Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:Maybe pushing younger marriages is the only solution? ;)

When the Romans were at the height of their power they felt that young people should marry and enjoy sexuality. It was only later that a more hedonistic attitude took hold, at least within the upper classes.
Bad, bad idea. Then you run into raging hormones of a young predator looking for different prey soon after the wedding night has come and gone, only now adultery joins the mix.
I think too many people have sex on the brain and no real interest in what is right. Telling or hinting to anyone it is okay to sin, coupled with ways to accomplish it is not doctrinal. Some maturity goes a long way.
How many 25 year old single men and women are still virgins?
I have no idea, but I'm rather certain you'll tell me. I really have any desire to know either. I'm also not here to provide excuses and statistics for sinners so they can justify sin of any kind.
Here's a question for you: how many people repent of all their sins...except for their favorite one. And the favorite one generally involves some form of sexual impurity.

Couple this with the Lord not allowing sin in the least degree...and what do we now have?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark.
Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.
Let's take a look at the verses, shall we?

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

The operative word here is "sort."

It says two of every sort, not two only of any species. Two of every sort of every living flesh. This would include every single species according to their sort.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

freedomforall wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

It says two of every sort, not two only of any species. Two of every sort of every living flesh. This would include every single species according to their sort.
If you're going to quote scripture you should probably read it mate. Seems you only read verse 19. Read verse 20.
Also, I don't accept your interpretation of the word "sort", especially in light of the aforementioned verse 20.
In fact, sort and kind are completely interchangeable in this instance.

Example: what sort of aninal is that? A dog.
See, it works fine.
You're thinking: what sort of dog is that? A labrador.
See your mistake?
You should have read verse 20.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote:

When the Romans were at the height of their power they felt that young people should marry and enjoy sexuality. It was only later that a more hedonistic attitude took hold, at least within the upper classes.
Bad, bad idea. Then you run into raging hormones of a young predator looking for different prey soon after the wedding night has come and gone, only now adultery joins the mix.
I think too many people have sex on the brain and no real interest in what is right. Telling or hinting to anyone it is okay to sin, coupled with ways to accomplish it is not doctrinal. Some maturity goes a long way.
I have no idea, but I'm rather certain you'll tell me. I really have any desire to know either. I'm also not here to provide excuses and statistics for sinners so they can justify sin of any kind.
Here's a question for you: how many people repent of all their sins...except for their favorite one. And the favorite one generally involves some form of sexual impurity.

Couple this with the Lord not allowing sin in the least degree...and what do we now have?
Nobody at all ever making it to the Celestial Kingdom, so why bother?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Robin Hood wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:

If you're going to quote scripture you should probably read it mate. Seems you only read verse 19. Read verse 20.
Also, I don't accept your interpretation of the word "sort", especially in light of the aforementioned verse 20.
In fact, sort and kind are completely interchangeable in this instance.

Example: what sort of aninal is that? A dog.
See, it works fine.
You're thinking: what sort of dog is that? A labrador.
See your mistake?
You should have read verse 20.
Nope, mate. Verse 19 says every living thing of all flesh. Verse 20 says every creeping thing of the earth after his kind. Verse 20 is a reiteration of verse 19, a little more explicit.

One cannot remove every kind from every sort. So the operative word is "sort"

Sort
1. a particular kind, species, variety, class, or group, distinguished by a common character or nature:

No matter what species, type or group, it is a sort. Scripture says every sort of living flesh.

Here's the problem with language:

Sort:
British Dialect. to associate, mingle, or be friendly.

Tell us, how can a pair of Monarch butterflies produce Fender's blue butterflies? How can Alaskan Huskys produce pure-bred Australian Sheep dogs?

Here's an even harder question to answer: How did Adam give every sort of creature a name? Or did every different species come by osmosis?
Last edited by freedomforall on November 24th, 2016, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

freedomforall wrote:
... How can Alaskan Huskys produce Australian Sheep dogs?
Ask an evolutionist!
The Alaskan Husky and the Australian Sheep Dog both came from a common ancestor.
Surely you know this stuff.

And using a dog as your example was a little unwise. Dog breeders have successfully produced all sorts of strange canines.

The scripture is clear. My advise is to stop trying to make it say what you want it to say.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Robin Hood wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
... How can Alaskan Huskys produce Australian Sheep dogs?
Ask an evolutionist! Absolutely not. I don't believe in evolution, nor should any true Mormon. IMHO, only Fundamentalists would believe such nonsense. Further, it makes God look like he cannot do his own creating. Why does man attempt to bring God down to our level, instead of seeing God for who he truly is? SEE: Isaiah 55:8,9 below

The Alaskan Husky and the Australian Sheep Dog both came from a common ancestor.
Surely you know this stuff.

And using a dog as your example was a little unwise. Dog breeders have successfully produced all sorts of strange canines.

The scripture is clear. My advise is to stop trying to make it say what you want it to say.
Back at ya, mate. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I notice you said nothing about butterflies. And you skipped my last question altogether, simply so you could make your point. Looks like you do what you claim me to be doing so you can make things mean what you want them to mean.

Just what part of "every living thing of all flesh" or "every creeping thing of the earth after his kind" can't be understood? It says all flesh, meaning every single type and species existing. Unless you don't consider dogs of every kind and butterflies of every species, and two of every living flesh as flesh.
Why did not the Lord tell Noah to simply go out and grab a couple of bugs and a few different animals and call it good, huh? The scriptures are very explicit that Noah gathered creatures of all flesh, not merely a select few. Got it?

8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

Noah: https://www.lds.org/friend/1994/06/noah?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He, (God, added for clarity), commanded Noah and his family to build a huge wooden ark and to gather into it animals, birds, and insects of every kind, both male and female. “Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.”

Isaiah 55:8,9
8 ¶For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

From the Friend article you linked:
For one hundred twenty years Noah tried to convince the people to repent. At that time many men who lived on the earth were so tall and powerful that they were called giants. They and others tried to kill Noah, but the Lord was with him and protected him.
What species were the giants?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:From the Friend article you linked:
For one hundred twenty years Noah tried to convince the people to repent. At that time many men who lived on the earth were so tall and powerful that they were called giants. They and others tried to kill Noah, but the Lord was with him and protected him.
Giants https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/giant ... g&letter=g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unusually large, tall persons, apparently having great physical strength. They are mentioned both before the Flood (Gen. 6:4; Moses 8:18) and after (Num. 13:33; Deut. 2:10–11, 20; 3:11–13; 9:2; Josh. 15:8; 18:16). Raphah of Gath was said to be the father of several giants of whom Goliath was one (1 Sam. 17:4–7; 2 Sam. 21:16–22; 1 Chr. 20:6). A 12-fingered, 12-toed giant is also mentioned as one of the sons. The giants in Palestine were also known as Anakims, Emims, and Zamzummims.

Of course you couldn't do your own research. You thought you tricked me, huh?

So.....what species were the giants?

Or were they Cureloms or maybe Cumoms
Last edited by freedomforall on November 24th, 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:From the Friend article you linked:
Giants https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/giant ... g&letter=g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unusually large, tall persons, apparently having great physical strength. They are mentioned both before the Flood (Gen. 6:4; Moses 8:18) and after (Num. 13:33; Deut. 2:10–11, 20; 3:11–13; 9:2; Josh. 15:8; 18:16). Raphah of Gath was said to be the father of several giants of whom Goliath was one (1 Sam. 17:4–7; 2 Sam. 21:16–22; 1 Chr. 20:6). A 12-fingered, 12-toed giant is also mentioned as one of the sons. The giants in Palestine were also known as Anakims, Emims, and Zamzummims.

Of course you couldn't do your own research. You thought you tricked me, huh?

So.....what species were the giants?
No tricks involved. To give the Noah movie some credit that came out a couple of years ago there has been no movie or presentation of Noah that includes a race of giants except that one, and in that depiction the Nephilim giants saved Noah, which was ironic.

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

Just saw this thread.

Have to say the way we treat masturbation and sexuality is one reason much of the world considers us a cult. Weird that young people feel pressure to go into a guy's office alone and start talking about their sexual issues. Or even feel pressure to talk to their parents about those details. Whatever happened to privacy?

You can argue scriptures all day and interpret them as you like. But there is an easier way to look at this.

We are promised that if we are worthy, we will someday get to create worlds and populate them. How will you do it? Will you have young people reach puberty as young as 9 or 10, giving them urges they cannot control, and make them feel dirty and guilty for it? What decent parent wants that for their kids?

I see that as abusive, and if I had the ability as a parent, I would not allow those urges to hit them until they were closer to being able to use them appropriately.

If this shaming is so effective, perhaps it should be applied to all bad habits - eating, etc. All the fat kids should meet regularly with bishops and be denied the sacrament if they don't meet a certain weight target. Yeah, that would eliminate obesity, right?

I've been wondering for a while why we use the term dirty in reference to sexuality. Why would urges God gave us be considered so?

This whole subject in the church is simply weird. Only perverts would be so obsessed with it.

It's time we back off from this whole mess. Tell kids that as long as there aren't bad consequences such as having sex and pregnancy and disease, it is nobody else's business. Likely they would then be less obsessed with it.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

freedomforall wrote:

If its a bad idea, why are RMs encouraged to get married ASAP, and told they are a menace to society if they don't?

Maturity does go a long way, but young people are horny and immature. Polygamy is a "doctrinal" way to accomplish adultery.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote: Bad, bad idea. Then you run into raging hormones of a young predator looking for different prey soon after the wedding night has come and gone, only now adultery joins the mix.

Because an atonement was made, and the gift of grace. Good news, extra, extra, read all about it :)
And I'm sure you have ;)

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Rachael wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:

Because an atonement was made, and the gift of grace. Good news, extra, extra, read all about it :)
And I'm sure you have ;)
1 Grace may be a gift...but what does grace do? In other words, how does it work?
2 What has to be done to activate grace?
3 Is grace given to those that really aren't trying to improve every aspect of their life?
4 Is grace given to anyone not striving to keep God's commandments?
5 Will God grant the free gift of grace to someone that only acknowledges their is a Christ but cares less in trying to live a Christ-like existence?
6 Why do people think that grace will save them without any works?
7 Does the atonement save those that don't want to quit sinning?
8 Why would Christ save someone that doesn't really give a rat about righteousness?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Why so much discussion over such a relatively unimportant behavior?

If it were so important why didn't Joseph Smith bring it up? And as for women did the Church condemn the common treatment for depression and hysteria in the 1800s?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:Why so much discussion over such a relatively unimportant behavior?

If it were so important why didn't Joseph Smith bring it up? And as for women did the Church condemn the common treatment for depression and hysteria in the 1800s?
Say, what?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:Why so much discussion over such a relatively unimportant behavior?

Say, what?
Just what I said. :)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Come on Fiannan, it wasn't that common.
It tended to be the preserve of rich ladies who had time and money to indulge their "need" for therapy.
We have a similar phenomenon today.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Robin Hood wrote:

It tended to be the preserve of rich ladies who had time and money to indulge their "need" for therapy.
Common enough that scientists had to create a method to prevent injuries to doctors and female midwives. ;)

Wilhelm Reich said one of the main contributors to anxiety and depression was repression of the sex drive. Of course I would say that it should be repressed until marriage. However, after that it should be indulged in as much as possible. Regardless of bonding husbands and wives it serves to enhance immune functions, reduces risks for a variety of bodily conditions (including cancer) and greatly reduces depression. Maybe the reason there is so much prescription mood enhancers today is due to a lack of using this energy.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:

Common enough that scientists had to create a method to prevent injuries to doctors and female midwives. ;)

Wilhelm Reich said one of the main contributors to anxiety and depression was repression of the sex drive. Of course I would say that it should be repressed until marriage. However, after that it should be indulged in as much as possible. Regardless of bonding husbands and wives it serves to enhance immune functions, reduces risks for a variety of bodily conditions (including cancer) and greatly reduces depression. Maybe the reason there is so much prescription mood enhancers today is due to a lack of using this energy.
Natural Man

A person who chooses to be influenced by the passions, desires, appetites, and senses of the flesh rather than by the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
Such a person can comprehend physical things but not spiritual things. All people are carnal, or mortal, because of the fall of Adam and Eve. Each person must be born again through the atonement of Jesus Christ to cease being a natural man.

The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit:1 Cor. 2:14;

The natural man is an enemy to God and should be put off:Mosiah 3:19;

He that persists in his own carnal nature remaineth in his fallen state:Mosiah 16:5; ( Alma 42:7–24; D&C 20:20; )

What natural man is there that knoweth these things?:Alma 26:19–22;

Natural or carnal men are without God in the world:Alma 41:11;

Because of his transgression, man became spiritually dead:D&C 29:41;

Neither can any natural man abide the presence of God:D&C 67:12;

And man began to be carnal, sensual, and devilish:Moses 5:13; ( Moses 6:49; )

Perhaps Wilhelm Reich should be re-educated on what is right under God. Remember, arm of flesh, precepts of men, and all that?

Persons letting the libido run their life could very well be in jeopardy of becoming spiritual. How and why? Read the listed scriptures.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Mormon kid, what you do privately is your own private business. It's not the business of anyone else, no matter what they say. It's not normal for kids to speak of such things with unrelated adults, although they will tell you it is. If you really wish to discuss such things with adults, such conversation will normally be short and sweet, and there cannot ever be any connotation of "sin" involved.

Take your life back and move on, there is more to life than "confessing" such things to a "bishop" and worrying about it enough to post on a public forum.

Here's a test for you: Imagine you had a sister about your age. Would you feel comfortable with her going in a locked room with an older man to talk about such things with him? God forbid should be your answer.

- ithink

JustAMormonGuy wrote:Hello, I am 13 years old and am struggling with masturbation.
I really want to repent and forsake my sins but I am worried that my bishop will tell my parents. I can handle telling my bishop and ive already confessed openly to God but I don't want my parents to know.

Thank you all For you're help.

-Mormon Kid-

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Natural Man

A person who chooses to be influenced by the passions, desires, appetites, and senses of the flesh rather than by the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Such a person can comprehend physical things but not spiritual things. All people are carnal, or mortal, because of the fall of Adam and Eve. Each person must be born again through the atonement of Jesus Christ to cease being a natural man.
So the key to spirituality is to completely suppress sexual desire? I thought the thing we were to do was to subjugate it towards positive outcomes. I mean Catholic priests try to eradicate sexual feelings and look what that does to them.

TCG
captain of 10

Post by TCG »

Dear young Lad,
If you grow hair on the palms of your hand, then that's a sign to stop, it's a dead give away :)) :)) =))

Aloha Friday folks..... :p

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

For some reason we have a perverted obsession with sex. When you tell everyone to not think about the pink elephant in the room, what do they think about?

It is obviously good to control our urges. It just seems we are awful selective in which urges we care about. Such selectivity makes you wonder what the true motives are. Do we really care about the individual, or is there some kind of power game over sex? If we really cared about them and sin, we'd be shaming over all forms of lust that are not being controlled.

I'd guess most church members are overweight. Why do we not put more emphasis on controlling our eating? Members should meet with the bishop for a monthly weigh-in and diet review. Can't have them defiling their temple.

Most members lust for worldly things and spend too much for things they don't need. As I've mentioned many times before, I've seen divorces in extended family because the wife was not satisfied with the lifestyle her husband provided. ZERO shame for her over that. No disciplinary action for blowing up the family.

A teenager that occasionally masturbates is certainly a bigger problem than destroying families, right? What is wrong with us?!!!

Were I to create worlds, I would describe sin as actions with negative consequences. I don't see the negative to occasional masturbation by teenagers. Would we prefer teen pregnancies?

Are we saying it is bad simply because it feels good? So why provide refreshments at church functions.? What makes one form of pleasure evil and another good?

If we are not to feel any sexual pleasure before getting married, then why did God design us to reach puberty at age 10 or so? Is that some kind of sick joke or something?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

djinwa wrote:For some reason we have a perverted obsession with sex. When you tell everyone to not think about the pink elephant in the room, what do they think about?
What do people think of most on fast Sunday?
It is obviously good to control our urges. It just seems we are awful selective in which urges we care about. Such selectivity makes you wonder what the true motives are. Do we really care about the individual, or is there some kind of power game over sex? If we really cared about them and sin, we'd be shaming over all forms of lust that are not being controlled.
Sexual sin has had a devastating effect on western society. That said, if someone says "family limitation is a sin" even the religious will respond, for the most part, saying, "mind your own business" but the same people will condemn nudity as well as masturbation.
I'd guess most church members are overweight. Why do we not put more emphasis on controlling our eating? Members should meet with the bishop for a monthly weigh-in and diet review. Can't have them defiling their temple.
Have you seen the statistics for how many men and women die every year from masturbation? It is staggering! Of course gluttony is okay. If your body is a temple why not make one as big as a Walmart?
Most members lust for worldly things and spend too much for things they don't need. As I've mentioned many times before, I've seen divorces in extended family because the wife was not satisfied with the lifestyle her husband provided. ZERO shame for her over that. No disciplinary action for blowing up the family.
Well duh, the scriptures say "...eat,drink and be merry..." and if a hubby can't provide the latest consumer items of course he should be kicked to the side.
A teenager that occasionally masturbates is certainly a bigger problem than destroying families, right? What is wrong with us?!!!
Well of course. The scriptures are filled with condemnations of masturbation. They are everywhere! Show me one instance of the scriptures condemning divorce. Go ahead, just one.
Were I to create worlds, I would describe sin as actions with negative consequences. I don't see the negative to occasional masturbation by teenagers. Would we prefer teen pregnancies?

Are we saying it is bad simply because it feels good? So why provide refreshments at church functions.? What makes one form of pleasure evil and another good?
Well....well...
If we are not to feel any sexual pleasure before getting married, then why did God design us to reach puberty at age 10 or so? Is that some kind of sick joke or something?
Well, most women in the Bible got married or pregnant at 14. Of course in those days people married younger. I personally think that most LDS males and females by age 25 who are not married have had sex (I have seen statistics that suggest the rates are higher for LDS females). Maybe we need to encourage marriage at the ages it tended to occur in 1980 - 23-24 for males and 20 - 22 for females.