line upon line : as church members faith deepened so did evolve the first vision account

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

line upon line : as church members faith deepened so did evolve the first vision account

Post by sushi_chef »

pivotal moment that had influenced joseph to publish 1838 account : funeral of 9 year-old Mormon boy, James G. Marsh.

"OBITUARY. DIED on the 7th of May last, James G. Marsh, second son of Thomas B. Marsh, aged 14 years, 11 months and seven days.

From early infancy he manifested a love and reverence towards his Heavenly Father, while his parents diligently taught him the first principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And having a thirst for knowledge and....

It seems that the Lord had respect unto this lover of righteousness, for when he was but about nine years of age, he had a remarkable vision, in which he talked with the Father and many of the ancient prophets face to face, and beheld the Son of God coming in his glory.
"
http://www.mormonthink.com/firstvisionweb.htm#marsh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sushi_ guesstimates above article was the first church record that refered to experiencing the vision of seeing heavenly father face to face by a general member independen of joseph, and james vision stuff must have excited joseph into his full disclosure of the first vision!!

(in 1833+, joseph lead the vision for the school of prophet,
"At one of these meetings after the organization of the school, (the school being organized_ on the 23rd of January, 1833, when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence, no one whispered above his breath, a personage walked through the room from east to west, and Joseph asked if we saw him. I saw him and suppose the others did and Joseph answered that is Jesus, the Son of God, our elder brother. Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former position in prayer, which we did. Another person came through; he was surrounded as with a flame of fire. He (Brother Coltrin) experienced a sensation that it might destroy the tabernacle as it was of consuming fire of great brightness. The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw Him. "
http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/ZebC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
:-B

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: line upon line : as church members faith deepened so did evolve the first vision account

Post by Matchmaker »

sushi_chef wrote:pivotal moment that had influenced joseph to publish 1838 account : funeral of 9 year-old Mormon boy, James G. Marsh.

"OBITUARY. DIED on the 7th of May last, James G. Marsh, second son of Thomas B. Marsh, aged 14 years, 11 months and seven days.

From early infancy he manifested a love and reverence towards his Heavenly Father, while his parents diligently taught him the first principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And having a thirst for knowledge and....

It seems that the Lord had respect unto this lover of righteousness, for when he was but about nine years of age, he had a remarkable vision, in which he talked with the Father and many of the ancient prophets face to face, and beheld the Son of God coming in his glory.
"
http://www.mormonthink.com/firstvisionweb.htm#marsh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sushi_ guesstimates above article was the first church record that refered to experiencing the vision of seeing heavenly father face to face by a general member independen of joseph, and james vision stuff must have excited joseph into his full disclosure of the first vision!!

(in 1833+, joseph lead the vision for the school of prophet,
"At one of these meetings after the organization of the school, (the school being organized_ on the 23rd of January, 1833, when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence, no one whispered above his breath, a personage walked through the room from east to west, and Joseph asked if we saw him. I saw him and suppose the others did and Joseph answered that is Jesus, the Son of God, our elder brother. Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former position in prayer, which we did. Another person came through; he was surrounded as with a flame of fire. He (Brother Coltrin) experienced a sensation that it might destroy the tabernacle as it was of consuming fire of great brightness. The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw Him. "
http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/ZebC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
That is an interesting account of the brethren seeing the Father and the Son. Thanks for posting it.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Re: line upon line : as church members faith deepened so did evolve the first vision account

Post by paulrobots »

Thank you for posting this! I have been looking for the source of this account for several years. While touring Kirtland, this story was told to my family and me as we sat in the upper room of the NKW store. This room is where the School of the Prophets met. As I listened to the story I sat there wishing I was wearing sandals so I could cast them off my feet. The modern day witnesses of Jesus Christ are few and far between, but those who have been privileged to see the Father are much rarer still.

The upper room is tiny, maybe 7x
'x10'. There are two rows of benches facing a fireplace, with just enough room in front for a teacher to stand facing them. During this experience, those on the front row could have reached and touched with little trouble had they been able to move. Imagine God The Father sitting, within touching distance, looking over you and your group appraisingly.

I had never heard this story before and in the subsequent years I had started to wonder if the tour guide had made it up. Again, thanks for posting this.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

https://beggarsbread.org/2013/01/14/dea ... rt-2-of-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://emp.byui.edu/SATTERFIELDB/Rel341 ... 0Rooms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;