Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
simpleton
captain of 1,000

Re: Jesus Married to Mary Magdalene

Post by simpleton »

Luke 10-38
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

How about this interesting little tidbit. Since when is it appropriate to go into a woman's house and then get into the middle of a little domestic squabble?
Unless? Hmmmmmm, could it be?
I await reaction. :ymhug:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Older/wiser? wrote: April 17th, 2017, 11:28 pm I read that years ago also. The one by Vern Grosvernor Swanson is very well documented read it on line then decide if it is worth it to you , cause $50. is $50 to much for something you don't really like.
I did try to find a Google version to read for free, but couldn't find it. Maybe I'll do a general online search for it.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

simpleton wrote: April 18th, 2017, 6:07 am Luke 10-38
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

How about this interesting little tidbit. Since when is it appropriate to go into a woman's house and then get into the middle of a little domestic squabble?
Unless? Hmmmmmm, could it be?
I await reaction. :ymhug:

But Martha was preoccupied with serving everyone. Seeing that Mary was being idle, just sitting at Jesus' feet, listening to him instead of helping her (Martha) in the kitchen, Martha came to him, and said, "Dear bil, dost thou not care that your wife hath left me to serve alone? Since you're her husband and, in this society, she should do what you tell her to do, bid her therefore that she help me."

And Jesus answered and said unto her, "Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. And you should also chill out, and sit here and listen and learn, also, dear sil."

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

simpleton wrote: April 18th, 2017, 12:51 am Let's reverse this thinking that for Jesus to be married it is lowering Himself to mankind's lowly carnalistic standards.. wrong wrong wrong, and that idea and concept comes from Catholicism... I look at it completely opposite, for Him to be married was progression and advancement and eternal. It is amazing to me how much false traditions still hold sway in Mormonism, or rather amongst Mormons, Jesus being married was common knowledge among the early latter day saints. I run across it here and there all through different old time biographies...
Where do we come from? Our Father in heaven is married, to our Mother in heaven and we were conceived by them in heaven... as we are taught that things on earth are a likeness of things in heaven...
Jesus set the perfect example in all things, including marriage ... If He was not married then what are we doing? If He was truly not married then I am renouncing Mormonism and joining the Catholic church and kicking out my wife and becoming a monk. @-) If He was not married then He did not fulfil the measure of His creation. I will not worship a celibate.
But each person has a God givin right to believe how they want. ;)
Another aspect to this is how so many elevate Jesus above Heavenly Father by saying He was too holy for marriage and even elevate Jesus above themselves while considering the process of becoming a God the Father yourself somehow does not elevate you above God the Son. You have to become a Son before you can become a Father. When you do, to whom will you appear first?

D&C 93 12 And I, John, saw that he received not of the fulness at the first, but received grace for grace;
13 And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness;
14 And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first.

20 For if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fulness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

How does the Apostle Paul fit into this equation? He was of the tribe of Benjamin and had a reputation for having been most devout. He also describes himself as single. Apparently, the Lord does not require that one marry in this life to be considered a righteous man or woman. If they don't marry, but still live a chaste life, they will be given another 1,000 years during the Millennium in which to find and commit to an eternal companion.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Matchmaker wrote: April 19th, 2017, 5:32 am How does the Apostle Paul fit into this equation? He was of the tribe of Benjamin and had a reputation for having been most devout. He also describes himself as single. Apparently, the Lord does not require that one marry in this life to be considered a righteous man or woman. If they don't marry, but still live a chaste life, they will be given another 1,000 years during the Millennium in which to find and commit to an eternal companion.
Yes, apostle Paul was very dedicated to Jesus Christ and to the salvation of his fellow man. He is what I call a real man, that had an eye single to the glory of God.
And he even talks a little about how if your love of a woman distracts you from God, then better to be single. But better to marry than to burn. (We won't discuss that.)
Look at society, it's all about me me me and getting that presumably " perfectly" built woman.

Whereas men's first love should be Christ and His Kingdom, and be dedicated thereto. And women should be dedicated to their husband and that cause.
Even the eunuch is mentioned in the scriptures as having excellent standing if he is dedicated to God:

Isaiah 56:
"For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off".

Matt. 6:
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Added? IE; Wives, children, lands, possessions, worlds without end etc.
So was Jesus married?, absolutely no doubt in my mind. As, if anyone was dedicated to our Father and His kingdom it was Christ, and if He fulfilled the measure of His creation/kingdom it would include eternal life and eternal increase.
And if He set the " perfect " example it would also include the perfect example of being a husband and a father. At least in my book anyways. :)

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Matchmaker wrote: April 19th, 2017, 5:32 am How does the Apostle Paul fit into this equation? He was of the tribe of Benjamin and had a reputation for having been most devout. He also describes himself as single. Apparently, the Lord does not require that one marry in this life to be considered a righteous man or woman. If they don't marry, but still live a chaste life, they will be given another 1,000 years during the Millennium in which to find and commit to an eternal companion.
[/quote

The apostle Paul certainly does not fit into this contrived equation, and though past 30, he was also very likely a rabbi ( rabbis after the order of Gamaliel often learned the art of tentmaking) Moroni does not fit into it either, when he bemoans the fact that he has no friends nor kinsman, yet does not mention a wife. And what about Lazarus for whom only sisters seem to mourn? And what about JS vision where he saw Alvin in the CK?

There is no place in the scriptural records where Jesus is declared to be married. Just because he associated with women offers no proof of a marital relationship. Imagine the confusion if we conducted our temple work in this sloppy fashion, sealing everyone together who were mentioned in the same story? Or accepted spurious documents? Doing so only creates confusion, like the supposed genealogy that declared Charlemagne of descendant of Jesus Christ . It is not as if every King that came along didn't had a similiar type of geneology made up for him. If he was Greek, he claimed to descend from a Greek God, an Egyptian Pharough claimed descent from an Egyptian God, the Chinese Emperor claimed Chinese Gods for his ancestors, and even the more modern day Emperor Hirohito of Japan claimed descendence from a Japanese God. Monarchs all over Europe, especially Great Britain, claimed to descend from David. These made up genealogies gave them the supposed "divine right to be King". If we want to give credence to that, we had better apologize to Great Britain for the Revolutionary war and submit ourselves to British monarchial rule, because after all, supposedly they sit on the throne of David!

We have to have some order here, don't you think, Matchmaker, and therefore to state someone was married requires a legal or other kind of evidence that holds up in a court of law. A scrap of paper from a supposed gospel of Thomas will not do, neither will circumstantial evidence, stuff Josephus said, etc etc. You have to have legal proof. Otherwise, it is just something that is "believed". I have wondered, since Jesus being married has NOTHING to do with anyone's personal salvation, why this is so very important to some people, and what good they think it does them? It reminds me of gospel hobbying, which can lead to apostasy.

We gain more light and truth by being obedient and receptive to what we already have, not by reading weird off the wall stuff like the Davinci Code.

What do you think, Matchmaker?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

passionflower wrote: April 19th, 2017, 12:13 pm
[/quote

The apostle Paul certainly does not fit into this contrived equation, and though past 30, he was also very likely a rabbi ( rabbis after the order of Gamaliel often learned the art of tentmaking) Moroni does not fit into it either, when he bemoans the fact that he has no friends nor kinsman, yet does not mention a wife. And what about Lazarus for whom only sisters seem to mourn? And what about JS vision where he saw Alvin in the CK?

There is no place in the scriptural records where Jesus is declared to be married. Just because he associated with women offers no proof of a marital relationship. Imagine the confusion if we conducted our temple work in this sloppy fashion, sealing everyone together who were mentioned in the same story? Or accepted spurious documents? Doing so only creates confusion, like the supposed genealogy that declared Charlemagne of descendant of Jesus Christ . It is not as if every King that came along didn't had a similiar type of geneology made up for him. If he was Greek, he claimed to descend from a Greek God, an Egyptian Pharough claimed descent from an Egyptian God, the Chinese Emperor claimed Chinese Gods for his ancestors, and even the more modern day Emperor Hirohito of Japan claimed descendence from a Japanese God. Monarchs all over Europe, especially Great Britain, claimed to descend from David. These made up genealogies gave them the supposed "divine right to be King". If we want to give credence to that, we had better apologize to Great Britain for the Revolutionary war and submit ourselves to British monarchial rule, because after all, supposedly they sit on the throne of David!

We have to have some order here, don't you think, Matchmaker, and therefore to state someone was married requires a legal or other kind of evidence that holds up in a court of law. A scrap of paper from a supposed gospel of Thomas will not do, neither will circumstantial evidence, stuff Josephus said, etc etc. You have to have legal proof. Otherwise, it is just something that is "believed". I have wondered, since Jesus being married has NOTHING to do with anyone's personal salvation, why this is so very important to some people, and what good they think it does them? It reminds me of gospel hobbying, which can lead to apostasy.

We gain more light and truth by being obedient and receptive to what we already have, not by reading weird off the wall stuff like the Davinci Code.

What do you think, Matchmaker?
Certainly nobody can claim definitively that Jesus was married. I think most people acknowledge that it is speculation. However, on the other hand, it shouldn't be offensive to think that Jesus Christ was married and that he made love with his wife or even wives.

When I was first introduced to the idea that Jesus may have been married and may have had a wife and all that this idea implies, I was very surprised and did not initially believe that such a thing could be right. Now that I look back on why I didn't believe it, the main reason why is because I believed that sex was sinful. Or, I had an idea of sex being very carnal and that sex was somehow beneath something that a God would engage in. In short, my beliefs about sex and how sex was bad and not divine is what caused me to reject this notion initially.

As I've gotten older and as my understanding and feelings towards sex have changed, so has my initial reaction to Jesus being married changed. I no longer see sex as being bad or not divine and so I have no reason to be actively against the idea of Jesus being married. It isn't offensive to me, it doesn't take anything away from Jesus, it doesn't lessen His role, neither does it lessen His divinity.

Although there is nothing definitive the prove that Jesus married, it would not surprise me and in fact to me it makes sense that He would be. It fact the idea increases my appreciation for Jesus and it increases my faith in Him and it allows me to relate to Him better.

-Finrock

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Yeah, Finrock, that is all I am really saying here. Show me some real proof, and I will be convinced Jesus was married to whoever the proof says he was.

I do not have sexual objections to Jesus being married, though, I have historical and culture-of-the-day reasons for not believing Jesus could not have been married, that is at least very convincing to me, and of which both the Bible and BOM back up. This was a very different world back then in the middle east, and those differences need to be respected by any honest seeker after truth. There are some really good solid reasons why Jesus could not have been married before he died at the age of 33. These reasons open up the scriptures in many ways and help us understand things like why there were so many widows around, including Mary, why only the woman brought to Jesus was accused of adultery( not the man), how come the wife of Herod had changed husbands, and so many other things, etc etc including Jesus' own very mysterious statement on marraige. The truth of this shed great light on our understanding and grants so much in the way of intellectual that you just wouldn't believe. I just don't see how I can sacrifice all that to hold onto some emotionally hyped up idea that Jesus was married for no other reason than just because.

Unfortunately, there have been Institute teachers and other LDS writers who have used bogus and biased "research" ( if you could even call it that ) to claim the NT shows Jesus was married. I have seen it, and to look at it or listen just not only lowers your IQ, but goes to prove how gullible LDS people are. They believe stuff like this without questioning it for the same reason Utah is the scam capitol of the nation. No respectable scholar would ever except the way some of these authors and teachers have strung things together to convince you and I that Jesus was a married man.

Thanks Finrock for hearing me out.

I am not telling anybody else what to believe, just saying where I am coming from on it.

We should be on equal grounds when it comes to what we believe, right?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

No one of us has any definitive proof whether Jesus was married while living in this telestial world or not. As was said above, it doesn't matter to our salvation or exaltation and shouldn't become a source of contention. We'll all know the answer in due time, along with the answers to many of the other mysteries. Peace and love.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I thought Paul was a widower.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Silver Pie wrote: April 20th, 2017, 11:37 pm
I was not aware there was any evidence of that.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Likewise, apostle Orson Hyde remarked:

I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children.

All that I have to say in reply to that charge is this—they worship a Savior that is too pure and holy to fulfil the commands of his Father. I worship one that is just pure and holy enough "to fulfil all righteousness;" not only the righteous law of baptism, but the still more righteous and important law "to multiply and replenish the earth." Startle not at this! for even the Father himself honored that law by coming down to Mary, without a natural body, and begetting a son; and if Jesus begat children, he only "did that which he had seen his Father do"...

Jeremiah M Grant: JD 1

Pass on still farther in their history, and look at their course and conduct, if you will believe the writers that lived in that age. What does old Celsus say, who was a physician in the first century, whose medical works are esteemed very highly at the present time. His works on theology were burned with fire by the Catholics, they were so shocked at what they called their impiety Celsus was a heathen philosopher; and what does he say upon the subject of Christ and his Apostles, and their belief? He says, "The grand reason why the Gentiles and philosophers of his school persecuted Jesus Christ, was, because he had so many wives; there were Elizabeth, and Mary, and a host of others that followed him." After Jesus went from the stage of action, the Apostles followed the example of their master. For instance, John the beloved disciple, writes in his second Epistle, "Unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth," Again, he says, "Having many things to write unto you (or communicate), I would not, write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you; and speak face to face, that our joy may be

full." Again—"The children of thy elect sister greet thee." This ancient philosopher says they were both John's wives. Paul says, "Mine answer to them that do examine me is this:—.

Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas." He, according to Celsus, had a numerous train of wives.

The grand reason of the burst of public sentiment in anathemas upon Christ and his disciples, causing his crucifixion, was evidently based upon polygamy, according to the testimony of the philosophers who rose in that age. A belief in the doctrine of a plurality of wives caused the persecution of Jesus and his followers. We might almost think they were "Mormons."

Another founding member of the Twelve and polygamist, Apostle Orson Pratt, taught the plural marriage of the Son of God. In his work entitled, The Seer, Pratt argued along the same lines as Hyde for the plural marriage of the Son on the basis of the resurrection appearance of the Son to one of his wives, Mary Magdalene. Pratt wrote,
Next let us inquire whether there are any intimations in the Scriptures concerning the wives of Jesus. . . . In order to become the Father of Spirits, or, as Isaiah says, ?The Everlasting Father,? it is necessary that He should have one or more wives by whom He could multiply His seed, not for any limited period of time, but forever and ever. . . . One thing is certain: that there were several holy women who greatly loved Jesus--such as Mary, and Martha her sister, and Mary Magdalene; and Jesus greatly loved them and associated with them much; and when He arose from the dead, instead of first showing Himself to His chosen witnesses, the Apostles, He appeared first to these women, or at least to one of them--namely, Mary Magdalene. Now, it would be very natural for a husband in the resurrection to appear first to his own dear wives, and afterwards show himself to his other friends.[20]
Apostle Pratt also offered a unique argument for the marriage of the Son from the Psalms. He taught that Jesus must have been married in order to fulfill the Messianic Psalm 45: 8-10.[21] The Apostle wrote,
If all the acts of Jesus were written, we no doubt should learn that these beloved women were his wives. Indeed, the Psalmist David prophesies in particular concerning the Wives of the Son of God. . . . ?Kings? daughters were among thine honorable WIVES: upon thy right hand did stand the QUEEN in a vesture of gold of Ophir.?[22]
After an extensive argument in The Seer, Apostle Orson Pratt concluded that both the Father and the Son had multiple wives. He wrote,
We have now clearly shown that God the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits, as well as the spirit of Jesus His First Born, and another being upon the earth by whom He begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as His Only Begotten in this world. We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings? daughters and many honorable Wives were to be married.

Summary of LDS Comments on the Marital and Parental Status of the Son of God
In sum, five high-ranking LDS authorities affirmed the plural marriage of the Son. The five include Orson Hyde, Orson Pratt, Jedediah M. Grant, Joseph F. Smith and Joseph Fielding Smith. Four of the five were apostles at the time of their remarks and two of the five ascended to the presidency of the Church. Jedediah M. Grant was not an apostle at the time of his remarks but was ordained as an apostle and appointed to the First Presidency soon afterward.

Three of the five authorities also affirmed that the Son sired children in the flesh while the other two were silent on the Son?s fatherhood. The three include Orson Hyde, Jedediah M. Grant and Joseph F. Smith. All but one of these five high-ranking LDS authorities publicly taught these doctrines in official contexts. Only Joseph Fielding Smith refrained from teaching these doctrines publicly, presumably to minimize the ridicule from non-Mormons. Additionally, there is no evidence that any LDS authority has ever officially repudiated or rejected the teachings of Hyde, Pratt, Grant, Joseph F. Smith, and Joseph Fielding Smith on the marital and parental status of the Son.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Matthew 26: 12–13 elucidates that Mary of Bethany performed this portion of the Second Anointing for her own husband before His death:

For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

These scriptures do not describe merely an act of “hero worship”, but a demonstration of an intimate and sacred ordinance taking place between the Savior and His wife! This offers us a clear understanding as to why His love for this particular woman was so great.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

simpleton, How many wives do you have ?

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Elizabeth wrote: April 21st, 2017, 4:52 am simpleton, How many wives do you have ?
One and only one, but she is not just any woman she is a very good woman, a woman that is chaste and virtuous and kind and loving and very charitable to others. A much better woman than I am a man. A woman that I verily believe will be lifted up at the last day because of her fidelity and dedication to God, her children,(14) her husband and mankind....

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

To be honest, I don't remember where I got that idea. I suspect from the NT itself, or some class I was in (institute, Sunday School).
Matchmaker wrote: April 21st, 2017, 4:28 am
Silver Pie wrote: April 20th, 2017, 11:37 pm
I was not aware there was any evidence of that.

Moon1943
captain of 100

Post by Moon1943 »

Bgood wrote: July 13th, 2015, 9:57 pm