Question about garments-Ladies only please

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...

Bra under or over?

Under
26%
Over
74%

Total votes: 93
Convertapril
Hi, I'm new.

Re: Question about garments-Ladies only please

Post by Convertapril »

:(( wow I'm so overwhelmed and so thankful I found this site. First off I will say I'm a convert to the church have been for almost 3 years now. I was sealed in the temple with my husband two years ago. That day was such a blur I look back and think no one really told me how exactly to where my garments. When interviewing with our stake president he mentioned garments and that he doesn't wear his during basketball or sports or at intimate times. And I hear many mixed signals on here. I have come to the conclusion that depending on the garment style such as the chemise I wear generally over top and the cupped garments I wear underneath. Now being a convert goes to the conclusion that I'm used to wearing my underwear next to my skin and other clothing on top so for me on top over top of my bra provides better support for my bosom and feels more comfortable.

I agree with so many comments about how hard it is to shop for garments that fit decent. I'm not a large person nor am I a small person but I've got some baby belly and I have a smaller bosom compared to my stomach. The church has also been changing how old the measurements work for the garment so what I used to wear isn't available anymore and I have to resize and that is a hard long difficult process. I wish the church had a better return policy because you do have to experiment with different styles to find out what is appropriate I think you should be able to open a package try it doesn't work put it right back in the package and return it but they don't take open packages back? Least to my understanding.

In regards to bottoms and a woman cycle I find this the most difficult time ever! This was not mentioned at all when I went through the temple the first time and it's not something us women talk about. As with being a convert I'm used to my underwear next to my skin I do wear my underwear all the time under my garments. I feel naked and exposed if I just wear garments alone? Even if I was to wear my underwear on top my garments I still have the issue of heat... Unfortunately I am quite prone to female issues in that region and and just wearing my garments doesn't rid the problem. I've tried all the different fabrics and I still have issues! On the churches website it says to talk to your branch president what female wants to go to their branch president and tell him that she has female issues down below because of the heat created by the garments?? Unfortunately this issue has caused me to not wear my garments on the bottom at all times... I know this isn't the best but I can't run around with infections constantly because of garments? Has anyone else had this issue I feel like I'm the only one? I have prayed to heavenly father and asked for guidance and I feel comfortable that he's allowing me to take a reprieve in wearing my bottom garments constantly. I strive to keep the spirit about me remember my covenants and always wear my top garments. Any wisdom on how to make the bottoms work better for me I almost want to take a pair scissors to them? #-o

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

If you have health issues, you should be able to work it out between you and God. (I worked with a lady who had health issues and only wore the tops, after conferring with her bishop at the time the issues began.)

lgr3065
captain of 100

Post by lgr3065 »

Historically garments were NOT worn all the time (more for temple ceremony), this is a modern day change. There is no revelation or commandment that you were them all the time. It is a teaching. Nice to heed, if possible-the promises are comforting but again not scriptural (Adam and Eve were given a garment by the Lord directly not by a man representing the Lord (who does not know you or your health concerns) and we are not told much about how our first parents were instructed) The recommend interview remains us of that teaching. Pray about it, like ARP above stated-work it out between you and God. Is it wise or healthy to use substances that our bodies are allergic to? I know of lots of women (me included) where yeast infections abound within the climate of the garment (cotton-sometimes not so bad). The expense can be costly to treat these infections and other major health issues can develop-it can be a serious problem not to be treated lightly. So, be a wise servant. Ask God. (my points may have been pointed out earlier in the thread-if so, I apologize)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I agree with lgr3065 above ^^^^^^^^^^^.

I also believe that it's not your Bishop's business. The idea of talking about specifics of garment-wearing with a man you're not related to is kinda creepy, right? If you feel okay about the way you wear your garment, then just answer YES to the recommend question, and move on. The instruction (NOT a covenant) in the temple is to wear them throughout your life. It is a modern construct to interpret that as every day and night, without fail.

lgr3065
captain of 100

Post by lgr3065 »

Oh, how I wish there was a thanks button. Thanks, Lizzy. Certainly NOT the Bishop, counselor, or S Pres or counselors business!!!!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

lgr3065 wrote:Oh, how I wish there was a thanks button. Thanks, Lizzy. Certainly NOT the Bishop, counselor, or S Pres or counselors business!!!!
I've haven't had success with women's garments either...

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

rewcox wrote:
lgr3065 wrote:Oh, how I wish there was a thanks button. Thanks, Lizzy. Certainly NOT the Bishop, counselor, or S Pres or counselors business!!!!
I died laughing when I saw you on the " Women Only" OP. One time I had no clean garments, so I wore my husbands bottoms, am I in violation?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Bee Prepared wrote:
rewcox wrote:
I died laughing when I saw you on the " Women Only" OP. One time I had no clean garments, so I wore my husbands bottoms, am I in violation?
See your Bishop now!

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Why? I did the wash, I don't need his bottoms!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Bee Prepared wrote:Why? I did the wash, I don't need his bottoms!
Ok, washing is like baptism, it cleans things. What soap did you use?

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

rewcox wrote:
Bee Prepared wrote:Why? I did the wash, I don't need his bottoms!
Ok, washing is like baptism, it cleans things. What soap did you use?
I make a heavy duty laundry soap. It even removes racing stripes.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Bee Prepared wrote:
rewcox wrote:
Women Only discussions on here always get infiltrated by some men. 8-| The posts can be entertaining, though (and sometimes useful).

Convertapril
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Convertapril »

Thank you all. Sometimes my husband puts off the "guilty" vibe with me for not wearing them all 24/7. I try, and yes yeast and BV have ran ramped with me when I wear Garment bottoms constantly. So I pick and choose and wear them part time and I don't seem to have as many problems. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels or has this issue. I live in a small Branch so we all know each other quite well, going to the branch President whom is a friend to visit about garment bottoms doesn't sound fun ;)

Happycamper
captain of 10

Post by Happycamper »

When I know I will be getting hot and sweaty, like when I go running or hiking, I wear a sports bra underneath, otherwise my garment top gets soaked and it's so uncomfortable. The day I learned I could do this from a temple-worker friend, was a blessed day! And when it's really warm and I'm going for a run, the garments stay off till after my shower. Now I just wish the symbols could be stamped on in some way, instead of sewn on, so they don't show through the outer clothes. Men don't have do deal with this...... why should we?

Beanpicker
captain of 50

Post by Beanpicker »

lgr3065 wrote:Historically garments were NOT worn all the time (more for temple ceremony), this is a modern day change. There is no revelation or commandment that you were them all the time. It is a teaching. Nice to heed, if possible-the promises are comforting but again not scriptural (Adam and Eve were given a garment by the Lord directly not by a man representing the Lord (who does not know you or your health concerns) and we are not told much about how our first parents were instructed) The recommend interview remains us of that teaching. Pray about it, like ARP above stated-work it out between you and God. Is it wise or healthy to use substances that our bodies are allergic to? I know of lots of women (me included) where yeast infections abound within the climate of the garment (cotton-sometimes not so bad). The expense can be costly to treat these infections and other major health issues can develop-it can be a serious problem not to be treated lightly. So, be a wise servant. Ask God. (my points may have been pointed out earlier in the thread-if so, I apologize)
Thank you lgr for that. I was getting really uncomfortable reading this thread.

I have a very similar opinion. I agree that historically garments were just meant for temple worship, and we have had NO revelations to us to do it differently in any way. So many things have evolved in the church - I'm certain that it was with good intentions. I have been thinking a lot about how we, as a church, have taken garment wearing and made it something it was not originally intended to be. We have been told of a promise of protection over us by wearing our garments throughout our lives. Does anyone have a reference to this promise? It would have to be from the Lord in order to promise us divine protection. One other thought - if this promise did not originate from the Lord, then in my mind this is a form of idolatry. Garments are a symbol only - any power would come from faith in Christ.

Ok, carry on. Don't mind me.

lgr3065
captain of 100

Post by lgr3065 »

I have not seen any scripture as far as protection-but I am not well versed. It is given as part of the instruction in the washings/anoitings. IMO it has to do more with one's faith and of course, the will of the Lord. I have known few that have been killed while wearing their garments and I, for one, received no significant harm after being hit by a car while i was walking in a cross walk. Was it the garments? probably not but it is a nice thought. More likely my prayer of faith for protection that day. Loretta

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Bee wears her garment with a smile. :)
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 18998 times

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

I don't wear a bra, I like that free feeling! Haha, j/k. I like the garment next to my skin, it is a protection.

Beanpicker
captain of 50

Post by Beanpicker »

This ex -bishop responded to a blog on garment wearing. I think his comment was full of truth. However, most LDS follow blindly without questioning.
Speaking as a former Bishop and a faithful, active member of the LDS church, the only reason – the ONLY reason – I can see for wearing garments at all is to faithfully satisfy a draconian requirement imposed blindly by good people who assume, incorrectly, that God cares if we do it or not. I wear the garment day and night and all that. But if it’s a commandment or a revealed principle, then I would love someone to show me when the revelation was given, to whom it was given, and what the exact words of the revelation were. If there’s some revealed or authoritative basis for the ridiculous rules about what underwear I should wear, then show me the revelation.

Even if we assume (without citation or any offer or proof or even explicit allegation I’m aware of) that the temple ceremony itself is a revealed rite, the temple ceremony doesn’t contain ANY of those stupid rules. It says nothing about modesty. Nothing about when or how the garment should be worn. Nothing about altering it, nothing about the cut or design. Nothing. No revelation I’m aware of contains any of that, and no ceremony does, either. As a Bishop, when I read the statement about wearing the garment day & night as instructed, I read it literally: Because the temple does not instruct that the garment should be worn day and night and contains no instructions whatsoever about when or how the garment should be worn, members should feel no obligation to wear them in any particular way. I did not expound along those lines, of course, but simply read the statement to members and left it up to them to interpret it – hoping the light to go on in their head to realize how stupid garment rules are in the context of what is actually in the temple instructions.

We talk about wearing the garment “as instructed.” As instructed by whom, when, and by what authority? If we eliminate every garment-related instruction given outside the temple liturgy, I am under no obligation or covenant to buy or wear garments at all – the temple does not tell me to buy more or to wear them every day. All it tells me is to wear it “throughout my life.” I’ve done plenty of things throughout my life that I don’t do everyday or even every year. I can make my own to any pattern I desire. I can buy commercially-available underwear and put marks on it however I want. In fact, I can just wear it when I go to the temple, and consider that to constitute wearing it “throughout my life.” I’ve filed a federal income tax return throughout my life – that’s once a year. And if we eliminate every garment-related instruction given without citation to revelation, then we eliminate the temple liturgy, as well, since it is, as far as I can tell, not a revelation, cannot be cited or relied on in analysis of doctrine, and is not open for debate at all.

I wear the garment because I’m a Mormon and I’m part of Mormon culture and, ultimately, I’m willing to put up with it because I don’t want to put up with the flak I’d get if I didn’t wear it. I don’t want my wife, family, and friends to think I’ve lost my faith and, for cultural reasons, I don’t want church leaders and others to think I’m “disobedient” (though really, I think it’s virtuous to disobey unrighteous commands, so maybe I should be true to myself instead of obeying nonsense). But the Church has given me no reason to believe that the garment is anything more than a ridiculous cultural artifact with no doctrinal support that continues as part of our church because millions of people are willing to simultaneously claim reliance on revelation and also believe every stupid little thing anyone in authority ever says without ever questioning whether there’s even an allegation of divine direction.

Just imagine how much stupid garbage in the Church we could eliminate just by refusing to believe in or follow any instruction not accompanied by a citation to an actual revelation. “You have to wear Church-made underwear” is such a ridiculous, oppressive, and obviously wrong thing that it should surprise no one to learn that – in a church that prides itself on being the recipient of ongoing revelation and divine guidance – there is not even an ALLEGATION that that particular dogma actually came from God at all.
This was from a 2013 post on bycommonconsent.com entitled "Female Garments: The Underwear Business"

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Humans are by nature tribal and so in a way garments are a rite of passage into the higher levels of our tribe. This is not to say this is a man-made thing, just that garments serve a sociological purpose. I will note that unless I am exercising or at the beach I wear garments, a bit more often than my wife, but I do not think God will count it against us if we don't always wear them. That of course is my personal opinion, and of course being aware that the early leaders of the Church, and the general membership, only wore them when they were doing temple work.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

rewcox wrote:Bee wears her garment with a smile. :)
image.jpg
I'm just happy they aren't 1 piece anymore, I don't smile when I have a snuggy. :ymblushing:

hismrsfinnegan
Hi, I'm new.

Post by hismrsfinnegan »

nutmeg wrote:
SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:on I have begun to think more about whether it is proper to wear a brassiere under or over the garment top? Honestly it seems it should just be incorporated into the top, but alas...

I would also love them to just start incorporating the bra in! i guess it might be hard because there are so many different bra sizes but man, that would be so awesome! i am forever adjusting my bra and garment shoulders, if they would just make it the same thing it would be so great. especially for nursing! goodness, i'm
tempted to write to Beehive Clothing.

Ok ladies please promise not to get mad at me but I just do not wear one except when I have to get really dressed up. I was blessed to have reduction surgery after a car accdent left me in constant pain. I wear my garments without be cause I had a plastic surgeon who was an artist and I went from a DD to a B. Besides I can
understand your frustration, but seriously, how do you cope when it's over 100 degrees outside?

Laffy
captain of 10

Post by Laffy »

Here is my 2 cents worth

I think we always can run into trouble when we quote that “this Temple worker said this” and another Temple worked said another thing, and so forth.
My understanding is that for both men and women you should were the garment as often as possible. I also think you should try to wear it next to the skin as much as possible. And although this conversation has been related to women (breasts, menstruation) it can also be applied to men. For example, what about a man wearing a jock-strap related to physical activity - -should the garment be over or under?

Although I think too many people – both men and women – are too quick to wear it over and need to trouble themselves more so (e.g., women who report having larger breasts) there are times where with a sincere heart that a person may have to wear the garment over clothing - -such as related medical conditions.

ihavegills
Hi, I'm new.

Post by ihavegills »

I am actually not baptized yet. I have read the book of Mormon and have been in communication with missionaries. Actually I previously lived with someone who did not want missionaries over and getting them to meet me in a public place was too difficult. I would actually be excited about wearing garments but I'm not encouraged as I'm an unusual size for regular clothing. I'm overweight (look pregnant) have a bust of about 47D, I'm 6 foot tall. I would say I wear a women's 9 in underwear and a men's XL for sweatpants. They say they are there to help you out with this but I'm like, "This is going to be terrific." CAN YOU wear mens garments if you are an unusual size? I'm very tall and chubby. If I buy a mans tee shirt I get a 2XL. I'm really kind of worried about it. I've seen more modern garments that seem like I'd be comfortable in them but again I often wear mens sweats and tee shirts because i can't find other clothes away from Lane Bryant. I would assume this would be a more modern type store in terms of sizing but I spoke to someone at the store and my guess is that it will be more difficult than buying underwear at Target.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I think they would not like you to wear men's garments, though I have heard of women wearing their husband's sometimes (I forget the reason, but it was not just "for fun").