Steve Young

Discuss political news items / current events.
caddis
captain of 1,000

Steve Young

Post by caddis »

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/local/ ... c920dcdd22

Former 49’ers football star and prominent Mormon Steve Young made a surprising statement by placing political signs in the windows of his house and on his front yard.

CBS Television Station KPIX, shot video of two official “No on Prop. 8” signs in windows of the Young family home in Palo Alto, California. The video also shows three Halloween themed signs displayed on the lawn. Those signs urge people to vote against Proposition 8, which seeks to ban Gay Marriage in California.

In addition, the television station reports that Young’s wife Barbara, made a $50,000 donation to the “No on Proposition 8” campaign. It is also reported that in an e-mail to the gay advocacy group Equality California, Barbara Young made the following statement: "We believe all families matter, and we do not believe in discrimination, therefore, our family will vote against Prop. 8"

Will Carlson, with Equality Utah, called the Young family’s actions a “Pleasant surprise”, given that the LDS Church urged its members to do whatever they could to help the passage of Proposition 8 on Election Day. Carlson says, “What you see with the members of the LDS Church coming out on both sides of this issue, not just for Prop.8, but against Prop. 8, is that it’s a complex issue and there’s not one clear side.”

Carlson says the advocacy group here in Utah has not taken an official position on Proposition 8 and did not intend to get involved. But, since so many Utahns have given so much money to the campaign, Equality Utah’s head Mike Thompson, is in California right now volunteering for the “No on 8” campaign.

The Young’s are not the only Mormons to speak out against the proposed gay marriage ban in California. Recently, a group of Mormons marched to the LDS Church headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City, to urge church leadership to stop their involvement with the issue. On Sunday November 2nd, a group of Mormon mothers will hold a candlelight vigil at the plaza at the Salt Lake City Library in support of gay people and civil rights. The event is starts at 6pm and is open to all.

ShawnC
Minion

Re: Steve Young

Post by ShawnC »

I see your true colors shining through.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

THree cheers for Steve Young, the best quarterback that BYU ever had.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

My first thought is a silent prayer "May the Lord come quickly" the second is the Lord is my shield and my strength may I be worthy to stand beyond the cleanse.

I am going to be honest with you guys. It prop 8 fails and Obama wins I will consider it the beginning of the cleanse. Especially if Obama really seeks to remove the amendments to state constitutions to abolish marriage only between a man and a woman. And if the states are bound up in fights over marriage due to lawsuits. The people of Missouri would go to civil war over this issue......

The Proclamation to the world makes it very clear what the consequences of this is.

I will need extra support if I see Obama win and Prop 8 fail. I have been an emotional roller coaster the last few days about this. But I also know that it must be, and all that I have been warned about has happened, but I still am not emotionally prepared as things happen and I witness them.

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

I have to admit, I'm really disappointed by Steve's actions.

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

I just wish I could be there to see Brother Brigham put his foot in Steve's bottom when the two meet in the next world.

(if they meet at all) :twisted:

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Mosby, please explain why you feel Young's action is bad?

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Captain Moroni wrote:Mosby, please explain why you feel Young's action is bad?
I'll explain. The decision to make marriage only between a man and a woman was passed by California citizens. Unelected judged usurped the will of the people to impose marriage. A constitutional amendment was the only way to restore this usurpation.

Regardless of how you feel about marriage, these moral decisions need to made by democratic, not oligarchic and judicio-cratic means.

You can read my post about this reasoning. You can more easily understand why the church supports this, if you read this. The gay marriage issue will be the foot in the door to persecute the saints in the next few years, mark my words.

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

CM- I was just thinking about that whole sustaining and supporting the leadership of the church thing-

And as Pj has already explained - The people have already spoken on this issue, but the judges are unlawfully legislating from the bench on this issue.

But if you are on the angle of "government should not legislate marriage" - I agree, I don't want the "government" legislating ANYTHING - cause they always screw it up. I am completely in line with a libertarian viewpoint here, Steve's actions are not out of a libertarian view- rather a touchy feely political correct view of "love" and "rights" that don't exist in the natural world.

Does that make sense?- I'm typing fast

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Mosby, got you. Thanks for the clarification. My position is to support an amendment ONLY athe state level and should be worded" marriage is ONLY between people of the opposite sex." Don't like the one man-one women part. :D

a-train
captain of 100

Post by a-train »

About half the members on the lds.net board oppose Prop 8.

I had a good experience last night as I was able to give the first wake up call to some friends and members of my ward. I showed them some youtube videos and quotes from Church leaders. The usual feelings of "how could I have not known all this?", and "is there any hope in defending liberty?" were visible.

Yes a cleansing and some serious times are upon us, but I have good faith that just as we see many brothers and sisters stepping into the great and spacious building, many are being raised up from their sleep and brought to task.

-a-train

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

I explained the bailout and what I thought about Roy Blunt to some younger single adults tonight, and one of them literally grabbed his chest and looked like he was going to collapse into the sofa... yep... wakey wakey

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

Proud 2b Peculiar wrote: I am going to be honest with you guys. It prop 8 fails and Obama wins I will consider it the beginning of the cleanse... I will need extra support if I see Obama win and Prop 8 fail. I have been an emotional roller coaster the last few days about this. But I also know that it must be, and all that I have been warned about has happened, but I still am not emotionally prepared as things happen and I witness them.
No one here has explained to me why an Obama win is worse than a McCain win. Will our nation suddenly be placed on a shining path to glory if McCain wins with loud-mouthed Palin?

I'm not voting for Obama - I think he lacks substance. He's just less of an ideologue than Palin.

Our nation is already bankrupt. The die is cast. You could vote Homer Simpson or Einstein into office and we're doomed, either way. I don't understand the hysterionics over Obama. The last two months have been one major disaster after another, presided over by a president who is much closer to McCain than Obama. Obama hasn't taken office yet and people think he'll drive us over a cliff. We're already over the cliff people! We're just waiting for impact at the bottom.

How many were saying the same things if Gore won 8 years ago? Well your favorite conservative won, and look where it got us. We need to be honest with ourselves. Our nation is being run by corrupt people, and they're on both sides of the aisle.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

McCain and Obama are both evil to me, and will still take us down the same path, just different directions.

Obama's plans to disarm and to destroy marriage between a man and a woman in the states that have already passed that as a state amendment concerns me greatly.

HoneyBee
captain of 100

Post by HoneyBee »

Deleted.
Last edited by HoneyBee on November 2nd, 2008, 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rob
the Sunbeam

Post by Rob »

I'm of the opinion that it's cushy to be LDS for the time being. Granted, there are callings/positions in the Church that are public-facing, but, by and large, folks aren't taking us out back and beating us senseless on a regular basis. At least the laws don't allow it. But I digress.

Steve Young was one of the prominent Mormons featured in the Mike Wallace interview with GBH in '96(?). That someone so successful in such a culturally-revered vocation ("religion" may be more appropriate) could also be an active LDS really caused folks to re-classify us as "OK". Now that Mr. Young has (essentially) decided to not toe the party line, my Steve Young trump card is gone. :x

Oh, well. I'll always have the Osmonds. :lol:

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

Delete
Last edited by caddis on November 2nd, 2008, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

I suppose we're entitled to our opinions, but I disagree with Steve Young on this one. Perhaps his time in San Fran wore off on him or rather, his wife, and he is being 'supportive'. :lol:
"I am very passionate about this issue and Steve is completely supportive of me and my work for equality," Barbara Young said in a statement to the Mercury News after midnight. "We both love our Church and are grateful that our Church encourages us to vote our conscience. Steve prefers not to get involved politically on any issue no matter what the cause and therefore makes no endorsement."

Steve Young declined to comment when approached by KPIX-TV, which reported the story.

Barbara Young had sent a statement earlier Friday through the gay-rights group Equality California, saying: "We believe all families matter, and we do not believe in discrimination, therefore, our family will vote against Prop. 8."
Remember back in 2002, 49ers running back Garrison Hearst said in an interview with a columnist from The Fresno Bee that he would never accept a gay teammate. Did Steve Young ever respond to this?

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

It doesn't surprise me. It has been quite a number of years now that I have thought Steve Young was a puke. I think it began when I read that he had attended an antigun rally or party with Sara Brady or some other anti-gun sleaze bag from California and donated money to their cause.

I lost all respect for him then. He disgusts me even more now.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Barbara is the one against proposition 8, not Steve, although, it would be nice to see him stand up and let everyone know that he does not support gay marriage. Come on Steve, get a backbone!

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

Post by WYp8riot »

How many wheats have married tares? lol

What ever the case here we have met our destruction soon have we not.

Who else will be greatfull that Gods justice does not sleep and the wicked, the proud, and the wealthy that do not use their substance for the kingdom will soon be brought low. (Am I supposed to say forgive them for they know not what they do?)

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

I don't think he was a wheat even before this. I remember now-I think it was Barbara Boxer that he supported and gave money too to further her anti-2nd amendment agenda. He may have been a good football player, however he is a scumbag.

BlueSky
captain of 50

Post by BlueSky »

Guess he wants to correct the record...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4686916

Jnewby
captain of 100

Post by Jnewby »

Look at the bright side, Steve Young is just being one of the many useful and useless idiots that help to keep the world thinking we are just like they are. Meanwhile the work goes forward under the radar and more come unto the gospel.

a-train
captain of 100

Post by a-train »

While I am a strong supporter of the Church and Prop 8, I don't judge Steve Young nor his family. Let them vote their conscience and speak their mind.

-a-train