Julie Rowe - Author of "A Greater Tomorrow"

Tell us about yourself...
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: Julie Rowe - Author of "A Greater Tomorrow"

Post by Rose Garden »

Awesome post, Thinkpolicy. I agree with you.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

I think this is consistent with Julie's and Spencer's books:

Omni 12-13
12 Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness—

13 And it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm, through the wilderness until they came down into the land which is called the land of Zarahemla.

Egoof
captain of 100

Post by Egoof »

rewcox wrote:I think this is consistent with Julie's and Spencer's books:

Omni 12-13
12 Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness—

13 And it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm, through the wilderness until they came down into the land which is called the land of Zarahemla.
Thanks rewcox for that scripture. That links in perfectly to what we're talking about. I've always thought was an interesting few verses of scripture and wanted to hear more of that story.

Thinkpolicy
captain of 10

Post by Thinkpolicy »

rewcox wrote:I think this is consistent with Julie's and Spencer's books:

Omni 12-13

I've never made that connection before with that scripture. Very interesting: "as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord"

jkrowe
captain of 50

Post by jkrowe »

Just checking in and wanted to thank those who have posted.

Been working on book two, "The Time is Now"

Wow. I must say this book is shaping up to look like it will be at least as long, if not longer than the last one.

At this point I am still working on Chapter One....and there are several chapters to go.

I appreciate the questions that have been asked. Will do my best. Just hope that what I write will help to inspire and motivate
people to act and to act now. Time is getting short.

I do not have words to describe how I feel right now. Tired, humbled, overwhelmed, grateful, hopeful...

This second book serves a few different purposes, but its main purpose is as a "wake up call" and a voice of warning. So, not always a pleasant experience to write about some of the things I have to write about, but it has to be done. Yes, there will be an underlying message of hope, but I will also be sharing some pretty heavy stuff.

So I guess I am just putting that out there...people have asked for more details and the Lord has told me I am to give more details. Sometimes we ask questions and don't realize that what we are asking may not be what we want to hear. Hopefully those who have asked questions will read the book and will be grateful for the additional knowledge or insight, even though it may not be the most pleasant experience because they will be faced with the reality of the situation we are in and with the truth I must speak.

I am just a simple messenger. My intent is to help and to serve. I hope that in the process of doing so, those who hear the message will receive it with an open heart and an open mind.

Trust me - in many ways it would have been much easier for me NOT to write a book, let alone a second one. But it is what it is. I know what I know and I cannot deny it. I made a promise and I will keep my promises. I know the Lord keeps His promises and I know that it is all worth it.

I am grateful to so many who have sent me encouraging, uplifting, inspiring messages. You strengthen me. Thank you so much.

I wish I had the time and energy to respond personally to each and every email - but I am getting dozens a day and there is just no way I can do it. I am very grateful for the messages and want you to know that they buoy me up and help me to keep going and doing what I know I need to be doing.

Blessings,

Julie

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

Thank you for the update! :ymhug: I am SO GRATEFUL for your book! It helped "wake up" my best friend who I have been trying to wake up for 2 years!

During your radio broadcast you mentioned the possibility of a fall release date for the new book. Is that still the plan or will it be closer to the holidays? Any chance there will be an Amazon pre-order list?!! :D

Aradel
captain of 50

Post by Aradel »

Thank you Julie for your continuing presence here. Both my husband and I are so excited to read your next book. Because we have just moved countries and are staying with my parents atm with little room, we are asking the Lord to help us to find our own place so we can start on our preparations again. We have had to leave things behind when we moved countries as we were not allowed to ship food. The Lord in His wisdom has so blessed us to have the opportunity to be able to have the means to prepare now, even though we have been through some trying things that actually have turned out to be huge blessings.

I have told many people about your book and know of at least two who have read it. I guess the message is not for everyone though as I have a few friends who, when I have tried to talk about your message, just do not show the slightest bit of interest. The Lord now keeps me silent with them, possibly because they are not ready.

As I watch the news everyday, I am able to see this all starting to come to pass. Just yesterday, with ISIS and the beheadings of those who will not give up their religion, the bodies lying in the streets of Africa dying from the Ebola Virus and people walking by too scared to touch them or to help. Russia threatening to bring down the economies. Gaza and the list goes on. This is all going on and we are becoming so desensitized to it (on purpose, I believe) that we are starting to believe this is everyday stuff. This is what is coming to us and I don't believe it will be too long now.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your book. You are doing a great work with your message and I, for one, cannot thank you enough!

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

Wendie wrote:Julie,
I'm an author of last days fiction.
I really liked the first one, just barely started the second. While I was reading, I thought here is someone who knows.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

jkrowe wrote:
Quite honestly, after some of the negative reactions and responses I have received, I am not very excited about writing this second book at all, but I know I am supposed to do it so I am. I want to help others as much as I can, so for this reason I am grateful for the opportunity. I am bracing myself for the increased opposition I will soon face and for the added persecution. It has already started, but so be it. Part of the deal and what I signed up for.

10 And blessed are all they who are persecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;
12 For ye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you.
(3 Nephi 12:10–12)
jkrowe wrote: I count myself blessed that I am able to do my little part in helping in any way I can. It is up to each of us to step up to the plate and do our part. We have each been foreordained to specific missions in our lives and I encourage you to figure out what yours is/are if you haven't already done so.
Thanks for taking the time to write the second book. While reading the first book I received a powerful witness regarding things to come.
jkrowe wrote: Time is getting short. No time to waste. Truly it really is the time now to prepare in every way for the days that are upon us.
I just heard that the church is selling 25 lbs of wheat for $5.

The time to prepare can only diminish.

Bananikka
captain of 100

Post by Bananikka »

WOW!!!!! (The $5 wheat bags) At the canneries? Like.. the bishops storehouse? I need to buy a bunch of that stuff and very soon!!!

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

Bananikka wrote:WOW!!!!! (The $5 wheat bags) At the canneries? Like.. the bishops storehouse? I need to buy a bunch of that stuff and very soon!!!
That is what I was told, the canneries.

Sunshine2014
captain of 10

Post by Sunshine2014 »

OnGoing wrote:Thank you for the update! :ymhug: I am SO GRATEFUL for your book! It helped "wake up" my best friend who I have been trying to wake up for 2 years!

During your radio broadcast you mentioned the possibility of a fall release date for the new book. Is that still the plan or will it be closer to the holidays? Any chance there will be an Amazon pre-order list?!! :D
Per a comment she wrote today on Amazon regarding her first book, mid to late October is the expected release date of her second book.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Over the years I've read lots of NDE accounts and books, starting with Dr. Moody's years ago. I don't read them too much these days, but when all the hype appeared here and elsewhere I thought I'd acquire and read it, and I did, and I had a very different reaction than most.

The first section, about prophets past, was a collection of anecdotal stories that couldn't easily be proved either way. I'm not sure it added a whole lot of useful perspective for me in general.

The next part was the Restoration, which in a lot of ways seemed lifted from lds.org and general Church history - very generic info you could get from any number of Church pamphlets and study guides. Ms. Rowe focused on Haun's Mill for some reason, and it didn't completely mesh with what I remembered reading about it, so I decided to refresh my memory. She stated that emissaries came and disarmed the Mormons there. I looked through a number of accounts, including Joseph Young's who was there, and while there was a mention of an emissary who came to calm people down, I could find no mention of anyone disarming the Mormons. The raid came as a complete surprise and so they could not mount a good defense, even though they had guns and shot back. In fact the local Mormon leader, David Evans, tried to surrender initially but it was ignored.

More interesting was Ms. Rowe's accusation of Jacob Haun having purposely misled the Mormons. That wasn't exactly true. Here's the story:

As troubles for all Mormons mounted during the year of 1838, Joseph Smith advised all of the Saints in smaller communities to gather to the larger population centers. Jacob Haun was unwilling to abandon his property as advised, and went to Far West to consult with the Prophet about the matter. He arrived the morning after the Battle of Crooked River, an engagement between Mormons and non-Mormons that several men dead, including the Apostle David Patton. Col Wight and ____ Lee were with the Prophet when
he informed Jacob "Move in, by all means, if you wish to save your lives."

Haun replied that if the settlers left their homes, all of their property would be lost and the Gentiles would burn their houses and other buildings. The Prophet responded by informing him it is better to lose your property than you lives; one can be replaced, the other cannot be restored; but there is no need of losing either if he only do as commanded. Haun then said that he considered the best plan was for all the settlers to move in and around the mill, and use the blacksmith's shop and other buildings as a fort in case of attack; in this way he thought they would be perfectly safe. The Prophet then answered that he was a liberty to do so if he thought best. Afterwards, Joseph turned to Col Wight and said: "That man did not come for counsel, but to induce me to tell him to do as he pleased; which I did. Had I commanded them to move in here and leave their property, they would have called me a tyrant. I wish they were here for their own safety. I am confident that we will soon learn that they have been butchered in a fearful manner".

So what the real story was Mr. Haun, who likely was a member by the fact he went to Joseph (particularly his 'Gentile' reference), went there looking to get a confirmation of what he wanted to do. Joseph actually allowed him to make his choice, even though it wasn't the best option. So Haun did not lie to the Haun's mill families, he simply got what he insisted on having, that they would mount a defense from the blacksmith shop. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned there, but it's vastly different than what Ms. Rowe stated. Much of this is in the History of the Church, if anyone bothers to read real history.

From there Ms. Rowe's book seems like a rehash of Sarah Menet's book with the Tent cities, even including the Iranian rocket fired from LIbya. I'm sure some will see it as some kind of second witness. To me it was like reading AVOW's Greatest Hits.

Looking over the vast array of NDE material, Mormon and non-Mormon, the positive thing to be gained is that there is an afterlife, and that we are accountable for what we do here. Beyond that, it gets into really treacherous territory, especially since many of these accounts are written many years after the fact, and often with the help of editors who encourage certain things to be embellished or eliminated (even Pontius did this in VoG). We have to be careful of having itchy ears and being gullible to messages that may seem legit on the surface but lead us in the wrong direction.

At least Ms. Menet stopped after one book. Now Ms. Rowe is going to write another to answer everyone's questions who can't seem to find the answers for themselves. We are sheep without a shepherd. I don't intend to read anything further from this person, and I think it would be a mistake for anyone to get caught up in this or any other NDE accounts, no matter how fantastic they may be.

OK, now someone can ban me again for being critical of an 'amateur' LDS writer.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Was smugness ever happiness ?

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote:Was smugness ever happiness ?
Or to be a feather in the wind?

LDSguy
captain of 100

Post by LDSguy »

Julie in your book you mentioned the route from Kansas City southward and up through NM and ultimately Price Canyon.

I live in Texas and this dream from years earlier has always caught my attention. Note the route they took from Texas:
http://www.reliefmine.com/articles/prop ... g-in-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jkrowe
captain of 50

Post by jkrowe »

gruden2.0 -

I am not going to take the time to argue my points and defend my experience or what I was shown and know to be true. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I will take a few minutes to make some important points that the spirit has prompted me to bring to your attention as well as to the attention of many others, since for some reason you seem to want to discredit me and my account.

First of all - my experience is my experience and I know what I know. I know how I know it and I know that nothing you or anyone else says (good or ill), will change that fact.

I have studied plenty of church history. If you study further, you will find that the details I share in my book about Hauns Mills as well as the other accounts, are absolutely accurate. There are some historical accounts that have been written that are not accurate, even in church historical records. After I wrote the section on Hauns Mill, I actually went to LDS.org to double check that I was recounting the story correctly. If you go to that site and research Hauns Mills, you will find a recording my church historians who discuss this story in some detail. Their account is accurate and it matched identically to what I have written. So you need to research that topic further. One of the reasons (not all) that this story was briefly mentioned in the book is because it is a type for what is to come in our country, and including it in the book is a simple way to get people to begin thinking about the events that led up to it and what actually happened, and how that can apply today in our lives.

Ironically, you mention that other things I have written in the book could have easily been written by going to LDS.org. The funny thing about that is, that literally - honestly - the ONLY thing I looked up on LDS.org was to CONFIRM that I got the Hauns Mill story correct. Nothing else. All of the stories I tell and the details I give are based on what I was shown, and even then I hardly gave any details compared to what I was shown. I only told what the spirit directed me to tell. And who am I to question the Lord on this and what and why he wanted me to include certain things and not others?

By the way, Joseph Haun WAS NOT a member of the church and he never did join the church. His brother joined the church, but Joseph did not. I also know a great deal about church history, particularly church history in the mid-west, because I LIVED THERE FOR 17 years. And I have had dreams and visions of those things for almost two decades, in addition to what I experienced in my NDE. I have been to those sites more than I could count. I have been to the Church visitors center in Independence, MO literally probably 3 times a year for 17 years. I made it a point to go there at least three times a year with my children and that does not include when I would take other friends and family who came to visit from out of state, wanting to see church sites.

There are MANY reasons why I included the specific scripture stories that I did. It was for very specific purposes - in part because those stories are representative of some of what we will soon experience. The scriptures were written for our day. They are a type and an example of some of the trials and adversities we will experience in the last days.

Quite frankly, I was shown a great deal more than what is written in the book. When asked how much of my experience is recorded in the book (by one of my readers), I took that question to the Lord and asked Him specifically. The immediate answer I was given is that the book only contains about 2% of what I was shown and taught. The stories that are shared and the details that are given are given for specific purposes, and the spirit will teach and testify what those reasons and purposes are, for the individual reader, based on "where that person is in their spiritual/life journey" and what ever it is the Lord wants them to know and learn from those sections. I actually wrote quite a bit more and included it originally but then the spirit told me there were certain passages, details etc, that were not to be included, for various reasons.

In response to your comments about editors, embellishing etc. I really appreciate that you brought that topic up, because it gives me an opportunity to share with you a little bit of the process that went into writing this particular book, as well as how this second book is being written.

You are correct - USUALLY - in fact in every case I have ever heard of - authors write manuscripts, then the author tries to find a publisher who will publish their story, then the publisher decides to accept it, then editors review and make changes etc., then it is finally approved for publishing.

In my case however, I was shown in dream/vision who my publisher was going to be and I was told not to contact him at all, but that when the right time came, he would find me. That is what happened. Other than my journal entries, I did not write my full story down until AFTER I was contacted by my publisher. He contacted me the first week of March 2014. I spent 4-8 hours a day (excluding weekends and Spring break) - writing everyday from the first week of March until April 21st when the book went to press.

The book was released May 14th. I wrote the entire first draft completely by myself with no help, input, guidance or anything from anyone other than the Lord and gave that to my publisher less than three weeks after I agreed to write the book. He read through it while I was on vacation during spring break, then he did emailed the manuscript back with specific questions within the text and for added detail on what I had already written. He didn't edit a thing - didn't change a word - nothing - until it came to the very final draft, which was only about a week before we went to press.

I worked directly with Chad Daybell (LDS author and owner of Spring Creek Books) every step of the way. No one else was involved, other than his wife who helped him do the book cover. We were so pressed for time in knowing we needed to get the book out, that we actually only had my husband, a few close friends and family members and ONE official editor even read the book AFTER it was totally completed. That is one of the main reasons there are some typos and other writing errors. So, no ----there was NO embellishment of any kind. There was no one there changing anything, or pressuring me to add something I shouldn't etc. And that is exactly how this second book has and is going to be written and edited.

That's much of the reason it is written the way it is written...because I have never written a book before and I am not a great writer. The Lord wanted it this way on purpose. The message was to be written simply, concisely, and without any other hands touching it.

Additionally - I am only writing this second book because the Lord has told me to do it. There is more information I am to share and this second book serves several purposes ====one of which is as an additional voice of warning. There will not be a third book. This is it. After this book is out, I have completed my assignment in writing what I am supposed to share. Yes, some of the second book will take into account some of the questions people have asked, but that is only a very small fraction of the message. The majority of the book contains much more than that.

So - I hope this gives some clarity for those who need to hear this.

Again - I will say this the best way I can....I recognize that the messages in my books will not resonate with everyone. I recognize that some will not agree with me or what I have written. That is okay.

I will say this: I know what I know, and I know that I was given the assignment to write these books and share my story and some of my experience. I know without a doubt, so for those who do doubt, I would highly encourage you to take your issues to the Lord in prayer. I know there are some who just don't care, and there are others who have an alternative motive to discredit me or anyone who is trying to spread a message of light and truth. That' okay. It does not change what I know and it will not change what I do or how I will go about things.

I do not say this to antagonize, contend or even defend. Really I have no need to defend myself - but that which I do defend I do in the name of defending that which I know to be true, which is the Lord's message and the manner in which it was given. If people have a problem with the book - that is not my issue. It does not hurt me or upset me. My only hope in writing and sharing what I have in this post is to correctly state the facts and to ensure that I bring to light those that are seeking to discredit this work - no matter their intentions.

It is up to each of us to learn to discern the spirit and to get our own answers in life. Please - do not take my word on anything - go to the source of all truth and light. He will tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it, and how you need to know it (If you truly want to know and ask in all sincerity). If you ask, be prepared for whatever answer may come, and then act on that knowledge. Once we know, we are no longer on neutral ground.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Julie's book touched me more than all the other NDEs I had read. I am grateful she takes the time to respond to questions and concerns. I am anxious to read her second book. If you don't believe her, that's up to you. But if you pray and get a positive response, you then have an obligation to share her warnings.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

kathyn wrote:Julie's book touched me more than all the other NDEs I had read. I am grateful she takes the time to respond to questions and concerns. I am anxious to read her second book. If you don't believe her, that's up to you. But if you pray and get a positive response, you then have an obligation to share her warnings.

Boom.

Njb

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

Julie,

Thanks for your time and efforts for bringing to light the things you believe are true. I've had to ask myself, are these true, and here are a few of my thoughts and a few questions I've had... which of course I understand if you cannot answer them.

First of all, would such visions and dreams be published by the general authorities of the church? I believe no, because then it would be 'assumed' to be doctrine and therefore the lay members of the church would not have to use the spirit to discern for themselves... Esp in this growing world of wickedness... what greater gift can our Father try to give us than to learn to hear his voice more clearly.

Secondly... was Samuel the Lamanite a general authority or prophet at the time of his great prophecy in Zarahemla? I do NOT think he was. He went to preach repentance to the wicked Nephites and after he was first rejected he was told to go back. When he went back we know he filled with the spirit and was shown and told many marvelous things, some of which he shared. Some who heard his prophecies went to the prophet, Nephi, who was currently baptizing in the city Zarahemla... we know Nephi was the prophet, so Samuel was not the current prophet. Next, when he finally got off the wall the scriptures say he was never heard of again. Lastly, when Christ came, his words were not written down and he chastised Nephi, the prophet, to have them written down. Why was Samuel never heard of again and why were his words not written down? Most likely it's because he was not a general authority of the church, as most of the words of the brethren were written down... most likely he was a lay member of the church who was calling people to repent (which is a responsibility to all baptized members of the church) and was so inspired to say what he said.

I've read Visions of Glory and Julie's book as well, A Greater Tomorrow... and I've recommended both books to many people. What I've seen if that a lot of women who read both books liked A Greater Tomorrow more... To me... if both books (accounts) are true... then perhaps the Lord is asking you to tell your story because it appeals to a difference audience, or in other words, it will resonate with a different audience who will take your words more serious and take more serious their preparation and spirituality than others....

I love the anology of the Lighthouse... but what people forget about that anology is the 'lower lights'... we know that Jesus if the light of the world... but lighthouses have two lights.... the main light and the lower lights... the lower lights are used to help you line yourself correctly with the larger light so as to make sure you're following the right path. The prophets are the lower lights... but I've found many people in the church to be my lower lights as well.

One question I have, that wasn't mentioned in your radio interviews, is the upcoming economic collapse. A lot of people I talk to are wondering why get out of debt if money becomes worthless soon. For example if you had money to pay off a debt or purchase food storage and other preparedness supplies, if such events are at our doorstep... why not spend our efforts in purchasing such supplies as soon money and debt will become obsolete. And yes, I'm asking this question for myself as well as other. I probably already know your response (which is the correct response) to take it to the Lord... but was wondering what your thoughts are as well.

I understand if you can't reply and I am looking forward to your next book.

Aaron

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

wompus wrote:Julie,
One question I have, that wasn't mentioned in your radio interviews, is the upcoming economic collapse. A lot of people I talk to are wondering why get out of debt if money becomes worthless soon. For example if you had money to pay off a debt or purchase food storage and other preparedness supplies, if such events are at our doorstep... why not spend our efforts in purchasing such supplies as soon money and debt will become obsolete. And yes, I'm asking this question for myself as well as other. I probably already know your response (which is the correct response) to take it to the Lord... but was wondering what your thoughts are as well.
I understand if you can't reply and I am looking forward to your next book. Aaron
Good post, mostly agree.
There have been a number that have asked the same question (there is a thread on the question)- my experience is as we approach the next economic collapse things are going to get very tough. I lost a job for the first time in 30 years of working, a year back - had no debt other than my house and then like 8 months unemployed - came to within one month of going into the red and got a job at like 45% less than previous salary. If I had major debt or expensive would of lost my house.

Consider interest rates might go through the roof just prior to a collapse and you end up eating your food storage before the main collapse!!
Also getting in debt when you have no intention to pay it back - is a dangerous.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

I find it amazing but do see it necessary this good sister and messenger has to come in and defend her message that is trying to be discredited by smug trolls.

Thank you Julie.

Chin up.

:)

Njb
Last edited by notjamesbond003.5 on August 13th, 2014, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

Post by wildernessdaughter »

wompus wrote:Secondly... was Samuel the Lamanite a general authority or prophet at the time of his great prophecy in Zarahemla? I do NOT think he was. He went to preach repentance to the wicked Nephites and after he was first rejected he was told to go back. When he went back we know he filled with the spirit and was shown and told many marvelous things, some of which he shared. Some who heard his prophecies went to the prophet, Nephi, who was currently baptizing in the city Zarahemla... we know Nephi was the prophet, so Samuel was not the current prophet. Next, when he finally got off the wall the scriptures say he was never heard of again. Lastly, when Christ came, his words were not written down and he chastised Nephi, the prophet, to have them written down. Why was Samuel never heard of again and why were his words not written down? Most likely it's because he was not a general authority of the church, as most of the words of the brethren were written down... most likely he was a lay member of the church who was calling people to repent (which is a responsibility to all baptized members of the church) and was so inspired to say what he said.
wompus, I had this exact same thought about Samuel the Lamanite the other day. I am pretty sure he wasn't THE prophet at the time -- that was Nephi. But I don't even get the sense that he was a general authority. Just a good guy who listened to the Lord.

I read Julie's book a couple of weeks ago and have spent considerable time and energy praying about it and studying it out in my mind. I believe Julie is telling the truth about her experience and it behooves us to pay attention.

The other thought I have had is with regards to the scripture found in Acts 2 (and the similar one in Joel that President Hinckley tells us has already been fulfilled): "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy."

If only the prophet and twelve apostles were able to prophesy, why would "handmaidens" (a female servant) and "daughters" be mentioned, since our priesthood leadership is exclusively male? As for the word "prophesy," it seems to mean that the word includes an action element. Not just knowing of things that are to come, but sharing those things you know with others.
Last edited by wildernessdaughter on August 13th, 2014, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

My intent would never be to not pay back my debts. We've been told to get out of debt... so if I've got a lot of money saved would it be wiser to just make minimum payments on my debts and to take my money that's saved and purchased preparedness supplies and then focus on paying off my debts.

In 1-2 years I can have all my unnecessary debts paid off (ie cars, credit cards, student loans, etc...) and just have the mortgage left... but that money could have been used to purchase preparedness items. Also, I have realistically over $120k equity in my house and that's after the big downturn in the market we had... so would it be wise to sell the house, pay off debts, have money in the bank, purchase all my preparedness items (sell my house to an investor who will rent my house back to me so I don't have to move) then save up money so in five years I can purchase my house back in cash...

And I know a lot of people who are like that... who own their house outright but who are asking themselves... hey, why don't I get a loan on my home... buy an rv or motorhome and a bunch or preparedness supplies and then if the SHTF they'll have all their needs... you see once the SHTF then you won't be able to get the equity out of your house. Plus if all the banks close, who are you going to pay your debts back to? If I spend all my efforts in paying off all my debts in the next 5 years, home included, and then the economy crashes and interest skyrockets... I won't be able to buy food or other items because it's going to cost an arm and a leg!

You see my question... and again that should be taken to the Lord... but I'd like to get other options too!

My last question is this... I try hard to be a righteous LDS member... go the church, magnify my callings, purify my thoughts and desires... and I have my weaknesses and sins which I am honest to the Lord about... but one thing I've been struggling with lately is getting inspiration from the Lord. My whole life I've pretty much have 'known' right from wrong... I had my rebellious stage before my mission and through the grace of my Father I was able to get back on the path and served a mission and have stayed on the path ever since... but all my life I have really struggled with getting inspiration from the Lord... As I take these questions to the Lord I haven't gotten much of an answer...I don't know if it's that I just don't 'hear' the voice of the Lord, or if my whole life I've just done what I thought was right and that's just how it is with me...

That might be my hesitation with such 'visions' from people because of the easiness it comes to them... maybe I don't need such visions because I know what's right and the Lord expects me to make choices on my own to see if I can use righteous principles to guide my actions without be inspired at every turn.

So these are my 2 questions.... Paying of debt first or purchasing preparedness items... and getting inspiration from the Lord!

Aaron

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

Post by wildernessdaughter »

Womus, so it was kind of funny, because I went to answer your question one by telling you to take it to the Lord, but if you are struggling to hear his voice, that could be hard. :)

I am not someone who has had grand visions or dreams. Much of what I believe is based on the scriptures and other people's words and then confirmed to me by the Spirit.

The process that has been most useful for me is to study something out in my mind and make my own decision based on my research and thought and then spend time praying and telling Heavenly Father what I have decided to do. At that point I am able to identify a good feeling or an uneasy feeling -- nothing big, just that calm, unstressed feeling versus the pit-in-your-stomach feeling. If I get a good feeling, I move forward with my plan and continue asking the Lord if I am doing the right thing until I get an uneasy feeling, at which point I start the process over. It's kind of a trial and error thing.

Also, I have found that, for me, inspiration comes when I least expect it. I can try to set up this perfect scenario where I will go to the temple or be reading my scriptures in the evening when the kids are in bed and won't really hear anything, then all of a sudden I will be sitting in a meeting at work in the middle of the day thinking about healthcare staffing and BAM I start getting thoughts or an answer to a question I have had that I have to write down quickly before I forget them. I have also had thoughts come to me right when I am going to sleep and I think "wow, that is interesting. I will have to write that down or think about it more in the morning," and then morning comes and all I can remember is that I had a cool thought last night, but I can't remember what it was.