This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.

Church Owned Vehicles for Sale

Postby »

The church (and the church run schoos, byu, etc) sell their cars after 2-3 years of service from the motor pool, mission field, and the GA's. They're typically at the bottom of the range from a low book perspective. Anyways, they definitely have some good buys and thought I would pass along the link in case any one needed a good car/truck etc.

http://www.lds.org/fleetsales

http://surplus.byu.edu/#Vehicles
Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Church Owned Vehicles for Sale

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Church Owned Vehicles for Sale

Postby »

On my mission the people that I talked to that had made the mistake of buying an old mission car always regretted it. We had elders jumping railroad tracks, pulling the fuse that went to the odometer (so they wouldn't use up their allotted miles when they wanted to go on a trip), etc... I'm not sure I could get past those memories with a mission car.
"The rich can only get them (keys, signs, words, etc...) in the temple, the poor may get them on the mountaintop as did Moses." Joseph Smith HC 4:608
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby »

When you click on the link, it says "SLC Area only". I don't think these are mission cars.

The church has a pretty decent fleet at Church Headquarters, and they have their own auto shop down in the depths of the underground parking. Having driven them before, I can assure anybody that they are VERY well taken care of. They are strictly controlled as far as who is able to drive them and for what purpose, and they unquestionably get every routine service they should.
mchlwise
captain of 100

Postby »

Probably most of them are not missionary cars. Seth uses a church owned truck to haul things around to his locations. He and those he works with really baby the trucks. We keep hoping one of these years we'll be ready to buy one of his when the time comes to turn them in because we know how well cared for they are. Seth was bummed we couldn't buy the old one last year. The higher mileage vehicles are almost always freeway miles - at least that's the case for Seth - back and forth to Canada, Montana, and Idaho mostly.
"We can seek for the bad in others. Or we can... extend to others the understanding, fairness, and forgiveness we so desperately desire for ourselves. It is our choice; for whatever we seek, that we will certainly find."
-Pres. Uchtdorf
ChelC
The Law

Postby »

Most specify they are missionary cars. Click on the link, it shows where the car "served". I wouldn't touch a missionary car! Almost guaranteed to have been beaten.
"behold, he aspireth to establish his counsel instead of the counsel which I have ordained, even that of the Presidency of my Church" -The Lord
“Look to the Presidency and receive instruction,” -The Prophet Joseph Smith
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Return to Off Topic / Miscellaneous Discussion