"Mens Hearts Will Fail Them"

Discuss the events, news, revelations and prophecies relating to Zion, the last days, second coming, etc.

Postby d_no » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:53 am

I guess I've not put much thought into it but the other day I was sitting in Sacrament meeting and a guy was speaking about the last days. He went through a couple signs of the times and spoke of "In the last days mens hearts will fail them". From that he spoke of his uncle dying of a heart attack. I'm not sure, but when I ponder that, My thoughts are that its referring to mens faith, not their hearts literally. Thoughts??
d_no
captain of 10

Sponsor

Sponsor

The Mormon Chronicle

Latter-day Conservative

Re: "Mens Hearts Will Fail Them"

Postby Mosby » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:09 am

My 2 cents on this is how "afraid" everyone is these days.

Afraid of the :

terrorists
losing their job
the economy
crime
etc......etc .....etc...

Basically not living by faith and relying upon the merits of Christ to lead, guide and ultimately relying upon him to save them.

I used to be a "fearfull" person, but I noticed when I stopped paying so much attention the the fear-based news and t.v - I saw the world in a whole new light. - And it didn't look so scary!

That's my take- most people are very fearful- and why are they that way?
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man".........Thomas Jefferson
Mosby
captain of 1,000

Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Postby Original_Intent » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 am

I agree with you. I have thought of the literal interpretation as well - my father passed away due to heart failure a few months ago - but what I think it means is that men will be too attached to "living" amd going with the flow - no one will take the necessary risks to stand on principle (I should not say no one, but relatively few). We are living in a society where standing on principle is seen as a bad thing - too divisive, or hateful, or judgmental, etc. And people have been so thoroughly conditioned to go with the crowd and not make waves - I think it is referrring to things of that nature, i.e. cowardice (and more of being laughed at than of anything) that is being referred to.

edit: great post Mosby - I agree!
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby Col. Flagg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:17 am

"Truth is in history, but history is not the truth." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby ktg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I've notice that an extremely large number of scriptures have dual meanings. It could mean both.
"As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, providence punishes national sins by national calamities." George Mason
ktg
captain of 100

Postby An Eye Single » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Elder Holland suggests a meaning at the beginning of his talk "Safety for the Soul" in last October's General Conference.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-28,00.html

What an amazing talk. Gotta love Elder Holland. :D
An Eye Single
captain of 100

Postby Like » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:23 pm

I saw this post on the subject:
Denver Snuffer wrote: Men's hearts will fail them

Luke records Christ's first public sermon that occurred after His baptism, temptation, wedding and commencement of the public ministry. He read from Isaiah about the commission He had received from God to preach. (Luke 4: 17-19.) After reading the verses, He proclaimed that He was the fulfillment of those verses. (Luke 4: 20-21.)

He expounded on the verses adding that not only were they fulfilled, but He pressed on to explain how He would fulfill them in comments that were unrecorded. However, those who heard could not help but be persuaded at His gracious words. (Luke 4: 22.)

He moved from these verses in Isaiah to add His own prophecy about what they would eventually do to Him. You will tell me: "Physician, heal thyself," He added. (Luke 4: 23.) He will be asked by them to do miracles among them as He will do in Capernum, but they will not be given such a witness. He explains that not all of a prophet's works will be put to display before all people. That some will see Him, but only have the testimony of others to learn of His works. (Luke 4: 24-27.)

They were indignant at His comments. It filled them with wrath. They thought they should be given the same signs, the same proof, of His claim to Messiahship as He would put before others. (Luke 4: 28-29.) However, He explained to them that He would be without honor among those closest to Him. (Luke 4: 24.)

The attempt of the congregation to kill Him failed. He departed and went among more believing people, who heard Him speak with power from heaven. (Luke 4: 30-32.)

What an interesting commencement of His public ministry. Telling the truth among those unprepared to welcome Him did them no good, persuaded no-one of the truth, and resulted in His forced departure.

What can be said of those who would cast out of their congregation He who was greater than them all? They thought they were making a bold statement about their fidelity to their religious traditions, and holding fast to the truth. Instead, they were cutting themselves off from the lifeline sent to save them.

Irony is not a strong enough word to describe this singular scene. It would be repeated throughout Christ's ministry among the hierarchy and leadership of His day, ultimately culminating in His death at their hands. These were the only people who would kill their God. (2 Ne. 10: 3.) They were devout. They were misinformed. They were very religious, but entirely mistaken.

What happened on that first day of teaching was a microcosm of His entire ministry. It is often the case that those who regard themselves as the "most religious" and "most correct" are capable of missing the truth sent to them by the Lord. They prefer the Lord package the truth in one way, coupled with a written guarantee that the package will never fail them, while the Lord is always sending it in another, and requiring them to receive it when only their hearts can guide them into recognizing it. It is little wonder, then, that our day is when "men's hearts will fail them" because they fear, and trust not the things sent to them. (Luke 21: 26.)

Postby Chip » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:48 am

I've thought about this verse a lot lately. It seems to me that this is already shaping up to be - that men's hearts are failing them - because the specter of the future looks increasingly bleak and will not accommodate the usual ambitions. If you're into living the gospel, you're not so prone to this failure of heart, but if you only see your existence in this world, and you see the economy/government becoming too corrupted for new business ventures to succeed, the people being too deceived to change things, etc, then there is an ever-diminishing hope for improving your lot. All extrapolation leads to an abyss. I think this is what it means: Worldy ambitions are frustrated, terminally.
- Chip
Chip
captain of 100

Postby ready2prepare » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:56 am

Hi y'all:

Here's a little piece I wrote earlier this year that may be
relevant to this discussion:
http://prepperupper.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... pirit.html

Are YOU Prepared? Ask Your Heart...

Most people think of "preparedness" as a state of
    mind, a state of finances, or a state of readiness
    achieved through storing food and supplies for
    emergencies, Although all of these are important,
    preparedness is first and foremost a state of the heart.

We live today in an age of fear: fear of terrorism -
    fear of nuclear war - fear of business failure - fear
    of job loss and/or failed relationships - fear of another
    stock market crash - fear of having our privacy invaded
    - fear of drought, flood, climate change, environmental
    and natural disasters - fears for our safety and the
    safety of our children - and the list goes on.

You probably already know that fear is bad for the
    heart. It causes a rapid heartbeat which, over time,
    can make a weak heart fail. Even the Bible makes
    mention of "men's hearts failing them for fear"
    (Luke 21:26) in times like we see today.

Will all the knowledge, wealth, food and survival
    gear in the world really be of much use to someone
    whose heart is full of fear? I don't think so.

Maybe it's time to put first things first... to make
    the development of a strong, healthy heart the
    first priority in getting prepared for whatever the
    future may bring.

How much easier is it to learn what we need to
    learn, to work hard, earn money, and acquire
    whatever we need in order to survive hard times
    (whatever the cause) when our hearts are in
    good shape!

If you're sitting down, take a moment right now
    to check your pulse. Is it slow or rapid? What
    does that tell you about the current state of your
    heart? Are you satisfied with the results?

If not, consider this: Fear weakens the heart.
    Faith strengthens it.
    How strong is YOUR faith?
    Let your heart tell you. It knows...

Best Regards,
Sharon in Mississippi
ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Postby Dagnystar » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Immediately upon reading "mens hearts will fail them", I thought about this:

A lot of people are turned from the gospel, or never feel the need to investigate, because they feel that they have embraced (Christian) values without accepting religion. They are genuinely compassionate and caring, involved in their communities, and feel a deep exuberance for life (perhaps because they feel that the temporal axis is all that there is). So in a sense, their hearts--full of good intentions--fail them in the last days, because they identify the gospel with oh so many toxic institutionalized religions, thus rejecting Christ as their savior. (My family falls into this category. I'll totally elaborate if anyone is into it.)
Dagnystar
Hi, I'm new.

Postby Col. Flagg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

"Truth is in history, but history is not the truth." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby wolfman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:28 pm

D&C 88:9 - And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people. I have never interpreted this scripture to mean 'heart attacks.'
Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed.
wolfman
captain of 100

Return to Last Days / Signs of the Times