LDS Church pushes back at spurious claims of imminent apocalypse.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Re: LDS Church pushes back at spurious claims of imminent apocalypse.

Post by mirkwood »

Catherine wrote:
By all means, setyourselffree and others...don't believe the tribulations are near.

This is one of the most ridiculous things you groupies say. Not believing Rowe/spencer/avow/menet/etc. = not believing in tribulations. :-w

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

BTH&T wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: Catherine,
The tribulations have already started and have been with us for some time. Just watch the news.
Have we seen earthquakes in diverse places? Tsunami's? Volcanic eruptions? Devastating wars? Plagues? Famine? Men's hearts failing them? People calling good bad and bad good? Distress? Rampant immorality? Greed? Pride? Violence...... the list goes on.
Will these thing intensify? According to the scriptures they will. Do we need Julie Rowe to tell us this and make herself fame and fortune in the process? No we don't. Remember, one of the signs of the times are false prophets.
The tribulations that are to come are will be horrific, not inconvenient and abhorrent.
Like Noah's, Sodom and Gomorrah evil.
Devastation will cover the Earth.

Don't know where J.R. has claimed to be a Prophet.
Why do those that share a personal experience get dumped on for encouraging others to look to the Savoir, get spiritually in tune, follow the Prophet?
I in no way look to her as someone to follow, she has not asked that.
Inconvenient? If you live in Japan, was the tsunami "inconvenient"? In Chile last week, was the earthquake "inconvenient"? Ask the people of Haiti if an earthquake is "inconvenient." Just because we are blessed beyond measure to live in a place of safety, please, don't think of the disasters happening around the world as "inconvenient and abhorrent". These disasters and the accompanying failing of men's hearts, etc., are truly horrible to those experiencing them. Additionally, we have been seeing the awful things associated with war since 1917. Ask any European who lived through the 1940's how "inconvenient" the Second World War and its aftermath were. We are safe here in the U.S., and particularly as Saints, we have been greatly blessed. We are not forced to experience the horrors the rest of humanity has been going through for the last 100 years. Let us not diminish or downplay the reality of these things. If the prophets of old saw our news reports, would they not be horrified and see the events as truly horrific? They described in the best terms they had what they saw in comparison to the events of their pre-technology world. The death and destruction of humankind in the 20th and 21st century are absolutely unparalleled in any human history. I agree that we are living in those times of tribulation right now, but I also think they will get worse, and that the U.S. will no longer be spared. It's ugly now...but it's gonna get even uglier!

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

mirkwood wrote:
Catherine wrote:
By all means, setyourselffree and others...don't believe the tribulations are near.

This is one of the most ridiculous things you groupies say. Not believing Rowe/spencer/avow/menet/etc. = not believing in tribulations. :-w
How ironic.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Catherine wrote:
Robinhood, you never respond to anything in a post that is obviously correct. Your only defense is the issue of money. You skirt every valid point.I just can't take you seriously anymore.
I wasn't aware you ever did.
I won't lose any sleep over it. i-)

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Nan wrote:The fact that the church came out and stated that her book isn't doctrine really should be a sign to everyone that there is something wrong with her book.
It means her book isn't perfect, and that's likely true. But what book is perfect?

This book isn't doctrine either...
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Good-Life-Th ... 416&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Otherwise it would be D&C Section 139-190

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

setyourselffree wrote:And Brianj, Catherine, zionminded, in 321.
Did that press release come from the Lord in the temple, or the media and PR department? The article was spun anyway, but I don't support any extreme action, but I agree with the church to be prepared physically and spiritually.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

One of my former students posted this on her Facebook page:

http://ldsliving.com/7-Things-That-Must ... ld/s/80029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

Robin Hood wrote:
Catherine wrote:
Robinhood, you never respond to anything in a post that is obviously correct. Your only defense is the issue of money. You skirt every valid point.I just can't take you seriously anymore.
I wasn't aware you ever did.
I won't lose any sleep over it. i-)[/quote'

What a relief. I was so worried. And you completely care, otherwise you wouldn't bother making sure you give me your responses. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

skmo wrote:One of my former students posted this on her Facebook page:

http://ldsliving.com/7-Things-That-Must ... ld/s/80029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not official church publication. Independent publication. All is well in Zion comes to mind. A myriad of individuals publish their own interpretations on LDS living. Like all of us here on LDSFF. There are very few I would give credence to if they wrote an article published in that magazine.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

KurtTheMormon wrote:
Alighieri wrote:The end is not yet but by and by.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-p ... apocalypse
This is a wrongful report, and you have fallen for the media twisting things around.

Go take a look at what the LDS church ACTUALLY said, in full context. Read the whole announcement by the LDS church, and you will plainly see that they encourage LDS members to be prepared, not the opposite. They took the LDS announcement completely out of context.

Further, they did NOT add Julie Rowe's books, (which I have not read, full disclosure), to a "spurious materials" list to warn people away from them. What they DID do was to tell institute/seminary teachers not to teach from them, which is correct. They should be teaching from scripture instead.

The media is so filthy and full of lies/distortions. But such is the way of Babylon...

I read the report, there was nothing wrong with it. The media is a problem, at times, but this report was accurate. You simply refuse to accept the reality that the world has not ended yet and you're starting to get testy about it and try to find someone to blame. The 'media' is simply a convenient scapegoat. :-w

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

AI2.0 wrote:
KurtTheMormon wrote:

This is a wrongful report, and you have fallen for the media twisting things around.

Go take a look at what the LDS church ACTUALLY said, in full context. Read the whole announcement by the LDS church, and you will plainly see that they encourage LDS members to be prepared, not the opposite. They took the LDS announcement completely out of context.

Further, they did NOT add Julie Rowe's books, (which I have not read, full disclosure), to a "spurious materials" list to warn people away from them. What they DID do was to tell institute/seminary teachers not to teach from them, which is correct. They should be teaching from scripture instead.

The media is so filthy and full of lies/distortions. But such is the way of Babylon...

I read the report, there was nothing wrong with it. The media is a problem, at times, but this report was accurate. You simply refuse to accept the reality that the world has not ended yet and you're starting to get testy about it and try to find someone to blame. The 'media' is simply a convenient scapegoat. :-w

Oh my gosh! The world is not going to end! It is just going to transition from the tribulations to the millennial reign of Christ. Please differentiate. None of us so called '''doomsday preppers" think the world is going to end. We are preparing for the return of our Lord and Savior which is precisely what everyone should be praying for. Go to the homepage on LDS.org. There is a talk given by Neil A. Anderson that describes what we as Latter Day Saints should be hoping and praying for in regards to the return of the Savior. And also how it can strengthen our faith.

Thy Kingdom Come
By Elder Neil L. Andersen
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
The thought of His coming stirs my soul. It will be breathtaking! The scope and grandeur, the vastness and magnificence, will exceed anything mortal eyes have ever seen or experienced.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

zionminded wrote:
Did that press release come from the Lord in the temple, or the media and PR department? The article was spun anyway, but I don't support any extreme action, but I agree with the church to be prepared physically and spiritually.
What is wrong with you people? Can you not see that you've been sold a lie? There is to be no global crash this month and no 9.0 earthquake next month and we aren't going to be saved in tent cities from the destruction and suffering which is going to continue throughout our world in various places.

The problems that were foretold by prophets are already happening. The Lord uses them to do his work, part of which is calling people to repentance. If he destroys everything too quickly, then where is the opportunity for repentance?

I think some of you need to accept that life is going to go on, the wicked will continue to prosper and the righteous will have to live by faith and those who follow the Savior will need to learn how to live righteously without being able to have the satisfaction that God has shown his hot displeasure at being ignored, rejected and even mocked. God has infinite patience with his children--he's not ready to turn everything to chaos and terror yet and things are not going to play out like a blockbuster movie. Many things are foretold and must happen before Christ comes, we must learn to be patient.

Our church leaders know that. Julie Rowe et al, don't. They are telling you what you want to hear and you're buying into it. I understand this, I'd like to see the wicked overthrown and the righteous protected and victorious, but when does this happen? It doesn't happen until Jesus Christ comes, and that's still a ways off, IMO. I'd like the wicked to be removed from power and God to take vengeance against them and show that he is out there are not happy with all that is going on, but he will do so, in his own time.

Right now, we, as a church have a work to do. We need to have our food storage and emergency preparedness ready, we need to be self reliant and live righteously, listen to the prophet and apostles and our church leaders and stay close to the church. We need to pray for guidance and read our scriptures. But, we need to keep living day to day and help our children prepare to live in this wicked world and still 'stand in holy places'.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

AI2.0 wrote:
zionminded wrote:
What is wrong with you people? Can you not see that you've been sold a lie? There is to be no global crash this month and no 9.0 earthquake next month and we aren't going to be saved in tent cities from the destruction and suffering which is going to continue throughout our world in various places.

The problems that were foretold by prophets are already happening. The Lord uses them to do his work, part of which is calling people to repentance. If he destroys everything too quickly, then where is the opportunity for repentance?

I think some of you need to accept that life is going to go on, the wicked will continue to prosper and the righteous will have to live by faith and those who follow the Savior will need to learn how to live righteously without being able to have the satisfaction that God has shown his hot displeasure at being ignored, rejected and even mocked. God has infinite patience with his children--he's not ready to turn everything to chaos and terror yet and things are not going to play out like a blockbuster movie. Many things are foretold and must happen before Christ comes, we must learn to be patient.

Our church leaders know that. Julie Rowe et al, don't. They are telling you what you want to hear and you're buying into it. I understand this, I'd like to see the wicked overthrown and the righteous protected and victorious, but when does this happen? It doesn't happen until Jesus Christ comes, and that's still a ways off, IMO. I'd like the wicked to be removed from power and God to take vengeance against them and show that he is out there are not happy with all that is going on, but he will do so, in his own time.

Right now, we, as a church have a work to do. We need to have our food storage and emergency preparedness ready, we need to be self reliant and live righteously, listen to the prophet and apostles and our church leaders and stay close to the church. We need to pray for guidance and read our scriptures. But, we need to keep living day to day and help our children prepare to live in this wicked world and still 'stand in holy places'.
Why are you so disturbed? I could say the exact same thing to you. What is wrong with you people? I would love to have all of the regular posters jot down their ages. I think it would be really telling.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

There has been no one who has said that a global crash would hit in September. There has been no one who has said that a 9.0 earthquake would hit the Wasatch front in October. It has been said that there will be possible financial upsets in September, which there have, and that a possible shaking on the Wasatch front in October. That could mean a myriad of different scenarios. Where are you getting your information? If you cannot get those details right then how are you to be taken with any credibility? The global collapse and 9.0 earthquakes are to happen later.
Last edited by Catherine on September 26th, 2015, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catherine
captain of 100

Post by Catherine »

AI2.0 wrote:
zionminded wrote:

'

There is so much misinformation in this post I cannot even begin to set it all straight. The timeline is not correct. My opinion is that you are very naive and need to take some basic bible instruction.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Catherine wrote:There has been no one who has said that a global crash would hit in September. There has been no one who has said that a 9.0 earthquake would hit the Wasatch front in October. It has been said that there will be possible financial upsets in September, which there has, and that a possible shaking on the Wasatch front in October. That could mean a myriad of different scenarios. Where are you getting your information? If you cannot get those details right then how are you to be taken with any credibility? The global collapse and 9.0 earthquakes are to happen later.
Don't you read this board? Look at some of the posts, you'll find them.

Do you not know that a number of people have made those claims? Why do you think there was that article in the Daily Mail? Why was there an article in the Salt Lake Tribune? Why was this picked up by Drudge and why is KUTV covering it? Why was Julie Rowe's book singled out for the seminary/Institute memo???? Because people are making these predictions! Why are you even denying this is true, anyone who has spent any time in this last days section alone has seen these predictions.

The global collapse and the earthquake were predicted by many for NOW because of the end of the blood moons tetrad on Sept. 28th (hey, don't give up hope, there's still TWO DAYS for the global crash) and the Shemitah year? 2015 WAS THE YEAR. Have you already forgotten those events...not sure how you could, we've been discussing them for the past year and a half, so don't try to spin your way out of this and try to claim it wasn't supposed to happen now.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Catherine wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:
zionminded wrote:

'

There is so much misinformation in this post I cannot even begin to set it all straight. The timeline is not correct. My opinion is that you are very naive and need to take some basic bible instruction.
Catherine, I know you are upset, but please, there is NO misinformation in my post and I know my scriptures.

There are things that must happen, based on scripture. I consider the 51 signs of the Second Coming that Bruce R. McConkie outlined in Mormon Doctrine and based on scripture a good place to start in understanding end times events. I think his is the most accurate. Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Vjgb ... dLUFk/view

http://www.mormonwiki.com/Last_Days_2

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

Desert Roses wrote:
BTH&T wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: Catherine,
The tribulations have already started and have been with us for some time. Just watch the news.
Have we seen earthquakes in diverse places? Tsunami's? Volcanic eruptions? Devastating wars? Plagues? Famine? Men's hearts failing them? People calling good bad and bad good? Distress? Rampant immorality? Greed? Pride? Violence...... the list goes on.
Will these thing intensify? According to the scriptures they will. Do we need Julie Rowe to tell us this and make herself fame and fortune in the process? No we don't. Remember, one of the signs of the times are false prophets.
The tribulations that are to come are will be horrific, not inconvenient and abhorrent.
Like Noah's, Sodom and Gomorrah evil.
Devastation will cover the Earth.

Don't know where J.R. has claimed to be a Prophet.
Why do those that share a personal experience get dumped on for encouraging others to look to the Savoir, get spiritually in tune, follow the Prophet?
I in no way look to her as someone to follow, she has not asked that.
Inconvenient? If you live in Japan, was the tsunami "inconvenient"? In Chile last week, was the earthquake "inconvenient"? Ask the people of Haiti if an earthquake is "inconvenient." Just because we are blessed beyond measure to live in a place of safety, please, don't think of the disasters happening around the world as "inconvenient and abhorrent". These disasters and the accompanying failing of men's hearts, etc., are truly horrible to those experiencing them. Additionally, we have been seeing the awful things associated with war since 1917. Ask any European who lived through the 1940's how "inconvenient" the Second World War and its aftermath were. We are safe here in the U.S., and particularly as Saints, we have been greatly blessed. We are not forced to experience the horrors the rest of humanity has been going through for the last 100 years. Let us not diminish or downplay the reality of these things. If the prophets of old saw our news reports, would they not be horrified and see the events as truly horrific? They described in the best terms they had what they saw in comparison to the events of their pre-technology world. The death and destruction of humankind in the 20th and 21st century are absolutely unparalleled in any human history. I agree that we are living in those times of tribulation right now, but I also think they will get worse, and that the U.S. will no longer be spared. It's ugly now...but it's gonna get even uglier!
Agree with your post. Sorry to paint so broadly.
Things have been getting steadily worse for years, it is my sense that we have not come to see even a portion of what is in store.
When we are told that men's hearts will fail them for fear I think of it will be much worse.
I picture what is described in the Book of Mormon at the time of the Saviors crucifixion as happening all across the globe.
War, famine, pestilence, all at the same time everywhere.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

brianj wrote:I believe that Julie Rowe had a vision.

...and in the vision she saw bigfoots (or is it bigfeet?) roaming freely all over the place living in families and burying their dead...she saw dead things in the spirit world...women cooking meals for the men in the spirit world...a bio-terrorist attack Feb '14...a stock market crash this month...a devestating EQ in UT next month...a call-out...

Wait a sec...VISION??? I thought it was an NDE???

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Catherine wrote:There has been no one who has said that a global crash would hit in September. There has been no one who has said that a 9.0 earthquake would hit the Wasatch front in October. It has been said that there will be possible financial upsets in September, which there have, and that a possible shaking on the Wasatch front in October. That could mean a myriad of different scenarios. Where are you getting your information? If you cannot get those details right then how are you to be taken with any credibility? The global collapse and 9.0 earthquakes are to happen later.
Your profetess JR said it: Market crash now in Sept, big EQ in Oct and Call-out spring '16.

So it's obvious you've rationalized that a few hundered points drop in the Dow is what JR propehsied for Sept (awesome!). How will you rationalize no EQ in Oct or no Call-out next spring? I can't wait. BTW THHAT'S just one of many reasons why The Church called her work SPURIOUS.

I really should pay Brian for my use of this site. Where else would I get this kind of entertainment?!?!
Last edited by durangout on September 26th, 2015, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

AI2.0 wrote:
zionminded wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen: We have a winner!

Tbaker
captain of 10

Post by Tbaker »

It's there now

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... eparedness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ADDITIONAL RESOURCE

Church Responds to Inquiries About Preparedness
SALT LAKE CITY —

(September 26, 2015) In response to several news media inquiries, the Church recently issued the following statement:

The Church encourages our members to be spiritually and physically prepared for life's ups and downs. For many decades, Church leaders have counseled members that, where possible, they should gradually build a supply of food, water and financial resources to ensure they are self-reliant during disasters and the normal hardships that are part of life, including illness, injury or unemployment.

This teaching to be self-reliant has been accompanied by the counsel of Church leaders to avoid being caught up in extreme efforts to anticipate catastrophic events.

The writings and speculations of individual Church members, some of which have gained currency recently, should be considered as personal accounts or positions that do not reflect Church doctrine."

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

The Guardian has picked up this news now as well. "Mormon church issues call for calm as 'blood moon' sparks apocalypse fears". A click bait title for their article. Nothing in the church's official statement says anything about a "call for calm". What I get from the official statement is, be prepared for trouble but don't get too worked up about it.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... se-warning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

AI2.0 wrote:
KurtTheMormon wrote:

Absolutely false. Also, pretending to know what I think is exceedingly rude. Too many people are reading this spun report, (and especially the title of this article, which is not at all the position of the church), and are taking it at face value without reading the entire announcement by the church:

The Church encourages our members to be spiritually and physically prepared for life's ups and downs. For many decades, Church leaders have counseled members that, where possible, they should gradually build a supply of food, water and financial resources to ensure they are self-reliant during disasters and the normal hardships that are part of life, including illness, injury or unemployment.

This teaching to be self-reliant has been accompanied by the counsel of Church leaders to avoid being caught up in extreme efforts to anticipate catastrophic events.

The writings and speculations of individual Church members, some of which have gained currency recently, should be considered as personal accounts or positions that do not reflect Church doctrine.

See how the news article took and emphasized just the snippet at the end, making it appear that the church is downplaying preparedness? They did the same thing by saying that Julie Rowe's books were "spurious", when in fact all the church did was to tell the Seminary and Institute teachers not to teach from her books. Such a thing is entirely appropriate, as seminary and institute teachers ought not to do so, but to teach from scripture instead.
Last edited by KurtTheMormon on September 26th, 2015, 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

AI2.0 wrote:
KurtTheMormon wrote:

Further, the way you portray MY mindset is completely false.

Do you like it when people put words and thoughts in your mouth? No? Then why are you doing that to me?

I am not your enemy, and I am not trying to be. If you are LDS like-unto myself, we are playing for the same team.

Personally, I believe we are close to the trials and tribulations. If you wish to believe differently, I respect that, and I respect your right to do so also.