Pop/Rock music

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Pop/Rock music

Post by markharr »

Let me start this off by saying that I am a huge rock nerd. I love it. Listen to it all the time. I enjoy almost all of it from classic rock, to 70's soul, to alternative music. I will call it my guilty pleasure.

I started thinking the other day on my commute home though about whether you would play any of it in the celestial kingdom. Even the stuff that I thought was more innocent if you listen to the lyrics it's usually about having an affair, or euphemism's for sex, or masturbation or other things. That led me to challenge myself to see if I could think of an innocent pop/rock song that you would play in the celestial kingdom and I honestly couldn't think of one Main stream pop song off the top of my head. For a momement easy like Sunday morning by the commodores came into my head probably because it mentions Sunday in the lyrics and it seems like a love song but after listening to the lyrics I realized it's about a man who no longer wanted to be restrained by a relationship so he left his significant other.

Is it possible for any popular music to be in alignment with the gospel?
Last edited by markharr on January 11th, 2017, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Pop/Rock music

Post by rewcox »

This is an interesting song as far as relating to the Celestial kingdom, from a rock standpoint.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

rewcox wrote:This is an interesting song as far as relating to the Celestial kingdom, from a rock standpoint.

After listening to the lyrics, my personal interpretation of that song is that he is singing about homosexuality and pushing acceptance of it.

A few key lyrics.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race,
And I ain't gonna lose.
And we'll keep on fighting 'til the end.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

markharr wrote:
rewcox wrote:This is an interesting song as far as relating to the Celestial kingdom, from a rock standpoint.

After listening to the lyrics, my personal interpretation of that song is that he is singing about homosexuality and pushing acceptance of it.

A few key lyrics.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And I ain't gonna lose.
Ok, we can make a few adjustments:

Singer dressed in all white suit.

"We are the Champions of the World,

Our Calling and Election been made sure,

We are the Champions,
We are the Champions,

We are the Champions.....of the World!

jsk
captain of 100

Post by jsk »

Dire Straits: "Money for Nothing"

Living Color: "Cult of Personality"

Sammy Hagar: "I Can't Drive 55"

U2: "Where the Streets Have No Name"

Phil Collins: "Another Day in Paradise"

They are out there...

I have to admit I listen to a lot of music I probably shouldn't...one of my weaknesses...

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

rewcox wrote:
markharr wrote:

A few key lyrics.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And I ain't gonna lose.

We are the Champions,
We are the Champions,

That was just my personal interpretation. I googled around because I wanted to see if I was the only one who interpreted it that way and I wasn't. But in his defense there are many others who mock any notion that it had anything to do with homosexuality.

Ironicly the article I found where they agreed with my interpretation was an article where the author was saying how Ironic it was that Trump used this song which is basically a homosexual anthem at his rallies.
I think that and "We Will Rock You” are, yeah. It's surprising how many of these songs that have been taken up as sporting anthems sort of promulgate a homosexual or alternative-lifestyle message. The Village People's “YMCA” being another example, where it's okay to get up at a baseball game and dance to a homosexual anthem. You get the carnivalesque, the flipping of the hierarchy.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ns/491981/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad you brought it up though because it proves my point. I never really considered that that song could be a homosexual anthem until I started really listening to the lyrics.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

markharr wrote:
rewcox wrote:
markharr wrote:

A few key lyrics.
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime.
And I ain't gonna lose.

We are the Champions,
We are the Champions,

That was just my personal interpretation. I googled around because I wanted to see if I was the only one who interpreted it that way and I wasn't. But in his defense there are many others who mock any notion that it had anything to do with homosexuality.

Ironicly the article I found where they agreed with my interpretation was an article where the author was saying how Ironic it was that Trump used this song which is basically a homosexual anthem at his rallies.
I think that and "We Will Rock You” are, yeah. It's surprising how many of these songs that have been taken up as sporting anthems sort of promulgate a homosexual or alternative-lifestyle message. The Village People's “YMCA” being another example, where it's okay to get up at a baseball game and dance to a homosexual anthem. You get the carnivalesque, the flipping of the hierarchy.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ns/491981/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad you brought it up though because it proves my point. I never really considered that that song could be a homosexual anthem until I started really listening to the lyrics.
The lyrics don't say anything about gay stuff. Maybe you equate it to gay because the singer was gay.

Ok, let's try another one, relating to Eternal Marriage.
"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
Looking in your eyes I see a paradise
This world that I've found
Is too good to be true
Standing here beside you
Want so much to give you
This love in my heart that I'm feeling for you

Let 'em say we're crazy, I don't care about that
Put your hand in my hand baby
Don't ever look back
Let the world around us just fall apart
Baby we can make it if we're heart to heart

And we can build this dream together
Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now
And if this world runs out of lovers
We'll still have each other
Nothing's gonna stop us

I'm so glad I found you
I'm not gonna lose you
Whatever it takes I will stay here with you
Take it to the good times
See it through the bad times
Whatever it takes is what I'm gonna do

Let 'em say we're crazy, what do they know
Put your arms around me baby
Don't ever let go

Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us

Ooh, all that I need is you
All that I ever need
And all that I want to do
Is hold you forever, ever and ever, hey

Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us, whoa
Nothing's gonna stop us now, oh no

Hey baby, I know, hey baby
Nothing's gonna stop us
Hey baby, woo, nothing, hey baby
Nothing's gonna stop us now yeah

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

jsk wrote:Dire Straits: "Money for Nothing"

They are out there...

I have to admit I listen to a lot of music I probably shouldn't...one of my weaknesses...
It's a weakness of mine too. I'm trying to be better about listening to gospel talks or scriptures in my car.

Those are all good examples. I wasn't saying that there weren't any just that I couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

Just one example though. The over all message of money aint for nothin by dire straits is good and actually consistent with the law of the harvest but I couldn't see myself playing this in the celestial kingdom and having it go over well.

"Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
Man we could have some fun"

You should check out the lower lights. I think all of them are LDS, and they have this great old timey kind of pop sound but all of the songs are uplifting and religious.

http://www.thelowerlights.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSX664vY6OA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

rewcox wrote:The lyrics don't say anything about gay stuff. Maybe you equate it to gay because the singer was gay.

Ok, let's try another one, relating to Eternal Marriage.
"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"
Looking in your eyes I see a paradise
This world that I've found
Is too good to be true
Standing here beside you
Want so much to give you
This love in my heart that I'm feeling for you

Let 'em say we're crazy, I don't care about that
Put your hand in my hand baby
Don't ever look back

Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us

I'm so glad I found you
I'm not gonna lose you
Whatever it takes I will stay here with you
Take it to the good times
See it through the bad times
Whatever it takes is what I'm gonna do

Let 'em say we're crazy, what do they know
Put your arms around me baby
Don't ever let go

Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us

Ooh, all that I need is you
All that I ever need
And all that I want to do
Is hold you forever, ever and ever, hey

Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us, whoa
Nothing's gonna stop us now, oh no

Hey baby, I know, hey baby
Nothing's gonna stop us
Hey baby, woo, nothing, hey baby
Nothing's gonna stop us now yeah

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. You don't have to come straight out and say something it can be implied. I interpreted those lyrics as a homosexual anthem.

As for the other song, maybe those lyrics are totally innocent. Just one thing jumps out at me.

"Let 'em say we're crazy, I don't care about that"

If he's talking about a normal relationship why would anyone think it's crazy and why would he be concerned about what they think? Maybe he's singing about a totally normal heterosexual relationship but then again maybe he's singing about a homosexual relationship or pedophilia.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Another great one by the lower lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcP4x_RcAU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

markharr wrote:Let me start this off by saying that I am a huge rock nerd. I love it. Listen to it all the time. I enjoy almost all of it from classic rock, to 70's soul, to alternative music. I will call it my guilty pleasure.

I started thinking the other day on my commute home though about whether you would play any of it in the celestial kingdom. Even the stuff that I thought was more innocent if you listen to the lyrics it's usually about having an affair, or euphemism's for sex, or masturbation or other things. That led me to challenge myself to see if I could think of an innocent pop/rock song that you would play in the celestial kingdom and I honestly couldn't think of one Main stream pop song off the top of my head. For a movement easy like Sunday morning by the commodores came into my head probably because it mentions Sunday in the lyrics and it seems like a love song but after listening to the lyrics I realized it's about a man who no longer wanted to be restrained by a relationship so he left his significant other.

Is it possible for any popular music to be in alignment with the gospel?

I have my rule to me about this and any subject. If I can't feel the spirit of God, hope, peace, joy, etc, then it is an activity to avoid. There are lots of various types of music I listen too, and I love to daydream as I listen. My day dreams are about God and his work, etc so if the song has no spirit of God, than I can't very well daydream of him now can I.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

OP - I remember experiencing these thoughts and feelings. :((
rewcox wrote:"We are the Champions of the World,

We are the Champions,
We are the Champions,

Is this what you hear when someone claims to have their calling and election made sure?

jsk
captain of 100

Post by jsk »

markharr wrote:
jsk wrote:Dire Straits: "Money for Nothing"

They are out there...

It's a weakness of mine too. I'm trying to be better about listening to gospel talks or scriptures in my car.

Those are all good examples. I wasn't saying that there weren't any just that I couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

Just one example though. The over all message of money aint for nothin by dire straits is good and actually consistent with the law of the harvest but I couldn't see myself playing this in the celestial kingdom and having it go over well.

"Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
Man we could have some fun"

You should check out the lower lights. I think all of them are LDS, and they have this great old timey kind of pop sound but all of the songs are uplifting and religious.

http://www.thelowerlights.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSX664vY6OA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah...I guess I concentrated on that part of your post about music compatible with the gospel...the Celestial Kingdom is a different ballgame!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

You can always Hie to Kolob!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Jeremy wrote:OP - I remember experiencing these thoughts and feelings. :((
rewcox wrote:"We are the Champions of the World,

We are the Champions,
We are the Champions,

Is this what you hear when someone claims to have their calling and election made sure?
It depends on what else that someone claims.

Is this a somber thread?

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I actually wonder sometimes if Music is at a different level entirely in the celestial kingdom. A level that we can't even comprehend Would there be instruments invented by man like a guitar or would our senses be heightened to a point where those things would sound archaic( for lack of a better word). Maybe you would enjoy them out some sense of nostalgia but it would be like using a typewriter to type things out when you have a word processor.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

markharr wrote:I actually wonder sometimes if Music is at a different level entirely in the celestial kingdom. A level that we can't even comprehend Would there be instruments invented by man like a guitar or would our senses be heightened to a point where those things would sound archaic( for lack of a better word). Maybe you would enjoy them out some sense of nostalgia but it would be like using a typewriter to type things out when you have a word processor.
Our meetings include music. Conference is special. Sometimes when I am struggling, music is what calms me.

For example, Nessun Dorma. Even if you don't understand the language being sung, it stirs an emotion within you.:

Nessun Dorma or None shall sleep

(Calaf, the unknown prince:)
None shall sleep! None shall sleep! You too, princess,
In your cold room
You watch the stars
Trembling of love and hope...

But the mistery of me is locked inside of me
No one will know my name!
No, no, I will say it on your mouth,
When the light will shine!
And my kiss will melt the silence
that makes you mine.

(Choir, voices of women:)
No one will know my name...
And we will, unfortunately, have to die, die!

Leave, oh night! Set, stars!
Set, stars! At sunrise I will win!
I will win! I will win!

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

rewcox wrote:
markharr wrote:I actually wonder sometimes if Music is at a different level entirely in the celestial kingdom. A level that we can't even comprehend Would there be instruments invented by man like a guitar or would our senses be heightened to a point where those things would sound archaic( for lack of a better word). Maybe you would enjoy them out some sense of nostalgia but it would be like using a typewriter to type things out when you have a word processor.
Our meetings include music. Conference is special. Sometimes when I am struggling, music is what calms me.

For example, Nessun Dorma. Even if you don't understand the language being sung, it stirs an emotion within you.:

Nessun Dorma or None shall sleep

None shall sleep! None shall sleep! You too, princess,
In your cold room
You watch the stars
Trembling of love and hope...

But the mistery of me is locked inside of me
No one will know my name!
No, no, I will say it on your mouth,
When the light will shine!
And my kiss will melt the silence
that makes you mine.

(Choir, voices of women:)
No one will know my name...
And we will, unfortunately, have to die, die!

Leave, oh night! Set, stars!
Set, stars! At sunrise I will win!
I will win! I will win!
I agree that we were given music and I have no doubt that there will be music there. My question is more along the lines of is the music we are given what we can comprehend with our limited bodies and minds? Is the music in the celestial kingdom so much more advanced beyond what we are given that we can't even comprehend it.

for all we know there is music being blasted across the universe continually and we can pick up small portions of it that our mortal bodies are able to comprehend but we can't even begin to hear the whole thing.

http://canyouactually.com/nasa-actually ... -chilling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Not Celestial, but some of them provoke higher thoughts for me.
A sample from my playlist-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8hBsA-RI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLmYLw0WRI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MlK_bsW8U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnjglu2bpM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lza2H-fj5Es" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhat-xUQ6dw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bmlcmyq0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_a9XrHZgE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlybBG4jXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLKtjATZt0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Actually, I 'm glad Rewcox brought up we are the champions by Queen because the more I think about it, the more I realize that that song is the perfect example.

First of all it is a masterpiece, on so many levels. Scientists have called it the catchiest song ever made. One of the biggest levels that it is a masterpiece on is deception. It's a triumphant song. An anthem about the little guy triumphing over the big guy. Who doesn't turn the volume up when they hear it on the radio? Who doesn't stand up and cheer when the high school band plays it at the homecoming game? I know I do.

What you don't realize until you think about it is that it's an anthem about immorality triumphing over morality. It was written in the 70's when most people were against homosexuality. It's message is discrete and implied. Rewcox pointed out that he is wearing white. You don't even realize it's there until you go looking for it. He is mocking you right to your face and you are not only cheering him on for it, you are singing along. He wrote the perfect song that would be played at every sporting event and arena for decades right up to this day. I don't know that lucifer himself could have done a better job.

If Satan has a version of called to serve this is probably it.

I was hesitant to post this because I didn't want it to come across like I was questioning his intelligence at being so easily deceived or something and I'm absolutely not. I was just as deceived as everyone else. I turned the radio up when that song came on.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Well, we will rewcox you...

Also song by Captain Moroni and his group as they showed the Kingmen who was boss.

Also in the movie A Knight's Tale
We Will Rock You
Queen
Lyrics
Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place
Singin'
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you
Buddy you're a young man hard man
Shouting in the street gonna take on the world some day
You got blood on yo' face
You big disgrace
Wavin' your banner all over the place
We will we will rock you
Sing it
We will we will rock you
Buddy you're an old man poor man
Pleadin' with your eyes gonna make
You some peace some day
You got mud on your face
Big disgrace
Somebody betta put you back into your place
We will we will rock you
Sing it
We will we will rock you
Everybody
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you
Alright

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

shadow wrote:Not Celestial, but some of them provoke higher thoughts for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8hBsA-RI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLmYLw0WRI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MlK_bsW8U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnjglu2bpM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lza2H-fj5Es" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhat-xUQ6dw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bmlcmyq0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_a9XrHZgE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlybBG4jXo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLKtjATZt0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh memories, memories! :) Shadow you are carbon dating yourself. I had forgotten all about REO Speedwagon's "In my Dreams". I really liked that song, it came out when I was dating my husband. Thanks for the trip.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

shadow wrote:Not Celestial, but some of them provoke higher thoughts for me.

Saw a lot of Journey in there. Journey is great. What do you think of the new singer? They have a documentary on neflix on how they found him.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

It's like TV and movies. The more you avoid it the more sensitive you will become to it, realizing the negative impact it has on you. Try listening to only MoTab, classical, organ music for a few weeks, and that will help purge all the garbage running through your brain - at least if you're like me, you always have a song running through your head. I hate it when I go shopping and they are pumping old 90's songs that I used to listened to constantly as a teen, and I can not get them out of my head. Pop songs do make you want to fantasize about things that will not bring you close to God. Listen to things that make you think of Him.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Sarah wrote:It's like TV and movies. The more you avoid it the more sensitive you will become to it, realizing the negative impact it has on you. Try listening to only MoTab, classical, organ music for a few weeks, and that will help purge all the garbage running through your brain - at least if you're like me, you always have a song running through your head. I hate it when I go shopping and they are pumping old 90's songs that I used to listened to constantly as a teen, and I can not get them out of my head. Pop songs do make you want to fantasize about things that will not bring you close to God. Listen to things that make you think of Him.
:)