Why is The Book of Mormon called "The Book of Mormon"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Why is The Book of Mormon called "The Book of Mormon"

Post by Jeremy »

Why is The Book of Mormon called "The Book of Mormon"?
Because Mormon was the prophet who compiled and abridged the records.
My experience is that this is the generally accepted answer. A brief exchange that might proceed this is:
Why are Mormon's called "Mormon"?
Because we believe The Book of Mormon to be scripture and it is the keystone of our religion.
Seems simple enough...and oh how I enjoy simple things. :)

But as with most things relating to the kingdom, we see what we can when we can.

Perhaps there is another acceptable answer to these questions. Lets look at the title page of The Book of Mormon. The purpose of The Book of Mormon is recorded there.
...Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God...
There are at least three parts to this:
  1. remnant of the house of Israel
  2. their fathers
  3. knowing the covenants
All of these questions should be asked. They might already be threads somewhere to discuss them.
Who are the "remnant"?
What are the great things the Lord hath done for their fathers?
Who are their fathers?
What are the covenants?

Covenants must be important. It seems like this is one of the main objectives of The Book of Mormon, is to make them known. Now most of us have heard the phrase "Abrahamic Covenant".
Abraham 1:2-3 wrote:And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers. It was conferred upon me from the fathers; it came down from the fathers, from the beginning of time, yea, even from the beginning, or before the foundation of the earth, down to the present time, even the right of the firstborn, or the first man, who is Adam, or first father, through the fathers unto me.
Notice Abraham mentions "the fathers" and the first father who is Adam. What is one of the promises Adam received?
Moses 5:9 wrote:And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will.
Abraham "became a rightful heir" and these things are available to "all mankind, even as many as will".
Could these covenants be what The Book of Mormon is trying to show us, that we can be rightful heirs with the Fathers? I believe so and I believe it is a message hidden in its very title.

The prophet who abridged the records contained in The Book of Mormon is named Mormon. But that is not why the book carries that name. The individual named Mormon was named after a place.
3 Nephi 5:12 wrote:And behold, I am called Mormon, being called after the land of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people, yea, the first church which was established among them after their transgression.
Lets look at parts of the record containing the account of Alma establishing the church.
In the land of Mormon there was a forest called Mormon and in that forest was waters called Mormon or "the waters of Mormon".
Mosiah 18:30 wrote:And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever.
These waters were a "fountain of pure water" [Mosiah 18:5].
"...all this was done in Mormon" What was done?
Mosiah 18:16 wrote:And after this manner he did baptize every one that went forth to the place of Mormon; and they were in number about two hundred and four souls; yea, and they were baptized in the waters of Mormon, and were filled with the grace of God.
How does one receive the blessings pertaining to the "Abrahamic Covenant" without being a literal decedent? How does one become "a rightful heir"? Is it through an adoption of sorts? How does this process take place? Was Alma doing just that?
The Book of Mormon is synonymous with covenant. Mormon was named after a place where covenants where made. Read what some of those covenants are in Mosiah 18.

The Old Testament and The New Testament are covenants. The Book of Mormon is a covenant and brings the two together. The Old Covenant and the New Covenant become one in The Book of Covenant (Mormon). Recognizing this perhaps brings a bit more meaning to this scripture:
D&C 84:54-57 wrote:And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received
Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written
This also helps with the question of why are we called Mormon's. When we are refereed to as "Mormon" it should be because we are a people of covenant...not because an awesome guy name Mormon compiled holy writ which bears his name. No - this awesome guy was named after a place which contained a "fountain of pure water" where individuals were given the invitation to enter into a covenant to be rightful heirs with the fathers.

Are you a "Mormon"?

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Re: Why is The Book of Mormon called "The Book of Mormon"

Post by AshleyB »

Thanks for starting this thread Jeremy. Its an important topic and one I have not fully understood myself. The was the entire subject for Denver's Centerville talk and he talks more about it in the Orem talk too. I am really excited for the rest of the lectures because I think they will shed even more light on these things. Anyway, a few things come to mind. I wonder if the word "mormon" itself possibly means "covenant" or something along those lines. I also like how baptisms are symbolic of our physical births as we are submersed in water and "reborn". This rebirth symbolizes an* adoption process whereby we become sons and daughters of God.

I liked the questions you asked. I think another good question is " how do we know we have fulfilled our baptismal covenants? " or rather how do we know the Lord has covenanted with US? I do think keeping our covenants is a never ending process. It keeps going. But I do beleive there are markers along the way that show us where we are on the path of making and keeping these covenants.

And yes, understanding what covenants are being made is important too. All those questions.

When we claim to be mormons we are claiming to be a covenant people. Wouldn't it be vanity in the highest to call ourselves a "mormon" or a covenant son or daughter of God if we don't have a real covenant with God?

Hence I think those scriptures come even more to life.
55 Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation.

56 And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all.

57 And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—

58 That they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father’s kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion.

59 For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay.

60 Verily, verily, I say unto you who now hear my words, which are my voice, blessed are ye inasmuch as you receive these things;

61 For I will forgive you of your sins with this commandment—that you remain steadfast in your minds in solemnity and the spirit of prayer, in bearing testimony to all the world of those things which are communicated unto you.

62 Therefore, go ye into all the world; and unto whatsoever place ye cannot go ye shall send, that the testimony may go from you into all the world unto every creature.
I looked up some other scriptures pertaining to condemnation...
61 Wherefore, let all men beware how they take my name in their lips—

62 For behold, verily I say, that many there be who are under this condemnation, who use the name of the Lord, and use it in vain, having not authority.

63 Wherefore, let the church repent of their sins, and I, the Lord, will own them; otherwise they shall be cut off.

64 Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit; and in this there is no condemnation, and ye receive the Spirit through prayer; wherefore, without this there remaineth condemnation.
Here are some more ..
3 Ye endeavored to believe that ye should receive the blessing which was offered unto you; but behold, verily I say unto you there were fears in your hearts, and verily this is the reason that ye did not receive.

4 And now I, the Lord, give unto you a testimony of the truth of these commandments which are lying before you.

5 Your eyes have been upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and his language you have known, and his imperfections you have known; and you have sought in your hearts knowledge that you might express beyond his language; this you also know.

6 Now, seek ye out of the Book of Commandments, even the least that is among them, and appoint him that is the most wise among you;

7 Or, if there be any among you that shall make one like unto it, then ye are justified in saying that ye do not know that they are true;

8 But if ye cannot make one like unto it, ye are under condemnation if ye do not bear record that they are true.

9 For ye know that there is no unrighteousness in them, and that which is righteous cometh down from above, from the Father of lights.

10 And again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual.

11 For no man has seen God at any time in the flesh, except quickened by the Spirit of God.

12 Neither can any natural man abide the presence of God, neither after the carnal mind.

13 Ye are not able to abide the presence of God now, neither the ministering of angels; wherefore, continue in patience until ye are perfected.

14 Let not your minds turn back; and when ye are worthy, in mine own due time, ye shall see and know that which was conferred upon you by the hands of my servant Joseph Smith, Jun. Amen.
We are told in plainess in the scriptures above that if we do not bear testimony that the scriptures even the book of commandments, that they are true we are under condemnation. Removing the lectures on faith likely only heaped more condemnation upon the church collectively.

We are also told of a promise [Covenant] from OUR FATHER that we would see Him if we humble ourselves if we apply these scriptures to ourselves also. ( "And what I say unto one I say unto all.")
31 Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light.

32 And every man whose spirit receiveth not the light is under condemnation.
Last edited by AshleyB on December 2nd, 2013, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

log
captain of 1,000

Post by log »

AshleyB wrote:I think another good question is " how do we know we have fulfilled our baptismal covenants? " or rather how do we know the Lord has covenanted with US?
When you enter into a covenant with God, you know it. It is borne to the soul by the power of the Spirit, and not of our own will, but God's.

The substance of it is that we covenant to obey God and keep his commandments, but the particular form and verbiage will be different for everyone, it seems. At least, that's the impression I've gotten when comparing notes with those who have likewise been baptized by fire.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

log wrote:
AshleyB wrote:I think another good question is " how do we know we have fulfilled our baptismal covenants? " or rather how do we know the Lord has covenanted with US?
When you enter into a covenant with God, you know it. It is borne to the soul by the power of the Spirit, and not of our own will, but God's.

The substance of it is that we covenant to obey God and keep his commandments, but the particular form and verbiage will be different for everyone, it seems. At least, that's the impression I've gotten when comparing notes with those who have likewise been baptized by fire.

Thanks Log. :) I agree. It is unique for everyone. You also just mentioned one of the "markers" along the way that I was referring to in my post. Or perhaps they are better described as "signs" and "tokens" that we receive to mark the way of life. I dont want to keep going back and editing my other post and making it longer but something struck me even more deeply as I was reading those scriptures. It seems that bearing testimony as to the truthfulness of the things we have learned and received is an INTEGRAL part of keeping our covenants. It is an actual commandment to do such things. I don't know why but it just kind of hit me more powerfully at the moment.
Last edited by AshleyB on December 2nd, 2013, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarbar
captain of 100

Post by Jarbar »

In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Smith says the word Mormon means "more good"

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Jarbar wrote:In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Smith says the word Mormon means "more good"
Would you provide more of that quote please?

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

Jarbar wrote:In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Smith says the word Mormon means "more good"
It's not sure wether Joseph Smith truely taught this.. but here it is
It has been stated that this word [mormon] was derived from the Greek word mormo. This is not the case. There was no Greek or Latin upon the plates from which I, through the grace of God, translated the Book of Mormon. Let the language of that book speak for itself. On the 523d page, of the fourth edition, it reads: And now behold we have written this record according to our knowledge in the characters which are called among us the Reformed Egyptian ... none other people knoweth our language; therefore [God] hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof." ... [The] Bible in its widest sense, means good; for the Savior says according to the gospel of John, "I am the good shepherd;" and it will not be beyond the common use of terms, to say that good is among the most important in use, and though known by various names in different languages, still its meaning is the same, and is ever in opposition to bad. We say from the Saxon, good; the Dane, god; the Goth, goda; the German, gut; the Dutch, goed; the Latin, bonus; the Greek, kalos; the Hebrew, tob; and the Egyptian, mon. Hence, with the addition of more, or the contraction, mor, we have the word MOR-MON; which means, literally, more good.[16]
The May 15, 1843 Times and Seasons

It is also interesting to note that "Mormon" was originally a land.. the land of Mormon ..

log
captain of 1,000

Post by log »

I believe it's obvious Joseph was jesting. Unless we wish to postulate there was English on the plates.

Hannant
captain of 100

Post by Hannant »

Which plates?
Kinderhook?
Those plates we actually have.

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

What interesring thoughts, Jeremy.

Something I learned recently, is that pure water, especially coming from an natural fountain, is even today called "living water" because of its different chemical consistence. There are simple ways today to purify normal water. A friend of mine did diverse experiments with that water, and in one case, the flower nourished with that water reached double size.

Mormon being in connection with pure, living water makes sense, since the Bom is he purest Book, that contains all knowledge to grow, and to live eternaly. It truely is the covenant with us. An pure fountain of sacred truth

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

One thing I love about the scriptures is how often we find in one verse, a shadow of another truth, or event..
12 And behold, I am called Mormon, being called after the land of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people, yea, the first church which was established among them after their transgression.
In those times, the land of Mormon was the place where the first church was established after their transgression..
Today, the Book of Mormon was the Book by which the church was resored after the great apostacy

An covenant is made with pure water..
In the BOM we learn about our covenants in their pure form, making as alive

"The waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemr"
The same can be said about the Bookd of Mormon

Thinking o pure water, I think of covenant, life, growth, clean..
Thinking of forest, I think of peace, refuge, silence, whisper, sacred,

Just a few thoughts

Hannant
captain of 100

Post by Hannant »

Mor = Morgan

Mon = Monroe?

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Simon wrote:In those times, the land of Mormon was the place where the first church was established after their transgression..
Today, the Book of Mormon was the Book by which the church was resored after the great apostacy
Awesome! I totally missed that. Really cool. Very poetic...as are the ways of the Lord.

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

i am a convert to the Church. When I joined I accepted the term "Mormon." Yet when I grew older and matured more I realized that I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints......not the Mormon Church which is a nickname. I never liked being called a Mormon or calling myself a Mormon. I don't worship Mormon. I don't worship Joseph Smith. i don't worship the Prophet. I only worship Jesus Christ.
".....and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land. ....... And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come. And therefore, at this time, Moroni prayed that the cause of the Christians, and the freedom of the land might be favored. (Alma 46: 13-16)

Simon
captain of 1,000

Post by Simon »

moonwhim wrote:i am a convert to the Church. When I joined I accepted the term "Mormon." Yet when I grew older and matured more I realized that I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints......not the Mormon Church which is a nickname. I never liked being called a Mormon or calling myself a Mormon. I don't worship Mormon. I don't worship Joseph Smith. i don't worship the Prophet. I only worship Jesus Christ.
".....and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land. ....... And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come. And therefore, at this time, Moroni prayed that the cause of the Christians, and the freedom of the land might be favored. (Alma 46: 13-16)
I remember one of the twelve apostle how he told that always when they had business meetings, and all were drinking some alcohol, he always chose to drink milk.. It gave him a chance to talk about the gospel.. I see it similarely with the term "mormons".. it can be a chance to talk about it..

I really find it noteworthy how Mormon himselfe calles it the "Book of Mormon"... I believe he did not so by his own intent, but by the Lords. And looking at it's backround, it fits it very well..

But you are right, the name also is cause for great misunderstanding, at least in the world around us.. So.. let's do somthing about it ;)

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

moonwhim wrote:i am a convert to the Church. When I joined I accepted the term "Mormon." Yet when I grew older and matured more I realized that I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints......not the Mormon Church which is a nickname. I never liked being called a Mormon or calling myself a Mormon. I don't worship Mormon. I don't worship Joseph Smith. i don't worship the Prophet. I only worship Jesus Christ.
Awesome. I am thinking your reply was due to the last question - "Are you a 'Mormon'?"
It seems like you took a bit of objection to this question. Your objection was polite and understood. I only hope that what has been shared thus far about the name "Mormon" implies exactly what you want to be called - Christian. In many ways "Mormon" is even more descriptive in today's world than "Christian", if we are able to see it.

Simply believing in Christ doesn't make one Christian, though the world would say otherwise. Even the devils believe in Christ. Believing and COVENANTING with Christ makes you Christian. Its how we take upon ourselves, gladly, the name of Christ. Its how we become sons and daughters. Its how He becomes our father.
Covenants. This book is to remind and persuade us to believe in Christ and make covenants with Him. This is what "Mormon" is, though the world would say other wise. :) We shouldn't be bothered by what others perceive our beliefs to be. Testify clearly. I believe in Christ. He is my salvation. I covenant with Him and keep His commandments. I am "Mormon".
Helaman 5:9 wrote:O remember, remember, my sons, the words which king Benjamin spake unto his people; yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world.
Alma 37:13 wrote:O remember, remember, my son Helaman, how strict are the commandments of God. And he said: If ye will keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land—but if ye keep not his commandments ye shall be cut off from his presence.
3 Nephi 18:7 wrote:And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

Simon wrote:
I remember one of the twelve apostle how he told that always when they had business meetings, and all were drinking some alcohol, he always chose to drink milk.. It gave him a chance to talk about the gospel.. I see it similarely with the term "mormons".. it can be a chance to talk about it..

I really find it noteworthy how Mormon himselfe calles it the "Book of Mormon"... I believe he did not so by his own intent, but by the Lords. And looking at it's backround, it fits it very well..

But you are right, the name also is cause for great misunderstanding, at least in the world around us.. So.. let's do somthing about it ;)
I have no problem with the title of The Book of Mormon.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

log wrote:I believe it's obvious Joseph was jesting. Unless we wish to postulate there was English on the plates.
What? You're saying the word "mor" in the Nephite language doesn't mean "more"?? and "mon" means "good"??

log
captain of 1,000

Post by log »

lemuel wrote:
log wrote:I believe it's obvious Joseph was jesting. Unless we wish to postulate there was English on the plates.
What? You're saying the word "mor" in the Nephite language doesn't mean "more"?? and "mon" means "good"??
"Hence, with the addition of more, or the contraction, mor, we have the word MOR-MON; which means, literally, more good."

I think it's a wee bit o' a stretch, m'boyo. Not impossible, to be sure, but I think it's unlikely enough to signify a spot o' humor.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

log wrote:
lemuel wrote:
"Hence, with the addition of more, or the contraction, mor, we have the word MOR-MON; which means, literally, more good."

I think it's a wee bit o' a stretch, m'boyo. Not impossible, to be sure, but I think it's unlikely enough to signify a spot o' humor.
This is why we need to read by the Spirit, so we know when a prophet is joking ;) . Who knows how many of Brigham Young's doctrines were jokes? Adam-God?