Amazing Cough Remedy - 500X better than cough syrup :)

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Kitkat
captain of 100

Amazing Cough Remedy - 500X better than cough syrup :)

Post by Kitkat »

So my kids love the app "Fruit Ninja" and it always give them cool facts about fruit in between their epic battles and this one came up

Raw pineapple Juice is 500X more effective than cough syrup

So this winter I tried it. My 6 year old daughter was keeping her siblings up at night (and me and herself) with her coughing, so I said, "Where's the pineapple juice?"

I opened a can of pineapple chucks and strained the juice and had her sip it. I kid you not - it was instant - NO MORE COUGHING!

We tried the processed kind from the store and it doesn't work, but just drain the juice out of a can of pineapple and you will have a great nights rest. This is seriously a miracle remedy for coughing! She slept all night. I have used it all week and it works amazing.

So, your welcome... :D

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Amazing Cough Remedy - 500X better than cough syrup :)

Post by JohnnyL »

Kitkat wrote:So my kids love the app "Fruit Ninja" and it always give them cool facts about fruit in between their epic battles and this one came up

Raw pineapple Juice is 500X more effective than cough syrup

So this winter I tried it. My 6 year old daughter was keeping her siblings up at night (and me and herself) with her coughing, so I said, "Where's the pineapple juice?"

I opened a can of pineapple chucks and strained the juice and had her sip it. I kid you not - it was instant - NO MORE COUGHING!

We tried the processed kind from the store and it doesn't work, but just drain the juice out of a can of pineapple and you will have a great nights rest. This is seriously a miracle remedy for coughing! She slept all night. I have used it all week and it works amazing.

So, your welcome... :D
Sweet! :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Whoa, this is kind of amazing if it is true. You're just draining the juice from the can and is that what would work best? Isn't that just sugar water for the most part? How would the can juice compare to actually squeezing the juice from a pineapple and using that? Interesting experiment to try. Thanks for the tip, it should come in handy.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I found this here: http://www.preventdisease.com/news/14/0 ... yrup.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As part of their studies, they discovered that a mixture of raw pineapple juice, pepper, salt and honey given to patients every day helped to dissolve the mucus in the lungs.

In a subsequent study, research found that raw extracts from pineapple could decrease mucus five times faster than over-the-counter cough syrups. Patients recovered 4.8 times faster and exhibited a decrease in all symptoms related to coughing, especially hacking.

Most of us do not need additional sugar in our diets, so look only for natural unsweetened pineapple juice and stay away from canned. If you can juice the pineapple yourself, that would be far superior to any store bought.

Pineapple Cough Suppressant Recipe
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece of ginger (about 3 inches)
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and take 1/4 cup, 2-3 x/day and repeat recipe daily.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

I'm sure squeezing the juice from an actual pineapple would be best. My daughter actually really dislikes the pineapple juice, so I mixed it with oj and it still worked amazing. She literally only took 2 or 3 baby sips of my mixture and it stopped the coughing. Best thing I have learned all year!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Kitkat! Some benefits from pineapple can only come from raw pineapple, so I'm glad to know this works from canned as well. I'd better pick some up at the store next time I'm there. I don't keep pineapple on hand but I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity to use this.

seekingtruth
captain of 50

Post by seekingtruth »

Thanks! It's timely as me and my whole family have been hacking away for a week!

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

http://www.naturalnews.com/054259_cough ... edies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here is more info on the pineapple juice remedy.

Since we were on the ACV topic from another thread, ACV with raw honey in warm water has done amazing things for my coughs as well. I have never tried the pineapple juice thing but am sure too.

Another good one that has worked well is Onion juice. You take an onion and slice it up. You then layer the onion with raw honey in a glass bowl. In a couple of hours, the onion will sweat and produce a 'juice'. It is not bad tasting at all. My kids will take it. The honey makes it sweet. A spoonful every hour as needed until a cough calms. (store in fridge)

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

5tev3 wrote:I found this here: http://www.preventdisease.com/news/14/0 ... yrup.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As part of their studies, they discovered that a mixture of raw pineapple juice, pepper, salt and honey given to patients every day helped to dissolve the mucus in the lungs.

In a subsequent study, research found that raw extracts from pineapple could decrease mucus five times faster than over-the-counter cough syrups. Patients recovered 4.8 times faster and exhibited a decrease in all symptoms related to coughing, especially hacking.

Most of us do not need additional sugar in our diets, so look only for natural unsweetened pineapple juice and stay away from canned. If you can juice the pineapple yourself, that would be far superior to any store bought.

- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

I just tried this recipe with a few changes. I used the canned juice as kitkat recommended, and I used minced ginger from a tube. Not as bad as I thought it would be. tasted like spicy pineapple. The honey defiantly helped sweeten it up a bit. So far no cough. I will take more before bed and let you know the final verdict in the morning.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

As a side benefit they are finding that cayenne pepper is a very effective cancer killer.

http://m.jnci.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... /1263.full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I'm going to say that it worked. Definately better than any cough syrup I have ever used.

Great find.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

It just gets better...

Pineapple juice can help with hay-fever and asthma. I don't suffer from either of these things, but I will vouch for it's power helping my daughter sleep. I knew it was not the placebo effect either because none my other home remedies worked for her :)

http://www.curejoy.com/content/pineappl ... for-cough/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mucolytic Effects To Ease Coughs And Wheezing

If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchial asthma, an acute attack can cause wheezing and coughing when your bronchioles are blocked with excess mucus production. Research has hinted at the mucolytic benefits of pineapple juice. It can help enhance mucolysis and the expelling of mucus (also called expectoration). It also causes stringy mucus typical of COPD and bronchial asthma to be diluted, helping you overcome a bout of illness.6
Clearing Out Your Sinus Problem Or Hay Fever

If you suffer from a stuffy nose and cough due to hay fever or sinus problems, bromelain could come to your rescue. Its action as an anti-inflammatory, a decongestant, and a natural antihistamine helps provide you that much needed relief when you’re bogged down by the stuffiness and heavy-headedness of these problems.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

5tev3 wrote:I found this here: http://www.preventdisease.com/news/14/0 ... yrup.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

You could steep that mixture in some dried horehound it there's an accompanying sore throat.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Amazing! Bumping this because we had to use it last night on our 6 year old. It really works...instantly!

All I did was drain a can of pineapple and have my daughter drink the juice, and no more coughing at night, not once (slept right by me) and she was in coughing fits endlessly before. It took her some convincing as she thought pineapple juice would be incredibly yucky (and she is our most sweet quote unquote personality when it comes to stubbornness).
Last edited by Kitkat on March 27th, 2017, 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Just finished a week of the croup... Pineapple juice and just plain raw pineapple wins for sure. Our kids now eat raw pineapple, drink pineapple juice - it kept them from coughing fits, helped break up the icky congestion in the chest and they slept peacefully (I think the pepper and salt, both organic and raw in the bone broth soup they all love now has helped as well with breaking up the congestion).

Looking back as well, hubby said his mother seemed to never have a cold. She ate pineapple like it was candy, along with other natural non Monsantoed GMO foods, spices, peppers, etc. she rarely was sick...

TEETH
On another note, my daughter's teeth (she is 1 and 1/2 yrs old) are showing signs of healing beautifully (will have same dentist check them again in about a month and return to report) thanks to consistent daily cod-liver oil, raw milk (expensive!) and bone broth soup (24-hours chicken bone broth, potatoes, chicken, carrots, peas, corn, celery, salt, pepper, etc) and keeping her off of processed foods and sugars.

It's like her little spirit knows it is good for her too. She lays down each day without a fit at all and says, take my medicine (full raw cod liver from a medicine dropper) and swallows with pride clapping and all. No gagging? from the bad taste? What a trooper! We are sold, her teeth are going from chalky with holes to glossy and whiter as each day passes. We can see the holes are slowly but surely filling up and covering with what looks like a layer of white-transparent enamel. She no longer complains when she or we brush her front teeth.

Trying to snap photos when she is sleeping. Lighting is an issue.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Kitkat wrote: March 27th, 2017, 7:31 am Just finished a week of the croup... Pineapple juice and just plain raw pineapple wins for sure. Our kids now eat raw pineapple, drink pineapple juice - it kept them from coughing fits, helped break up the icky congestion in the chest and they slept peacefully (I think the pepper and salt, both organic and raw in the bone broth soup they all love now has helped as well with breaking up the congestion).

Looking back as well, hubby said his mother seemed to never have a cold. She ate pineapple like it was candy, along with other natural non Monsantoed GMO foods, spices, peppers, etc. she rarely was sick...

TEETH
On another note, my daughter's teeth (she is 1 and 1/2 yrs old) are showing signs of healing beautifully (will have same dentist check them again in about a month and return to report) thanks to consistent daily cod-liver oil, raw milk (expensive!) and bone broth soup (24-hours chicken bone broth, potatoes, chicken, carrots, peas, corn, celery, salt, pepper, etc) and keeping her off of processed foods and sugars.

It's like her little spirit knows it is good for her too. She lays down each day without a fit at all and says, take my medicine (full raw cod liver from a medicine dropper) and swallows with pride clapping and all. No gagging? from the bad taste? What a trooper! We are sold, her teeth are going from chalky with holes to glossy and whiter as each day passes. We can see the holes are slowly but surely filling up and covering with what looks like a layer of white-transparent enamel. She no longer complains when she or we brush her front teeth.

Trying to snap photos when she is sleeping. Lighting is an issue.
I don't know where you buy your raw milk. I've started buying mine at the Utah Natural Meat & Milk store in West Jordan. It's $9 per gallon but the benefit is that they get their milk from Jersey cows. It is soooo creamy! I would say it is typically 1/4 to 1/3 cream. The benefit of that is that, not only do you get all the benefits of nutrition and whatnot from the fat, it fills you up so you eat less other things. It helps reduce cravings for unhealthy snacks. I go up every two months or so, buy a whole lot of their milk, and freeze it in small containers.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

On the subject of raw milk:
We take turns milking a cow with two other families. Last night we milked three gallons from her (and she is milked twice a day). That one cow provides milk for three families, to an excess, and we are heavy milk drinkers. If y'all know someone with facilities that could house a cow, it may be a wise investment for a few families to go in on a cow and start a milk share. :-?

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

SmallFarm wrote: March 29th, 2017, 10:34 am On the subject of raw milk:
We take turns milking a cow with two other families. Last night we milked three gallons from her (and she is milked twice a day). That one cow provides milk for three families, to an excess, and we are heavy milk drinkers. If y'all know someone with facilities that could house a cow, it may be a wise investment for a few families to go in on a cow and start a milk share. :-?
Sheesh! That would be an awesome idea. Buying it is so expensive. I call it white gold :D I follow my kids around to make sure they don't waste it...

shashank16997
Hi, I'm new.

Post by shashank16997 »

IF you baby is suffering from croup then follow the natural treatment for croup as given below.

Lemon Juice
Honey
Sponge Bath
Lavender Oil Massage
Ginger
Prevent Dehydration

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Kitkat wrote: March 27th, 2017, 7:31 am Just finished a week of the croup... Pineapple juice and just plain raw pineapple wins for sure. Our kids now eat raw pineapple, drink pineapple juice - it kept them from coughing fits, helped break up the icky congestion in the chest and they slept peacefully (I think the pepper and salt, both organic and raw in the bone broth soup they all love now has helped as well with breaking up the congestion).

So where does one buy non-GMO pineapple in the US?