Best way to sell off-grid home

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
spiceflour
Hi, I'm new.

Best way to sell off-grid home

Post by spiceflour »

My Dad built his dream home in Montezuma Canyon near Monticello,UT. He died, so I am trying to find a like-minded off-grid person who would be interested in purchasing it. It is a 7200 s.f. lodge with a brick oven, beside modern oven/stove. There are 160 mature fruit bearing trees, two green houses and 36 acres. It was his dream to make a self-sufficient gathering place for his family. http://montezumacanyonlodge.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has any ideas of how to market this to the right person, please let me know.

Thanks!

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Re: Best way to sell off-grid home

Post by butterfly »

Well, I can offer this: when you said "off- grid home" I was thinking something like a tiny house with maybe a well and other "roughin' it" features. But what you're actually trying to sell is for someone much more affluent so you might want to change what you're calling the property in order to signal wealthy buyers. Maybe something like "Prestigious farm, completely self-sustaining."
When I read "off- grid" I automatically equate it with being inexpensive and so your more affluent buyers may avoid it all together just from the title.
Good luck, it looks like a gorgeous property.
I'm sorry about your dad.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

How much do you want for it?

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

http://www.survivalrealty.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote:How much do you want for it?

The price is in the ad Hoodie.

I think the ad needs more detail. Some specs about the water, rating on the septic, things like that.*

I did look this over as I am very familiar with that area.
It is particularly remote with little or no major commerce around it.
The price is definitely ambitious, but serious offers would have to be considered.
dc

* How much electro from the solar? Is there a generator? What about refrigerators, food storage etc.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I'd like to ask a general question about American houses.
Why are they mostly built out of wood?

I spent some time in the US 10 years ago and saw a lot of new construction taking place, mostly in West Jordan, UT, but other places too. I was quite surprised by the construction methods and materials.

You have plenty of stone in the US, as well abundant raw materials for brick making, so it can't be scarce resources. Is it just tradition or is there a practical reason?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The history basically is that wood was most available. America is still rather heavily forested, but much more so in the early years.
It is cheaper.
Much of the original construction in the southwest was mud brick. Large wide cakes of dried mud.
But it didn't last long and most people preferred wood.
In California, unreinforced masonry is no longer allowed. Too much earth tremor.
If you go thru' southern Utah you will find many many older stone houses. In southern Utah wood was not necessarily as available as stone, and thus stone was used.
Wood is considered warmer, and once living more comfortable. More desirable.
But if you travel around more, you will find a lot of variety almost everywhere.
dc

spiceflour
Hi, I'm new.

Post by spiceflour »

Robin Hood wrote:How much do you want for it?
$650K, It was over a million to build. It was designed to be a gathering place for me and my siblings--50 people+.

spiceflour
Hi, I'm new.

Post by spiceflour »

Robin Hood wrote:I'd like to ask a general question about American houses.
Why are they mostly built out of wood?

I spent some time in the US 10 years ago and saw a lot of new construction taking place, mostly in West Jordan, UT, but other places too. I was quite surprised by the construction methods and materials.

You have plenty of stone in the US, as well abundant raw materials for brick making, so it can't be scarce resources. Is it just tradition or is there a practical reason?

This house has ply-wood sheets secured to 8" thick foam sheets for the outer walls. Someone used to building with solid materials would think the foam is odd too. It makes great insulation. Wood is more flexible for earthquakes, cheaper to buy and install.

spiceflour
Hi, I'm new.

Post by spiceflour »

Thanks for the suggestions and questions. It has all the modern conveniences (refrigerator, stove, freezer, washer/dryer, generator, phone, cable, internet), it is just set up on it's own power and water system. This was over $1M to build, every light, window (Pella) and appliance had to meet low energy standards and they cost a lot more than regular products.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I wish!! :)