Pop/Rock music

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Pop/Rock music

Post by brianj »

Disclaimer: I mostly listen to country music, Jimmy Buffett, and I occasionally stream jazz from WWOZ in New Orleans.

I have noticed that country music lyrics are usually pretty clear. Until I saw this thread I had no idea We are the Champions was about homosexuality, and as I read the lyrics to Turning Japanese I don't see the meaning of that song, but songs like Alcohol or Drunk on a Plane are easy to interpret. I went to Billboard, bringing up the current country charts to look for examples of songs with lyrics that depict positive messages (falling in love, family, etc) and songs with a negative message (one night stands, alcohol abuse, materialism, etc) but as soon as I started playing samples of songs with a positive message I noticed a change in what I was feeling. I almost always listen to the radio in the car, but lately I have started playing general conference talks or Ensign articles when driving far enough to listen to an entire article or talk. And I do notice a subtle difference. I assume that if I begin doing this more frequently, I may not notice it but there will be a big change over time.

I haven't gone public with this yet, but last month my wife left and filed for divorce. For many years she would get angry with me for listening classical music or listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir because she didn't like that type of music and therefore I shouldn't ever listen to it. Toward the end she was so antagonistic that, when I played appropriate music on Sunday, she would play pop music loudly. At the end she would play that music loudly on Sunday even if I wasn't playing any music. It impressed me how effectively her worldly music drove away the Holy Spirit.

It can be hard to do, but if you follow Sarah's advice above and only listen to good classical music, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and the like, you will see a noticeable difference in a few weeks. I would be remiss if I didn't also encourage listening to Ensign articles or GA talks.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Music has the power to alter your state of mind and mood and can be used in an overstimulating manner which is very stressful to the body. ( which is why it is used to accompany exercise ) If a plant is placed near a CD player and rock music is played on it, the plant will grow in a fast chaotic manner. Water molecules in a plant exposed to Rock and Roll music show bazaare and hideously abnormal distortions under the microscope, and we all know our own bodies are mostly water

Rock and Roll ( and jazz ) musicians are notorious for alcoholism, drug addiction and immorality. They don't age very well, either. Both Jazz and Rock and Roll promote a sensuously enjoyable form of musical entertainment that tends to "loosen" people up and and encourage the lowering of sexual inhibitions and the increase of passion. Wasn't it Elder Cook who said that Mick Jagger told him, while travelling on an airplane, that the whole purpose of his music was to get teen age kids to have sex and lots of it?

I love Jazz music. Sigh....

I used to passionatetely love opera and could shed tears at a good aria. I had singing lessons from the best vocal teachers money could buy, could sing in four languages ( not including dutch and english ). But as I have gotten older and hopefully wiser I just can't stand going to the opera anymore. I didn't use to take it so seriously how wicked so many of the characters are, how sordid the plots, how tragic the endings, with no redeeming social value to offer. People 's passions run wild, and they seem helpless in committing murder, fornication, adultery and engaging in prostitution. It was fine art, and I didn't think anything else mattered. My favorite Opera was "The Medium" by Gian Carlo Menotti. The last time I watched it, I just couldn't stand how it ended with this maniac lady, driven to insanity in just a few days by fear, shoots and murders a poor innocent deaf mute gypsy boy, breaking the heart of her only daughter who loved him, but not before she cruelly threw him out onto the street to fend for himself ( he worked for her and treated her like a most beloved mother ). Oh well, it's opera, right? So what if a woman and her lover are murdered by her circus clown husband? As long as sings all about it in magnificent Italian, we all had a good time!
I know there's a handful of amusing light operas out there, but after seeing Porgy and Bess last year ( need I say more? ) I was so sickened by the low life characters' soap opera lives being almost celebrated by the incredibly fabulous score, I told my DH I had finally had enough, and even if there are a handful of light and amusing operas out there, I no longer want to listen to or see opera anymore.

I really am fond of the LIbera boys. Anbody ever heard them sing? Just check out Libera on Youtube. I wish I could hear these boys at a live performance.
Last edited by passionflower on January 11th, 2017, 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

brianj wrote:Disclaimer: I mostly listen to country music, Jimmy Buffett, and I occasionally stream jazz from WWOZ in New Orleans.

I have noticed that country music lyrics are usually pretty clear. Until I saw this thread I had no idea We are the Champions was about homosexuality, and as I read the lyrics to Turning Japanese I don't see the meaning of that song, but songs like Alcohol or Drunk on a Plane are easy to interpret. I went to Billboard, bringing up the current country charts to look for examples of songs with lyrics that depict positive messages (falling in love, family, etc) and songs with a negative message (one night stands, alcohol abuse, materialism, etc) but as soon as I started playing samples of songs with a positive message I noticed a change in what I was feeling. I almost always listen to the radio in the car, but lately I have started playing general conference talks or Ensign articles when driving far enough to listen to an entire article or talk. And I do notice a subtle difference. I assume that if I begin doing this more frequently, I may not notice it but there will be a big change over time.

I haven't gone public with this yet, but last month my wife left and filed for divorce. For many years she would get angry with me for listening classical music or listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir because she didn't like that type of music and therefore I shouldn't ever listen to it. Toward the end she was so antagonistic that, when I played appropriate music on Sunday, she would play pop music loudly. At the end she would play that music loudly on Sunday even if I wasn't playing any music. It impressed me how effectively her worldly music drove away the Holy Spirit.

It can be hard to do, but if you follow Sarah's advice above and only listen to good classical music, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and the like, you will see a noticeable difference in a few weeks. I would be remiss if I didn't also encourage listening to Ensign articles or GA talks.

I am so saddened by this brian. All my best to you. You are a good man and things will work out for you, I am sure. Especially if you listen to good music!

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

passionflower wrote:Music has the power to change your state of mind and mood and can be used in an overstimulating manner which is very stressful to the body. ( which is why it is used to accompany exercise ) If a plant is placed near a CD player and rock music is played on it, the plant will grow in a fast chaotic manner. Water molecules in a plant exposed to Rock and Roll music show bazaare and hideously abnormal distortions under the microscope, and we all know our own bodies are mostly water

Rock and Roll ( and jazz ) musicians are notorious for alcoholism, drug addiction and immorality. They don't age very well, either. Both Jazz and Rock and Roll promote a sensuously enjoyable form of musical entertainment that tends to "loosen" people up and and encourage the lowering of sexual inhibitions and the increase of passion. Wasn't it Elder Cook who said that Mick Jagger told him, while travelling on an airplane, that the whole purpose of his music was to get teen age kids to have sex and lots of it?

I used to passionatetely love opera and could shed tears at a good aria. I had singing lessons from the best vocal teachers money could buy, could sing fluently in four languages ( not including dutch and english ) and even tried out for the San Francisco opera while still a teenager ( I didn't make it, of course) But as I have gotten older and hopefully wiser I just can't stand going to the opera anymore. I didn't use to take it so seriously how wicked so many of the characters are, how sordid the plots, how tragic the endings, with no redeeming social value to offer. People 's passions run wild, and they seem helpless in committing murder, fornication, adultery and engaging in prostitution. It was fine art, and I didn't think anything else mattered. My favorite Opera was "The Medium" by Gian Carlo Menotti. The last time I watched it, I just couldn't stand how it ended with this maniac lady, driven to insanity in just a few days by fear, shoots and murders a poor innocent deaf mute gypsy boy, breaking the heart of her only daughter who loved him, but not before she cruelly threw him out onto the street to fend for himself ( he worked for her and treated her like a most beloved mother ). Oh well, it's opera, right? So what if a woman and her lover are murdered by her circus clown husband? As long as sings all about it in magnificent Italian, we all had a good time!
I know there's a handful of amusing light operas out there, but after seeing Porgy and Bess last year ( need I say more? ) I was so sickened by the low life characters' soap opera lives being almost celebrated by the incredibly fabulous score, I told my DH I had finally had enough, and even if there are a handful of light and amusing operas out there, I no longer want to listen to or see opera anymore.

I really am fond of the LIbera boys. Anbody ever heard them sing? Just check out Libera on Youtube. I wish I could hear these boys at a live performance.

Very insightful. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on smooth Jazz, or light Jazz? I uses to listen to a smooth jazz station here in Salt Lake County in my car until they changed the format about a year ago. I found it helped me not drive as aggressively.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

passionflower wrote:Rock and Roll ( and jazz ) musicians are notorious for alcoholism, drug addiction and immorality. They don't age very well, either. Both Jazz and Rock and Roll promote a sensuously enjoyable form of musical entertainment that tends to "loosen" people up and and encourage the lowering of sexual inhibitions and the increase of passion. Wasn't it Elder Cook who said that Mick Jagger told him, while travelling on an airplane, that the whole purpose of his music was to get teen age kids to have sex and lots of it?
This reminds me of something Sam Kinison once said in once of his shows. Mocking the Rock Against Drugs campaign he said that rock against drugs makes about as much sense as Christians against Jesus. I believe his words, though intended as humor, were true.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

markharr wrote:
passionflower wrote:Music has the power to change your state of mind and mood and can be used in an overstimulating manner which is very stressful to the body. ( which is why it is used to accompany exercise ) If a plant is placed near a CD player and rock music is played on it, the plant will grow in a fast chaotic manner. Water molecules in a plant exposed to Rock and Roll music show bazaare and hideously abnormal distortions under the microscope, and we all know our own bodies are mostly water

I used to passionatetely love opera and could shed tears at a good aria. I had singing lessons from the best vocal teachers money could buy, could sing fluently in four languages ( not including dutch and english ) and even tried out for the San Francisco opera while still a teenager ( I didn't make it, of course) But as I have gotten older and hopefully wiser I just can't stand going to the opera anymore. I didn't use to take it so seriously how wicked so many of the characters are, how sordid the plots, how tragic the endings, with no redeeming social value to offer. People 's passions run wild, and they seem helpless in committing murder, fornication, adultery and engaging in prostitution. It was fine art, and I didn't think anything else mattered. My favorite Opera was "The Medium" by Gian Carlo Menotti. The last time I watched it, I just couldn't stand how it ended with this maniac lady, driven to insanity in just a few days by fear, shoots and murders a poor innocent deaf mute gypsy boy, breaking the heart of her only daughter who loved him, but not before she cruelly threw him out onto the street to fend for himself ( he worked for her and treated her like a most beloved mother ). Oh well, it's opera, right? So what if a woman and her lover are murdered by her circus clown husband? As long as sings all about it in magnificent Italian, we all had a good time!

Very insightful. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on smooth Jazz, or light Jazz? I uses to listen to a smooth jazz station here in Salt Lake County in my car until they changed the format about a year ago. I found it helped me not drive as aggressively.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Smooth Jazz.
I know it's kind of a newer thing, sort of a like specialty jazz. Right? Yes, i admit it slows one down, but in doing so, has a loosening up and mild altering effect.
Last edited by passionflower on January 11th, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Farewell to Kings by Rush - it would take some extreme misinterpretation, I think, to find fault with these lyrics - plus it's great music!
When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow?
We turned our gaze
From the castles in the distance
Eyes cast down
On the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise

The hypocrites are slandering
The sacred halls of truth
Ancient nobles showering
Their bitterness on youth
Can't we find
The minds that made us strong?
Oh can't we learn
To feel what's right and what's wrong? What's wrong

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Whoa can't we raise our eyes
And make a start?
Can't we find the minds
To lead us closer to the heart?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

https://youtu.be/GkEQS5SJZPU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last words sung in the song "take this heart and let it break"

I love this song and the message I take from it...

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Brian that sucks.

As for music, the majority of Rush's catalog is fine.

forwardtozion
captain of 10

Post by forwardtozion »

98% of all modern pop music is inspired, even authored, by demons.

one night while i was sleeping, i happened to have the radio on. around 1am, i remember jumping out of my bed , fully awake, when subconsciously i heard the first note of 'strairway to heaven' come through the speakers. that note was like nothing i had heard before, however for some reason when in my sleep i recognized that note as being penned by a demonic hand. it's as if that demonic spirit was attached to that song whenever that studio version is played... so it could be the demonic spirit coupled with the spell cast on the song wihen it was mastered and released..

with regards to queen's 'we are the champion' that song has nothing to do with one's C&E. it has everything to do with human's reciting a spell and curse. a spell and curse which says that the adversary will eventually rule... but yet we yuck it uip at every sporting event not realizing we are speaking spell's and curses into existence.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

and 99.5% of all statistics are made up. ^^^

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

How about Whitney Houston. One moment in time?