Former LDS churches converted into homes

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Sasquatch
captain of 50

Former LDS churches converted into homes

Post by Sasquatch »

In the past, I've thought about how cool it would be to live in a former church. Turns out some people are actually living my dream.

http://www.ldsliving.com/How-Some-LDS-C ... es/s/82642

Do you know any former churches (LDS or otherwise) that have been turned into homes or otherwise repurposed?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Former LDS churches converted into homes

Post by Elizabeth »

Yes I know of many beautiful sandstone Christian Churches with stain glass windows and others of solid real wood to which this has unfortunately happened. Such a shame to see such evidence of the decline of Christianity.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I nearly bought a converted Methodist chapel once. They make excellent homes.

There is a Primitive Methodist chapel for sale in my village at the moment.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

I taught a kid the missionary discussions in an old LDS church in Idaho. His parents had bought the church some years before. The classrooms were bedrooms, the chapel was a living room, it still had the dias across one end. The two boys I met both played highschool basketball. the gym was there with the basketball hoops but it looked like the floor had been ruined by a leaky roof, or maybe warped because the space wasn't heated during the winter. It was a shame. I don't remember ever seeing the kitchen.

harv
captain of 10

Post by harv »

NO.. There quite a few churches converted to homes in the UK. There is a church that looks to be a medium sized Anglican church with it's inside converted into apartments in Manchester, England.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I would love to buy an old LDS church building and convert it into a home. Not the ones built since the early 1960s, though. They are way too large for me. (Now, maybe an apartment house . . . Yeah, I could get one for that.)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I don't recall if I saw it on tv or on the internet but some time ago there was a musician, a "rock n roller" who had bought a wooden chapel in West Virginia or Tenn or GA or such. He had all his guitars set out where the pulpit was. I don't think he lived in it, maybe he lived nearby. I think he used if for recital practice hall. He had been in a successful band previously so I guess he had money.
dc

Oh, it wasn't LDS. I think southern Baptist, maybe.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Sasquatch wrote: February 15th, 2017, 3:33 amIn the past, I've thought about how cool it would be to live in a former church. Turns out some people are actually living my dream.
http://www.ldsliving.com/How-Some-LDS-C ... es/s/82642
Oh hey, the first one is that article (in Preston, Idaho) is actually my wife's cousin's home.