Backyard Liberty by Alec Deacon, including a word from him.

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Backyard Liberty by Alec Deacon, including a word from him.

Post by freedomforall »

Is there an upcoming economical crash? Are you concerned about food shortages? Do you worry about the cost of foods to store, and what kind and type?

Watch this and see if it helps. I'm intrigued. Can't hurt to look at it for the money. And according to Norton Web Safe, this site is free of threats.

http://backyardliberty.com/av/index_r4s.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone looked into, ordered or implemented this stuff? I'd like some insight
Last edited by freedomforall on October 6th, 2013, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Re: Backyard Liberty by Alec Deacon

Post by singyourwayhome »

My husband has been studying both hydroponics and aquaponics for about the last month, watching dozens of YouTube videos. (See an explanation of the difference here.) He settled on hydroponics, but I need to ask him what the reason was. Maybe because he wanted to have it in our house and didn't want a fish smell? Don't know. What I know is that we have a complete hydroponic setup now on a rectangular folding table. He set it up buying parts and pieces- PVC pipe, mylar emergency blankets, empty buckets, vermiculite. The pump is something we already owned from a decorative water feature. The whole project has cost about $250.
The first seeds have been planted in peat pots. We'll see how it all goes.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

singyourwayhome wrote:My husband has been studying both hydroponics and aquaponics for about the last month, watching dozens of YouTube videos. (See an explanation of the difference here.) He settled on hydroponics, but I need to ask him what the reason was. Maybe because he wanted to have it in our house and didn't want a fish smell? Don't know. What I know is that we have a complete hydroponic setup now on a rectangular folding table. He set it up buying parts and pieces- PVC pipe, mylar emergency blankets, empty buckets, vermiculite. The pump is something we already owned from a decorative water feature. The whole project has cost about $250.
The first seeds have been planted in peat pots. We'll see how it all goes.
The good thing about using fish is that you get to fry them up for a protein source to balance out one's needed dietary needs. This makes good sense if we can't get fish from a store. Ultimately it's up to what a family wants.

I Hope all works well. My difficulty is, I vacillate too much as to whether online ordering of these kind of things is safe. And then I'm left wondering if the materials you get really are worth getting. I know there are a lot of scammers out there.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I'd say, most like that (the link) aren't worth it.
They're a decent "101" report, and that's about it.
Buy a good book on amazon or so, you'll get a much better deal...

jonesde
captain of 1,000

Post by jonesde »

Thanks for posting this freedomfighter.

I went for it and bought the basic package (none of the add ons they upsell you on during checkout). The main parts are a 34 min video and a 100 page book, plus a quick start guide and 3 booklets on water biofilters, 27 items to "hoard", and one on surviving an economic collapse.

The main book looks pretty good. It has pretty good coverage of the general idea, and then lots of specifics on how to build a system using common materials like PVC pipe and liquid pallet/tote tanks (the standard IBC 250-300 gallon cube ones). It talks about specific recommended fish for different areas/conditions, summary of plants that do well (including some like Duckweed that are less common but I've heard of for aquaponic systems and seem valuable), related things like worms, etc. It covers both building and maintenance.

Anyway, at $37 it's pricey for an e-book, but is probably about what you'd pay if this were a good quality color printed book. It does seem like good information, and detailed enough to actually build and run the thing.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Ha, I went back and read the ad (click to leave the movie, then click on "Stay on page"), and thought, this MIGHT actually be something really good! And most are good about the money-back guarantee, too.

I especially like the one-year email support.

Looks like jonesde beat me to it!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jonesde wrote:Thanks for posting this freedomfighter.

I went for it and bought the basic package (none of the add ons they upsell you on during checkout). The main parts are a 34 min video and a 100 page book, plus a quick start guide and 3 booklets on water biofilters, 27 items to "hoard", and one on surviving an economic collapse.

The main book looks pretty good. It has pretty good coverage of the general idea, and then lots of specifics on how to build a system using common materials like PVC pipe and liquid pallet/tote tanks (the standard IBC 250-300 gallon cube ones). It talks about specific recommended fish for different areas/conditions, summary of plants that do well (including some like Duckweed that are less common but I've heard of for aquaponic systems and seem valuable), related things like worms, etc. It covers both building and maintenance.

Anyway, at $37 it's pricey for an e-book, but is probably about what you'd pay if this were a good quality color printed book. It does seem like good information, and detailed enough to actually build and run the thing.
You're welcome.

Do you think maintenance will be difficult and costly. The reason I ask is because I mentioned this system to some friends and they immediately threw thumbs down because of a possible maintenance problem.

I would really appreciate it if you would apprise me of ups and downs of the system as you go thru the specs. If it does what is claimed, works as well as advertised, you know things like that. Maybe I'll follow suit if you think it is the cat's meow, so to speak. Alec claims the cost of materials is about $190 bucks. Do you think it about accurate?

if things work out you'll be the aquaponics pioneer for the saints. :D

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:Ha, I went back and read the ad (click to leave the movie, then click on "Stay on page"), and thought, this MIGHT actually be something really good! And most are good about the money-back guarantee, too.

I especially like the one-year email support.

Looks like jonesde beat me to it!
You can be the second pioneer. :D

Advocatus Dei
captain of 50

Post by Advocatus Dei »

Aquaponics system in Utah anybody? Would like to see if a successful member has one that I can see? The e-book did not seem bad at all, however, the licensing for fish, no tilapia...

If you could let me know that would be great.

Advocatus Dei
captain of 50

Post by Advocatus Dei »

Please do let me know of the reasons for Hydroponics vs. Aquaponics?

Outdoors has been a concern and current deterrent due to chemtrails + cell phone tower across the street. Started with some HHG's implementing Orgone Energy (Wilhelm Reich/Tesla energy). Would like to converse with Dr. Jones concerning especially after this MI4 former British Whistleblower Dr. Barrie Trower this was shared by a former lawyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB-tbzJSrk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to a farm gal with PVC, water barrels, and wood here in Utah:

http://fourcountrygals.com/2012/07/16/c ... taking-off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dastrip
Hi, I'm new.

Post by dastrip »

Hello,

I have recently dove into Aquaponics.
The ad you mention in your post is what drew my attention.
However I chose to continue with free research and google searches and you tube videos.

There is more than enough free information that this book and video are an uneeded purchase.

I am currently in the process of building a small indoor aquaponics setup.
This setup consists of a 70 gallon fish tank and a single grow bed above the tank.

All of this setup I am building from scratch from lumber and a rubber sealer called Rubberizeit.
The Grow bed will contain river rock as the media for the plants to grow in.
It will contain a Bell Siphon, the method used for a bell siphon is a constant pump into the grow bed. When the grow bed fills to the specified level it will suck all the water from the grow bed and begin to fill again.

My setup is not the cheapest, but it will surely be indoor quality looks, I could have cut my cost in half if looks were not a concern.

As far as fish go, it really depends on the Tank size and Water conditions, I don't intend to heat/cool my tank so the fish that best fits indoor water temp will be my choice. Tilapia are a warm water fish, indoor water temp is not ideal for them, plus most stats have regulations against this fish, including my own.

I'm sure I could go on with a lot more detail. I would be happy to answer questions to anyone that asks and share more research.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Aquaponics1.jpg
Aquaponics1.jpg (181.74 KiB) Viewed 17364 times
This could be doable. You would need an outside greenhouse, not a green, indoor outhouse, or a green house that looks like an outhouse, or, a green room that is inside out. I mean, who would want to confuse the fish? :D

brekanarts
Hi, I'm new.

Post by brekanarts »

It's not a scam its a training program, but uses fear and doom to sell information readily found online with a little research (see below). I grow food with aquaponics and my wife calls is a hobby. I use dollar store toppsy turvies and a 50 gallon rubernmaid tote. With my pump my system cost about $75. But, I think you'd need alot more than a $190 to really rpoduce enough food for a family. Maybe three of these 125 gallon IBC tote systems ganged together or a swiming pool conversion could provide enough food.

Be aware aquaponics require electricity to operate properly. In a real crisis situation, the electric company will shut off the power and your "endless supply of fish" will be dead in >24 hours and then slowlt your "pocket-sized garden of eden" will wither and starve for nutrients.

You can learn about affordable aquaponics (systems around $200) by doing a google search of "IBC Tote aquaponics systems"
You can also join the Valley Permaculture Alliance http://www.VALLEYPERMACULTUREALLIANCE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you can take classes from Shari in Gilbert, AZ: http://www.supurbanfarm.com/aquaponics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: I'm not Mormon, I'm an orthodox Jew here in AZ. Incidently, I used to go to stake dances at Ward Seven with Mormon friends in Tempe when I was a kid. :) So I'm looking out for fellow God-fearing pioneers. Alec Deacon uses some trumped up claims on food output and alarmist rhetoric to convince viewers he has the "golden goose" and will share it with you for a "small tuition fee. " You can do this yourself, if you're really interested and motivated.

brekanarts
Hi, I'm new.

Post by brekanarts »

freedomfighter wrote:
Aquaponics1.jpg
This could be doable. You would need an outside greenhouse, not a green, indoor outhouse, or a green house that looks like an outhouse, or, a green room that is inside out. I mean, who would want to confuse the fish? :D
LOL! Thats funny. :))

brekanarts
Hi, I'm new.

Post by brekanarts »

Advocatus Dei wrote:Aquaponics system in Utah anybody? Would like to see if a successful member has one that I can see? The e-book did not seem bad at all, however, the licensing for fish, no tilapia...

If you could let me know that would be great.
Kinda silly that Tilapia are restricted in Utah. But I can see why... In St. George, the hot spring has invasive Cichlids (same family of fish as Tilapia) in the hot spring pools. They're definately invasive if released into warm brackish water. I own a managuense (or Jaguar) cichlid rescued from that very pool in St. George. They're native to Nicaragua (Tilapia are native to Israel and Egypt). They are mean fish (will eat every other fish in your aquarium). LOL I feed her 24 live minnows at a time and she snaps them up in >24 hours. Tilapia prefer algae and small insects (and will eat their fry). They can be aggressive during mating, thats why for food production they sell all males.

We use Tilapia here in AZ to eat the algae in the CAP Canal system. So they're permited here in Arizona. You can also use catfish if you need a warm temp fish (I can't eat catfish because they are not kosher). In Upper Utah (St. Lake, Sandy, Provo, etc), you can do aquaponics with rainbow trout in a greenhouse year round. If I lived in high country thats what I would do.

Also, the biofilter and duckweed are necessary on larger setups to keep the pH balanced.

BTW, the Deacon ebook is now DOUBLE in price now! @-)

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brekanarts wrote:It's not a scam its a training program, but uses fear and doom to sell information readily found online with a little research (see below). I grow food with aquaponics and my wife calls is a hobby. I use dollar store toppsy turvies and a 50 gallon rubernmaid tote. With my pump my system cost about $75. But, I think you'd need alot more than a $190 to really rpoduce enough food for a family. Maybe three of these 125 gallon IBC tote systems ganged together or a swiming pool conversion could provide enough food.

Be aware aquaponics require electricity to operate properly. In a real crisis situation, the electric company will shut off the power and your "endless supply of fish" will be dead in >24 hours and then slowlt your "pocket-sized garden of eden" will wither and starve for nutrients.

You can learn about affordable aquaponics (systems around $200) by doing a google search of "IBC Tote aquaponics systems"
You can also join the Valley Permaculture Alliance http://www.VALLEYPERMACULTUREALLIANCE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you can take classes from Shari in Gilbert, AZ: http://www.supurbanfarm.com/aquaponics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: I'm not Mormon, I'm an orthodox Jew here in AZ. Incidently, I used to go to stake dances at Ward Seven with Mormon friends in Tempe when I was a kid. :) So I'm looking out for fellow God-fearing pioneers. Alec Deacon uses some trumped up claims on food output and alarmist rhetoric to convince viewers he has the "golden goose" and will share it with you for a "small tuition fee. " You can do this yourself, if you're really interested and motivated.
I'm not that motivated, but the concept has merit. Frankly, I don't know how many people over sixty-five could, or would be willing to rough it. Absence of medical needs would take a toll on many folks as well.

brekanarts
Hi, I'm new.

Post by brekanarts »

freedomfighter wrote: I'm not that motivated, but the concept has merit. Frankly, I don't know how many people over sixty-five could, or would be willing to rough it. Absence of medical needs would take a toll on many folks as well.
Don't worry fellow saints and good hearted Jews like myself will take care of you! Happy Independence Day! :ymcowboy:

America Bless God! (time to show the Creator we're grateful and not taking His Majesty for granted).

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

I wonder, considering the AC requirements of the submersible recirculation pump if a 1' x 3' solar panel, (I think my panel is only 35watts) marine storage battery, and a tiny inverter would be enough to power the system pump only?

fascinating. will get back to watching the instructional video... BTW these IBC's (Intermediate Bulk Containers) with tanks and aluminum frames we always called 275gallon 'totes' or 'mini-bulks'.

Our other priority issue during a power outage during in peak summertime in SW Desert is keeping ourselves cool. We are normally running the Evap coolers which we use for summer temps up to 103-109 unless humid and for which we have portable power generation. Assuming I actually got the generator in a sound-insulated enclosure inside the tin shed and a car sized muffler on it-- keep it in garage? hmmm... actually someone (a handy neighbor) from our previous neighborhood was saying how you could bury a plastic 55 gallon drum to run the exhaust into it having fabricated baffles inside for extra quiet? rather dense living here where we are in blue-collar master-planned HOA-ville. I can see 5 backyards from our 2nd story window. and they can see most of mine as well. Harder to be discrete and unnoticed... in such dense residential 'digs'.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

LesliePOV wrote:I wonder, considering the AC requirements of the submersible recirculation pump if a 1' x 3' solar panel, (I think my panel is only 35watts) marine storage battery, and a tiny inverter would be enough to power the system pump only?

fascinating. will get back to watching the instructional video... BTW these IBC's (Intermediate Bulk Containers) with tanks and aluminum frames we always called 275gallon 'totes' or 'mini-bulks'.

Our other priority issue during a power outage during in peak summertime in SW Desert is keeping ourselves cool. We are normally running the Evap coolers which we use for summer temps up to 103-109 unless humid and for which we have portable power generation. Assuming I actually got the generator in a sound-insulated enclosure inside the tin shed and a car sized muffler on it-- keep it in garage? hmmm... actually someone (a handy neighbor) from our previous neighborhood was saying how you could bury a plastic 55 gallon drum to run the exhaust into it having fabricated baffles inside for extra quiet? rather dense living here where we are in blue-collar master-planned HOA-ville. I can see 5 backyards from our 2nd story window. and they can see most of mine as well. Harder to be discrete and unnoticed... in such dense residential 'digs'.
Ya know, if enough people got their heads together, I'll bet that one heck of a system could be put together that almost anyone could install. Somebody knows how to make home made solar panels, right? That would nearly take care of the power source. I don't know about areas that are overcast almost all winter, though. Could a sump-pump be used to circulate water somehow between the fish tanks and the vegies? Could garden hoses be used instead of PVC for routing?

Just some thoughts.

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

There is a ton of videos and info on the internet... a few different ways to approach the system from a containment and plumbing aspect...

I bought the e book at the link provided and made it my Independence Day study... fascinating concepts of plant / fish symbiosis

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

Here is a video of someone making the watering side of the plants work without electricity. I am not all the way through it so I don't know how he cleans the water for the fish without bucketing it out manually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXy32Dr4Z4A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OOPs edit:

I did not even register the title.. he is only talking about the hydroponic side....

but here below is a method or a complete system of AquaPonics that a gentleman has invented and produces as a turn-key, ready to go, for sale package... a portable farm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCCN4nq7 ... =endscreen talk about massively concentrated production and it is almost idiot proof, as they say.... super reliable and simple

this is very 'interruptive technology' as he puts it indeed... WHAT IF, LITERALLY, LOCALS CAN OPERATE ON ROOFTOPS AND IN BACKYARDS COMPLETE BULK VEGETABLE AND FISH PROTEIN FOOD PRODUCTION....

IT DOES UPSET THE PARADIGM OF CENTRALIZED, American CORPORATE (GOVERNMENT) CONTROL OVER FOOD production and distribution.... also, completely blows the myth of the communist-administered 'collective' farms that helped them starve 10 million Ukranian (mostly Christians) to death in the early 1900's.... the ORIGINALL 'holocaust' of the 20th century

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

LesliePOV wrote:Here is a video of someone making the watering side of the plants work without electricity. I am not all the way through it so I don't know how he cleans the water for the fish without bucketing it out manually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXy32Dr4Z4A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OOPs edit:

I did not even register the title.. he is only talking about the hydroponic side....

but here below is a method or a complete system of AquaPonics that a gentleman has invented and produces as a turn-key, ready to go, for sale package... a portable farm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCCN4nq7 ... =endscreen talk about massively concentrated production and it is almost idiot proof, as they say.... super reliable and simple

this is very 'interruptive technology' as he puts it indeed... WHAT IF, LITERALLY, LOCALS CAN OPERATE ON ROOFTOPS AND IN BACKYARDS COMPLETE BULK VEGETABLE AND FISH PROTEIN FOOD PRODUCTION....

IT DOES UPSET THE PARADIGM OF CENTRALIZED, American CORPORATE (GOVERNMENT) CONTROL OVER FOOD production and distribution.... also, completely blows the myth of the communist-administered 'collective' farms that helped them starve 10 million Ukranian (mostly Christians) to death in the early 1900's.... the ORIGINALL 'holocaust' of the 20th century
What can be done about bad air?

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

Bad air? hmm depends on what you mean. Stinky as in industrial smog or dead people laying about or "bad" as in wartime bad. If war, is it Chem, Bio, or Nuclear or combination?

Are we doing this in a below ground fallout shelter or a green house? If green house what kind of power is available?

Sounds like we better be scaling our food production down to just portable sprouting... the ultimate short-term emergency crop... very portable. supposedly superior nutrition... compact... and did I mention portable as in you are now forced to leave the area?

Your insect picture is pretty. who gets the photo credit?

What is really cool about this aqua culture idea is that you could theoretically do it aboard a boat... a floating aquaponic oasis on the open seas

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

LesliePOV wrote:Bad air? hmm depends on what you mean. Stinky as in industrial smog or dead people laying about or "bad" as in wartime bad. If war, is it Chem, Bio, or Nuclear or combination?

Are we doing this in a below ground fallout shelter or a green house? If green house what kind of power is available?

Sounds like we better be scaling our food production down to just portable sprouting... the ultimate short-term emergency crop... very portable. supposedly superior nutrition... compact... and did I mention portable as in you are now forced to leave the area?

What is really cool about this aqua culture idea is that you could theoretically do it aboard a boat... a floating aquaponic oasis on the open seas
Bad air? Any air that could potentially be hazardous to one's health.
I like the concept of aquaponics, but I think one needs a whole lot more area than I have to use one. I wonder what minimum size of system would be used for a family of four. That guy in the Youtube video looked like he had a lot of acreage...I'm not so fortunate.

I ran across the picture of the insect on the net. It was so attractive, I decided to use it as my avatar...at least for a while. I had a Praying Mantis for a while.

LesliePOV
captain of 100

Post by LesliePOV »

freedomfighter wrote:
LesliePOV wrote:Bad air? hmm depends on what you mean. Stinky as in industrial smog or dead people laying about or "bad" as in wartime bad. If war, is it Chem, Bio, or Nuclear or combination?

Bad air? Any air that could potentially be hazardous to one's health.
I like the concept of aquaponics, but I think one needs a whole lot more area than I have to use one. I wonder what minimum size of system would be used for a family of four. That guy in the Youtube video looked like he had a lot of acreage...I'm not so fortunate.

I ran across the picture of the insect on the net. It was so attractive, I decided to use it as my avatar...at least for a while. I had a Praying Mantis for a while.
I was just curious if you knew what type of bug it was and if it had anything to do with the Bug Master 5000 title you have up there.

If you check out the net you will see other instructional vids that show systems taking not more than an area of 3' x6'. anyone that has room for a work bench, or card table or several potted plants has room for this.... even an apartment balcony. If I was worried about bad air in terms of normal pollutants and had extremes in weather to consider I would maybe drape a corner of our patio out back. and run an evaporative cooler into it. I have a small backyard with a trampoline and more stored items on our covered patio than my wife would really prefer (having condensed down from a 1/2acre lot) and I already have blue poly barrels of a couple size which can be halved longways and used well for this. But I have found someone who says I can have a a 275 IBC 'tote' that used to have a concrete admixture (earth-oxide colorant) for free. cuz I had previous dealings with him...

So I am going to give this a try... this may be the MOST valuable item I have learned about here... I could even displace part of my garage-based supplies for this... but then you need grow lights too.

Fascinating stuff. Feed the people! Think about it. This really rounds out with sprouting and wheat-grass production.