Former church member launches ‘Mormon Wikileaks’

Discuss political news items / current events.
Sunain
captain of 1,000

Former church member launches ‘Mormon Wikileaks’

Post by Sunain »

Former church member launches ‘Mormon Wikileaks’ for anonymous sharing of documents and videos
By Michael Alison Chandler December 20 at 7:00 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... f89bf7d474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A former Mormon launched a web site Monday offering a secure portal for people who want to leak internal documents or videos about the Utah-based church.

The Mormon Wikileaks web site seeks to build on a growing number of leaks that have shed light on the inner workings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its position on controversial issues such as gay marriage.

The site was launched by Ryan McKnight, of Las Vegas, Nevada, who gained national attention in October after posting a series of inside conversations between senior Mormon church officials on a YouTube channel called “Mormon Leaks.”

“Our goal is, pure and simple, transparency,” McKnight said in an interview. “Sometimes people come across information through the course of their jobs that makes them feel uneasy or like it is something that church members deserve to know.”

He said the web site provides an anonymous “avenue” for them to share it.

The web site comes as digital information is easily shared and is modeled after Wikileaks, the international group that has collected and shared millions of government documents.

A spokesman for the Mormon church declined to comment on the new site. Church employees sign non-disclosure agreements.
I'm not sure really what this site is trying to accomplish other than try to get someone to post financial figures. Pretty much everything else is out there on the Internet as it is. When the batch of 'leaked' documents and videos was posted in September 2016, everyone online was like 'this is boring' or 'nothing we already didn't' know. All these people opposed to the church think they are going to find some corruption or a smoking gun that will cause the entire church to collapse.

So basically this site is going to try to 'leak' information about church members tithing and how it is spent by the church because apparently that information isn't already out there. Anyone that's a ward/stake financial clerk knows how the funds are used in the church as it is. If someone did leak information, would be 'boring', 'dry' financial information that no one really truly cares about but only do now because its not public. Church run/owned businesses pay taxes just like any other for profit company, people try to ignore that point or are ignorant.

Utah is still the most Charitable and best for Volunteers; its basically been the same for years including 2016.
Here's how Utah fared in 2014:
1st • Volunteer rate
1st • Percentage of donated income
1st • Percentage of population who claim to have donated time
1st • Percengate of population who claim to have donated money
4th • Percentage of taxpayers who donated to charity
13th • Growth in charitable giving (2012 vs. 2006)
1st • Median contribution to charity

http://www.sltrib.com/home/1965526-155/ ... able-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill ... c91760291d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstra ... 694bfc136d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... 16-ranked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-leas ... ates/8555/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Former church member launches ‘Mormon Wikileaks’

Post by Col. Flagg »

I hate to break the news to you, but there is undoubtedly some serious financial info. that the church hopes never sees the light of day, especially in regards to the City Creek project. And, to a lesser degree, what the FP, Q of the 12 and Q of the 70 receive in terms of financial gifts and day to day living. If you want an idea of what it might all entail, listen to the interview Daymon Smith (former church HQ employee and Anthropologist) gave RE the corporate church on Mormon Stories - it is an eye-opener. :(

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Col. Flagg wrote:I hate to break the news to you, but there is undoubtedly some serious financial info. that the church hopes never sees the light of day, especially in regards to the City Creek project. And, to a lesser degree, what the FP, Q of the 12 and Q of the 70 receive in terms of financial gifts and day to day living. If you want an idea of what it might all entail, listen to the interview Daymon Smith (former church Anthropologist) gave RE the corporate church on Mormon Stories - it is an eye-opener. :(
Good thing if any of it is true without exaggeration, I won't lose much sleep over it. Look the church is SMART when it comes to it's financial dealings. With all the good they do locally and globally it surpasses most organizations. I would advise any active member to stay away from this website. It's just another one of Satan's tools. Keep your focus on what you know to be true, and remember whose Church this is.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Some guy wrote:
“Our goal is, pure and simple, transparency,” McKnight said in an interview. “Sometimes people come across information through the course of their jobs that makes them feel uneasy or like it is something that church members deserve to know.”

Its all about transparency, so I'm certain he will have no problem whatsoever publishing all of the Mormon Wikileaks financials, and his personal financial data.

Unless it is not all about transparency and he is in it to grind his axe, exact his revenge, or develop his own fame and fortune.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

kittycat51 wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:I hate to break the news to you, but there is undoubtedly some serious financial info. that the church hopes never sees the light of day, especially in regards to the City Creek project. And, to a lesser degree, what the FP, Q of the 12 and Q of the 70 receive in terms of financial gifts and day to day living. If you want an idea of what it might all entail, listen to the interview Daymon Smith (former church Anthropologist) gave RE the corporate church on Mormon Stories - it is an eye-opener. :(
Good thing if any of it is true without exaggeration, I won't lose much sleep over it. Look the church is SMART when it comes to it's financial dealings. With all the good they do locally and globally it surpasses most organizations. I would advise any active member to stay away from this website. It's just another one of Satan's tools. Keep your focus on what you know to be true, and remember whose Church this is.

Being "smart" with money and making a full disclosure about where the money goes are two separate things.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

tribrac wrote: Its all about transparency, so I'm certain he will have no problem whatsoever publishing all of the Mormon Wikileaks financials, and his personal financial data.
Isn't that what they have been promising to do from the beginnig? Although, he probably won't publish his personal financial data, but why should he? These are the same people who made fun of Kate Kelly for asking donations to buy a laptop, so they really would be hypocrites if they tried now get personal gain from this project (I must add that I think it is funny how both exmormons and believing mormons dislike KK).

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Vision wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:

Being "smart" with money and making a full disclosure about where the money goes are two separate things.
What I'm trying to say is I don't wake up every morning worrying how the Church is using it's funds. For that matter I don't even wonder. My testimony is not based on these events.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sunain wrote:I'm not sure really what this site is trying to accomplish other than try to get someone to post financial figures.
Well I'm fairly sure. I think Ryan McKnight lied when he said “Our goal is, pure and simple, transparency,”

Had he said "Our goal is to do anything we can to make the LDS Church look bad" I'd think he was telling the actual truth. I'm quite sure he'll give all manner of assurances that he wants "enlightenment" and "Transparency" and "Truth" but those words would be the same kind as a candidate gives to get elected, as a lawyer gives a jury, or O.J. did when saying he was still looking for the real killers.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Vision wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:

And being a church based on the principle of common consent should mean explicit honesty and transparency to the donors of the funds.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

kittycat51 wrote:
Vision wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:

What I'm trying to say is I don't wake up every morning worrying how the Church is using it's funds. For that matter I don't even wonder. My testimony is not based on these events.
I don't think you should have a testimony of the church. Focus on Jesus and minimize the importance of "the church". The church will not and cannot save you.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Obrien wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:
Vision wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:

I don't think you should have a testimony of the church. Focus on Jesus and minimize the importance of "the church". The church will not and cannot save you.
You seem to be putting words in my mouth where they didn't come from. I don't see where I mentioned 'testimony of the church'. I do focus on the Savior, and am well aware of who saves me.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Not trying to place words into your mouth, just trying to understand your thoughts. I don't worry much about how the church uses funds anymore either.
Glad to hear you've got a testimony.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad."

Or are some things hidden that need to remain so?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Separatist wrote:"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad."

You or I may believe things need to be hidden, but eventually everything comes out.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Obrien wrote:
Separatist wrote:"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad."

You or I may believe things need to be hidden, but eventually everything comes out.
I'm more concerned with the motivation of this undertaking. In the case of Edward Snowden, I tend to believe he leaked all kinds of NSA secrets because he believed he saw the gov't doing something illegal and he wanted the people to be more secure with their liberty than the gov't with their secrets. With the way our political climate has developed recently, it seems there'd be a greater chance they'd be used more for malicious purposes than noble ones.

This smells much more like a malcontent's witch hunt. It's not really much different than a political groups desire for "transparency" which they mean: "If you bring us something we can use against those we don't like we'll take it, but if it makes them look good, we'll bury it."

I'm not really worried about what is going to come out with this. I will never be in a position of leadership in the LDS Church so I won't be one of the ones in the spotlight. For those who are, I have faith that regardless of how much someone wants to make the church look bad, Christ will still be the Savior, the Holy Spirit will still whisper to me when I calm myself enough to hear, and God will direct those He chooses to lead His church or He'll have them rebuked and/or replaced if He needs them to be.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

skmo wrote:
Obrien wrote:

I'm more concerned with the motivation of this undertaking. In the case of Edward Snowden, I tend to believe he leaked all kinds of NSA secrets because he believed he saw the gov't doing something illegal and he wanted the people to be more secure with their liberty than the gov't with their secrets. With the way our political climate has developed recently, it seems there'd be a greater chance they'd be used more for malicious purposes than noble ones.

This smells much more like a malcontent's witch hunt. It's not really much different than a political groups desire for "transparency" which they mean: "If you bring us something we can use against those we don't like we'll take it, but if it makes them look good, we'll bury it."

I'm not really worried about what is going to come out with this. I will never be in a position of leadership in the LDS Church so I won't be one of the ones in the spotlight. For those who are, I have faith that regardless of how much someone wants to make the church look bad, Christ will still be the Savior, the Holy Spirit will still whisper to me when I calm myself enough to hear, and God will direct those He chooses to lead His church or He'll have them rebuked and/or replaced if He needs them to be.
LDSCo already released a lot if info about our charitable works. The Ensign runs lots of articles, there are 10 min infomercials before and after conference, there are public pronouncements about how much $$ and service we provide etc. I'm more interested in the income side of LDSCo, and mainly because part of their income comes from me and my family. They are quite recalcitrant about releasing THAT info.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Who needs Mormon Wikileaks when you have LDSFF?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

For those outside of Utah, thought you might want to see this. But then again nothing bothering me here. Move along Michael Alison Chandler and get a life. I just read this news article but I will continue to refuse to STAY AWAY from Mormon Wikileaks website.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42827128&nid=14 ... lds-church" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

kittycat51 wrote:For those outside of Utah, thought you might want to see this. But then again nothing bothering me here. Move along Michael Alison Chandler and get a life. I just read this news article but I will continue to refuse to STAY AWAY from Mormon Wikileaks website.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42827128&nid=14 ... lds-church" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The $120,000 annual salary given to the GA's is in addition to a very large and substantial financial 'gift' that is given to them when they are first called as a GA. I won't reveal what that is as it would cause great uproar here on the board.

So here's my question... many Stake Presidents and Bishops (and their Counselors) also give a LOT of their time to serve in the church - why aren't they compensated financially for their time? I know of some Bishops who serve up to 15-20 hours per week in their callings - where's their $60,000?

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

guess my concern with church money is something that I read today that the general authorities receive what is called a "cost of living" expense? of over 100 thousand a year?? apparently this is no secret with the western Mormons?? because this is new to me, also, is really bothering considering always being taught that they are not paid, so can someone share some light on this new (to me) information?? I never knew they received a pay check.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

Col. Flagg wrote:
kittycat51 wrote:For those outside of Utah, thought you might want to see this. But then again nothing bothering me here. Move along Michael Alison Chandler and get a life. I just read this news article but I will continue to refuse to STAY AWAY from Mormon Wikileaks website.

The $120,000 annual salary given to the GA's is in addition to a very large and substantial financial 'gift' that is given to them when they are first called as a GA. I won't reveal what that is as it would cause great uproar here on the board.

So here's my question... many Stake Presidents and Bishops (and their Counselors) also give a LOT of their time to serve in the church - why aren't they compensated financially for their time? I know of some Bishops who serve up to 15-20 hours per week in their callings - where's their $60,000?
What bunch of crap, Flagg. I know from a very close, personal source this is not true.

The Mormon Wikileaks site is going to die because the only crap it can dig up is boring.

It is only when some source starts forcing the Church to make public what people confess to their Bishops that things will ever get interesting.

As it is now, this "information" isn't interesting, it doesn't add to transparency and it showcases how petty and weak the anti-movement has become.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

ebenezerarise wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:

What bunch of crap, Flagg. I know from a very close, personal source this is not true.

The Mormon Wikileaks site is going to die because the only crap it can dig up is boring.

It is only when some source starts forcing the Church to make public what people confess to their Bishops that things will ever get interesting.

As it is now, this "information" isn't interesting, it doesn't add to transparency and it showcases how petty and weak the anti-movement has become.

so then the GA receiving money is or is not true then?

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It is NOT true.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

ebenezerarise wrote:It is NOT true.
It is true. My father received a stipend when he served in the Quorum of Seventy. He would never tell us how much, but he told us that he got one. No big deal. Don't let it shake your faith. The Church of JESUS CHRIST is not dependent on cost of living monies.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

JandD6572 wrote:guess my concern with church money is something that I read today that the general authorities receive what is called a "cost of living" expense? of over 100 thousand a year?? apparently this is no secret with the western Mormons?? because this is new to me, also, is really bothering considering always being taught that they are not paid, so can someone share some light on this new (to me) information?? I never knew they received a pay check.
It was really disturbing for me when I first found out, too. Our family had sacrificed a lot in order to pay our 10% tithing on gross regularly.

Then I learned about how the scriptures teach that tithing is paid on your surplus only- meaning after you provide for your needs and the needs of your family, you then look at what is left over. This left over amount is what you take 10% of to pay your tithing.

This is also how mission presidents are instructed to pay tithing - only on their surplus.

We have a lot of poverty- stricken members in our ward. I try to help relieve that burden by explaining how the scriptures teach about tithing. Then when they find out that the GAs receive a nice salary, these members will not have withheld food from their families in order to sustain those salaries/stipends/allowances.