Flat Earth

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Curtis99
captain of 10

Flat Earth

Post by Curtis99 »

Yes, I said it.....flat earth. This theory has been introduced into my life recently and I almost immediately dismissed it but decided to take a look. I am not convinced,but I have watched many vids on this subject and have even looked to the scriptures for answers. I would encourage any of you that are interested to do the same and maybe we can have a discussion. I know some will call me crazy for bringing this subject up, I am just curious what other people think. Please don't get on here and start flinging insults, at least take some time and do some research on your own and get an educated opinion. In a lot of aspects, flat earth makes so much more sense than a globe. Anyway, I'm walking into a lions den here. Please Be gentle.
This is a documentary with 11 parts. A great starting point.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-YdgU-CF4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it matter?
http://youtu.be/Iso0jnWHGBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nvr
captain of 1,000

Re: Flat Earth

Post by nvr »

It's pretty easy.
1. Get a cell phone and a weather balloon.
2. Fill the balloon with helium and tie the phone to it.
3. Start recording video and let the balloon go.
4. Balloon will go up and eventually pop. Phone falls back to earth. Find it with phone locating service.
5. Watch the video and see curvature of the earth.

Or just go to youtube and watch someone else who's done this / or NASA or watch ocean liners come in from sea.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Curtis99 wrote: I know some will call me crazy...
Thou hast said.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

nvr wrote:It's pretty easy.
1. Get a cell phone and a weather balloon.
2. Fill the balloon with helium and tie the phone to it.
3. Start recording video and let the balloon go.
4. Balloon will go up and eventually pop. Phone falls back to earth. Find it with phone locating service.
5. Watch the video and see curvature of the earth.

Or just go to youtube and watch someone else who's done this / or NASA or watch ocean liners come in from sea.
For every evidence there's a theory to explain it away ;)
It all comes down to your personal paradigm.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I have found that in this country there is no idea or theory so ridiculously idiotic that there isn't someone gullible enough to believe it.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

skmo wrote:I have found that in this country there is no idea or theory so ridiculously idiotic that there isn't someone gullible enough to believe it.
I don't believe in the flat earth but I try not to call other peoples ideas idiotic. The idea of a round earth was idiotic when it was first presented to those who believed in a flat earth, because all evidence pointed to the earth being flat. So, I try to keep an open mind. ;)

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

skmo wrote:I have found that in this country there is no idea or theory so ridiculously idiotic that there isn't someone gullible enough to believe it.
Very American it seems lol

Curtis99
captain of 10

Post by Curtis99 »

I don't believe anything that comes from NASA. Curved lens. GoPro does the same thing. Thanks for the pretty pic though. Doesn't prove anything.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Curtis99 wrote:I don't believe anything that comes from NASA. Curved lens. GoPro does the same thing. Thanks for the pretty pic though. Doesn't prove anything.
I honestly can't believe people actually believe in flat planets...
Why can I sail around the world then, where do I go?

Just when I think I've seen everything, some new monument to insanity shows up and I am lost for most words.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

SmallFarm wrote:I don't believe in the flat earth but I try not to call other peoples ideas idiotic.
I am very careful about not calling specific people idiotic, and I don't often call someone's ideas idiotic, but every now and then one breaks through that is ludicrous enough that it requires it. I've had enough of those kinds of ideas myself, so it all evens out in the end.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

skmo wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:I don't believe in the flat earth but I try not to call other peoples ideas idiotic.
I am very careful about not calling specific people idiotic, and I don't often call someone's ideas idiotic, but every now and then one breaks through that is ludicrous enough that it requires it. I've had enough of those kinds of ideas myself, so it all evens out in the end.
And I agree with the sentiment of your post. What I really mean is that I try and not be so arrogant as to think I have the monopoly on knowledge; I mean, what if I'm wrong?

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

SmallFarm wrote:
I don't believe in the flat earth but I try not to call other peoples ideas idiotic. The idea of a round earth was idiotic when it was first presented to those who believed in a flat earth, because all evidence pointed to the earth being flat. So, I try to keep an open mind. ;)
Just don't be so open-minded your brain falls out.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sirocco wrote:
Stupidity among Americans is rampant. We're so (collectively) stupid that we actually believe our votes matter.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

nvr wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:
Just don't be so open-minded your brain falls out.
That's impossible. :)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

SmallFarm wrote:And I agree with the sentiment of your post. What I really mean is that I try and not be so arrogant as to think I have the monopoly on knowledge; I mean, what if I'm wrong?
A valid concern. If you'd like a sure fire way to check the validity of an idea, here's one way:

Make sure your opinion matches mine. I stopped being wrong. =))

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

SmallFarm wrote:
This is a myth. It needs to be drilled on people's minds. Outside of a few, unheard of, crazy radicals, no one ever argued or believed that the world was flat. The flat earth debate is a myth. It never happened. Scholars know that even the Greeks knew the world was round and had already made calculations as to how big it is. Isaiah speaks of the world as a sphere. Abraham and many other had already seen the world in vision, and Abraham was the one who taught the Egyptians all their knowledge in the sciences that God had revealed to him, which they in turn taught to the Greeks, from which the West obtained most of their knowledge. This thing that we were taught at school is a lie, it never happened.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

skmo wrote:
Sirocco wrote:
Stupidity among Americans is rampant. We're so (collectively) stupid that we actually believe our votes matter.
Yeah, we know ours doesn't lol

Curtis99
captain of 10

Post by Curtis99 »

Skmo are you calling me stupid? I NEVER said I believed it. I just wanted to start a discussion with people willing to have an open mind about it. It's so interesting to see the reactions here.
"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, yet refuse to investigate." Dr. Wayne Dyer

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

abelchirino wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:
This is a myth. It needs to be drilled on people's minds. Outside of a few, unheard of, crazy radicals, no one ever argued or believed that the world was flat. The flat earth debate is a myth. It never happened. Scholars know that even the Greeks knew the world was round and had already made calculations as to how big it is. Isaiah speaks of the world as a sphere. Abraham and many other had already seen the world in vision, and Abraham was the one who taught the Egyptians all their knowledge in the sciences that God had revealed to him, which they in turn taught it to the Greeks, from which the West obtained most of their knowledge. This thing that we were taught at school is a lie, it never happened.
While it is a myth that everyone believed the earth was flat, there is no question that the scientific community of medieval Europe (if it can be called such) believed that the earth was flat and oppressed any other kind of thinking in that regard.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

From a documentary I watched-
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
It's about God tossing down a coke bottle to earth. It turned out being a bad gift when contention arises and a kid gets cut. The father takes the bottle to the end of the earth so he can toss it away. I saw it on TV so I know it's true.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

That film is "The Gods Must be Crazy" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080801/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; an Australian comedy.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

We're in a hologram
The space between neutrons/protons and electrons is proportionally vast.

AgaetisTakk
captain of 100

Post by AgaetisTakk »

Curtis99 wrote:I don't believe anything that comes from NASA. Curved lens. GoPro does the same thing. Thanks for the pretty pic though. Doesn't prove anything.
You don't believe anything but NASA but a documentary off the YouTube has you possibly convinced. What evidence besides conjecture have you brought that would give credibility to a YouTube video over NASA. Your personal feeling shouldn't have any bearing unless you can propose a hypothesis. Do you have credible, peer reviewed evidence that proves NASA can't be trusted?

A round earth isn't just a theory, it's a Scientific Theory. This means it's been tested repeatedly and been confirmed each time by observation and experimentation, since as early as 330 CE. Gravity is Scientific Theory, not just a theory, do you also debate that gravity may not exist? A flat earth isn't even a hypothesis, it's an archaic conception that ended up having no leg to stand on around 550 CE

We have 1500 years of observable science and data to back up a round earth. Please show me one observable concept of a flat earth.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

It is disturbing to find out you and your surroundings consist of mainly force fields. Pics of a spherical earth can look like a pancake to someone else. I don't believe in flat earth, hollow earth, etc, but I'm open to being wrong and adjusting my paradigm