Gallatin without adequate preparation. Many came without a job and don't understand why they can't find a high tech job in a rural community. Zion is doing well in Gallatin (I didn't say the LDS Church) and its businesses are expanding rapidly.

farfromhome
captain of 100

Post by farfromhome »

SwissMrs...
The dirty little secret all of us who leave Utah harbor is that we would love/and dream of coming back. Just not now, I can't stand what it is, but I adore what it was.
I hear ya...

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

At the time that the OP was posted; part of it was blatantly false. Missionaries WERE proselyting in the Gallatin area in 2010, and I was one of them. For those that move to that area, though, I would be prepared for massive trials, and not all from non-members, though there certainly IS an anti-mormon sentiment in Gallatin. Some of that has to do with the church buying up all their favorite hunting grounds around AOA.

Oh, and as for local businesses, they'll generally sell to the devil himself, if need be. ;) (and the Amish over in Jamesport will absolutely LOVE your business--even if you have a missionary tag on.)

DrJay
captain of 100

Post by DrJay »

Actually, I am planning on spending the 4th in Gallatin. There has been a recent reactivation in the city that seems to me to be quite significant. They will be having a first class fireworks display. So if nothing else, it should be a lot of fun.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

DrJay wrote:Actually, I am planning on spending the 4th in Gallatin. There has been a recent reactivation in the city that seems to me to be quite significant. They will be having a first class fireworks display. So if nothing else, it should be a lot of fun.
Well, you should probably pack your own food. About the only places to eat in town are Subway, and the French Bread Pizza place. (At least as of 2011).

DrJay
captain of 100

Post by DrJay »

Actually, the Gallatin park is the place to be on the 4th. The vets get to eat free some great BBQ at the pavillion. There are dozens of vendors with anything you care to eat and then some and the Root Beer is fantastic. This is not the Gallatin of 2011, things have changed dramatically in the last few years.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

DrJay wrote:Actually, the Gallatin park is the place to be on the 4th. The vets get to eat free some great BBQ at the pavillion. There are dozens of vendors with anything you care to eat and then some and the Root Beer is fantastic. This is not the Gallatin of 2011, things have changed dramatically in the last few years.
I'm glad to hear it, and I'm sure that the elders or sisters who are currently serving there are also. :D

worthit
captain of 100

Post by worthit »

All I can say is, if you are on this forum Manti area is not for you

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

worthit wrote:All I can say is, if you are on this forum Manti area is not for you
Why do you say that? or do we just take it on your eminent say-so?

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Doc; Considering a move to Manti?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I have friends in the Manti area. Seems like a very nice area to me -- with a TEMPLE, for heaven's sake. I love to go to the temple there when I'm in the area.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Beautiful area, hope you get back in time! :ymhug:

Louisianamama
captain of 100

Post by Louisianamama »

DrJay wrote:Actually, I am planning on spending the 4th in Gallatin. There has been a recent reactivation in the city that seems to me to be quite significant. They will be having a first class fireworks display. So if nothing else, it should be a lot of fun.
Interested in how you felt about the area in regards to anti-Mormon issues during your 4th celebration!??

DrJay
captain of 100

Post by DrJay »

Actually, I saw nothing that had any hint of any-Mormon at all during the celebration. But I did hear one of the most inspiring talks I've ever heard on the 4th. The place erupted in clapping and support for this country.

Cattlechic
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Cattlechic »

I hope no one minds if I respond to this thread as I am not an LDS member. What I am is a Christian who has lived for 40 years in Daviess and Caldwell County Missouri. I graduated high school in Gallatin. I currently live just 7 miles from Far West. At one time I lived less than 2 miles from Haun's mill.

I have seen the anti Mormon sentiment in my community. I have also seen anti Amish, anti Muslim, anti Jehovah Witness, anti Black, anti Hispanic, anti "anything but me" sentiment in my community. I guess my point is there is surely not a place left in this world that some religion, race, or culture is going to be accepted and embraced by 100% of the population. I try not to judge people by anything other than their own actions. A church, a country, or a language does not dictate how a person will treat others or how much goodness is in their heart. I wish no one would be judgmental or classify others with some label, but I think every person or group must deal with the reality that they will be discriminated against for some reason in their life.

Recently the Mormons have established a very thriving quilting business in Hamilton, 13 miles from Gallatin. Hamilton's business and population had dwindled greatly in the last 20 years. This Mormon owned business has almost single-handedly rejuvenated a very depressed and low income community. I spoke with an employee last week that said there are now 126 people working there and six new positions soon to be advertised. This is a huge boost to a town of 1800 people in just the few short years since Missouri Star Quilt opened. I have seen two reactions to this sudden prosperity. There are the positive people that do not care what religion the owners are and see only the benefits to our community through jobs, tax revenue, tourism, and downtown renovation. Then there are the negative few that I believe succumb to jealousy or quite simply fall short in coveting what others may have. Some think the Mormon Church funds it's members businesses, some think because the owners are Mormons no tax revenue is being generated. Some say Mormons are cheats in business. Some think Mormons have no interests unless it benefits only other Mormons or the LDS Church. Most opposition I think is jealousy, but much is based on misinformation, gossip, and lack of validated facts.

I will say there are a few specific names that are very frequently connected to unneighborly actions or underhanded conduct and I will say I have myself experienced unpleasant dealings with those same Mormon people, but I have had many more unpleasant situations with members of a dozen other religions. I also know many Mormon people in my community that are wonderful, generous, helpful, open, friendly people. I do not label my neighbors by their religion and cannot for the life of me figure out why some people do.

I will try to briefly give my opinion on a few other comments in this thread. I was saddened and surprised that some of you actually feel in danger of personal harm in this area. There may be some redneck types around here, but there are no religious vigilantes or organized efforts to thwart all Mormons from our county. If by chance you are referring to the cleansing, or by layman's term, doomsday, I would say anyone in possession of food, firearms, and necessities will be challenged and harassed by people of low morals or those unwilling to prepare and provide for themselves... and by prepare I mean not only with worldly goods but spiritual knowledge, fortitude, and faith.

Someone asked how the Amish perceived the Mormons. The Amish not only have a community at Jamesport (6 miles from AOA) but also now between Hamilton and Kidder. The Amish do not pass judgement on other religions, to each his own. They are probably more similar to you than you know. They are totally dedicated to family, community, school, and Church. They are prepared and self sufficient. They are very generous to anyone that needs help and volunteer outside their communities in neighboring towns and charities. I am not sure why anyone would want to persecute or insult their religion and was appalled by someone in my town that made the comment that "maybe the Amish and Mormons will get in a war and kill each other off so we won't have any of either left here anymore." There is just no excuse for that kind of sentiment against any religion or race. It was then that I decided to make known my opinion of people's nastiness and hate. I now directly ask people why do they think that way? What is their experience and knowledge? I merely challenge their statements without insulting or arguing. I am seeing a change with this tactic. Maybe the people aren't changing what they think, but at least they think before they speak and consider that the person they are talking to may not agree or may be offended by their hatefulness.

As I said, I graduated from Gallatin (25 yrs. ago). At that time, the only Mormon comments or whispers that I remember were based on large family size and were not what I would consider extremely crude or derogatory. That was before the Mormon land rush. Yes, there are locals that are offended that land prices went up after the Mormon surge, but again I think they are disappointed that they did not purchase when the price was lower or did not have property to sell once it did get so high. I am sure there are many more Mormon children that attend there now and I don't have any idea what the current situation is.

There does seem to be two classes of Mormons that have moved here, the affluent and the leaches that the affluent support through fast offerings of the Church. Sorry about the bluntness of that comment, but in general most Mormons known to me are motivated, responsible, self supporting, and prepared for hardships that may arise. There is a very small minority that seem to appreciate the efforts of those hard workers rather than to support themselves. That phenomenon is definitely not limited to LDS in this day and age.

In closing, I am sorry any person or group must commiserate their fears and lack of acceptance be it for any belief or reason as they walk this earth. I hope that whatever your religion or race, you remain strong in your faith and Church and pray for the people that need God's guidance to learn, love, and accept others.

I guess if there are more questions about the Gallatin area, I could answer if asked. I do hope you all can realize there is no organized hate against you. I am sorry there are nasty people in this world that would ever make you feel like that.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Interesting insights Cattlechic. Thanks.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Last month our small Albany branch in Missouri had its boundaries changed, such that the southern part was cut out and then added to the Gallatin ward. This took some very strong families from our branch and from our stake, and added them to the Gallatin ward, bolstering their dwindling numbers.

Dear friends were among them. I miss them.
Last week we had a funeral in our branch, losing yet another high priest member. Two couples that were transferred to the Gallatin ward came to our little branch for the funeral. It was nice to see them again.

PS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVPWxwfJ8M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Hope you enjoy it!

--Steve

PPS -- recent progress in alt-energy research, for any interested:
http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=2647.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Momdalf
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Momdalf »

I know the original post is a few years old, but I moved here the year before this post (2009). All I can say is "WRONG". First of all, it's impossible for every Saint to move to Missouri (or Utah for that matter). Those who are called to be here come. Some stay, some move. It's a very personal thing and since you (the original poster) are not a prophet, seer or revelator, please leave the inspiration to the Lord via the Holy Ghost. Peace Out!

Gainesville Pirate
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Gainesville Pirate »

I visited AOA and Far West in November, 2015 and loved the area. I felt the Spirit strongly at those sites. I have considered retiring to the area. Does anyone have an "update" on how well the Church is growing in the area? What are your thoughts on "the cleansing" of the area? I spoke to some members in MO who feel that "the cleansing" took place during the Civil War. Any thoughts on this?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:That probably means Colorado or Kansas. That's where my sights are set long term.
Colorado is where I grew up, it's where I'll always feel is home, and I'll always feel like an outsider anywhere else. That said, I probably won't be leaving the Uintah Basin while I live. My wife wants to be close to her family, and we both have good jobs we like and are appreciated in, we have a house and 5 acres, so I'll be grateful for what I have and bless His Holy Name for allowing me to experience the wonder that is Colorado for my formative years. I'll always look back in joy.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Gainesville Pirate wrote:I visited AOA and Far West in November, 2015 and loved the area. I felt the Spirit strongly at those sites. I have considered retiring to the area. Does anyone have an "update" on how well the Church is growing in the area? What are your thoughts on "the cleansing" of the area? I spoke to some members in MO who feel that "the cleansing" took place during the Civil War. Any thoughts on this?
My wife and I are members of the newly-formed (OCT 2015) Far West Stake in Mo, and enjoy it there.
The Church is growing - our branch has frequent convert baptisms and has grown in 3 years from an attendance at Sacrament mtg from about 50 to about 110, sometimes more. There is a feeling of love, friendship, comradery in the branch and in the Stake I find.

And like you, " I felt the Spirit strongly at those sites" - especially AoA which is 26 miles from our home as-the-crow-flies.

That said, I urge you to be prayerful and to "study it out in your own mind" then take it to the Lord for confirmation.
There are many wards and branches that need service and strengthening... I found this during extensive travels the past year, to branches and wards in Minnesota, Michigan, Penna, Maryland and Nebraska. A few loving, caring, dedicated individuals in a branch or ward can make a HUGE difference.

My wife Lezlee and I have submitted our papers (which took time to get the medical and especially dental done) for a couple mission. We will serve WHERE EVER we are called by the Lord.

Gainesville Pirate
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Gainesville Pirate »

Thank you for your reply. I have prayed regarding moving to your area and I feel that I should "stay put" in Virginia for now. However, Missouri is on our "short list" for settling down after I retire from the Federal Government. I can retire at anytime since I have the years of service and am of age to retire. My wife and I would also like to serve a mission, however, we have a seven year old son and it will be a few years. We have lived in the Washington, DC suburbs for 27 years and are ready for the "quiet life". I would love to have a few acres in a rural area where we could have a nice garden and enjoy a slower lifestyle. Most of all we want to be where the Lord desires and we always seek his will in our lives. That mindset has served us well over the past 30 years since we were married. Anyway, right now is not the time to move, but we are certainly open to a future move to your beautiful area.

wwward
Hi, I'm new.

Post by wwward »

Wow! I can't believe what I am reading! I live in Jameson (attached physically to AOA), and we are in the Gallatin Ward. The anti-Mormon sentiment is really minimal. I substitute teach in the Gallatin schools and I've never seen problems with the kids against the Mormon kids. Yes, the locals don't always visit Mormon-owned businesses, but there are so few businesses!

I think Gallatin is much like the rest of the country, if not the world. Yes, there are ancient animosities, but those are eroding. We are, for the most part, respected and even appreciated. In Jameson there is a reverence for AOA amongst the non members.

We love it here! The Ward is friendly the Bishop terrific, the new Far West Stake vibrant, and we are ready to keep moving forward. We have a beautiful friendly temple an hour away. Liberty, MO is only an hour away with every shopping convenience. The airport is only an hour and fifteen minutes away of easy driving.

Yes, there are no jobs. You have to being that with you. Small communities will always have nepotism for the local jobs. But some of us work in Kansas City or St. Joseph. Some work online for remote companies. Some are retired. It is cheap to live here. Our house with two acres cost $25,000!

Take that, California!

But if you want to live in a small remote town, that is the curse- no jobs.

But there are benefits. The Lord holds firesides at AOA once a month and the angels provide refreshments! (OK, now I'm going too far). So don't buy all you hear. Many of us just moved here because it is a terrific place to live. Those who move here for other reasons soon leave. Zion is where you plant your feet and build the kingdom...

wwward
Hi, I'm new.

Post by wwward »

By the way. What a load of elitism! Of course the Elders proselyte! I go out with them all the time! I don't know who thought this up...

wwward
Hi, I'm new.

Post by wwward »

By the way, there is a single lane highway from Arizona to Gallatin, but there are two lanes going back…