Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Now we have another Prophet who is sealed to multiple women that makes 12 out of 17 prophets

Post by gardener4life »

I've never really liked either and or arguments like above. They don't show personal witness and personal revelation. They instead point to our side or theirs.

I like instead people sharing their personal testimony of truth.

Crackers
captain of 100

Re: Now we have another Prophet who is sealed to multiple women that makes 12 out of 17 prophets

Post by Crackers »

Arenera wrote: January 20th, 2018, 9:46 am Also see http://www.mrm.org/jesus-married
That smells like an anti site. Is that where you like to do your research? ;)

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

gardener4life wrote: January 20th, 2018, 6:36 pm I've never really liked either and or arguments like above. They don't show personal witness and personal revelation. They instead point to our side or theirs.

I like instead people sharing their personal testimony of truth.
Agreed, - It's something I'm often guilty of and am making a personal effort to improve on. I think personal revelations are first and foremost personal. What God has told me are things I've needed to hear and know, and have greatly blessed my life. One subject I've come to comprehend through study, and ultimately through the Spirit of God is the celestial social order, the familial order of heaven. Being a very broad subject I won't go into it too heavily here, but through this I've also come to understand the truthfulness of plural marriage, and how it is allowed and functional through this higher family order. These are things which have I've learned by means of God's spirit, and I have greatly cherished the blessings which have flowed as a result, helping me to understand the scriptures better and comprehend the God I worship. I thank my Father in heaven with every breath for the revelations and blessings which He has deigned to give me.

Plural marriage is just one facet of the heavenly family order, there is a great deal more yet for those with vessels to bear it.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:39 pm
A man's wife passes away that he was sealed to, several months later he gets sealed to another wife - when did the first wife give permission for the second sealing? I guarantee you 99.9% of wives (at least those who really and truly loved their spouse) would never agree to allow their husbands to get sealed to another woman.

And CyclOps... what do you think would happen if the rules and roles of polygamy were reversed and women could take multiple husbands for themselves while the men were forbidden from taking multiple wives? Hint: the uproar of the century would ensue. :lol:
Here is the answer for you,

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
Some years ago an associate of mine lost his beloved wife. She died after a lingering illness, and he watched in helpless agony as the doctors withdrew all hope.

One day near the end she told him that when she was gone she wanted him to marry again and he was not to wait too long a time. He protested! The children were nearly grown and he would go the rest of the way alone.

She turned away and wept and said, “Have I been such a failure that after all our years together you would rather go unmarried? Have I been such a failure?”

In due time there came another, and their life together has reaffirmed his faith in marriage. And I have the feeling that his first beloved wife is deeply grateful to the second one, who filled the place that she could not keep.
There is your .01%.
So, the Jaredites also practiced polygamy.

2 Wherefore every man did cleave unto that which was his own, with his hands, and would not borrow neither would he lend; and every man kept the hilt of his sword in his right hand, in the defence of his property and his own life and of his wives and children.
In the "retranslation" project, this was a mistake--it was written "wife".

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Sarah wrote: January 19th, 2018, 10:08 pm Brigham actually agreed that the wives should not be dictating to their husbands who their other wives should be. I know that doesn't help you win the case for monogamy, but I thought I would throw that out there anyway. And I agree that a wife or husband shouldn't try to dictate what the other does after he or she dies. The Law of Sarah isn't about the woman getting to pick out the wife for the husband, as most assume.
Just like there is a right/law/commandment for a wife to give herself to her husband, the Law of Sarah (in my opinion) is the right/law/commandment a wife has to give another wife to the husband. But as Bruce explained, if you really loved your spouse you would put his or her preferences above your own and allow him or her to choose a spouse and not dictate it. Marriage gives each rights within that relationship, but those rights are only exercised without compulsion.
When the Lord tells Joseph he is exempt from the Law of Sarah if Emma doesn't go along with it, what is he exempt from? Most would say he's exempt from getting her permission, or in other words waiting for her to give him a wife, but if that's all it is, what is the point of even having such a law, if he can take another wife to himself anyway. (And he has a right to because ultimately the Lord is who gives us our spouses, and the Lord gave Joseph this right.) I suspect that there is more to the Law of Sarah than what has been revealed, in that by obeying this Law she is entitled to some particular blessing (and not the right to choose the woman). This blessing is what Joseph was exempt in offering her as it says in sec. 132.
Nice. DC 132 agrees with BY--the law of Sarah is not about dictating who the wife will be.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

JohnnyL wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:42 pm
Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:24 pm
Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Here is the answer for you,

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng

There is your .01%.
So, the Jaredites also practiced polygamy.

2 Wherefore every man did cleave unto that which was his own, with his hands, and would not borrow neither would he lend; and every man kept the hilt of his sword in his right hand, in the defence of his property and his own life and of his wives and children.
In the "retranslation" project, this was a mistake--it was written "wife".
Well, I don’t use those scriptures...

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

What "retranslation" project?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Mindfields wrote: January 20th, 2018, 11:20 am I found the following statements online attributed to Joseph Smith. The way I see it; Joseph was either a liar who taught and practiced polygamy in secret or he was telling the truth. You can't have it both ways. I personally believe he was telling the truth.

It's easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain

• "MARRIAGE. v. 4 "Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication, and polygamy; we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife; and one woman, but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again." 1835 Doctrine and Covenants, C1, p. 251 (1835)
"...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one." (Joseph Smith - who at the time had supposedly and secretly taken at least 25 plural wives)
• Joseph Smith refers people to extract from Doctrine and Covenants on Marriage which disavows polygamy, stating that this is "the only rule allowed by the church." Times and Seasons, vol. 3, p. 909 (1842).
• Joseph Smith repeats again statement from Doctrine and Covenants on Marriage to deny all allegations of polygamy being practice. Times and Seasons, vol. 3, p. 939 (1842)
• Joseph and Hyrum Smith announce the excommunication of Hiram Brown, a member of the Church, for "preaching Polygamy, and other false and corrupt doctrines, in the county of Lapeer, state of Michigan." Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 423 (1844)
• Hyrum Smith, with full knowledge and consent of his brother Joseph, publishes statement categorically denying any teaching of plural wives or polygamy, and that all such teaching is false doctrine.
• “… some of your elders say, that a man having a certain priesthood, may has as many wives as he pleases, and that doctrine is taught here: I say unto you that that man teaches false doctrine, for there is no such doctrine taught here; neither is there any such thing practiced here.” Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 474 (March, 1844)
• "...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers." (History of the Church, vol 6, p. 411) Joseph Smith made this statement preaching from the stand to the Latter-day Saints in Nauvoo on Sunday May 26, 1844.

The dishonesty regarding polygamy is exemplified in the following statement regarding these denials by historian D. Michael Quinn:
Some elements of these Nauvoo denials obviously did not square with the historically verifiable practice of plural marriage during Joseph Smith’s lifetime. In an effort to counter the Reorganized Church’s use of these Nauvoo denials, Joseph Fielding Smith, an assistant in the Church Historian’s Office since 1901, asserted in 1905:
"I have copied the following from the Prophet’s manuscript record of Oct.5, 1843, and know it is genuine" and then quoted Joseph Smith’s diary that he alleged concluded, ". . . and I have constantly said no man shall have but one wife at a time unless the Lord directs otherwise." The handwritten Nauvoo diary of Joseph Smith for 5, October 1843 actually ends: "No men shall have but one wife."
That last quote should be easy for any historian to verify--has it been done?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Sirius wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:52 pm What "retranslation" project?
Fuzzy memory... Anyway, a few years ago, the church let a bigwig and others look at the original manuscript and compared it to what we have, and this was found to be a mistake. They made books of the project. I can't remember, and searched don't bring anything up.

Anyone?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Fiannan wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:43 pm
Forgetting Lilith and her posterity? Anyway, things were probably way more complicated in the Garden of Eden than most people dare to suppose.
How can I forget someone who never existed? ;)

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

JohnnyL wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:58 pm
Sirius wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:52 pm What "retranslation" project?
Fuzzy memory... Anyway, a few years ago, the church let a bigwig and others look at the original manuscript and compared it to what we have, and this was found to be a mistake. They made books of the project. I can't remember, and searched don't bring anything up.

Anyone?
A bigwig and others looked at it? That sounds legit.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

JohnnyL wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:52 pm
Mindfields wrote: January 20th, 2018, 11:20 am I found the following statements online attributed to Joseph Smith. The way I see it; Joseph was either a liar who taught and practiced polygamy in secret or he was telling the truth. You can't have it both ways. I personally believe he was telling the truth.

It's easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain

• "MARRIAGE. v. 4 "Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication, and polygamy; we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife; and one woman, but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again." 1835 Doctrine and Covenants, C1, p. 251 (1835)
"...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one." (Joseph Smith - who at the time had supposedly and secretly taken at least 25 plural wives)
• Joseph Smith refers people to extract from Doctrine and Covenants on Marriage which disavows polygamy, stating that this is "the only rule allowed by the church." Times and Seasons, vol. 3, p. 909 (1842).
• Joseph Smith repeats again statement from Doctrine and Covenants on Marriage to deny all allegations of polygamy being practice. Times and Seasons, vol. 3, p. 939 (1842)
• Joseph and Hyrum Smith announce the excommunication of Hiram Brown, a member of the Church, for "preaching Polygamy, and other false and corrupt doctrines, in the county of Lapeer, state of Michigan." Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 423 (1844)
• Hyrum Smith, with full knowledge and consent of his brother Joseph, publishes statement categorically denying any teaching of plural wives or polygamy, and that all such teaching is false doctrine.
• “… some of your elders say, that a man having a certain priesthood, may has as many wives as he pleases, and that doctrine is taught here: I say unto you that that man teaches false doctrine, for there is no such doctrine taught here; neither is there any such thing practiced here.” Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 474 (March, 1844)
• "...What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one. I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers." (History of the Church, vol 6, p. 411) Joseph Smith made this statement preaching from the stand to the Latter-day Saints in Nauvoo on Sunday May 26, 1844.

The dishonesty regarding polygamy is exemplified in the following statement regarding these denials by historian D. Michael Quinn:
Some elements of these Nauvoo denials obviously did not square with the historically verifiable practice of plural marriage during Joseph Smith’s lifetime. In an effort to counter the Reorganized Church’s use of these Nauvoo denials, Joseph Fielding Smith, an assistant in the Church Historian’s Office since 1901, asserted in 1905:
"I have copied the following from the Prophet’s manuscript record of Oct.5, 1843, and know it is genuine" and then quoted Joseph Smith’s diary that he alleged concluded, ". . . and I have constantly said no man shall have but one wife at a time unless the Lord directs otherwise." The handwritten Nauvoo diary of Joseph Smith for 5, October 1843 actually ends: "No men shall have but one wife."
That last quote should be easy for any historian to verify--has it been done?
I am not very familiar with the Joseph Smith Papers, but I think this is confirmed in the vol. 3 journal. ?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

If the Joseph Smith Papers "prove" Joseph Smith was not a polygamist, why is this still available on LDS.org?

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I think there is some fuzzy sourcing in this thread.
Ether 10:5 [Riplakish] Did Have Many Wives and Concubines:

Daniel Ludlow raises the question, Did the Jaredites practice polygamy? The early Nephite records indicate quite clearly that the Nephites were not to practice polygamy. The prophet Jacob was commanded by the Lord to say to his people: "there shall not any man among you have save it shall be one wife" (Jacob 2:27). However, Jacob later makes it clear that if the Lord wants His people to "raise up seed" unto Him, then He might command them to practice polygamy (Jacob 2:30).
It is not clear, however, whether or not the Jaredites were commanded by the Lord to practice polygamy. The following evidences have been cited which might indicate that they did practice polygamy:
(1) Many of the men had large numbers of sons and daughters. For example, the brother of Jared had 22 sons and daughters (Ether 6:20) and Orihah had 31 sons and daughters (Ether 7:2).
(2) Riplakish had "many wives and concubines" (Ether 10:5). He was condemned by the Lord for his wickedness, but it is not clear whether or not this condemnation was because of his "many wives."
(3) In Ether 14:2 it states that "every man kept the hilt of his sword in his right hand, in the defence of his property and his own life and of his wives and children." This verse seems to indicate that the people practiced polygamy, but whether or not it was sanctioned by the Lord is not made clear in the record.
[Daniel H. Ludlow, A Companion to Your Study of the Book of Mormon, p. 327]] [See the commentary on Jacob 2:24; Jacob 2:27]
http://stepbystep.alancminer.com/ether_10

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Lizzy60 wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 2:41 pm If the Joseph Smith Papers "prove" Joseph Smith was not a polygamist, why is this still available on LDS.org?

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng
That's not at all what I was saying.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

abijah wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 9:50 pm Isn't it fascinating how, as a church, we practiced polygamy during Joseph's day and then especially after Brigham Young assumed the reigns, Joseph publicly denied ever having anything to do with the practice, it was doctrinal and then not doctrinal, most biblical and LDS scriptures condemn the practice as an abomination, then there was the manifesto which ended it all while a faction breaks off from the church which continues to practice polygamy as the mainstream church denounces it, several Prophets and Apostles since then are sealed to more than one woman as we continue to allow men to be sealed to multiple women in the temple (although not simultaneously), President Hinckley goes on national TV in 1998 and says polygamy is not doctrinal and now our current and next church President have more than one wife. For something that is an 'eternal principle', the practice has sure had wild swings in conviction while being convoluted with ups and downs as well as a ton of uncertainty. Interesting.
The vacillation is due to the conflict between righteous men who were attempting to do as God commanded them, and a society with a very low tolerance for the practice. You have talked a lot about "the church". It might help to bear in mind what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is and what it is not. It is the restoration of Christ's original Church in it's most fundamental form, bringing with it the renewal of ecclesiastical priesthood authority and revelation. It is not however a fullness of truth, or of priesthood authority. It is not eternal, but a stepping stone to Zion, the Celestial Kingdom and the Church of the Firstborn. There are many higher, celestial laws not currently practiced in the LDS faith.

Given your distaste for plural marriage, I'm interested in how you reconcile that with the long list of spiritual giants who have practiced it, from ancient times up till this present dispensation.
I agree.

I think understanding what the Church is and what it is not is probably one of the fundamental problems with an individuals opinion of polygamy. Not the only problem of course... but one of the big ones.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

".... in the defence of his property & his own life & they of his wives & children" (ether 14:2)

http://realbookofmormon.org/comparison/ ... hapter-14/
:arrow:

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Let's go back to the beginning of the creation (since we are in a new year and have gone back to the first chapters in the manuals) - did God take a rib from Adam and make two or more wives for him?

I've always wondered too why God had to take one of Adam's ribs to make a woman... why couldn't he just create Eve like he did Adam?

And here's one more... when the Lord allegedly states 'it is not good for man to be alone'... why would he in fact state this? If what we are going through is what the Lord went through before becoming a God, then surely the plan all along would have been for a man and woman to create families, so why would the Lord have to stop and think 'hey, you know what, it is not good for man to be alone, we need to create a help meet for him'.

Thoughts?

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

I don't think one rib was literally taken from Adam's side to create Eve, or that God was actually wondering if it was good for man to be alone.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Surely Adam and Eve were both created in the same manner. Yes, the rib is a metaphor, and a powerful one. To me, it symbolizes the idea of “one flesh.” Nibley says that the rib metaphor “expresses the ultimate in proximity, intimacy, and identity” and “means bosom friends, inseparable companions.” I imagine that the question of whether man should be alone was actually more of a statement of truth, and not a question at all. Beverly Campbell has written a thoughtful book called Eve and the Choice Made in Eden that discusses these topics. It's a great and quick read, and I would consider it essential for LDSs. However, it doesn't get into the question of polygamy, so maybe I have digressed too much for this thread.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Here's a link to the actual document in the Joseph Smith Papers.

http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper- ... r-1843/143

"Joseph ‘gave instructions to try those who were preaching, teaching, or practicing the doctrine of plurality of wives...Joseph forbids it and the practice thereof. No man shall have but one wife.’”

The following changes were made to the statement above.

"Gave instructions to try those persons who were preaching, teaching, or practicing the doctrine of plurality of wives; for, according to the law, I hold the keys of this power in the last days; for there is never but one on earth at a time on whom the power and its keys are conferred and I have constantly said no man shall have but one wife at a time, unless the Lord directs otherwise."

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

Brigham Young: “Though we have it in history that our Father Adam was made of the dust of this earth and that he knew nothing about his God previous to being made here, yet it is not so; and when we learn the truth we shall see and understand that he helped to make this world and was the chief manager in that operation.
“He was the person who brought the animals and the seeds from other planets to this world and brought a wife with him and stayed here. You may read and believe what you please as to what is found written in the Bible. Adam was made from the dust of an earth, but not from the dust of this earth. He was made as you and I are made, and no person was ever made upon any other principle.” Journal of Discourses, 3:319.
"It is said by Moses the historian that the Lord caused a deep sleep to come upon Adam and took from his side a rib and formed the woman that Adam called Eve—This should be interpreted that the Man Adam like all other men had the seed within him to propagate his species, but not the Woman; she conceives the seed but she does not produce it; consequently she was taken from the side or bowels of her father. This explains the mystery of Moses' dark sayings in regard to Adam and Eve." Brigham Young
“The role of woman was fixed even before she was created, and God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It is written: And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them. [The story of the rib, of course, is figurative.]" Spencer W Kimball https://www.lds.org/ensign/1976/03/the- ... d?lang=eng

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 11:10 pm Let's go back to the beginning of the creation (since we are in a new year and have gone back to the first chapters in the manuals) - did God take a rib from Adam and make two or more wives for him?

I've always wondered too why God had to take one of Adam's ribs to make a woman... why couldn't he just create Eve like he did Adam?

And here's one more... when the Lord allegedly states 'it is not good for man to be alone'... why would he in fact state this? If what we are going through is what the Lord went through before becoming a God, then surely the plan all along would have been for a man and woman to create families, so why would the Lord have to stop and think 'hey, you know what, it is not good for man to be alone, we need to create a help meet for him'.

Thoughts?
I believe it is quite literal that a rib was taken to create Eve's body. There's a great significance in Eve's body being created from a part of Adam's body. As far as multiple wives for Adam, I don't know of anything to suggest plural marriage was practiced at that time. Remember that it's not a sin only when Heavenly Father commands it.

When Heavenly Father told His Only Begotten Son that it was not good that the man (Adam) should be alone (Moses 3:18), I don't believe it was a 'you know what I just thought of' moment, but a teaching moment.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Arenera wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 2:57 pm I think there is some fuzzy sourcing in this thread.
Ether 10:5 [Riplakish] Did Have Many Wives and Concubines:

Daniel Ludlow raises the question, Did the Jaredites practice polygamy? The early Nephite records indicate quite clearly that the Nephites were not to practice polygamy. The prophet Jacob was commanded by the Lord to say to his people: "there shall not any man among you have save it shall be one wife" (Jacob 2:27). However, Jacob later makes it clear that if the Lord wants His people to "raise up seed" unto Him, then He might command them to practice polygamy (Jacob 2:30).
It is not clear, however, whether or not the Jaredites were commanded by the Lord to practice polygamy. The following evidences have been cited which might indicate that they did practice polygamy:
(1) Many of the men had large numbers of sons and daughters. For example, the brother of Jared had 22 sons and daughters (Ether 6:20) and Orihah had 31 sons and daughters (Ether 7:2).
(2) Riplakish had "many wives and concubines" (Ether 10:5). He was condemned by the Lord for his wickedness, but it is not clear whether or not this condemnation was because of his "many wives."
(3) In Ether 14:2 it states that "every man kept the hilt of his sword in his right hand, in the defence of his property and his own life and of his wives and children." This verse seems to indicate that the people practiced polygamy, but whether or not it was sanctioned by the Lord is not made clear in the record.
[Daniel H. Ludlow, A Companion to Your Study of the Book of Mormon, p. 327]] [See the commentary on Jacob 2:24; Jacob 2:27]
http://stepbystep.alancminer.com/ether_10
Very fuzzy, I agree.

But this source was a very public big project, led by a very well known LDS figure, not a hidden or unknown thing. I'm pretty sure it was in church magazines (lds or private). I find it hard to imagine that our collective mind can't dig it up. Maybe I'll give it another try...

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

"Professor Royal Skousen of Brigham Young University, an internationally respected linguistic theorist, has devoted more than a quarter of a century to intensive study of the text of the Book of Mormon, and most especially to the original and printer’s manuscripts of the book. His work has appeared in large, handsomely produced volumes published by BYU’s Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, Yale University Press..."

"On Wednesday, 12 April 2017, at BYU in Provo, Utah, there was a special lecture by Royal Skousen celebrating the publication of the second edition of the six-volume Analysis of Textual Variants in the Critical Text Project..."

:P

Search that, plus the Jaredite wives verse, you'll find it.