Car Needed

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Car Needed

Post by Rose Garden »

I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.

To donate by card: https://www.youcaring.com/woman-in-need-495694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would like to donate via paypal, you can send it to: rosefromarock@yahoo.com. (Please include a note stating the purpose)

Or you can send a donation to:
1274 North State Street #5
Orem, UT 84057
Last edited by Rose Garden on January 4th, 2016, 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Car Needed

Post by Robert Sinclair »

There should be a few charitable groups, like Deseret Industries, that will give you a car if your friend is needy.

That's why many cars are donated each year to help the poor.

The registration and insurance I don't know about, but there should be vehicles availible from these charities.

I am already committed for awhile to helping a family right now in my area, but I hope others with some extra funds can help with the insurance and registration, if you can help obtain a car from one of the charities.♡

Keep posting on how things are going. Thanks.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Robert. I've never heard of Deseret Industries giving cars. I'm aware of a few others, but because need is so great, getting a car from them is extremely difficult. That is why I decided to just do it independently.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

In Southern California, I know D.I. used to give away cars, check with the ones in Utah, with all the members in that state, super wealthy, you would think like in California, there would be some.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Will do, Robert. However, many times the church imposes certain standards on a person which I don't know if my friend could meet. She is not living an LDS lifestyle.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

That should not matter for the bottom line needs of the poor, I should hope.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Please find out, and post the results, I am sure many priesthood leaders, would like to know of these things.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Sure, Robert.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

http://www.carsthatcareutah.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, dewajack. This situation has been ongoing for quite some time. All the official channels have been exhausted on her part. I don't know if any of you have been without a car, but it's very difficult to get one through the various foundations. I can certainly try again myself. However, I would hope that anyone who wants to help won't leave it in the hands of an agency because so far they have failed her.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jezebel wrote:Thanks, Robert. I've never heard of Deseret Industries giving cars. I'm aware of a few others, but because need is so great, getting a car from them is extremely difficult. That is why I decided to just do it independently.
A few yrs ago I tried to give the DI a good running car but they said they didn't accept cars. Could've been that the 20 yr oldish somewhat slow kid didn't want the hassle of taking a car. I don't know??
I haven't had a lot of good experiences giving away cars.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I got a response from these guys and they said unless I was her clegyman, she needed to contact them herself.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Let us know, after she contacts them, if they will give her a car, and about what they won't do, as far as insurance and registration how far they will help her directly.

If they will give her a car, see if the Bishop in the ward boundaries can help out of the funds they have, even if she is not a member, for a month or so on these things, and let us know, if yes or no, and what is still needed.

Thanks.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I checked with DI. They don't help with cars.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Ok good to know. What about carsthatcareutah, will they give her a car if she goes by herself to make the request, and what about the Bishop of the ward who's boundaries she lives within, is there not a church policy, that they may give financial assistance to non-members within their boundaries? See what you can find out and let us know.
Thanks.♡

Still a month or so away before I will have funds not already committed, keep checking, if still nothing by then, I will send you what I can, and possibly others on this forum too.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Checked on another thread about how much the church helps, and the response was the Bishops have the discretion of non-members getting help, within their ward boundaries, can you check where she lives, and see if they can help?

Let us know, thanks.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

She's already exhausted all the resources she has access to. I haven't told her what I'm doing.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

If you follow my questions on the other thread, George Clay answered that a Bishop could help, both you and your friend, within his ward boundaries, if moved by the spirit to so do.

Good to approach this Bishop in sincerity and humility, to see if he can help, for he may, if and perhaps, so moved upon to so do.♡

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks, Robert. :)

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

A friend of mine got a car through cars that care, which is why I posted their link. If your friend doesn't know what you're doing and you want to keep it that way, and if nobody has a car outright that can be donated, maybe you could set up a "go fund me" account or something similar and we could contribute that way?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

dewajack wrote:A friend of mine got a car through cars that care, which is why I posted their link. If your friend doesn't know what you're doing and you want to keep it that way, and if nobody has a car outright that can be donated, maybe you could set up a "go fund me" account or something similar and we could contribute that way?
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll do that.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jezebel wrote:I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.
What's your friends situation?
I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote:I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.
I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.

I need a round trip ticket to the Turks and Caicos islands in the Caribbean. I'm freezing my butt off here in iceville. What do you say big bucks? I know your in the giving mode. Pry that wallet out of your back pocket and make me happy. :ymparty:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I thought you were in Del Boca Vista Florida where it's always warm-
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 4361 times

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

shadow wrote:
There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.

I can't say that I'm highly motivated to share much about her based on your comments, but since you asked, I will share a little. She is divorced and her kids don't live with her. They live far away with their various guardians. She tries to balance a job, a boyfriend, and her kids. Its lots of driving and lots of time.

I don't know if I mentioned it here yet, but she currently drives a vehicle that is probably not going to pass safety inspection next time, with good reason. She can't afford the repairs and also wants something that will be cheaper on gas. I expect that if I gave her a car, she might be able to afford registration and insurance but I want to make sure she doesn't have that burden unexpectedly pop up. That would stress her out.

The world can and has told her to just pull herself up by her bootlaces and get things in order. If I give her a car, she will probably still have a million other overwhelming problems I can't solve. I don't care. I'm buying her a car if at all possible. I've started saving up. I would just like some help so I can get it to her before 2035.

I'll be creating a you caring account in the next couple of days, by the way, for those if you who are wondering.