The Rules of Rulers: Why corruption is so prevalent in Society.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

The Rules of Rulers: Why corruption is so prevalent in Society.

Post by Durzan »

I was browsing youtube the other day, when I came across this interesting little video.
Curious, I hit play, and watched in fascination as the underlying structure of basically all forms of power was unfolded before me in a cute 20 minute video with stick figures plainly illustrating the point of the narrator in easy to understand terms; and you know what... it actually made quite a bit of sense!

I would recommend giving it a view if you have the patience and the time, but here's the TL;DW for those who don't (You should still watch it anyway :)) )

Rule 0: Without power, you cannot affect much of anything beyond your personal sphere of influence, and even that is limited.

Rule 1: You cannot have power of any kind without supporters. Supporters are the ones who enforce laws/regulations/policies, collect treasure, do the dirty work for you, etc. Key Supporters are those whose influence you absolutely need in order to gain power. Supporters do not do anything for free, so in order to gain their support, you have to give them something in return... IE treasure (Treasure in this case can be defined as anything that can be gained or obtained via power... this is most often money or influence, but can also be power itself, specific laws or orders, etc.).

Rule 2: Once you are in power, you effectively control the treasure directly, however, that is all you can control directly. Treasure is needed to achieve your goals whatever they may be, but regardless of exactly how much treasure you have at your disposal, it is a finite amount... so you have to spend it wisely. Your supporters were each promised a portion of your treasure (or with something else they wanted), so you are obligated to pay them, because if you do not, then they WILL withdraw their support and try to replace you. Remember that you cannot get anything done without help from Key Supporters.

Rule 3: You need to minimize the number of Key Supporters you have. More supporters means less treasure for every single one of them... and the more strained your expenses are going to be. So, you have to eliminate supporters in some form or fashion who are no longer useful to you. It also helps reduce the odds of rivals gaining significant power.

Note that these rules seem to apply to just about everything in this Telestial Sphere... wether it be in Business, Democracy, a Dictatorship, an organization, etc. They all seem to follow these rules... and if you break said rules, then you risk losing your power. THIS is why very little changes when a new political party comes to power, why so little seems to get done, and why there are a whole lot of other issues in our nation and in others...

BOOM! Mind Blown!
Last edited by Durzan on July 26th, 2017, 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: The Rules of Rulers: Why corruption is so prevalent in Society.

Post by freedomforall »

Durzan wrote: July 16th, 2017, 12:58 pm I was browsing youtube the other day, when I came across this interesting little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

(How do I embed this video?)
Click on my post and see how the video is embedded. Notice how the digits after the = are placed.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Helaman 5:2
2 For as their laws and their governments were established by the voice of the people, and they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction, for the laws had become corrupted.

Alma 40:13
13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

Alma 10:19
19 Yea, well did Mosiah say, who was our last king, when he was about to deliver up the kingdom, having no one to confer it upon, causing that this people should be governed by their own voices—yea, well did he say that if the time should come that the voice of this people should choose iniquity, that is, if the time should come that this people should fall into transgression, they would be ripe for destruction.

Mosiah 29:27
27 And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

In summery, it is corruption, lawlessness, choosing evil rather than good, and apathy of good people by doing very little to change it.

Our country is in dire trouble and closing in fast to being destroyed. Bad people tend to choose bad politicians in order for bad policies to rule the people. Good becomes bad and bad evil and many people eat this up and jump for joy.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

This is summed up in one verse in the BoM:
11 Now the people of Akish were desirous for gain, even as Akish was desirous for power; wherefore, the sons of Akish did offer them money, by which means they drew away the more part of the people after them.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Might I mention that I don't necessarily view the three rules as a bad thing in and of themselves? In order to help people, you need some amount of power... and power requires support from others in order to function (with the possible exception of God's Power). Those who support you have their own personal needs and desires, and since they are helping you, its only natural that you help them.

I see the 3 rules in action in all government, in all religions (including ours), and in businesses. Money and economics are joined to these three rules at the hip. Hence, the three rules govern society, and while they have been used for evil purposes, and probably will be, I can see much good has come from them as well.

Its a matter of perspective.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Christ had more power than can be imagined, yet he didn't go around telling people to join him. He used love and teaching truth that persuaded many to join him and follow. He also found it necessary to rebuke at times. To have power is NOT to have supporters, but to have people believe in a cause and come together in like mindedness. In other words, to be as one.
This is plan for the United Order, not a person dictating all the time, rather, having all people coming together in like mindedness, doing for one another and receiving from one another, all being equal.
Christ, when he comes, will exercise his power to destroy the wicked because they will have earned this fate, because they chose not to follow Christian law and allowed Satan to become their leader.
Each of us have power to keep him (Lucifer) from wrapping his chains around us and to walk the path of righteousness, thus allowing Christ's power to envelop us in the arms of safety. Now that's power!

The way I see it, those other three rules do not apply to righteous living and heavenly aspirations.

Without Christ's influence and power in our lives, some of us end up corrupt and exercising evil power.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

freedomforall wrote: July 17th, 2017, 11:48 pm Christ had more power than can be imagined, yet he didn't go around telling people to join him. He used love and teaching truth that persuaded many to join him and follow. He also found it necessary to rebuke at times. To have power is NOT to have supporters, but to have people believe in a cause and come together in like mindedness. In other words, to be as one.
This is plan for the United Order, not a person dictating all the time, rather, having all people coming together in like mindedness, doing for one another and receiving from one another, all being equal.
Christ, when he comes, will exercise his power to destroy the wicked because they will have earned this fate, because they chose not to follow Christian law and allowed Satan to become their leader.
Each of us have power to keep him (Lucifer) from wrapping his chains around us and to walk the path of righteousness, thus allowing Christ's power to envelop us in the arms of safety. Now that's power!

The way I see it, those other three rules do not apply to righteous living and heavenly aspirations.

Without Christ's influence and power in our lives, some of us end up corrupt and exercising evil power.
I already mentioned that God is probably the only real exception to the rule... and even then you could make the argument that even God follows these 3 rules... The intelligence that makes up matter willingly follow God, and he rewards them for their efforts by granting them greater spheres of progression. If literally all the intelligences that make up the matter that God organizes all refuse to follow him, then does God have any real power apart from his vast knowledge and intellect (Rule 1)? God keeps and honors his covenants (Rule 2). The Elimination of unnecessary supporters is probably the only rule that God probably doesn't need to follow... however, the casting out of Satan and his minions COULD be interpreted as a valid application of rule 3.

That being said, even to the righteous the rules apply, again with the possible exception of the third. All that really changes is what your supporters want, and how you go about gaining support. Service could be viewed as a reasonable form of giving or receiving influence (influence infused by love, I might add), and might even be considered as Treasure for the rules, as is the desire to help others.

Now then, I'm gonna put the break on this line of thought here, as it will take us no where useful: This conversation is supposed to be taken from a more academic perspective than a religious one, so lets focus on how the rules apply to our current fallen world. Power, in the earthly sense, revolves around having influence with others. How that influence is earned, who it is used with, or for how and what it is applied for is irrelevant to the rules themselves.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

supporter
an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate.

adherent
a person who follows or upholds a leader, cause, etc.; supporter; follower.

follower
a person who follows another in regard to his or her ideas or belief; disciple or adherent.

backer
a person who supports or aids a person, cause, enterprise, etc.

advocate
a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc

So according to your rules, what type of supporter is inferred? One type supports in word and another supports by aid or monetary help.

Supporters..........ambiguous to say the least.

Supporters of mayhem who flock together and do everything they can to thwart Trump in every possible way are supporters of evil doers, ie, the Left and corrupt Dems, all, of whom, support Soros.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

freedomforall wrote: July 19th, 2017, 10:18 pm supporter

adherent

follower
a person who follows another in regard to his or her ideas or belief; disciple or adherent.

backer

advocate

So according to your rules, what type of supporter is inferred? One type supports in word and another supports by aid or monetary help.
A very apt contribution and question, my friend. While at first glance it would appear that the type of supporter inferred by the rules is the kind that supports via aid or monetary help, in reality it refers to both. Why? Because someone who supports by word is really someone who supports by aid. Just by declaring their support for someone, they are lending their own personal influence (or power) to aid that person... therefore the distinction between the types of supporters is really just arguing semantics.

If someone just supports someone via word, but has no influence, and otherwise does nothing to help the person they say they are supporting (IE, voting for the person they support, trying to convince their peers to vote for the same person, and so on and so forth), then are they REALLY a supporter or a Key Supporter? Probably not.

(Side note: They 3 rules are not really mine... rather they are the rules defined by the creator of the video;I was merely summarizing the video in short terms to allow for an easier conversation. Either way, the rules are more akin to the scientific definition of natural laws... IE the rules are established to describe what appears to be a natural phenomena rather than rules that we can disobey. In this case, the 3 rules describe the general trends of how social/political/economic power works in this world.)

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

adherent

follower

backer

advocate

Supporters of mayhem who flock together and do everything they can to thwart Trump in every possible way are supporters of evil doers, ie, the Left and corrupt Dems, all, of whom, support Soros.
If those are terms for supporters, I'm curious how you define "emissary"? Emissary is in a lot of people's blessings. But I've been trying to figure out what that means? Is emissary a pawn or a bishop? or a rook?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gardener4life wrote: July 29th, 2017, 3:38 am

adherent

follower

backer

advocate

If those are terms for supporters, I'm curious how you define "emissary"? Emissary is in a lot of people's blessings. But I've been trying to figure out what that means? Is emissary a pawn or a bishop? or a rook?
An emissary may be construed as a radical supporter out to gain more support and telling people things so they may join whatever cause is at hand. We have many, many emissaries in government, and troublesome citizens divulging information to government officials so they can spy on people and worse.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

freedomforall wrote: July 29th, 2017, 11:53 am
gardener4life wrote: July 29th, 2017, 3:38 am

adherent

follower

backer

advocate

An emissary may be construed as a radical supporter out to gain more support and telling people things so they may join whatever cause is at hand. We have many, many emissaries in government, and troublesome citizens divulging information to government officials so they can spy on people and worse.
The term Emissary simply means to be a representative... which does mean that they would be a supporter of some kind. However, it would be inaccurate to state that emissaries are generally radicals.